• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

difficulty with MBTI tests

jnick1972

I've looked at many different MBTI tests on the net and I have a hard time making up my mind on how I should answer some of the questions. (I have a high reading comprehension and an excellent vocabulary--that's not the problem). My problem is that every test I've seen contains at least some questions that are, in actuality, asking about two differing traits, and my answers on those two traits would be in conflict with each other, but I'm only allowed to give one answer, of course. For example, one test has this question:

"I sometimes feel neglected but would never say so..."

When I'm feeling neglected, I do speak up, at least to the people closest to me. If I say that the statement above does not apply to me, it appears as though I'm saying that I never feel neglected, but if I ever did, I would speak up. If I say that the above statement strongly applies to me, it appears as though I'm saying that yes, I do sometimes feel neglected, but I don't speak up. Either way, part of my answer would be false.

As I said, I can't find any test that doesn't have such conflicting statements on it. And I never know exactly how to answer. I could always answer "depends" or give the middle number, depending on the format of the test, but it seems that doing that on too many questions will affect the accuracy of the test.

Any advice would be appreciated.

And yes, I'm aware that I'm way too analytical, and that perhaps the fact that I have problems with these types of questions in itself says something about my type. :)

redacted

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

that test doesn't make you choose between different traits.

it's not that great, though. actually, i've never seen a "good" test. you gotta actually familiarize yourself with each of the eight functions and then choose your most used pair to really figure out your MBTI type.

descriptions of functions:
Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

And yes, I'm aware that I'm way too analytical, and that perhaps the fact that I have problems with these types of questions in itself says something about my type.

you're an N, probably an NT. :)

don't worry, i felt the exact same thing as you.

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
"I sometimes feel neglected but would never say so..."

The point of the question is if you'd "act out" if you were neglected. Even if you don't ever feel neglected, imagine yourself being neglected. Would you let others know that you feel neglected?

That's what those questions are trying to figure out. How you would react in those circumstances.

Basically the question/statement is saying: "I feel neglected" (even if you really don't). But if you did, would you say so that you feel neglected?

Now you can answer.

jnick1972

Thanks for the explanation, deep rain, that was helpful.

dissonance, thanks for the links. I took the test you linked me to and tested as ISTJ. There's absolutely no doubt about the I and J, but I really don't know whether I'm an N or an S and whether I'm a T or an F. It's frustrating. I closely fit the descriptions for both INFJ and ISTJ.

I have some more questions regarding my cofusion over my type but perhaps I should start a new thread specifically addressing my other questions, because they don't really fall under the title I gave this thread.