• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Yet another confused INFx

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
it would help if you took a cognitive function test and posted the results :newwink:

OK... I'm not sure a test is a good way to measure these things, but there you go.

extraverted Sensing (Se) **************** (16.1)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.4)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (36.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.3)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.4)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35.3)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************ (24.3)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************** (34.3)
good use

"By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFP"

I don't really think I'm an INTP, though... my Ti has some development, but it's not exactly my "core", I think.

pastel~petals

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I looked over your recent post summarizing your questions. You sound like a Judger to me. Here are the things I noticed that lead me to think so:

I often find myself dubbed a "stick in the mud" or "rigid", because, though I'm not exactly Mr. Diligent towards schoolwork, I'm fussy and organized towards a lot of things ("plan" which books I'll read next, want to know how we'll spend the day during our vacation in advance, et cetera)

I'm always thinking of the next step and, while I try my best not to interfere with anyone's plans, I desire to have some sort of control over my surroundings; that's part of why I thought I was an INTJ. I don't want to order people around, but I have an urge to draw certain boundaries.

To my experience, INFJs impose structure on themselves rather than on others.

Though I'm somewhat lazy, I sometimes unconsciously anchor my sense of self-worth to external elements (grades, for instance), and I'm quick to put myself down even when others think I'm better than I think I am (though I don't whine or wallow in self-pity, as that kind of annoys people and makes me feel too capricious and overemotional).

While I procrastinate quite a bit when it comes to schoolwork, I try to finish everything before the deadline to avoid humiliation and stern looks from teachers (and, of course, bad grades), and the schoolwork keeps haunting my thoughts, to the point of dampening the enjoyment of other activities (it's gotten to the point where I decided to read "for fun" only during vacations).

Even if you are a Judger, it doesn't necessarily mean you WANT to get schoolwork done in a timely fashion. It sounds to me like Judging is what makes you feel the OBLIGATION to.

...I have a bit of shimmering anxiety about me, not exactly like an Enneatype Six's, but more like a strategic configuration of my personal resources ("What will be asked of me in the future?") or a corcern with my performance ("Am I being too selfish? Too lazy? Too cold? Too high-strung?").

Right now, I'm kind of "going with the plan" even though I'm unsure of whether journalism is a good career for me... I often ignore fleeting emotional states and keep my eyes on the (very blurry) "prize".

I feel a tad uncomfortable if I don't know what time it is, and I insist on using my alarm clock even on weekends.

...I'm a pretty deliberate guy...

All of these sound like Judging traits, so I think you must be an INFJ.

I hope this sheds some light on your MBTI journey! :D

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I looked over your recent post summarizing your questions. You sound like a Judger to me. Here are the things I noticed that lead me to think so:
To my experience, INFJs impose structure on themselves rather than on others.

That's funny - I've read that FJs were the meddlers of the MBTI (hence my previous Mary Worth parallels), even from at least one FJ (the aforementioned Vicky Jo). I may have to revise that concept...

Even if you are a Judger, it doesn't necessarily mean you WANT to get schoolwork done in a timely fashion. It sounds to me like Judging is what makes you feel the OBLIGATION to.

That makes quite a lot of sense... I'm not that involved with my current subjects (Journalism-related stuff, in case you're wondering), but I fell guilty if I don't do my essays and whatnot.

All of these sound like Judging traits, so I think you must be an INFJ.

I thought so... One of the INFPs, as mentioned before on this thread, also does the watch thing, though, so, I'm kinda unsure.

I hope this sheds some light on your MBTI journey! :D

Thank you! Ditto to you. :smile:

Hmmm... so far, 2 people think I'm INFJ, and 3-4 think I'm INFP, so I guess I must be either a pretty J-ish INFP or a pretty P-ish INFJ. Back to the drawing board...

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
based on these results, you seem like an INFP, but your results are shockingly balanced

Quod erad demonstratum. :doh: Well, time will tell, I guess (though I'm open for feedback! :newwink:); even if I stay away from cognitive function-related threads, I believe I'll have a very fun time in this forum.

Thanks, Elfboy! Sorry for pestering you through PM, bud. Nice avatar! :hug:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's funny - I've read that FJs were the meddlers of the MBTI (hence my previous Mary Worth parallels), even from at least one FJ (the aforementioned Vicky Jo). I may have to revise that concept...

That makes quite a lot of sense... I'm not that involved with my current subjects (Journalism-related stuff, in case you're wondering), but I fell guilty if I don't do my essays and whatnot.

I thought so... One of the INFPs, as mentioned before on this thread, also does the watch thing, though, so, I'm kinda unsure.

Thank you! Ditto to you. :smile:

Hmmm... so far, 2 people think I'm INFJ, and 3-4 think I'm INFP, so I guess I must be either a pretty J-ish INFP or a pretty P-ish INFJ. Back to the drawing board...

INFJs are one of the least J types and INFPs one of the least P. an INFJs first function is intuition, which right off the bat is not going to make one very J. an INFP's first function is Fi, which deals with integrity and personal values. take an INFP like Joan of Arc for instance. she seems pretty J-ish to me

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
INFJs are one of the least J types and INFPs one of the least P. an INFJs first function is intuition, which right off the bat is not going to make one very J. an INFP's first function is Fi, which deals with integrity and personal values. take an INFP like Joan of Arc for instance. she seems pretty J-ish to me

Interesting... I'd heard the first tidbit before (probably on this forum), but I've never heard the second one. NFPs are usually characterized as flighty, scatterbrained or unfocused - a mirror of sorts to the SPs' "hedonism".

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting... I'd heard the first tidbit before (probably on this forum), but I've never heard the second one. NFPs are usually characterized as flighty, scatterbrained or unfocused - a mirror of sorts to the SPs' "hedonism".

INFJs can be scatter brained too (and INTJs). INJs tend to have "mad scientist rooms" and usually will have one place that is their "lair" where they work on Ni stuff (at least, all the INFJs and INTJs I know do this, as wells as a few INFPs and INTPs). NJs are frequently as disorganized as Ps, but they do have an easier time organized when they need to be.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
INFJs can be scatter brained too (and INTJs). INJs tend to have "mad scientist rooms" and usually will have one place that is their "lair" where they work on Ni stuff (at least, all the INFJs and INTJs I know do this, as wells as a few INFPs and INTPs). NJs are frequently as disorganized as Ps, but they do have an easier time organized when they need to be.

Maybe I used the wrong word... I meant scatterbrained as in, they're passionate about something until they get bored (i. e. in two minutes). It's most likely a sterotype, though, since I doubt Fi allows that much fickleness. :)

I can really relate to the whole "lair" thing. That's something I kind of worry about when I think about moving out when I finish college - packing and unpacking my entire den. :doh:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
A couple more observations: (Feel free to yell "Shut the %#@£ up already!")

1) I have some pretty bad pride issues. It's not simply about avoiding humiliation, like I described previously; it's like, I take myself pretty seriously, to the point where, if someone pokes fun at my personal demons/neuroses, I become bitter and start wondering - and asking, sometimes - what is wrong with me. My ISFP mother thinks I need to chill a bit... Sometimes I respond to "good-natured ribbing" with a distraught "Is this about [X]?", which can be a buzzkill. I've heard INFPs are more laid-back, so could this be an indication of INFJness?

2) Someone asked me, at the beginning of the thread, if I wasn't an ISFP. Truth is, while I'm theoretical, I'm not sure I'm creative like many INFPs are said to be. I don't draw or paint (my artistic abilities are somewhere between "sub-par" and "hellish"), and, while a good number of people say I write well, I just don't feel the oft-mentioned "itch". My ma says I "absorb" too much and don't "give back", metaphorically speaking. Since INFPs seem to crave self-expression through these outlets, and are usually described as "creative", do you guys suppose that means I'm more likely to be an INFJ?

Thanks again. :blush:

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Your Ne will fetch you but-maybes and could-be-thises all day if you let it.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Your Ne will fetch you but-maybes and could-be-thises all day if you let it.

If you don't mind me asking, to which one of my bajillion inquiries are you answering?

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
If you don't mind me asking, to which one of my bajillion inquiries are you answering?

The last one. Neither of those tidbits invalidates you as an INFP. Of course you get upset when people poke fun at you. Of course you're not as creative as other, more creative people. But look what you're doing here. You're using Ne to make these connections and Fi to, well, worry about them. Stop that.

No, you don't measure up to the idealized INFP type description. Big deal. Nobody else measures up to their type description either. If you want your Ne to do something useful, set it to finding ways in which you don't measure up to the ideal INFJ. Are you a cool, mysterious sage? Can you see the mysteries of the universe floating behind your Mom's left ear, so that she keeps nervously looking over her shoulder? Can you whisper to a man in a darkened cell until he swallows his own tongue?

No? Well, obviously you don't measure up to the great INFJs such as Jeff Bridges, The Amazing Kreskin, and Hannibal the Cannibal. Now think of some ways in which you're not as sexy as an ESFP.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The last one. Neither of those tidbits invalidates you as an INFP. Of course you get upset when people poke fun at you. Of course you're not as creative as other, more creative people. But look what you're doing here. You're using Ne to make these connections and Fi to, well, worry about them. Stop that.

Yeah, I suppose fear of embarassment isn't confined to Fe alone... It's just, I keep commiting the fallacy of thinking INFPs are a lot more like ENFPs than they actually are, since they share functions, and ENFPs usually seem pretty confident, even when they're flighty and bubbly... :D

Also, I've heard Ne can have a "catastrophic" element, especially in SJs who haven't developed it properly. Like when you ask someone "What could possibly go wrong?" - and they actually begin lising the stuff that could! Is that what you're saying here?

No, you don't measure up to the idealized INFP type description. Big deal. Nobody else measures up to their type description either. If you want your Ne to do something useful, set it to finding ways in which you don't measure up to the ideal INFJ. Are you a cool, mysterious sage? Can you see the mysteries of the universe floating behind your Mom's left ear, so that she keeps nervously looking over her shoulder? Can you whisper to a man in a darkened cell until he swallows his own tongue?

No? Well, obviously you don't measure up to the great INFJs such as Jeff Bridges, The Amazing Kreskin, and Hannibal the Cannibal. Now think of some ways in which you're not as sexy as an ESFP.

I think I get your drift here, but the thing is, I was also thinking of unhealthy INFs; I've heard tales of INFPs "exploding", as previously mentioned, but, the more stressed I get, the more aloof I get, and I don't know for sure whether there are INFPs who do that... :thinking:

Then again, maybe the fact that I refuse to let this darn thread die in peace is a sign that I am an INFP. :smile:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To be honest, sometimes I'm downright reclusive; during vacation, I'm almost a hikkikomori. (Ironically, the most extraverted introverts, ISFPs, are Fi-dom rather than Fe-dom. Funny how that works.)
I don't know what gave you that idea. most of the ISFPs I've met have barely talked in their lives

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I don't know what gave you that idea. most of the ISFPs I've met have barely talked in their lives

Well, I linked the thread about "the most extraverted introverts, the most introverted extraverts, etc." a few pages ago. Almost everyone said ISFPs are the most extraverted introverts, generally speaking, and my mom is no exception (I don't know how she can keep up with so many people!). She may need her rest, but, as a small business owner, she knows a lot of people and usually tries to get me outta my shell. :newwink:

(On a related note, ENxPs were "voted" - there was no poll or anything - the most introverted extraverts. I've seen you change your self-typing, so that might have something to do with it. Just a heads-up, buddy.)

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Also, I've heard Ne can have a "catastrophic" element, especially in SJs who haven't developed it properly. Like when you ask someone "What could possibly go wrong?" - and they actually begin listing the stuff that could! Is that what you're saying here?

Something like that, yes. It's very open-ended and has no natural stopping point. It's never really satisfied, it just gets tired and/or bored.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Something like that, yes. It's very open-ended and has no natural stopping point. It's never really satisfied, it just gets tired and/or bored.

Funny how that works - Ne is usually associated with spontaneity and "just doing it" (in a similar way to Se), but, if I understand you, it can also be used in a "worrying" fashion (kinda makes me think of those Woody Allen characters... :smile:). We all learn something new every day, I guess.

I usually seem pretty conservative and withdrawn because I "shoot down" ideas for doing stuff when my ISFP mom suggests them without me asking; it's not a rejection, it's more like, "Gee, I dunno if I want to go, how long do you think it'll take?". I'm about to take a three-week vacation with the family and all I can think of is, "Will I be able to visit my regular Internet haunts and post regularly on this forum?". I thought that was a surefire way to J-dom, but now, I'm (again) unsure... :thinking:

B

brainheart

I'm unsure on the P or J business, but I seriously doubt your being a 5w4. My money is on 9w1.

(And you can doubt my INFP status cause I do as well, all the time.)