• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do the order of my functions make me an ISFP or does it just mean the mbti is stupid?

B

brainheart

I've been reading lots o' Jung and... If someone were to hold a gun to my head and make me pick functions, I'd probably go with Fi/Ni. If that same person didn't let up til I picked some extraverted functions as well, I'd probably mutter Se, maybe Ne, and um, a bit of Te.

I think the Te part of me feels this need to fit in the system, so it keeps asking me, where do we put you? The ISFP bin? Or is it INFJ? INFP? INTP? Read more. Gather more info from experts. Then we'll get you. (Or is that Ne?)

Fi says, who gives a crap, you're you.

Ni says, cognitive functions and the MBTI are some dopey thing humans created to try and explain something that really doesn't need to be explained because all you need to know is in you already. And what can you know, really?

Se says, would you go to bed, nitwit? You're tired and hung over from a really fun night last night. And your bed is so soft, and sleep is so lovely...

So here I am. And yes, I know my perceiving functions are exerting judgment in my examples, but how else do I make them talk?

B

brainheart

I will try to clarify-

I have a really hard time extroverted myself these days. I have all of these clear visions, clarity in my head- it makes sense in my head, but I don't know how to convey it. That's what I like about drawing, photography, film, music. It can be nebulous.

Defining my dominant, auxiliary functions is difficult for this reason, giving them an extroverted, objective shape. I know who I am, deep down, although I may look anything but on the surface.

I can say this much, the exterior world disappears from me with ease. I lose all track of time, temporal space. Oftentimes I feel like this empty conduit for something, I don't know what- perception? It's like I'm a pair of glasses, and sometimes they are the right prescription, everything's sharp, clear, while other times there are finger smudges all over them and they are bifocals and I can't see a damn thing and they give me a headache.

But if I step outdoors, force myself to really look at things, really engage, I am filled with love. I see a bird, a blade of grass and it's so perfect and beautiful and I tell it I love it and I mean it with everything within me. Unfortunately this is not an easy thing for me to do.

That's all I got for now.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like your stuck in a dom-tert loop, or an Fi-Ni loop, with under used Se (this could apply to other funtion loops and underused functions as well, considering that your type doesn't seem to be certain).

However, it's important not to over analyze something like MBTI too much it it doesn't really get you anywhere. If you feel that your ISFP, then chances you are, but maybe another set of functions fits you better.

And as I like to share this with others, this test could provide some insightful results: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

Hope that helps. :)

B

brainheart

What I got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.6)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.4)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************************** (39.1)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************************** (50.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************* (13.4)
unused
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************** (20.6)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************** (30.1)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************** (44.1)
excellent use

The Fe in here seems way different than other descriptions, including Jung. Jungian descriptions I don't relate to Fe in the remote slightest. It's pretty much the polar opposite of me.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm.... interesting results. It seems though, that your an INFP, with an unusally high Ni and good Se, which may explain why you seemed ISFP as well. Although you wouldn't be the first person to have unique results where certain functions that don't go together are both the highest.

B

brainheart

My issue is typology doesn't seem to describe me as accurately as the enneagram. I'm very much in the lower average levels of 5 at the moment- think Rolling Stones 'Paint it Black'- which I think can feel very Ni. I like to think of myself as a 4w5 because I'm artistic, etc, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've descended to lower levels of 4 while the 5 deal is pretty much my m.o.

So I think I'm a 5w4 INFP which just makes things seem weird.

You don't get much more descriptive of me than this:

The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been reading lots o' Jung and... If someone were to hold a gun to my head and make me pick functions, I'd probably go with Fi/Ni. If that same person didn't let up til I picked some extraverted functions as well, I'd probably mutter Se, maybe Ne, and um, a bit of Te.

I think the Te part of me feels this need to fit in the system, so it keeps asking me, where do we put you? The ISFP bin? Or is it INFJ? INFP? INTP? Read more. Gather more info from experts. Then we'll get you. (Or is that Ne?)

Fi says, who gives a crap, you're you.
Ni says, cognitive functions and the MBTI are some dopey thing humans created to try and explain something that really doesn't need to be explained because all you need to know is in you already. And what can you know, really?

Se says, would you go to bed, nitwit? You're tired and hung over from a really fun night last night. And your bed is so soft, and sleep is so lovely...

So here I am. And yes, I know my perceiving functions are exerting judgment in my examples, but how else do I make them talk?

actually, given the type most likely to be interested in MBTI is INFP, that's probably not the case. I think Fi is propelling you to ask "how do I work as a person? what makes me tick? where are my hidden strengths?" the "you're you, who gives a crap" I think is more your 4 wing

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Brainheart
My issue is typology doesn't seem to describe me as accurately as the enneagram. I'm very much in the lower average levels of 5 at the moment- think Rolling Stones 'Paint it Black'- which I think can feel very Ni. I like to think of myself as a 4w5 because I'm artistic, etc, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've descended to lower levels of 4 while the 5 deal is pretty much my m.o.

So I think I'm a 5w4 INFP which just makes things seem weird.

Well, not all descriptions describe people accurately (in fact there was a recent thread where people voted for whether the identify more with their MBTI or eneagram), hell the ENFP description only like half fits me, but by the end of the day I'm still ENFP.

Also, MBTI isn't perfect, and a lot of times it doesn't make too much sense, giving you vauge decriptions of yourself your frcing you to consider another type. Especially the function order, which I've found to be confusing when peoples functions vary somewhat wildly (although I think there should be more types for different variations of functions (like type VXYZ (Fi - Te - Ni - Se))).