• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type a friend of mine

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ironic thing is, whenever I ask him a question, he gives me a long explanation, and then I end up saying "So, do you mean ____?" Even my INTJ grandfather was long-winded!

But, in response to your theory...

I think you might have a point, here. Perhaps children that develop Fe as Ni users are looking for acceptance in their community? Perhaps they fear some form of retaliation against them, so they want to be as accommodating as possible?

Interesting concept though, that people develop judging functions as a defense/ coping mechanism.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It isn't about me, I can assure you. Te mimicking Fe... this concept has me intrigued. What are some ways that Te can mimic Fe?

I've noticed this too. Way noticed. INTJs can be extremely polite. It's almost better, because it's more rational. But there is a big difference. INTJ polite is civil, measured, restrained, rational, and effective. INFJ polite has a warmth and a nurturing quality to it, even when the INFJ seems more T-ish. I can "feel" the difference. INTJ is a bit cooler, can even be chilly.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, his politeness feels more from a restrained, civil point of view. He doesn't tend to bond instantly with people. Frustrates quite a few of my xSFJ friends. :D I can sense warmth in him, but it isn't out there in the open.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then he wants you to understand.

Indeed. When the "Aha!" moment happens, and I get what he's saying, it's a great feeling. I feel like I've learned something.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yep, his politeness feels more from a restrained, civil point of view. He doesn't tend to bond instantly with people. Frustrates quite a few of my xSFJ friends. :D I can sense warmth in him, but it isn't out there in the open.

Yeah yeah...they have warmth in them, surely. But with INFJ it seems more pertinent to either bond and/or understand, and not just with a few particular chosen people.

I've noticed that INTJ can really want to teach, instruct, or help you in some practical way. Their advice-giving is more concise and directive. INFJ is going to be more concerned with the presentation of their advice, and they want to guide, and they stop and check that you're on the same page or they aren't offending you...I think it's interesting what you said in an earlier post about the children, about you having all those particular ideas on how things should go for them, and him being more detached and letting them be but wanting to teach them. That makes sense.

Nicodemus

Indeed. When the "Aha!" moment happens, and I get what he's saying, it's a great feeling. I feel like I've learned something.
The difference between stating your opinion and explainig it is, for me, like the difference between evaluating a picture and giving an accurate picture description: while the conclusion is the same, the latter is much more laborious. Most people, however, need the description to see that the conclusion is correct.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
There is a poetry to this thread that is beautiful.

I have seen none other like it...

The ironic thing is, whenever I ask him a question, he gives me a long explanation, and then I end up saying "So, do you mean ____?" Even my INTJ grandfather was long-winded!

Then he wants you to understand.

The difference between stating your opinion and explainig it is, for me, like the difference between evaluating a picture and giving an accurate picture description: while the conclusion is the same, the latter is much more laborious. Most people, however, need the description to see that the conclusion is correct.

I was going to offer my own take on the matter, but I'm not sure it will surpass this.

All I will add is that there is Te-getting-things-done mode, and then there is NiTeFi-explanatory mode.

Those are two very different things, and, imo, are related to the two modes Nicodemus just explained.

Te mimicking Fe... this concept has me intrigued. What are some ways that Te can mimic Fe?

I've noticed this too. Way noticed. INTJs can be extremely polite. It's almost better, because it's more rational. But there is a big difference. INTJ polite is civil, measured, restrained, rational, and effective. INFJ polite has a warmth and a nurturing quality to it, even when the INFJ seems more T-ish. I can "feel" the difference. INTJ is a bit cooler, can even be chilly.

If he were an INFJ, he'd probably get along with the SFJ friends just fine...

Yeah yeah...they have warmth in them, surely. But with INFJ it seems more pertinent to either bond and/or understand, and not just with a few particular chosen people.

I've noticed that INTJ can really want to teach, instruct, or help you in some practical way. Their advice-giving is more concise and directive. INFJ is going to be more concerned with the presentation of their advice, and they want to guide, and they stop and check that you're on the same page or they aren't offending you...I think it's interesting what you said in an earlier post about the children, about you having all those particular ideas on how things should go for them, and him being more detached and letting them be but wanting to teach them. That makes sense.

Yeah, well explained Marm.

To answer your question Curious (sorry, somehow forgot to...): I think there's two ways of looking at it. The description Marm has given actually touches on both.

First, there's Te's recognition of Fe codes of conduct, or standards of behavior. The Te-user won't necessarily be drawn to the standard in the same way as an Fe-user, but they can recognize it, and choose whether or not to abide by it; second, there's the Te-user's desire for things to go smoothly, efficiently, and without a hitch, and this can either by itself, or in conjunction with the first, develop into the sort of behavior amongst INTJs described by Marm. It often seems to be tinged with a sort of honor or integrity, which, in my opinion, has to do with all of the above, plus a bit of Fi chiming in, declaring that what the individual is doing is in accord with their authentic being.

But, in response to your theory...

I think you might have a point, here. Perhaps children that develop Fe as Ni users are looking for acceptance in their community? Perhaps they fear some form of retaliation against them, so they want to be as accommodating as possible?

Awesome that you mentioned that independently, cuz the bolded is exactly what I was thinking.

I actually wrote it down, but then deleted it, as I didn't want to derail the thread by unnecessarily attacking Fe.

I hadn't even gotten to thinking of the bolded and underlined, but it would seem to be accurate as well...

Interesting concept though, that people develop judging functions as a defense/ coping mechanism.

Oy, there Ti! Don't start making first principles too fast!

I haven't thought about this enough with regards to the other types (nor even Ni-doms), so I don't want to start trumpeting its truth too quickly...

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah, INTJs I've interacted with have seemed the type to want to educate the kids with practical advice for life. When it comes to advice, especially when it comes to figuring out a career path for someone, I feel like a damn Harry Potter sorting hat! :laugh: Can't seem to fight the Fe instinct.

Is it just me, or do some INFJs have a chaotic system for getting things done... it may seem convoluted as hell, and inefficient, but it gets the job done. Tendency to over-complicate things. INTJs, on the other hand, are much more concise in getting the job done... it seems much more stepwise, less haphazard.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Figuring out what the picture means from an overall perspective is a beautiful thing. Everything ties up in a package of information. The fun part is sending the package to another person, and they unwrap the information, and then they get it in the same way you do. One of the reasons why I love educating people, when the lights go on in their head and they understand a concept. Trouble is, I find that describing things to minute details can be very painstaking, tedious even. It can be stressful, because I can get so caught up in the details that I fail to see the big picture, and it doesn't feel natural!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, INTJs I've interacted with have seemed the type to want to educate the kids with practical advice for life.

I'm not sure if I've ever known an INTJ female, but every INTJ male I've ever known whether he was my teacher or my friend, older than me or my age, has taught me something. I wonder if this is just the nature of the NT, though.

When it comes to advice, especially when it comes to figuring out a career path for someone, I feel like a damn Harry Potter sorting hat! :laugh: Can't seem to fight the Fe instinct.

:wink:

Is it just me, or do some INFJs have a chaotic system for getting things done... it may seem convoluted as hell, and inefficient, but it gets the job done. Tendency to over-complicate things. INTJs, on the other hand, are much more concise in getting the job done... it seems much more stepwise, less haphazard.

Yes, I think that's true because INFJ systems concern people, and people and relationships can be "messy." INTJs seem more "focused" to me, even when they're dealing with people.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

It's rather chaotic for me as well...

I know it'll all turn out just fine, and I more or less know the steps along the way, but my problem is that I set up very ambitious projects that require much time and labor to follow through on...

Once they're done, though... :D

Figuring out what the picture means from an overall perspective is a beautiful thing. Everything ties up in a package of information. The fun part is sending the package to another person, and they unwrap the information, and then they get it in the same way you do. One of the reasons why I love educating people, when the lights go on in their head and they understand a concept. Trouble is, I find that describing things to minute details can be very painstaking, tedious even. It can be stressful, because I can get so caught up in the details that I fail to see the big picture, and it doesn't feel natural!

I agree that it can be very draining...

The delivery is an art.

To my benefit, I majored in rhetoric, so I got a lot of practice.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not sure if I've ever known an INTJ female, but every INTJ male I've ever known whether he was my teacher or my friend, older than me or my age, has taught me something. I wonder if this is just the nature of the NT, though.

:wink:

Yes, I think that's true because INFJ systems concern people, and people and relationships can be "messy." INTJs seem more "focused" to me, even when they're dealing with people.

I'm chaotic when it comes to physically doing things... but when it comes to interacting with people, I am focused and determined. Dealing with relationships... it can be messy and not operate like a beautiful theory in science does, but I try to give the best advice I can when telling someone what to do in a difficult situation.

It's rather chaotic for me as well...

I know it'll all turn out just fine, and I more or less know the steps along the way, but my problem is that I set up very ambitious projects that require much time and labor to follow through on...

Once they're done, though... :D

I agree that it can be very draining...

The delivery is an art.

To my benefit, I majored in rhetoric, so I got a lot of practice.

Nothing like Ni standards of excellence, or desired outcomes. lol A lot of my desires are quite ambitious!

The delivery of a concept is an art for certain. :)