• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

SilentNight

I consider myself to be an INFP. But I have some characteristics that make me come across as INTP (people often see me as one).

Why INFP?

-Highly idealistic;
-I am attracted to sentimental things;
-I have a strong system of values that I follow strictly;
-I'm prone to feel hurt when people treat me bad;
-I offer sympathy to people that have issues, and give advice (but I may lose my patience when they get too emotional);
-I daydream a lot, principally about love;
-I have great interest in literature, music and arts;
-Interest in romance (my conception of romance, not that mellow thing that some people may call romance);
-Interest in people and spirituality;
-I'm very feminine;

Why INTP?

-Very critical;
-Strong analytical thinking;
-I always look for precision in thought, theories, speech, language in general;
-I don't appear vulnerable, and come across as harsh;
-People say that are afraid to talk to me thinking that I'll think they dumb (people consider me intelligent, so it intimidate others, they say they thought I was arrogant before talking to me);
-I don't care to social conventions;
-I hate ambiguous things;
-I like to know how things work;
-I have interest in things like philosophy, science (natural, social) and computers;
-I don't get emotional in situations, rarely cry, and get really annoyed by overly emotional, mellow and schmaltzy people. They really get on my nerves.

Any guesses? I can answer some questions to clarify things too.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
INFP

That's very Fi

-Very critical;
Te too can be critical/ect. Being logic doesn't make you TP :p

-I don't get emotional in situations, rarely cry, and get really annoyed by overly emotional, mellow and schmaltzy people. They really get on my nerves.
This isn't uncommon from INFPs, mainly because you're dominant Fi and what you stated would be more Fe
Same goes for this.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP, there's little I'd attribute to INTP.

silvermist

MBTI Type
INFP
INFP.

I consider myself to be an INFP. But I have some characteristics that make me come across as INTP (people often see me as one).

My dad is an INTP and he and I appear similar. I think INFP's don't necessarily appear so "F". Maybe it's our lack of Fe. I often have to TRY to express my feelings in order not to look cold. If you identify with the INFP description you probably are one, regardless of how people perceive you.

-Highly idealistic;
-Interest in romance (my conception of romance, not that mellow thing that some people may call romance);

Those traits seem very INFP-ish; I would be surprised to see an INTP like that (although, who knows).

I think the INTP traits you listed could go for either INFP or INTP, like not caring about social conventions and being interested in philosophy.

Hope this helps. :)

SilentNight

I think INFP's don't necessarily appear so "F". Maybe it's our lack of Fe. I often have to TRY to express my feelings in order not to look cold. If you identify with the INFP description you probably are one, regardless of how people perceive you.

Yeah, thinking better, my family members (mostly Fe-dom/aux) think of me as cold and rational because they only know Fe, so, being a Fi cause some misunderstandings, they don't believe I'm a feeler because I don't express my feelings very often. But I know my feelings... Oh, and I identify with the INFP description, a lot.

Maybe my confusion is something related to my inferior Te or demonic Ti... :doh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay, I'll take a stab at it.

Why INFP?

-Highly idealistic;
Lots of types can be idealistic. Typically its associated mostly with NF.

Above two suggest Fi

I think most people are like this. Perhaps INFPs dwell on past hurts more?

-I offer sympathy to people that have issues, and give advice (but I may lose my patience when they get too emotional);

Inconclusive. Could fit alot of types.

NF

-I have great interest in literature, music and arts;

I'd lean slightly towards NF but really any type could easily have this set of interests.

Not very conclusive. I lean towards INFP- you're interested in your own conception of it, not what other people consider romance. Fi > Fe

-Interest in people and spirituality;

NF

-I'm very feminine;

More likely to be an F type

Why INTP?

-Very critical;

Above two suggest T, not necessarily INTP

-I always look for precision in thought, theories, speech, language in general;

This is very INTP

-I don't appear vulnerable, and come across as harsh;

I think some INFPs can come across as harsh when their inferior Te comes out. I think INFPs in a way can come across as more harsh than INTPs who extravert Fe.

-People say that are afraid to talk to me thinking that I'll think they dumb (people consider me intelligent, so it intimidate others, they say they thought I was arrogant before talking to me);

This sounds more INTJ-ish

Could fit just about every non-SJ type, especially INxx and ENTP.

-I hate ambiguous things;

Sounds more J like than P like, although INTPs can be like this in a way as they are precision and clarity seekers.

-I like to know how things work;

Sounds INTP but I don't see why INFP couldn't be that way.

-I have interest in things like philosophy, science (natural, social) and computers;

Philosophy is primarily an N interest
Science can fit alot of types. Natural science I'd guess fits ST or NT more. Social science is more NF, I think.
What aspect of computers interests you? Is it the programming part? The mechanics behind how they work? Or do you just like spending alot of time on your computer? Interest in computers can fit alot of types. I associate an interest in computers more with T types, both ST and NT.

This could fit either INTP or INFP. INFPs have dominant Fi, so they are apt to keep emotions to themselves and may get irritated at strongly Fe displays of emotion.

Overall, I agree with the other respondents in that I think INFP is most likely.

SilentNight

Thank you all with the help. :)

As I can see now... my problem is that I'm the only Fi user in a Fe household. So, what people made me believe is "feeling" was the conception of Fe, that I lack. I strongly identify with the descriptions of Introverted Feeling, and by curiosity, I took the cognitive processes test. And I scored:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) *************************** (27.6)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *************************************** (39.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************************** (32.7)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.6)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************ (36.9)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************** (14.7)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************************* (45.9)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

So... as I always thought... INFP! ;)

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP because I wanted to take a stand for the less popular position but there doesn't seem to be enough points to efficiently support it so INFP. <--can that possibly make sense to you?