• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What does an INFP 7w8 look like?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm now fairly certain that I am a 7w8, but I don't feel like I'm nearly as extroverted as your archtypical ENFP 7w8. even if ENFPs tend to be rather balanced, 7 is the most extraverted of all the enneagram types which causes me some confusion.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lets see...

-They would be EXTREMELY assertive if their inner values(Fi) were stepped on or violated in any way.
-If they were animals they would be lovable puppies who fiercly guard those close to them and bark at shady characters.
-Being both introverted and energetic/dominant(7w8) they would appear extroverted around their closest friends, but somewhat mild and calm around other people.
-Would actively enjoy and explore a personal activity of thier own solitude: like having an obsession with reading a really good book, or something.
-Combining the natural goodness of an INFP with the fun lovingness of a 7 would result in someone who could bring a smile to anyones face.
-Possible carrers best suited for them would be: artist, writer, teacher, movie directer, or actor.
-Kind, polite, nice, but knows how to take charge when they need to.

I'll add more later if I can think of anything. :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lets see...

-They would be EXTREMELY assertive if their inner values(Fi) were stepped on or violated in any way.
-If they were animals they would be lovable puppies who fiercly guard those close to them and bark at shady characters.
-Being both introverted and energetic/dominant(7w8) they would appear extroverted around their closest friends, but somewhat mild and calm around other people.
-Would actively enjoy and explore a personal activity of thier own solitude: like having an obsession with reading a really good book, or something.
-Combining the natural goodness of an INFP with the fun lovingness of a 7 would result in someone who could bring a smile to anyones face.
-Possible carrers best suited for them would be: artist, writer, teacher, movie directer, or actor.
-Kind, polite, nice, but knows how to take charge when they need to.

I'll add more later if I can think of anything. :)

this sounds a lot like me. for instance, I am very hedonistic and pleasure seeking like most 7s, but my indulgences tend to be more introverted in nature. for instance, having an obsession with various kinds of expensive teas

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^:laugh: hilarious

Originally posted by Elfboy
this sounds a lot like me. for instance, I am very hedonistic and pleasure seeking like most 7s, but my indulgences tend to be more introverted in nature. for instance, having an obsession with various kinds of expensive teas

In that regard you may be an INFP 7w8 which is quite rare I think. Then again, I'm no expert on enneagram myself.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Imagine this with an adventurous streak:
7w8i.jpg

...the emo nerd.

umm.. NOO lol
7s are highly stylized and have a well developed sense of beauty and tastes. introverted feeling places high priority on sensuality and grace.

A

A window to the soul

Here ya go:

http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-7.html said:
When healthy, Sevens with an 8 wing are often generous, gregarious and expansive. Tend to be exceptionally loyal to their friends, especially when social subtype. Leap aggressively to the defense of those they care for. Might seem loud or boisterous although some are urbane and witty. Enjoy social celebrations, storytelling, jokes, food and travel. Generally have a strong self-confidence for worldly matters and getting what they want. Talent for making something out of nothing - entrepreneurial. Usually share what they have when healthy, want everyone to enjoy their sense of bounty and wide range of interests. When more entranced, they may be demanding, displaying a selfish impatience and a self-justifying narcissism. May want what they want right now. Aggressive, hasty drive to acquire money and material options and recognition. Can demand that the people in their lives say only what the Seven wants to hear - sugarcoated truth. Lash out angrily if reality doesn't meet their expectations; sometimes vengeful. Often perfectionistic as parents (low side of 1). Moralize to others and then are themselves irresponsible. Amnesia for promises made in an expansive moment. Particular difficulty with sexual fidelity.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As a unsocial 7w8 I simply ignore Enneagram descriptions that tell me I'm supposed to be socially extroverted.

Are you by chance a self preservation type? As far as 7s go they are the least "out there" socially.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a unsocial 7w8 I simply ignore Enneagram descriptions that tell me I'm supposed to be socially extroverted.

Are you by chance a self preservation type? As far as 7s go they are the least "out there" socially.

I am :yes: Sp/Sx I like WTF in social settings. Until I read the description of Self Preservation 7s, I thought I was a 4. Sp 7s are drastically different from other 7s
1) we frequently like to stay home (this is SOO atypical of 7s)
2) we're not as reckless with money. it's not that we're stingy like some 1s and 6s, but we like to get the most value for what we spend and we're better at saving money when needed. personally I find myself saving money for a few months and then buying one or two things that are REALLY expensive but well worth the money
3) we're easily addicted like other 7s, but less likely to indulge in self distructive addictions like drugs or heavy drinking. if you've ever heard anyone say "if I'm going to get addicted to something, it might as well be something good for me" that person was probably a self preservation 7.
4) we take risks, but only risks that don't have dire consequences (self prez types in general don't like to partake in dangerous activities, but a harmless gamble with cash one can afford to loose is a different story)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've had the same confusion because i don't feel very extraverted at all...but i'm pretty sure i'm dom ne and pretty sure that i'm 7w6 but you'd think i would have robin williams' bouncy energy but i totally don't...i'm like super mellow most of the time.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am :yes: Sp/Sx I like WTF in social settings. Until I read the description of Self Preservation 7s, I thought I was a 4. Sp 7s are drastically different from other 7s
1) we frequently like to stay home (this is SOO atypical of 7s)
2) we're not as reckless with money. it's not that we're stingy like some 1s and 6s, but we like to get the most value for what we spend and we're better at saving money when needed. personally I find myself saving money for a few months and then buying one or two things that are REALLY expensive but well worth the money
3) we're easily addicted like other 7s, but less likely to indulge in self distructive addictions like drugs or heavy drinking. if you've ever heard anyone say "if I'm going to get addicted to something, it might as well be something good for me" that person was probably a self preservation 7.
4) we take risks, but only risks that don't have dire consequences (self prez types in general don't like to partake in dangerous activities, but a harmless gamble with cash one can afford to loose is a different story)

Well I'm entirely reckless with money but the rest works for me. You do display a lot of 4 attributes in your posts but they could be related to your sp-ness.

Each type has it's oxymoron so to speak, just as sx/so seems at odds with E5, sp/sx is at odds with E7, it works of course, it just doesn't create the stereotypical image.

Welcome to the 7s party!

Chloe

you are probabla 8, INFP and 8. (wasnt you that opened a thread a while ago considering 8 instead of 4? )

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you are probabla 8, INFP and 8. (wasnt you that opened a thread a while ago considering 8 instead of 4? )

interesting, but I don't think I'm a pure 8
1) my friend is an INTJ 8w7 sp/sx and we're both entrepreneurs, but there is a clear difference in our modivations. we both care about freedom and autonomy and both want to have lots of fun, but there are some very key differences in our priorities
my main reasons are
- be able to work at my convenience
- being able to travel the world and going on adventures
- being able to afford nice clothes, and having everything I buy be premium quality (but not quantity)
his main reasons are
- building a business empire
- making a lasting change in the world somehow
- doing something he's being interested in and being the best at it
the main difference is that my philosophy is "I'm gonna get what I want at all costs" and his is "I'm going to win at all costs". he thrives on intensity and growing stronger. I thrive on adventures and relaxation (we both share each other's desires, our priorities are just way different). we both share the 8/7 trait of contempt for authority and rules and need to be free from any sort of authority or social obligation.

2) 8s tend to be aggressive as children and naturally dominant, this didn't come for me until 8th grade (and rather suddenly I might add. it was like an inner spring of passion and power being tapped inside me)
3) I'm pretty sure my growth is 5 and my stress is 1
4) 8s are more "I can do it myself!" and tend to dislike when others try to help them because they don't want to appear vulnerable. 7s have no problem with others doing work for them hahaha

on a side note, I'm still leaning toward ENFP as opposed to INFP because I think I'm an Ne dom, although ENFP 7w8 sounds pretty extraverted and I'm more of an introvert, even if I do cognitively fit ENFP better (my thinking is pretty good, my sensing SUCKS and my intuition is just about limitless)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also, I don't have a problem with being controlling, bossy or overly domineering. I've very live and let live (so is my 8 friend, but he sure as hell wasn't when he was younger. being INTJ, he adopted that philosophy later because it made more rational sense)

KDude

Any INFP that resembles 8 might really just be a 1. Forget 8 though, 7 is a stretch itself. At that point, that person would just be an extroverted MBTI type of some kind. 7w8 is too much energy and investment into things that are outside of an introvert caring about. I could see an ISTJ or ISTP getting outside their box a bit and acting 8, but not even them really.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any INFP that resembles 8 might really just be a 1. Forget 8 though, 7 is a stretch itself. At that point, that person would just be an extroverted MBTI type of some kind. 7w8 is too much energy and investment into things that are outside of an introvert caring about. I could see an ISTJ or ISTP getting outside their box a bit and acting 8, but not even them really.

on the contrary, I know several introverted 8s personally and have heard of a number of introverted 7s (although it manifests itself differently in introverted 7s. take cate blanchette for example)

KDude

on the contrary, I know several introverted 8s personally and have heard of a number of introverted 7s (although it manifests itself differently in introverted 7s. take cate blanchette for example)

I really don't know a lot about Cate Blanchette outside her movies, but the idea of a 7 goes against INFP, I think. It's not that introverts can't be outgoing and enthusiastic, but saying one is a 7 is really making too much of whatever enthusiasm they possess. There's a whole other level of enthusiasm that's... for lack of a better word, pretty much flighty in a 7. They are the most externally stimulated of extroverts to boot. To use a (quick and poor) example, they are kind of like the person you're speaking to one minute at a party, and the next minute, turn their attention to the next new happening and just up and leave.. and so on and so forth to the point they are touching base with just about all 30 people in the house, but not really bunkering down or in their element in one-to-one ways for long. Also, everywhere I've read, the 7 does not like to introspect when it comes to things with negative connotations nor do they hold as much wonder with the positive. It's the other thing that goes against the idea of an INFP. Lastly, the other thing about the Enneagram is that each type has something that they should aspire more to. 1's could ease up and not be as strict, 2's could use a little more "selfishness", 5's could learn to cultivate their relationships more, and 7's could figure out more what's worth their time. When we're healthy (apparently), we're closer to balance, but to be naturally two at things at once.. and also an 8.. is like being Wonder Woman or Superman (ahem.. and if you know Wonder Woman, give me her number :glasses:).

The root of their problem is common to all of the types of the Thinking Center: they are out of touch with the inner guidance and support of their Essential nature. As with Fives and Sixes, this creates a deep anxiety in Sevens. They do not feel that they know what to do or how to make choices that will be beneficial to themselves and others. Sevens cope with this anxiety in two ways. First, they try to keep their minds busy all of the time. As long as Sevens can keep their minds occupied, especially with projects and positive ideas for the future, they can, to some extent, keep anxiety and negative feelings out of conscious awareness. Likewise, since their thinking is stimulated by activity, Sevens are compelled to stay on the go, moving from one experience to the next, searching for more stimulation. This is not to say that Sevens are "spinning their wheels." They generally enjoy being practical and getting things done.

I should have just quoted that.. Sorry for being longwinded :cool:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really don't know a lot about Cate Blanchette outside her movies, but the idea of a 7 goes against INFP, I think. It's not that introverts can't be outgoing and enthusiastic, but saying one is a 7 is really making too much of whatever enthusiasm they possess. There's a whole other level of enthusiasm that's... for lack of a better word, pretty much flighty in a 7. They are the most externally stimulated of extroverts to boot. To use a (quick and poor) example, they are kind of like the person you're speaking to one minute at a party, and the next minute, turn their attention to the next new happening and just up and leave.. and so on and so forth to the point they are touching base with just about all 30 people in the house, but not really bunkering down or in their element in one-to-one ways for long. Also, everywhere I've read, the 7 does not like to introspect when it comes to things with negative connotations nor do they hold as much wonder with the positive. It's the other thing that goes against the idea of an INFP. Lastly, the other thing about the Enneagram is that each type has something that they should aspire more to. 1's could ease up and not be as strict, 2's could use a little more "selfishness", 5's could learn to cultivate their relationships more, and 7's could figure out more what's worth their time. When we're healthy (apparently), we're closer to balance, but to be naturally two at things at once.. and also an 8.. is like being Wonder Woman or Superman (ahem.. and if you know Wonder Woman, give me her number :glasses:).

The root of their problem is common to all of the types of the Thinking Center: they are out of touch with the inner guidance and support of their Essential nature. As with Fives and Sixes, this creates a deep anxiety in Sevens. They do not feel that they know what to do or how to make choices that will be beneficial to themselves and others. Sevens cope with this anxiety in two ways. First, they try to keep their minds busy all of the time. As long as Sevens can keep their minds occupied, especially with projects and positive ideas for the future, they can, to some extent, keep anxiety and negative feelings out of conscious awareness. Likewise, since their thinking is stimulated by activity, Sevens are compelled to stay on the go, moving from one experience to the next, searching for more stimulation. This is not to say that Sevens are "spinning their wheels." They generally enjoy being practical and getting things done.

I should have just quoted that.. Sorry for being longwinded :cool:

on the contrary, INFPs have several traits that are very 7
1) optimistically looking toward the future
2) seeing the world through rose colored glasses
3) appreciation of things with real beauty and quality
4) daydreaming about endless fun and adventurous ideas
5) having a tendency to see an idealized (and often much cooler) version of what something is rather than the true nature of how it really is (it's not an ignorance thing. 7s just take a little longer to get the negative side of things)
6) easily bored with details and correlated with ADD (actually, INFP is the most likely type to be diagnosed with it according to one sight I looked at and 7s seem by far to be the most likely enneagram type to be diagnosed with it)

your reference refers primarily to ESXP 7w6 SO types, not all 7s are quite so extraverted. it manifests itself drastically differently in different cognitive functions.

PS: an obvious example of an INFP 7 is Doug Funnie from the show Doug. I would also guess JRR Tolkien (the author of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy) and Christopher Robin, Lisa Kudrow (friends), and Calvin from Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes are all INFP 7s as well as The Little Prince, Bastian from The Neverending Story and several INFP anime characters such as Fai from Tsubasa

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
7 is a desire to experience fun and adventure and be stimulated by things that are new and exciting. frequently these things deal with entertaining physical activities, but they also are can be more fantasy oriented and intuitive like INFPs and ENFPs tend to be. hence, NFP 7s will often experience a variety of activities from play dodge ball, to traveling around the world, to experiencing the tastes of fine wine. frequently, these activities are much more solitary such as writing down a crazy story that popped into their head that they needed to put on paper, watching an interesting documentary on youtube or having a deep 1 on 1 conversation with someone

KDude

You seem to want to assert every common event of "enthusiasm" and saying that it's E7. It's not necessary. If an INFP enjoys life it doesn't mean they're a 7. It means they're INFP. If that's your way of protesting that INFPs aren't shy or emo, then cool. That's not how Jung or Myers or anyone who can claim some authority on the subject ever described Fi anyways. That they're enthusiastic from writing a book or having a conversation is not how 7 is defined though. INFPs aren't forbidden from being enthusiastic just like they're not forbidden from being "challengers" or "helpers" or how an ESTP can't be a "romantic" or "peacemaker". Try not to run too far with the labels themselves and check out a book. It's almost intrinsically extroverted (in the EP sense).

And no, I did not describe just an ESFP. I described a 7. Actually, I didn't even really describe much. I took a quote instead.