• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTJ vs INTJ

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
How can you tell whether someone is the ISTJ type or the INTJ type? I know enough about MBTI theory to know that ISTJs have domSi and INTJs have domNi... the trouble is that behaviourally, I find it hard to tell them apart. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to tell the difference?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
The one that is smiling and nodding while completely ignoring everything you say is the ISTJ, whereas the one who is arguing with you relentlessly is the INTJ. :D

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you read the descriptions, the differences should be as apparent as a slap in the face. Firstly, and most evidently, is the different in temperament. The ISTJ is a representative of the SJ temperament, and the INTJ is a rep of the NT one. I won't throw a load of NT/SJ buzzwords at you, because that doesn't help me, and I doubt it really helps anyone. Essentially, get to the core of each type. Notice how the ISTJ is far more tied down to convention and preserving said convention than the independent and free-thinking INTJ is. The ISTJ cares far more for authority and is proud to be loyal to it; an INTJ would ruthlessly challenge it before entering into any kind of contract with authority.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
If you read the descriptions, the differences should be as apparent as a slap in the face. Firstly, and most evidently, is the different in temperament. The ISTJ is a representative of the SJ temperament, and the INTJ is a rep of the NT one. I won't throw a load of NT/SJ buzzwords at you, because that doesn't help me, and I doubt it really helps anyone. Essentially, get to the core of each type. Notice how the ISTJ is far more tied down to convention and preserving said convention than the independent and free-thinking INTJ is. The ISTJ cares far more for authority and is proud to be loyal to it; an INTJ would ruthlessly challenge it before entering into any kind of contract with authority.

Well said. Here's an example that illustrates the difference between the two types.

The INTJ would be create the policy. Whereas the ISTJ would ensure that it was enforced.

Concerning the OP, most people will agree that ISTJs due to their preference for Si are far more pedantic than the intuitive INTJ.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Thank you so far. I agree that the differences between Ni and Si should be rather obvious - yet it's hard to examine when IxTJs are so reserved and unforthcoming about their private lives.

I think my opinion has been skewed because a friend of mine originally typed as INTJ (when it's become quite apparent that he is ISTJ), so now I measure INTJs using ISTJ characteristics.

I think what happened is that he somehow typed as INTJ and is now conforming to the description of INTJ as found on the website! He disliked the description when he first read it.

Any further clarifications would still be helpful!

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Actually there would be no obviousness in the usage since both types can use it fairly well, neither function focuses on the present and both ITJs show the world only their extraverted function (Te). I am not sure why how one would know whether they're observing any introverted function since it is just that introverted.

On the other hand you may be able to make a distinction through their core temperament needs. I would say that ISTJs like all SJs, will be civic minded. I think that ISTJs are probably more prone to being mistyped as extraverts because they can be community and group active.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
In my experience, if you are trying to tell ISTJ/INTJ...you look at how they look at you. ISTJs seem to have more of an openness about them, whereas an INTJ might look like, "Why is this person talking to me?"

sassafrassquatch

The one that is smiling and nodding while completely ignoring everything you say is the ISTJ, whereas the one who is arguing with you relentlessly is the INTJ. :D

I argue relentlessly. :D

Not because I enjoy it, it's like, "You're wrong. Your thoughts are like a picture frame hanging crookedly on the wall which I am compelled to straighten."

Introverted Sensation

That description of Si is what nailed it for me.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
My experience thus far with both groups: ISTJs tend to be inflexible on plans while INTJs tend to be open to a change of plans and more accomodating to shifting interests.

Vivid

MBTI Type
ISTJ
It will be hard to type someone based on how argumentative they are because many people will avoid arguments in certain situations, regardless of type.

But I agree that looking at the SJ and NT temperaments would be good!

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
From this page about temperaments (Temperament Theory Theory), NTs are classed as "Theorists":

The core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. People of this temperament want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts, and ideas and seek progress. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a technology focus. They trust logic above all else. They tend to be skeptical and highly value precision in language. Their learning style is conceptual, and they want to know the underlying principles that generate the details and facts rather than the details alone.

Whereas SJs are classed as "Stabilisers":

The core needs are for group membership and responsibility. They need to know they are doing the responsible thing. They value stability, security, and a sense of community. They trust hierarchy and authority and may be surprised when others go against these social structures. People of this temperament prefer cooperative actions with a focus on standards and norms. Their orientation is to their past experiences, and they like things sequenced and structured. They tend to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.

Do SJs and NTs find that these descriptions ring true for their type?

Last edited:

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well said. Here's an example that illustrates the difference between the two types.

The INTJ would be create the policy. Whereas the ISTJ would ensure that it was enforced.

Concerning the OP, most people will agree that ISTJs due to their preference for Si are far more pedantic than the intuitive INTJ.

Pedantic is only how intuition types experience thier own sensation (and maybe how inferior thinking is experienced too). People often assume that their hypothetical _NTJ will be in a higher position of authority than thier hypothetical _STJ.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the SJ core need should be described in a more "hip" manner. The way I see it is the SP and SJ temperaments seem to be described in terms of young versus old people, with SP being spontaneous and adventurous and SJ being conservative and cautious.

The image of the SJ one could get is the hard-working and responsible type, so it just sounds like old people. But I think we should reinterpret it as how a need to belong would be for a young person. And so I come to the conclusion that the SJ is the one who follows the trends of the group they identify with. So the catalyst (who may or may not be of the Catalyst temperament) for a high school subculture will grow members who are largely SJ, be it preppies, jocks, or even Goth subcultures.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Pedantic is only how intuition types experience thier own sensation (and maybe how inferior thinking is experienced too). People often assume that their hypothetical _NTJ will be in a higher position of authority than thier hypothetical _STJ.

You lost me on your first point. However, I agree with your second point. In fact, I'd venture a guess that depending on the company an STJ would actually have an easier time obtaining a position of authority.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I think the SJ core need should be described in a more "hip" manner. The way I see it is the SP and SJ temperaments seem to be described in terms of young versus old people, with SP being spontaneous and adventurous and SJ being conservative and cautious.

The image of the SJ one could get is the hard-working and responsible type, so it just sounds like old people. But I think we should reinterpret it as how a need to belong would be for a young person. And so I come to the conclusion that the SJ is the one who follows the trends of the group they identify with. So the catalyst (who may or may not be of the Catalyst temperament) for a high school subculture will grow members who are largely SJ, be it preppies, jocks, or even Goth subcultures.

Good point. I read somewhere that the ESTJ is the quintessential "All-American High School Joke", err I meant Jock.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
So the INTJ would be the one that would've been valedictorian if it weren't for his lack of extracurricular activities then?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So the INTJ would be the one that would've been valedictorian if it weren't for his lack of extracurricular activities then?

I was in special ed classes and I actually did average at best in school (though in my senior year, I did make Honor Roll all four quarters), so I didn't have a chance of being a valedictorian. And I was never athletic.