• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Such Irony an atypical INTP or something else? Vote please.

Find the most suitable box for Such Irony

• Total voters

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/33487-i-am-just-atypical-intp-what.html

Maybe I'm just in a Ti/Si loop. FWIW, I find I have quite a bit in common with ISFJ even though they only share introversion in common with INTP.

I'm finding that I identify some with the SJ temperament. I am very security oriented and dependable. I have a strong need to feel like I belong. Where I differ is that I'm not all that traditionally minded and a hell of a lot more theoretical and less practical.

So please vote in my poll as to what you think my best fit type is.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
You don't seem all that different to an INTP friend of mine - even with the un-T like aspects (he does the exact same things! Its crazy!). He has a strong emotional influence within him but doesn't fit the F style at all. So I would say it is still quite possible you are a INTP.

I have been lately beginning to question the stereotypical image I have of INTPs. The do seem to be the most NF like of the NTs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FWIW, I find I have quite a bit in common with ISFJ even though they only share introversion in common with INTP.

I'm finding that I identify some with the SJ temperament. I am very security oriented and dependable. I have a strong need to feel like I belong. Where I differ is that I'm not all that traditionally minded and a hell of a lot more theoretical and less practical.

:hi:

Toldja we were a great deal alike. :)

I was raised by ISFJs, married one, and nowadays when I'm with NTPs I find myself being the most SFJ thing there, and when I'm with SFJs, I'm the most NTP.

I was the oldest in my family and felt like I had to take care of everyone. So... responsible, dependable, take commitments seriously, HATE not being able to keep my promises if situations change. And I want badly to fit somewhere, even though I feel like I never do.

But no, I'm not traditional. I'm about the future, and change, and I want to do what works after I model everything in my head. I can act inside the box, and I see a need for order in order to increase efficiency sometimes, but it's just a pretense; I'm not a box person at all, actually. I can coexist with box people for long periods of time, but often become very frustrated by them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/33487-i-am-just-atypical-intp-what.html

Maybe I'm just in a Ti/Si loop. FWIW, I find I have quite a bit in common with ISFJ even though they only share introversion in common with INTP.

Interestingly, my main reason for thinking you're not an INTP... isn't your display of concern for not feeling significant, but rather your usernames. I mean, come on... Paradigm Shift and Such Irony? :rofl1: You're clearly an INJ! Those do not sound like INTP usernames. INTPs can be sarcastic and apathetic, but they don't seem to be that into paradigm shifts or irony. Every INJ I've met usually is, though.

That thread WAS the reason I chose INFJ over INTJ, though... along with the fact that T and P were the two weakest letters in your type when you displayed it, and I know that stressed INFJs can sometimes look like INTPs. I know that's kind of a long shot, but there it is.

A lot of people will probably rationalize why you're an INTP, though... once you've chosen a type, confirmation bias tends to result in making you keep it. Especially since you've chosen type 5 on the Enneagram and admitted to being Socionics LII, people will be quick to assure you that you're an INTP, even though that assumption might have influenced the other choices. Incidentally, INTP is also the type where the most variations of expression are accepted, because a lot of people are eager to define it inclusively due to complicated forum history.

Being more theoretical and less practical than an ISFJ, can be a very strong sign that you're INFJ, also.

But again, I'm certain that all the "INTPs" will come on here and tell you they identify with you, so... ah, well. I guess it doesn't matter.

I think that I should point out that I'm a believer in functions over dichotomies when typing, though. I don't believe in the concept of an INTP with a weak T, because Ti is their dominant function. You could have an INTP with a weak N, but not a weak T. I believe that an INTP with a "weak T" is actually one of the following types:

1. A very lazy INTJ.
2. A very antisocial/depressed INFJ.
3. An INFP who mistakes their Fi for Ti.

The_World_As_Will

In light of my recent thread of not feeling significant on the forum I have to wonder if I'm really an INTP. I don't know many INTPs who would give a damn about that. I have other reasons to doubt INTP. If you don't mind reading longer posts, I've referenced my type doubts in this thread

I'm an INTP and I care very much about being of significance, not to just people on the forum, but to everyone I meet, I don't think it's really a matter of you being an INTP or not, I do think perhaps you and I may have a highly developed sense of Fe, which is atypical, and which would make us 'care more' about what people think. But I also think, in terms of the enneagram, why we care so much; I'm an sx/so, so I have this need to sort of make an impact and develop deep connectsins and when that doesn't' happen, I feel rather horrible, like i didn't do anything meaningful or that i'm not 'good enough' somehow for people. But I believe that need to feel of significance, is due to the social variant, I notice it among my so/sx INFP girlfriend and my other so/sx INFP best friend, there is this so- drive (though they are both 4w3's) to charm and use that as a tool to not feel rejected, and I, a 5w4, sort of just hope I'm not too off putting or detached enough, it's a really horrible feeling, but I completely relate. But no, I don't think it negates your status as an INTP at all. I say embrace it, and use it as an advantage, I'm surrounded by INFPs (which I've really come to love btw, <INFPs reading this, congratulation yourselves, you're awesome!>) So I think that may awaken the Fe along with being a strong 5w4 with an so variant, it makes you care more and want to engage in the world, and for me, when interacting with people, I can appear as an INFJ on a superficial level but any probing deeper, I'm SUCH an INTP, it isn't funny!. So don't worry :)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I thought you were more Fe... Perhaps switching the Tertiary with your Quartenary. Or perhaps you might be more of a 9 enneagram which would suggest a higher Fe score. It's not terribly common, but it's reasons why you might still be an INTP. I do see INFJ... I can't give you any clear reasoning behind that just sense it, hahaha.

Sunny Ghost

I've just come to the conclusion earlier today, that I simply don't know enough on INTP's... I'm not properly equipped to vote.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't really get INTP vibes from you, whether in posting or in the vids you posted in the typing thread...my guess would be ISxJ, just based on the similar vibes of friends and people I know IRL. I don't get much of a P read from you.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5

I didn't vote, since I don't know you well enough to judge, nor am I am MBTI guru. I would say though, that there is nothing unusual about wanting to be/feel significant. INTP's are well...just different. We want to be respected for out knowledge, talent, insight, expertise or whatever it is we are good at or value in ourselves. We just don't want to shout from the rooftops and tell everyone how great we are! It's an internet forum. We are an avatar and some text and maybe some photos for the more daring. By all means in real life or whatever, an INTP would want to feel significant/valued or else why bother investing the energy at all in the first place? We are probably just more likely to say fuck it and stop altogether if our voices are never heard and just lurk. We do usually cherish fewer deeper relationships than having a zillion friends that are mere superficial aquaintances.

If we take time to make a well thought out (and thoroughly re-read post) and no one takes notice or aknowledges it in any way, well who wouldn't feel insignificant?
We might just deal with it in a different way than others might. We do not either want to be shoved into the spotlight against our will and subject ourselves to polarizing people and criticism. We would rather have a logical discussion or reason than a heated debate. Check the emotions at the door please!

Praise and support are welcome too.

I have no doubts about being an INTP myself and I have felt insignificant or unheard here and other places. But hey, I've been here a month maybe, and have connected with some cool people, just in a more private way, which is more my preference in real life. I'm more into one on one interactions than group outings in life anyway.

As far as MBTI...it really just means your preference for interacting with the world. It doesn't mean you are all the time a N or T and never exhibit traits of other types. Part of the reason people explore MBTI is not just to recognize your strengths but to build on your weaknesses. INTPs can be social at times and exhibit extraversion in the social sense, but it is ultimately draining.

Oh yeah and someone mentioned something about wanting to belong to a group. We all do. I am not of the herd mentality with most things, but I have a hard time finding a niche to belong to sometimes. I don't fit into any one set of personality type (jock, burnout, artsy fartsy, hippie, nerd etc). I usually identify with different things in each subcategory, but not everything across the board.. I get along with most people, but I don't have a posse so to speak. I miss that. It's just harder for us to belong to something. That was probably part of my motivation to come online and seek out other INTPs.

Disclaimer: Excuse the term "we" as I don't mean to say I speak for all INTPs, it just makes for easier writing.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interestingly, my main reason for thinking you're not an INTP... isn't your display of concern for not feeling significant, but rather your usernames. I mean, come on... Paradigm Shift and Such Irony? :rofl1: You're clearly an INJ! Those do not sound like INTP usernames. INTPs can be sarcastic and apathetic, but they don't seem to be that into paradigm shifts or irony. Every INJ I've met usually is, though.

You're right in that the usernames sound more Ni. Yet I've always seen myself as more of an Ne than an Ni user. I know on function tests, I score as excellent use of Ne and just average on Ni. Maybe someone needs to rewrite those Ni descriptions. They make them sound like they are all psychic and mysterious and symbolic and totally removed from reality. I feel more down to earth than that.

I'm an INTP and I care very much about being of significance, not to just people on the forum, but to everyone I meet, I don't think it's really a matter of you being an INTP or not, I do think perhaps you and I may have a highly developed sense of Fe, which is atypical, and which would make us 'care more' about what people think. But I also think, in terms of the enneagram, why we care so much; I'm an sx/so, so I have this need to sort of make an impact and develop deep connectsins and when that doesn't' happen, I feel rather horrible, like i didn't do anything meaningful or that i'm not 'good enough' somehow for people. But I believe that need to feel of significance, is due to the social variant, I notice it among my so/sx INFP girlfriend and my other so/sx INFP best friend, there is this so- drive (though they are both 4w3's) to charm and use that as a tool to not feel rejected, and I, a 5w4, sort of just hope I'm not too off putting or detached enough, it's a really horrible feeling, but I completely relate. But no, I don't think it negates your status as an INTP at all. I say embrace it, and use it as an advantage, I'm surrounded by INFPs (which I've really come to love btw, <INFPs reading this, congratulation yourselves, you're awesome!>) So I think that may awaken the Fe along with being a strong 5w4 with an so variant, it makes you care more and want to engage in the world, and for me, when interacting with people, I can appear as an INFJ on a superficial level but any probing deeper, I'm SUCH an INTP, it isn't funny!. So don't worry :)

I'm not worried, I'm just curious.

I'm not totally sure of enneagram stacking but I'm leaning towards social- it would certainly explain my obsession with significance in the group! I identify equally with both wings. I used to think 5w6 but now I've seen alot more 4 in myself.

I thought you were more Fe... Perhaps switching the Tertiary with your Quartenary. Or perhaps you might be more of a 9 enneagram which would suggest a higher Fe score. It's not terribly common, but it's reasons why you might still be an INTP. I do see INFJ... I can't give you any clear reasoning behind that just sense it, hahaha.

I have a strong 9 enneagram component. And come on- I want the clear reasoning. Don't just tell me you sense it. :) (I think that statement suggests more INTP than INFJ)

I don't really get INTP vibes from you, whether in posting or in the vids you posted in the typing thread...my guess would be ISxJ, just based on the similar vibes of friends and people I know IRL. I don't get much of a P read from you.

Interesting. I haven't had anyone guess ISxJ yet. On the average I score around 80% N on tests but I know that tests are only so reliable. I'm finding that I fit alot of the SJ stuff and the NT stuff, which is making things complicated. I think ISFJ is more likely for myself than ISTJ since I think I'm a Ti/Fe user. The problem with ISFJ is I don't see myself as having strong enough Fe auxilary and having too strong Ne which is ISFJs inferior function. I do have strong Si though per function tests.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I kinda see what Tallulah is saying.

This is nothing concrete (which if you are an ISTJ you'll hate) but I get a similar vibe from all the bonafide ISTJs on the forum, and you match it. It's just a specific straight forward matter-of-fact way of posting.

I especially saw ISTJ in your Not Feeling Significant on This Forum thread. I also wouldn't get too caught up on Si/Ti loops or whatever when trying to find ur type, start at ur simple preferences. E/I, S/N, etc... then get into functions if you want, but I've seen function theory really mess up people's typing game.

And hey, if someone finds the traits of Ns admirable, but they might not necessarily have them, you can be pretty sure a good number will "test" N.

There is/was another ISTJ on this forum, Mathew Z or something, who kinda idealized INTPs I think, while overlooking ISTJ strengths, but I think in the end self-typed correctly, after claiming INTP for a while.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You're right in that the usernames sound more Ni. Yet I've always seen myself as more of an Ne than an Ni user. I know on function tests, I score as excellent use of Ne and just average on Ni. Maybe someone needs to rewrite those Ni descriptions. They make them sound like they are all psychic and mysterious and symbolic and totally removed from reality. I feel more down to earth than that.

Yeah, the way it is on function tests, I usually end up scoring ISFJ or INTP depending on my mood, at least on pure function tests. I believe that the tests are heavily biased towards Ti and Ne.

But I see Ni in a completely different way. To me, it's like developing an abstract representation of a situation in your mind. Trying to use information from the present to try and guess what will happen in the future. It looks mystical to people who don't use it, but it's really not. No more than weathermen predicting the weather is mystical. It's just "seeing" an abstraction that represents a situation, and figuring out what will happen in the future. Ni is responsible for things like:

1. "What if" scenarios, imagining what might happen, given certain assumptions.
2. Recognizing the assumptions inherent in any interpretation of reality.
3. Looking at a situation from more than one perspective.
4. Attempting to use available data and instincts to predict what may happen in the future.
5. Planning out ways of striving to shape and manipulate events to ensure that the future turns out the way you've planned it to turn out (Contingency planning).

Those are examples of what I consider Ni... I know more INJs who identify with these than the "mystical" descriptions.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I kinda see what Tallulah is saying.

This is nothing concrete (which if you are an ISTJ you'll hate) but I get a similar vibe from all the bonafide ISTJs on the forum, and you match it. It's just a specific straight forward matter-of-fact way of posting.

Thanks for your feedback. I still think ISFJ is more likely than ISTJ as I think I'm more of a Ti/Fe user than Fi/Te but I could be wrong here. I do see myself pretty straightfoward in my posting style. I like to say what I mean and mean what I say. It just makes communication a whole lot simpler and reduces misunderstandings. Its one of the 'S' traits I have- I tend to be overly literal sometimes. I sometimes have a harder time digest posts from people who post in a more convoluted style. *cough*Victor*cough* He is amusing to read when I understand him.

I especially saw ISTJ in your Not Feeling Significant on This Forum thread. I also wouldn't get too caught up on Si/Ti loops or whatever when trying to find ur type, start at ur simple preferences. E/I, S/N, etc... then get into functions if you want, but I've seen function theory really mess up people's typing game.

I'm curious what stood out for you in that thread as ISTJ? I would have thought it would have been more F like.

I know I tend to score different if I'm going letter by letter vs. if I'm going by functions. I think I've found that to be the case with many members here. Letter by letter, I'll often come out as INTJ but I fit INTP better function wise.

And hey, if someone finds the traits of Ns admirable, but they might not necessarily have them, you can be pretty sure a good number will "test" N.

That's true. There's alot of people mistyping as N.

Ni is responsible for things like:

1. "What if" scenarios, imagining what might happen, given certain assumptions.
2. Recognizing the assumptions inherent in any interpretation of reality.
3. Looking at a situation from more than one perspective.
4. Attempting to use available data and instincts to predict what may happen in the future.
5. Planning out ways of striving to shape and manipulate events to ensure that the future turns out the way you've planned it to turn out (Contingency planning).

Those are examples of what I consider Ni... I know more INJs who identify with these than the "mystical" descriptions.

I relate alot to this Ni description.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks for your feedback. I still think ISFJ is more likely than ISTJ as I think I'm more of a Ti/Fe user than Fi/Te but I could be wrong here. I do see myself pretty straightfoward in my posting style. I like to say what I mean and mean what I say. It just makes communication a whole lot simpler and reduces misunderstandings. Its one of the 'S' traits I have- I tend to be overly literal sometimes. I sometimes have a harder time digest posts from people who post in a more convoluted style. *cough*Victor*cough* He is amusing to read when I understand him.

If you can completely forget about function theory for a minute... can't you see how this paragraph describes you as an ISTJ to a tee? And Ss have a much harder time digesting Vic than Ns, and more abstract posters like owl. It's a good N/S litmus test.

I think function ordering/stacking is bunk, with no logical basis. But you can choose to go by it.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you should take care of other aspects of your life before trying to type yourself, you're propably too depressed atm.
I respect your openness, good luck to you! :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
All right, who gave a one star rating to this thread? According to the rating system, one star means terrible. Is this thread really this terrible? Its fine, if you don't like this thread, you're entitled to your opinion but I'd really like to know *why* you think you this thread is not up to standard so that it can be made better. Is it because you're tired of my ranting about my type? Is it the quality of feedback that others are giving regarding my type? Is it something else?

On a side note, I'm against thread ratings. Someone could have a beef against someone for whatever reason and therefore give a thread a low rating. I suppose the opposite could happen too- giving high ratings to threads from people you like. I think posting on this forum is a learning experience- you'll have some hits and you'll have some misses. Rating a thread as terrible can cause someone to lose the motivation to post threads. It's like getting unsolicited negative feedback. It's fine if you ask for someone's honest opinion of a thread and they give it to you but sometimes people would rather not risk that hurt. I asked for feedback regarding my *type*, not the quality of the thread.

Okay, I am a sensitive person. I'm not the most thick skinned. I'll be honest and say that I'm hurt by the low rating of this thread. Take that information as additional data to use in my typing. I think this points more towards F although wanting to know *why* the thread was rated that way could be T.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5

I admit I have quite similar issues(just not about the forum, but the people I live with), and really nobody would doubt that I'm an NTP. So I don't think it's THAT atypical. Though that doesn't mean you're surely an INTP, either.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I used to think FiSi INFP for you, but what AJ says about ISTJ makes some sense. But you seem overly sensitive for one of them too. Regardless, I don't think you're an INTP.