• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm an ENTP... my friend claims he's an INTJ.. but I know he's not. Plz help him?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds INFJ to me. Not the appreciation for aesthetics, but the absolute avoidance of disagreement is something I've never seen in a fellow INTJ. Disagreeing with people, and being right, are the greatest things ever.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds INFJ to me. Not the appreciation for aesthetics, but the absolute avoidance of disagreement is something I've never seen in a fellow INTJ. Disagreeing with people, and being right, are the greatest things ever.

Couldn't an INTJ see disagreement as a waste of time and energy, inefficient, simply thinking to themselves they are right, or there is no point in persuing this?

I've had an INTJ avoid disagreement with me. I know.

Nicodemus

Couldn't an INTJ see disagreement as a waste of time and energy, inefficient, simply thinking to themselves they are right, or there is no point in persuing this?
Zarathustra would probably say that with a well-developed Fe, one might choose that road. But it is highly unlikely to work as a general attitude (which it seems to be the case with the fellow in question), because if you want to solve problems, and if you want others to see and do it the right way, the issues of approaching and understanding the problem have to be addressed and solved first. For if everybody does as he pleases, the whole project will be immobilized. So disagreement, which comes up naturally when people try to understand things, cannot always be avoided.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You just have to cut a bit off from the wager of your INTJ and he'll start to encourage disagreement :D

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, but there's a difference between just setting a topic aside or not bringing it up and actually refusing to talk about it. That seems to be more what the OP is describing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, but there's a difference between just setting a topic aside or not bringing it up and actually refusing to talk about it. That seems to be more what the OP is describing.

Mmmhmm. You're saying refusal to talk about something isn't an INTJ trait? Wouldn't that be a form of being dismissive? Maybe in the case I'm thinking of the person is being a little more F-ish for a particular reason.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
Mmmhmm. You're saying refusal to talk about something isn't an INTJ trait? Wouldn't that be a form of being dismissive?
I tend to think my views are based on logical consistency and are easily defensible from the Te perspective. It would be very uncharacteristic for me to not engage in discussion when when prompted. I only go with the "agree to disagree" thing if I like the person enough to overlook that fact that they are wrong. :) It is not my default preference.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey thanks for the link,

from what I've read INFJ and INTJs are very similar. Except that INFJs care more about appropriateness and appearances than INTJs do. Which my friend cares a lot for. I know both an ENTJ and INTJ, and they both can be quite dicks. But my friend is always very polite and diplomatic. His rational is that it's logical to behave they way he does, and that everyone should too. He's also quite good at picking up girls in clubs (...)

INFJ. I dont' think it's actually that hard to distinguish INFJ's from INTJ's. Their care and the way they express are too different. Fe is probably the easiest function to spot.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mmmhmm. You're saying refusal to talk about something isn't an INTJ trait? Wouldn't that be a form of being dismissive? Maybe in the case I'm thinking of the person is being a little more F-ish for a particular reason.

The third to last and the last bullet points are practically the definition of Fe. Te/Fi users rarely have that kind of awareness of social expectation.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

I considered that the subject of the OP might just be dismissive when it comes to arguing, and that this could certainly be an INTJ trait, but, combined with everything else described in the OP, I think it seems to be pointing to an INFJ...

Of course, the whole description comes from an ENTP, and I never harbour an expectation of truth from them, so who really knows...

INFJ. I dont' think it's actually that hard to distinguish INFJ's from INTJ's. Their care and the way they express are too different. Fe is probably the easiest function to spot.

I actually agree with Craft here. On both counts.

The third to last and the last bullet points are practically the definition of Fe. Te/Fi users rarely have that kind of awareness of social expectation.

But remember, this is coming from an ENTP who has his mind set on convincing you that his friend's an INFJ...

But that being said, I very much agree with you.

Unless, of course, the guy has some Fi-value about social niceties, which is always a possibility (albeit a quite remote one), that sounds like Fe-aux.

Zarathustra would probably say...

:laugh:

I don't even know what to say about this...

To the OP: first of all, fix your attitude. Your behavior towards Entropie was not necessary and was very uncool (see: an INTJ can care about others' behavior).

Second, tell your friend that: 1) it's understandable for male INFJs to want to think of themselves as INTJs, due to a sort of stigma associated with being a male F, and especially a male IF - I believe INFJ is the rarest type amongst men, at ~0.5% (compared to ~2.5% for INTJ); 2) INFJs are the strongest thinkers of the NFs (and probably all F-types; many famous philosophers have been INFJs), due to their tertiary Ti, which, when combined with a fair dose of introversion, can actually be stronger than what the MBTI would predict would be their second function: Fe (this can happen if an introvert doesn't develop their extroverted auxiliary function well enough, and so uses two introverted functions first; in your friend's case, if he were INFJ, he would probably use Ni+Ti, which would be a highly "logical" pairing of functions; in my case, I'm actually a very extroverted INTJ, but my two highest functions often are Ni and Fi, with Te coming in right behind Fi, so this phenomenon need not even indicate strong introverted tendencies...); 3) F-functions have a logic behind them, so to simply use the "But I'm so logical" card is really a failure to understand what logic (as well as the functions) really is; and, finally, 3.5) to be as concerned with the logic of one's own, as well as others', behavior towards other people is almost certainly a sign of the logic that is Fe. Therefore, based on your description, the guy sounds like an INFJ.

But that all depends on the truthfulness and accuracy of your description...

R

Riva

Cool, so you think who I'm describing an INTJ? What do you think of this guy in this video? [YOUTUBE="6m83kD6VoA0"][/YOUTUBE] My friend is eerily close to this guy...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m83kD6VoA0"]INFJ guy[/YOUTUBE]

EEEeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrh! After watching this video, I feel it must be depressing to be an INFJ? (Male)