• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensing and Intuition Questions??

liYA

Would you please ask me some Sensing and Intuition questions

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you see made-up symbolic meanings of objects easily, in books/poetry/etc?

Jaguar

From myersbriggs.org:

Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning?
This is called Sensing (S) or Intuition (N).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
From myersbriggs.org:

Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning?

It still makes Sensors sould like losers with no depth. LOL

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
From myersbriggs.org:

the problem with these kind of questions is that people who dont already know how S and N works cant really answer that since they dont have anything to compare themselves to. if you ask that question from N he might say yes i focus on the basic information without seeing that he is actually adding meaning to it since it comes so naturally to him. also this kind of questions are made to divide the two types by showing difference on two totally different ends of the pole. if someone is ENTJ with well developed Se, he might be more on the S side on this question because of the factual nature of Te and since Ni is unconscious function he might be totally unaware that he is adding meaning to it and might feel like he is 100% S

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the problem with these kind of questions is that people who dont already know how S and N works cant really answer that since they dont have anything to compare themselves to. if you ask that question from N he might say yes i focus on the basic information without seeing that he is actually adding meaning to it since it comes so naturally to him. also this kind of questions are made to divide the two types by showing difference on two totally different ends of the pole. if someone is ENTJ with well developed Se, he might be more on the S side on this question because of the factual nature of Te and since Ni is unconscious function he might be totally unaware that he is adding meaning to it and might feel like he is 100% S

The Dom Ne's I know focus heavily on what they take in. They believe what they want to, but they still focus heavily on what they take in. Believe what they want can be "interpreting", but they still "focus" on what they take in.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Dom Ne's I know focus heavily on what they take in. They believe what they want to, but they still focus heavily on what they take in. Believe what they want can be "interpreting", but they still "focus" on what they take in.

:huh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Its a Dom Ne thing you wouldnt understand ;) Deal with Dom Se and you could probably reach a similiar scenario, but would deny it based on the differences of N vs S instead of seeing the similarities of E vs I....psshhhhh...nitpicky INTPs believing what they want.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its a Dom Ne thing you wouldnt understand ;) Deal with Dom Se and you could probably reach a similiar scenario, but would deny it based on the differences of N vs S instead of seeing the similarities of E vs I....psshhhhh...nitpicky INTPs believing what they want.

i got no idea what you are talking about

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
i got no idea what you are talking about

Hey guess what INTP. You put poki's comment through your INTP brain and it didn't make sense. I put it through my ENFJ brain and it didn't make sense. So that means fail poki :p We've covered the extremes of interpretive resources here. Could you clarify what you're talking about poki. Or should I say _Poki_

One thing that I think is interesting is we talking about N's attaching meaning to what they see around them. Attaching meaning, in my mind, is a form of interpretation. I thought interpretation was relegated to the judging cognitive functions. If both T/F and N can interpret the world around them, what distinguishes N's way of interpreting from T/F?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
One thing that I think is interesting is we talking about N's attaching meaning to what they see around them. Attaching meaning, in my mind, is a form of interpretation. I thought interpretation was relegated to the judging cognitive functions. If both T/F and N can interpret the world around them, what distinguishes N's way of interpreting from T/F?

I'd like to know this too. I think everyone does fairly large amounts of interpretation, meaning that we are probably using our judging functions for it, at least SOME of it, so this does require clarification. Also, EVERYONE has to take raw information in unless they are dead, comatose, deeply delusional, etc.

I am an SP, but whe I observe the world, the underlying trends are just as obvious if not more obvious than the physical reality; reality itself often goes unnoticed because it's the trends that are necessary for action. Being an SP I am interested in taking action--I believe this is par for the SP course. I need to extrapolate present trends into the future to do that, essentially I must predict what reality will be or could e. This has to be interpretation of reality, not pure observation.

Edit 2: I just wanted to clarify what I meant by action...obviously I'm not talking about immediate action, in the moment, because that would not require extrapolation. I'm talking about long term thinking or future actions that might be.

Hm...The more I think about it though it doesn't seem that I use my judging functions for this, it's rather instinctive. But I am definitely focused on implications of the present rather than the present itself.

Last edited:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
chris1207 said:

good point. i think it has a lot to do with how we take in the information - i've heard the S/N split once described as "do you pay attention to what things are, or what things could be?". i thought that was great - because it's not about what you think of the information, but which information we choose to take in. and there are ample pitfalls on either end of that question. our brains filter through a lot of info at first glance, and my suspicion is that Se/Si/Ne/Ni all tend to prioritize different information - but that's all in the information gathering stage, before any other processing, which would be the T/F domain.

_Poki_ said:

i think i understand... in other words, we focus on collecting and interrelating information more than on how to use it? Perceiving is seeing possibilities, but Judging is deciding which possibilities one ought to take advantage of. it's not uncommon for Ne doms to hold seemingly-conflicting opinions on many topics, for example. because we focus more on the many different ways in which the topic could be seen, instead of focusing on how it should be seen.

--

anyway - liYA - do you tend to:

(1) assess how things are different from how they were in the past, and be attentive to detail?
(2) attend to present physical realities and action, responding moment-to-moment?
(3) envision future scenarios and how things are likely to turn out, predicting and forseeing?
(4) see connections and relations, think in terms of impressions and patterns?

highlight once you've decided:
1, introverted Sensing
2, extraverted Sensing
3, introverted iNtuition
4, extraverted iNtuition