• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Yet another confused INFx

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm unsure on the P or J business, but I seriously doubt your being a 5w4. My money is on 9w1.

(And you can doubt my INFP status cause I do as well, all the time.)

Well, thing is, I started thinking about that too, but there are a few things that seem odd about that:

* The 9w1's "strategy" is usually self-narcotization. However, I find very hard to find inner peace, as my mind is whirring constantly with the several (pretty unjustified, I'll admit) neuroses and insecurities that don't seem to plague the Nine. From what I gather, their "sin" is that they don't worry enough. While I'm kind of a peacekeeper, a go-alonger, whatever you feel like calling it, it's more of a desire to avoid opening wounds or making people angry. Doing that doesn't make me so much "sad" as "afraid" (according to Vicky Jo, this is another point for INFJ over INFP). I'm much more "Jeff Goldblum" than "Dalai Lama".
* I believe my mother (boy, she's popping up frequently in this thread, uh? Paging Dr. Freud!) is a Type Nine (dunno the wing). While I mentioned a while back that I had more in common with her than with my dad (we're both patient and introverted, as well as bookish and kind of intellectual), I also clash with her frequently. She wants me to be more "laid-back" and "live a little", but I have a bit of a negative streak. While I'm kind of pessimistic, though, I'm not quite cynical like Sixes are sometimes said to be (even INFP George Orwell demonstrated a bitter disposition in his writings when it came to the circles of power).
* I mentioned yesterday to my mom (while we were getting ready to watch Aronofsky's Black Swan) something that I realized was true after quite a while: I often preemptively worry about the feelings a work might stir within me before reading/watching it; she said that, as for herself, she figured that, since she can't predict that sort of stuff, she might as well go ahead and do it. That seems like a 9 vs. 5w4 difference to me...

Thanks for the feedback anyway! :hug: I'm glad people are still contributing to this glorified monument to my self-absorption thread!

B

brainheart

Well, thing is, I started thinking about that too, but there are a few things that seem odd about that:

* The 9w1's "strategy" is usually self-narcotization. However, I find very hard to find inner peace, as my mind is whirring constantly with the several (pretty unjustified, I'll admit) neuroses and insecurities that don't seem to plague the Nine. From what I gather, their "sin" is that they don't worry enough. While I'm kind of a peacekeeper, a go-alonger, whatever you feel like calling it, it's more of a desire to avoid opening wounds or making people angry. Doing that doesn't make me so much "sad" as "afraid" (according to Vicky Jo, this is another point for INFJ over INFP). I'm much more "Jeff Goldblum" than "Dalai Lama".

Okay, then you're a six. Fives withdraw because they want to be left alone, not for security- that's a six thing. Threes, sixes, and nines have issues with lack of self-awareness. I'd say that's your deal.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Okay, then you're a six. Fives withdraw because they want to be left alone, not for security- that's a six thing. Threes, sixes, and nines have issues with lack of self-awareness. I'd say that's your deal.

Hold it! I didn't say security was my chief concern. I do want to be left alone to think, though I also do so because I'm afraid I'll hurt people with my words... I kinda have some trouble with the whole "conflict is a healthy part of a relationship" thing. :(

I've also noticed I tend to take things (including myself) kinda waaay too seriously - I can't stand to be mocked, and always perceive it as thinly veiled criticism. Do many INFPs have trouble with that?

P.S.: Sorry if I post less in the next three weeks. I'm currently on vacation in a place with lots o' stuff to do and wonky wi-fi.

B

brainheart

Sorry, Viridian, I don't mean to tell you what you are. I just mean to say that you don't strike me as a 5. As far as the INFJ or INFP thing goes... I don't even know about myself and I've been thinking about this stuff for a couple of years now. I've pretty much moved on to the enneagram because it makes way more sense to me and doesn't get all caught up in the S or N, P or J, T or F, I or E foofaraw. Also, you don't see the 'thinking triad' dissing on the 'instinctive triad' or anything like that. It seems far less divisive and more helpful for self-growth.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Sorry, Viridian, I don't mean to tell you what you are. I just mean to say that you don't strike me as a 5. As far as the INFJ or INFP thing goes... I don't even know about myself and I've been thinking about this stuff for a couple of years now. I've pretty much moved on to the enneagram because it makes way more sense to me and doesn't get all caught up in the S or N, P or J, T or F, I or E foofaraw. Also, you don't see the 'thinking triad' dissing on the 'instinctive triad' or anything like that. It seems far less divisive and more helpful for self-growth.

S'okay, dude! Sorry if I sounded a bit pissed off. I've been wondering about the whole Five thing myself, since I've got no head for literary criticism or stuff like that. It's just, all I've been hearing about Fours makes them sound like people who embrace conflict, whereas I avoid it (it annoys even my ISFP mom, believe it or not). Plus, what is this thread for if not for people telling me what my type seems like? :newwink:

And yeah, I see quite a bit of "type bigotry", especially towards SJs... but I think most people in this forum are open-minded and understanding, which is why I love it. I wish you luck in your own typology quest! :hug:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Thanks for the link, brainheart! I'll post my thoughts on the loops as soon as I find a computer larger than a lunchbox...

EDIT: Well, based on what I've read, the Fi/Si loop seems more like my thing. I'm not exactly rebellious - sometimes I'm critical, but that's not exactly something I embrace - and I sometimes have a bit of a phobia when it comes to human contact. :doh:

I'm still open for feedback, but INFP seems more likely according to your (that is, the previous posters') observations and hunches. I'm still hung up on the "inner peace" thing, though... I'm pretty neurotic and aloof, which I've heard are more J-ish traits, and there's the whole organization/structure/method thing...

In any case, thanks, guys! :hug:

Last edited:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm curious, though, brainheart, what about me seems to say "not 5" to you? Lack of detachment?

B

brainheart

I'm curious, though, brainheart, what about me seems to say "not 5" to you? Lack of detachment?

Well, you said you're often aloof but on here you don't seem all that aloof. I don't know, really. Just a feeling, not something I can precisely explain. And Fi can be plenty aloof, if that's what you find confusing.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Do you suppose I should post those questions a few pages back in a thread of their own? If so, which subforum should it be in?

I'm always looking forward to learning about INFs, but the INFJ vs. ENFP threads I've seen... (shudder)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Also, to those to whom I seem to give off an INFP vibe, what about my descriptions (and overall style) seems Fi-ish?

(OH NOES! It's The Return of the Moribund Thread IV!)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Okay, here's a fun idea (more fun than the last five pages, at least): I'll describe some of my coping strategies/moods under less-than-pleasant circumstances (nothing extreme, like being accused of murder...) in the most awesomest way I know - Ace Attorney sprites!

Mildly Upset

4NVos.gif

("T-this doesn't look good...")

Y3yuM.gif

(Agreeableness becomes slightly forced)

RKkr1.gif

(Aloofness, withdrawal)

Pretty Nervous / Stressed

cIIPp.gif

("Look happy. Look happy.")

XKa24.gif

("T-this doesn't concern you...")

BF6Wk.gif

(Stiffness, nervous tics)

0S1So.gif

(Obsequiousness, fear of people getting angry or upset)

TTSRQ.gif

("I know all about that I READ IT ON WIKIPEDIA DAMMIT")

roBaU.gif

(Submission; "Maybe if I am well-behaved and do as they say, no one will criticize me")

NEXl8.gif

("I dunno, I just do what I'm told")

EZnIw.gif

("If I share my knowledge and insights, they will be under close scrutiny; better keep it away from those sharp eyes")

Red Alert

cc8oM.gif

(Polite yet subtly threatening)

ch1KA.gif

(Occasional bursts of vulnerability; fliching when threatened)

jh7vI.gif

(ABORT ABORT ABORT)

rOJUh.gif

(Defensive criticism)

xkEue.gif

(Forced smiles; attempts at emotional control with subpar results)

bWgKS.gif

("Since no one else will, I'll solve the dang problem at once!")

dxDF5.gif

(Seeking refuge from reality)

jjoQP.gif

(avoiding human contact)

lhBbI.gif

("Don't you dare pity me! I neither need nor deserve it!")

3ISUn.gif

("Anything I do can and will result in embarassment and humiliation")

On The Inside

RYJsY.gif

(Fear of hurting or being hurt; "hedgehog's dilemma")

KzNKR.gif

(Shame; "I've disappointed those I care about and those who care about me")

1eBZl.gif

("If I punish myself enough, no one else will be able to")

So, whaddya think? :thinking:

Last edited:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
based on these pictures, you look much more like an INFJ, but it would be foolish of me to make a decision based on them alone

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
S'okay, dude! Sorry if I sounded a bit pissed off. I've been wondering about the whole Five thing myself, since I've got no head for literary criticism or stuff like that. It's just, all I've been hearing about Fours makes them sound like people who embrace conflict, whereas I avoid it (it annoys even my ISFP mom, believe it or not). Plus, what is this thread for if not for people telling me what my type seems like? :newwink:

And yeah, I see quite a bit of "type bigotry", especially towards SJs... but I think most people in this forum are open-minded and understanding, which is why I love it. I wish you luck in your own typology quest! :hug:

you see this in on forums because they are domating by Ns types. In real life, there's way more prejudice against NTs, NF males, Is, an Ps. In America, people think NTs are heartless, all NF males are gay (this is friggin ridiculous), Is are anti social (not to mention that most people's definition of anti social is SO off) and Ps are lazy. hence, if you are an INTP or INFP male, most people misconceive you in your entirety.
ENFPs on the other hand are kind of strange because most people have very strong opinions about us. I don't mean to be self inflating, but we're really kind of like celebrities sometimes. people either hate us and are extremely offended by us, want to be us or (much of the time) a little bit of both. as a child I found myself 1 minute making everyone in the class laugh for histerically and the next having people scream at me. fortunately for me, I'm also type 8 so I quickly learned how to socially bitch slap people (in extreme cases), subtly check them (used more often) and assume an heir of "I'm friendly but don't step to me"
PS: I agree with brainheart, studying enneagram would be a great idea :newwink:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh and I almost forgot, if you speak with any kind of intelligence at all, people think you're arrogant, pretentious and weak (I really hate America lol)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hey, you're here! Thank for the feedback, Elfboy! :hi:

based on these pictures, you look much more like an INFJ, but it would be foolish of me to make a decision based on them alone

Did you read the captions I put? They're relevant to what I was trying to express...

Also, I think you're aware of this, but, as you yourself said, you're a bit of an unusual ENFP (8w9, was it?). Some INFPs, especially Sixes and Nines, can be somewhat more insecure, or so I've been told. Shyness in Fi types seems to have less of a "shame" element, though... :thinking:

you see this in on forums because they are domating by Ns types. In real life, there's way more prejudice against NTs, NF males, Is, an Ps. In America, people think NTs are heartless, all NF males are gay (this is friggin ridiculous), Is are anti social (not to mention that most people's definition of anti social is SO off) and Ps are lazy. hence, if you are an INTP or INFP male, most people misconceive you in your entirety.
ENFPs on the other hand are kind of strange because most people have very strong opinions about us. I don't mean to be self inflating, but we're really kind of like celebrities sometimes. people either hate us and are extremely offended by us, want to be us or (much of the time) a little bit of both. as a child I found myself 1 minute making everyone in the class laugh for histerically and the next having people scream at me. fortunately for me, I'm also type 8 so I quickly learned how to socially bitch slap people (in extreme cases), subtly check them (used more often) and assume an heir of "I'm friendly but don't step to me"

I know, I know, I've read it before... Keep in mind, I wrote that before this thread started. I'm just saying mutual understanding is important when considering these matters.

PS: I agree with brainheart, studying enneagram would be a great idea :newwink:

Hmmm... Do you suppose I should create a separate thread for thoughts on my enneagram?

Again, thanks! You've been a very good friend to me. :blush:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm... Do you suppose I should create a separate thread for thoughts on my enneagram?

Again, thanks! You've been a very good friend to me.

:yes:

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know this is going so sound crazy Viridian, but what about ENFP?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And I'm saying this because your function order from strongest to lowest was this:

Ne Ti Fi Te Ni Si Fe Se

Therefore, considering that you mentioned that you don't use Ti that often, your order would go Ne - Fi - Te - Si, which just about fits.