• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type Do You Think I Am?

Which type do you think I am? (Feel free to post why you think so as a reply)

• INTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTP

• INFP

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • ENFP

• INTJ

• ENTJ

• INFJ

• ENFJ

• ISTP

• ESTP

• ISFP

• ESFP

• ISTJ

• ESTJ

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hmmm... can you tell us some more about yourself? :huh:

such as where you're having trouble with your type and what dichotomies confuse you?

:)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You don't have that many personal posts- about your life and how you see ti and what you do... so I have no clue.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A little about myself

There are two types in particular I am confused about: INFP & INTP
However, I am open to other suggestions.

I am currently a freshman at Duke. I used to think I was a definite NT. However, I have learned that over time, that my reasoning isn't as T as I thought it was. A couple of the things that make me consider F over T.. introverted feeling over introverted thinking.

1.) I am often the person that people come to when they have problems with their lives. I tend to not care if people come to me with the same problems since I know all many of these people are looking for are reassurance. This because T's goal is efficiency while F's goal is harmony. However, the two can mix. For example, unharmonious relationships can lead to a lack of efficiency and pointless squabbles.

2.) I tend to have hunches on things which I later rationalize through logic. If logic says that it is ridiculous and stupid, I won't follow that hunch. Otherwise, why not?

3.) All the INFP descriptions say that this type is uncomfortable expressing their emotions anyway, which is something I'm not especially fond of or good at.

4.) I read somewhere that F's tend to have a subconscious preference when making a decision and then rationalize it and notice it, while T's prefer to skip that right away and head straight to pro's and cons. If this is true, I would be an F and not a T.

5.) NF's are extremely relationship focused, which is something I definitely am. I'm always out to make good friends. I feel that if I was a lonely person that I would be unhappy. I already know (not to be arrogant) that I am intelligent. I don't need to prove to people that I am. I want to prove to people that I am authentic, like an NF would, a person that is real.

Also for other things.. I am right now looking at being an Econ/Math major, but that may change soon. I have always been interested in Psychology and I have friends who ask me why I don't just do that but my parents are very against the idea of me having a 'fluff major'. They are also the ones paying for my education.. so.. unless I'm failing out of my math/econ classes, then that will probably be the route I want to take. Right now, I am thinking about law school. I like to debate and discuss issues and ideas with other people and when I believe in something, I can be very charismatic and persuasive. I am good at logic tests and logic puzzles, but however, I could still be an F with developed logic skills. Overall, I am still a fairly emotional person inside. I am touchy-feely and like to give hugs. I want to help people and that is one of the things that makes me the happiest, knowing that I made another person happier or kept a person happy. I don't know exactly who I am just yet. I am still learning that myself.

One thing I love about college is the independence I have, no one orders me around to do anything. I can do anything on my own time. So INFP & INTP are the two types that I am considering the most. A part of me is even doubting my introversion, since I love being with people and if they are interesting, I get energized by them. It has been hard to find these sorts of people though. I get bored by many and choose my friends wisely.

The only requirement for me for a person to be my friend is that if I can have interesting and deep conversations with them. This applies to all types and I have met boring people of every type before (except INTJ's.. that type is just awesome in general!).

Hope this helps!

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hmm, a few more questions: What was the greatest interpersonal conflict you've ever had?

What's your life philosophy and how did you reach it? (events, thought patterns, etc.)

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hmm, a few more questions: What was the greatest interpersonal conflict you've ever had?

What's your life philosophy and how did you reach it? (events, thought patterns, etc.)

Some of the worst interpersonal conflicts I have were during middle school with classmates who saw me as 'weird' and 'different'. I would always get into these stupid arguments with them and then I eventually just decided to ignore them.. in the sense that if these specific few people would try to talk to me.. I would pretend they weren't there. Other conflicts are sort of short-lived. I used to be a lot more extroverted back in the day. Then I became more self-conscious and began to withdraw more and gained a low-quantity but high-quality group of friends in high school. College has been high in quantity friend-wise, but there are only a few friendships which I'd consider high-quality.

There was a time during first semester when my roommate and I were both thinking of room transfers. Our personalities often clashed.. especially the N/S conflict. My roommate is most likely an ESTP, possibly ESTJ. There was also a Felix/Oscar-ish conflict. I am one of the messiest college students out there and he is one of the neatest. We often made good drinking buddies though. However, as second semester came around, our relationship has gotten better.. we aren't the best of friends or anything like that but it's better. He tends to act more like a douchebag around me when certain people are around. When it is just the two of us or we are with another set of people (nicer types), he is nice and cool.
We are both pledging.. but with different fraternities (mine is a nerdy one though, not your traditional frat in that respect, while he is pledging a more traditional frat). I'm rooming with someone who I believe is most likely an INTJ next year.

My life philosophy is to be fair and tolerant of others. My philosophy is to have my own set of ideas but to never put other people down. I am also working on adding the fact that I should work to my potential. I am always out to learn new things and desire to improve myself in all areas of my life. I want to make sure that I am more than satisfied with life and that my friends are satisfied with life too. I am liberal politically, mostly due to the fact that I think most conservatives have ridiculously outdated views on social issues (abortion, gay marriage...). One of the few Republicans I wouldn't mind being President is John McCain.. and look he's the candidate now. I think that says something about what kind of person the voters want. I am still developing what my actual philosophy is, experiment with what works and what doesn't. I have worked it out by seeing what gets people to listen to me or gravitate towards me and what doesn't. I get it by seeing which actions and thoughts lead to my happiness and which ones don't.

Hope this helps!

nemo

Enneagram
<3
F isn't about a lack of logic. I think it's more a different way of internalizing logic.

My NF friend and I used to discuss this quite a bit.

To him, logic was something that reflects our finite understanding of the world and is not applicable everywhere, so there's room for certain human values to fill in the gaps. He could reason extremely rigorously, in a very logical-deductive manner, but some of the propositions and rules he used to arrive at his decisions were essentially assumed from his various experiences with people. And this was always under revision.

To me, logic is beyond any human interpretation of it. Maybe some of your data is subject to interpretation, but in general if you don't like what the logical conclusion says, too f***ing bad.

The difference becomes especially apparent when dealing with people. Otherwise, we appear pretty much the same -- like if we were in a math class or something, we could follow the logic equally well.

In any case, my NF friend prides himself on being "logical." And I think he definitely is. Just in different ways.

Other thoughts:

- People come to me for for advice with problems in their lives, too. I'm surprisingly good at reading people, and I don't think that in and of itself is either NT or NF. But I tend to give a no-BS analysis for them, and only vaguely attempt to dress it up nicely.

- You're right about there being overlap: I definitely would dress it up if I thought harmony was more efficient. On the other hand, I might be ridiculously blunt if I thought studying their reaction might be interesting/revealing. I'm sort of prone to running weird social experiments like that, although this might be more of an ENTP thing; and I can be pretty utilitarian with the people involved.

- I like to alleviate suffering and make people happy, too. In fact, I'm involved in *lots* of humanitarian causes, especially international ones that might be considered a very NF type thing. Also volunteering in hospitals, etc. But -- and I don't mean to sound cold or anything -- my care is pretty intellectualized. Some of my NF friends can be moved to tears by simply reading a press release or viewing a picture of something suffering. It would be pretty hard for that to happen to me, I just don't have that much emotional attachment. I simply think that human suffering is bad, and we all have a choice to either do something to heal this aching, broken world, or to ignore it and do nothing. It doesn't seem like much of a choice, does it?

- Both NTs and NFs (and every other type) are emotionally very deep. But how sophisticated do you think your emotions are? How much more complicated do you see your emotional understanding of the world from when you were younger?

That's about all I can think of for now.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From reading your posts in this thread my, I see a fair amount of similarities to my own thinking, and my rough inclination is toward INFx, but its not uncommon for INxP to look alike and even have similar goals, but the motivation behind those goals and actions may help point toward your true type.

When I was considering the possibility that I may be an INTP, reading this excellent INTP profile steered me away from it since there was enough in it that clearly did not apply to me.

An INTP Profile

After reading that, give this INFP profile a read.

E. Buie -> INFP Profile

If both of them seem to fit equally well, then just consider yourself INxP and pay attention to what things you enjoy doing and what things you dislike doing then try to see if those activities correlate to any specific process or type. And if you have not already done so, I'd recommend reading "Please Understand me II" by David Keirsey and see if you relate to the general temperament of NF or NT stonger than the other (I don't agree with all of his ideas, but found his description of NFs to be a very clear match to my values and motivations).

If neither of them fit, you might be either an E or a J (and there are a lot of myths surrounding the J/P dichotomy (should be several threads on it here somewhere), so don't rule out J just because you don't fit the stereotype of J traits (J/P can be a lot more difficult to determine from tests for introverts because of that)).

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Ha! Who voted ESTJ! I voted ESFJ, but I was gonna guess ESTJ. Why? Just because. Actually, it's because I think these threads are stupid. Knowing how to describe yourself with some system doesn't change who you are. If you're borderline, you'll exhibit features of both personality profiles and can use both for insight into who you are. THERE IS NO LAW OR RULE THAT SAYS PEOPLE COME WITH THEIR TYPES PRESORTED. MBTI is a classification system, like height. You can group people into tall or short with some cutoff, lets say 6"0. If you're right at the cusp, does it make much sense to ask if you're tall or not? Not really. Even if tall people are more predisposed towards some things (early death, knee problems) than short people. These things all exist on spectra, and MBTI is descriptive only.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Principles and values seem so similar to me, except I guess principles are based on objective criteria while values are based on subjective. All the INXP descriptions have,
"They are usually pretty laid back, but run the fuck away once you violate one of their values/principles."..

"For INFPs, the distinction between friends and acquaintances is very important; an acquaintance is someone they spend time with while a friend is someone with whom an INFP can share ideas and feelings. Their most valuable friends are people who understand their important values and accept them unconditionally.".. I can relate to this part very well.

In terms of Keirsey's book, I have similar values to that of the NF but actually found myself relating pretty nicely to the ENFP (Advocate) description as someone who is willing to stand up for what he believes in and as someone who can be outgoing when he wants to. INFP also seemed to fit as well though. However, Keirsey doesn't go into Introversion/Extraversion that much and never considered it to be important in terms of determining personality type. The INTP one fit to some extent as well. I test as a T more often, but I relate more to the INFP descriptions than the INTP (especially when reading Keirsey's book.. I have more NF-related motivations than NT, but that temperament comes in second place for sure) I have been open to the idea of being an Extravert who takes pleasure in solitary activities as well. I found that second semester has been a lot better for me in college than first since I have met more people I get along with easier. I am energized by people if they interest me.. otherwise.. I get bored. I am horrible at typing Introversion/Extraversion for other people. Especially when they are Introverts that I can get talking about many issues for hours, I messed up this preference many times. I rarely mistype an Extravert (except if they are the shy type) but often mistype an Introvert (those I mistype are never shy and are often quite assertive, but enjoy solitude and strongly prefer one-to-one conversations and keep them up).

nemo: That is the one thing about my situation with dealing with people, I often think that keeping harmony is more efficient. This way of acting socially could still make me an NT of some sort.

Haha to those who voted ESFJ or ESTJ, those are actually the two types I was like (when reading the descriptions).. these sound nothing like me. I am likely just an INXP, but it would also be good to see if I can narrow it down happily. :D

Tenebrous Reflection: Interesting that you make that comment about the J/P dichotomy. I was thinking about it and for a while I thought I was a J till I went to college. I attend a college in which there are a lot of hardworking, ambitious people which brings many J types. I just never had that same ambition, that same desire to 'succeed' as others have. I am not the best at organizing things and at group meetings, I am more so the guy who will come up with many ideas but kind of sit back when people are working the logistics of the plan itself, which is something J's seem to love doing. Also I know a stereotype of J's is that they are more assertive than P's but that isn't always true. I have an INTP friend who has a very dominant personality, is witty and sarcastic and has high self esteem. He just isn't much of a planner and does things on the spur of the moment (I have also considered ISTP for him). One of my sister's best friends is an ISFJ who tends to be very indecisive and passive but strongly desires order in her life and is organized. So from experience, I understand that the J's aren't always the more assertive ones. I tend to procrastinate on everything and am good at improvising and speaking off the cuff.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From TenebrousReflection's link:
Sometimes INFPs deny having ideals or principles since it's possible to equate a reliance on principles with dogmatism and inflexibility. Instead, they prefer to talk about feelings: not momentary emotional states but the personal values on which the feeling function operates.

That really rang true for what I know of my INFP friend. On the surface, we are quite similar and get along wonderfully.

How we express our emotions is also really different. I *think* I am very emotionally expressive and am always honest as to how I feel about given things. However, after one incident in which I was emotionally overloaded and went into a complete emotional meltdown in front of a group of friends (crying and the works), one commented later that this was the first time she had seen me care/get worked up about something, which absolutely flummoxed me. What I had read as emotionally expressive (most through my words), was not emotionally demonstrative to others.

The INFPs I've known are subtlely emotionally demonstrative. My INFP friend can tend to withdraw when she is reevaluating... not that she would really 'fess up to any conclusions she's drawn.

Don't know if the rest will help, but: I have a lot of hubris in the ideals I hold up and implement, and am willing to draw the line in the sand- and usually am proven wrong with such silly rules/assessments such as "honesty is the best policy" or "everything can be meaninglessly delineated into a 'best answer' multiple choice question". My INFP friend doesn't really share her general ideals, but when someone doesn't measure up, she reacts very quickly. Some guy she goes out with on two dates, but he's not THAT guy (in her mind), he's out. But she's too nice to let him down too hard, and she often goes through more turmoil trying to figure out how not traumatize him than he does after the fact.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Also from what I have said about myself, how likely of a possibility is ENFP or ENTP?

I can be very social and assertive when I am with people who I am interested in and have a lot in common with, but I tend to quiet down and not show much interest in people otherwise.

Don't know if the rest will help, but: I have a lot of hubris in the ideals I hold up and implement, and am willing to draw the line in the sand- and usually am proven wrong with such silly rules/assessments such as "honesty is the best policy" or "everything can be meaninglessly delineated into a 'best answer' multiple choice question". My INFP friend doesn't really share her general ideals, but when someone doesn't measure up, she reacts very quickly. Some guy she goes out with on two dates, but he's not THAT guy (in her mind), he's out. But she's too nice to let him down too hard, and she often goes through more turmoil trying to figure out how not traumatize him than he does after the fact.

Colors: Interesting that you say that, I dated someone (an ISFP) who acted similarly to your INFP friend.. definitely an Introverted Feeling thing.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tenebrous Reflection: Interesting that you make that comment about the J/P dichotomy. I was thinking about it and for a while I thought I was a J till I went to college. I attend a college in which there are a lot of hardworking, ambitious people which brings many J types. I just never had that same ambition, that same desire to 'succeed' as others have. I am not the best at organizing things and at group meetings, I am more so the guy who will come up with many ideas but kind of sit back when people are working the logistics of the plan itself, which is something J's seem to love doing. Also I know a stereotype of J's is that they are more assertive than P's but that isn't always true. I have an INTP friend who has a very dominant personality, is witty and sarcastic and has high self esteem. He just isn't much of a planner and does things on the spur of the moment (I have also considered ISTP for him). One of my sister's best friends is an ISFJ who tends to be very indecisive and passive but strongly desires order in her life and is organized. So from experience, I understand that the J's aren't always the more assertive ones. I tend to procrastinate on everything and am good at improvising and speaking off the cuff.

Here is a link to the post I was refering to

Another book I'd highly recomend is Personality Type: An Owners Manual by Lenore Thomson. Here is a a snippit from it which may provide a different way of looking at J/P

It should be remembered that J and P traits are most pronounced in our dealings with the outer world. When we're alone, doing exactly what we want to do, we may exhibit some traits that conflict with our P or J designation. For example, TJs may be highly task oriented in their career objectives, but somewhat indecisive in their personal lives. FPs may be highly flexible in social situations , but exacting in areas important to themselves. This outer/inner division is the normal state of affairs - for all types.

Extreme extraverts, therefore may find that their self-experience coincides almost entirely with their P or J traits. For extreme Introverts, the opposite is true. That is, high-scoring Introverts generally find that their self-experinece coincides strongly with many traits opposed to their P or J designation

Also from what I have said about myself, how likely of a possibility is ENFP or ENTP?

I can be very social and assertive when I am with people who I am interested in and have a lot in common with, but I tend to quiet down and not show much interest in people otherwise.

Colors: Interesting that you say that, I dated someone (an ISFP) who acted similarly to your INFP friend.. definitely an Introverted Feeling thing.

I used to think I/E was pretty straight forward until I heard the theory of looking at it from the point of view of what energizes you more. For example, I don't think I'm an E, but I do enjoy spending time with small groups (3 to 5) of friends doing things, but after a whole day of that, I do usually need an off day to balance it out. Unless I've had a lot of social activity tho, being alone does not give me any energy and being alone for too long can also take its toll on me. I think my expereince in that regard is still indicative of Introversion preference, and an Extravert would not need the alone time to re-energize after a day of that (maybe some extraverts could comment there for you to have a better perspective).

Another way to look at it if you are considering between xNxP types is if you think Ne could be your dominant process then that can make a good case for the possibility of being ENxP, but if you are fairly certain you use Ne as the role of helper (can still be a strong function in that role too, its just more focused toward generating ideas to serve the goals of the dominant function), then INxP is more likely.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have done my research on Introverted Thinking and Introverted Feeling. I think that what I thought was Ti is actually Fi. I think it is logical to always have good and meaningful relationships. However, I realize that I always take a personal side for everything, it's just that thankfully I don't let it get to me and I can make a calm, objective decision when necessary and finally Extroversion just doesn't make sense for me intuitively.

So I have decided: INFP.