• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or INFP?

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I'll try to give a brief overture of my MBTI history and then I'll tell you my concerns about it, my objections, etc. After that, you can feel free to comment, posit what you believe my type to be, interrogate me, and so forth; I am new here, by the way. ;)

My first time taking the test, I scored as an INTP. This is what I score 99% of the time, although T is usually only ahead of F by 5-10%. When I first began taking the test, I was definitively an INTP as I scored highly on each of those traits so there was not a lot of margin for contention between certain traits or two temperaments.

After taking the time to analyze the questions more closely, I have started taking the test again while answering the questions more honestly and I noticed a significant increase in F. Before, I was scoring as high as 70% on T, but now I am threatening to break even. Honesty matters, it would seem.

So, I take the test today and T/F are split perfectly. Awesome. :blush: For now, I think it is more reasonable to type myself "INxP" rather than pigeonhole myself into one of the Nx camps.

Personally, I feel I am a rather emotional INTP. This may sound like an oxymoron, but allow me to explain. First of all, compare INTP traits to INFP traits. The INTP traits describe me exceptionally well and plenty of people that know me well in real life were willing to corroborate this.

Likewise, INFP traits describe me well but not as well. Frankly, the INFP traits seem like they would form a very fickle and sensitive person; one whom is likely to easily start crying and curling into a ball. While it is arguable that I am somewhat sensitive, I cry maybe five to ten times a year? Maybe that's a bad range, but that's what I'm thinking.

If it helps, I'll give you guys some of my main interests: philosophy, neuroscience, poetry, literature, music (mainly grounded in '90s hip-hop and technical metal), physics. When I'm talking to people, I love one-on-one, candid discussions. Even If I intellectually outweigh the person, I will gladly talk to them for as long as they please if they are honest, sincere, and open. Of course, intelligence helps but intelligence without sincerity tends to lose my interest or make me turn the conversation into a game of "dispute everything/accept nothing." I like to wryly argue and play devil's advocate when I do decide to talk to people. That being said, I am more than willing to listen to people that I feel I can learn something from.

Also worth noting: I am currently dating an ISFJ that I had a long-time crush on, and I cannot get enough of her physical affection. I love even the slightest touching with her, and cuddling with her is inexplicably wonderful. What up, though. :wubbie:

I tend to dislike: art, auto mechanics, competition, being around loud noise, being around aggressive people I do not know well/have preexisting relations with, confrontation, approaching people. I am not very good at small talk and when I try to do it, I am often shunned or perceived as flippant and unaware (evident in people's reactions). This is where I derive the "detachment" part of being an INTP.

So, that wraps up my navel-gazing, unwelcome noob of a tl;dr. ;) Hopefully this wasn't too offensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
First off let me start by saying, welcome to the forums NegativeZero :hi: :)

What I would be careful of, when searching for what your type is, are the descriptions of the particular types. I'm saying that they're wrong or anything, just that they can be innacurate (like INFP's are not basket cases/fluffy bunnies, nor are INTP's robots).

What you need to examine in this case if whether you use Fi or Ti more (cognitive functions, http://www.bestfittype.com/cognitiveprocesses.html). Fi dom is INFP, Ti dom is INTP.

Also enneagram 5 could make you appear to be INTP even though you may be INFP, although I get a bit of an INFP vibe from you.

Hope that helps, and I hope you enjoy it here around the forums. :D

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
I totally understand what you are saying. I see the F from time to time as well

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
@Savage Idealist

Hey, thanks for that link! That is a REALLY tough decision for me. As far as I can tell, I use both Ti and Fi frequently and often times simultaneously. However, I'd say that I use Fi prior to using Ti in almost all situations (although the combination of them is subsequent in almost all situations). Would this make me an INFP then?

@Beargryllz

Glad I'm not the only one. :)

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How about when there's a conflict between Ti and Fi? When push comes to shove, which one do you favor when you finally have to decide? And what do the final phases of deciding something work for you?

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, as I already stated, my initial reaction seems to be grounded in Fi. However, I usually let Ti take over from there once I have "filtered" everything through my Fi. If I had to pick one that suited me more in general, I'd say Ti. It is still a close battle between the two despite that, and sometimes I lean on my Fi. Simply, I use my Ti to analyze my Fi readings.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Even If I intellectually outweigh the person, I will gladly talk to them for as long as they please if they are honest, sincere, and open

LMAO

I mean, INTP.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by NegativeZero
Hey, thanks for that link! That is a REALLY tough decision for me. As far as I can tell, I use both Ti and Fi frequently and often times simultaneously. However, I'd say that I use Fi prior to using Ti in almost all situations (although the combination of them is subsequent in almost all situations). Would this make me an INFP then?

Probably yes. Although are you certain that what you're using is really Te and not Ti? I mean INFP's can have a well developed inferior Te, which is used after you use Fi. If that is the cae then INFP could be more likely.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah! I was "5" on the T side when I first took the MBTI. The other values were extreme. Since I was close to the center on F and T, I researched both. I could see myself in both, but many said INTP (my Spock character). Yet, on the inside I knew that had sort of fuzzy tendencies and made many decisions based on how I feel.

Right now, I'm listing myself as INXP, though I'm probably a fuzz more INFP. As I said in many threads, I use both Fi and Ti either together or in tandem fluctuations.

I believe it's where your focus is, and this may change depending on the situation. If you are solving a math problem, then Ti is likely to dominate. I'm using Fi to remember the customer and what they like. At the same time I'm running information to check for correct shape, color, and disease...very "logically".

You sound like you could be INTP but everyone uses less preferred preference. I'm having to use a lot of extroversion, and SJ characteristics like "making things clean and neat." You have to use all functions at some point. If I didn't Sense things, then I'd be walking into things all the time like I used to do. If I didn't sense at all, then I couldn't drive.

Edit: come to think of it, I did fail the driving portion of my driver's test FOUR times before they gave me a license. I went straight through intersections without seeing stop signs. I turned the wrong direction. Etc. INP is quite clear with me. F and T, not so sure.

But I think you are probably INTP, but your wouldn't be human if you didn't feel something.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
Thanks for all the responses, you guys. :D

@BAJ

Hey, I'm glad you can relate! Yeah, I identify a lot more with INTP characteristics, but I also exhibit a hell of a lot of INFP qualities.

@Savage Idealist

I am definitely not using Te, although I feel the line is a bit blurred between them. There are parts of Te and Ti that are the same, so I feel they sort of bleed together. I am almost 100% positive that my Ti trails my Fi, not Te.

All in all, I'm still confused on my typing. Oh well.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am definitely not using Te, although I feel the line is a bit blurred between them. There are parts of Te and Ti that are the same, so I feel they sort of bleed together. I am almost 100% positive that my Ti trails my Fi, not Te.

All in all, I'm still confused on my typing. Oh well.

In that regard, I'd say you seem more like an INFP with really good Ti (fairly common), your demeanor just seems more F than it does T. Also F's who are 5w4 can seem like T's when they really are not. :)

So you could assume that, or if you want to go into further detail you could always analyze your third function . . . (Te/Fe)

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I'm an INFP. That actually does seem likely, and many people remarked (on another forum I've been posting on for 4+ years) that they would have typed me as an INFP, not an INTP. Thanks a bunch for your help! :)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I'm an INFP. That actually does seem likely, and many people remarked (on another forum I've been posting on for 4+ years) that they would have typed me as an INFP, not an INTP. Thanks a bunch for your help! :)

Yay! Another INFP on the forums! You guys rock! :D

And you're welcome, glad to be of help :)

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
So, can this be finalized? Does anyone else have conflicting opinions? If not, I think it is safe to declare myself an INFP and adjourn this MBTI session. ;)

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, can this be finalized? Does anyone else have conflicting opinions? If not, I think it is safe to declare myself an INFP and adjourn this MBTI session. ;)

Well nothing can ever truly be "finalized", I mean I used to think that I was INTJ but I recognized that I could be wrong. And let's not forget that type could always change in the future, in addition to greater self-discovery of who you are. But to just simply say INFP for now, move on, and come back to the typing yourself thing after you've accumelated more information, would be the ideal route :)