• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you type somebody who´s bipolar?

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
I'm serious when I ask about his "style" of mania. Everyone doesn't experience mania the same way, and I seriously think Js are more likely to get edgy/controlling vs. becoming extremely careless, which I think might be more common in Ps. Also, if he's extremely careful about his meds, won't take any risks with his treatment, I think he's more likely a J.

Just my two cents. Of course I'm speaking from the four dichotomies because I've decided against function theory for the time being.

My natural manic state is to become careless, which being a P, and very P at that is the more common one for me, this is when i am typically like this....

there's that happy-go-lucky mania where people start stealing cars for joy rides or other extremely dangerous risk-taking behaviors.

I also agree that a concert will generally just bring out the happy side in someone, people can get excitable regardless.

However because i am prone to mania, i do not generally need anti-depressants, during the times i DO need them it's a very fine balance between the medication helping my depression or just inducing a manic episode, that's when i tend to be more like this...

There is "high-strung" mania which is the bossy, controlling, vindictive, angry, delusions of grandeur kind of mania (I am untouchable, I am in control, if I see one speck of dirt I'll freak out)

While i said that mania can make me an extrovert, at times even though i am extroverted i completely withdraw from those around me who might actually know what's going on with me, and shut down any connection where it is anything beyond superficial. So i guess i retain the introversion anyway.

And i don't think my "type" changes during highs or lows, I am and remain essentially an INFP, just either the healthy or unhealthy version of one.

sculpting

My mom has hypomanic bipolar. (Type II??)

She is an ENFP naturally and would go through these spells where she would be very mentally and emotionally deep, learn a lot. During these spellshe would often be in therapy and so I learned a lot of that self help stuff by osmosis as a kid....

Then she would go on a crazy partying spree dump her husband pick up a drug/alcohol habit and ignore everything people told her. She would act very ESFP at these times-lasting upwards of months.

When she over and it was like she had forgotten all the things she had learned before the mania. Like she hadnt written the lessons to her hard drive or something or they had been over written. She would always insist she would never repeat them...then do it again...

When on meds, she is much more stable, but she still cannot recall lessons learned unless you really bluntly call her out on the lesson and even then acts confused. She still will do incredible irresponsible things...

So I would say she is an ENFP who turns into an ESFP...but not a mature ESFP...

I sometimes wonder if Si and Ni are perspectives of looking at the past...if because she flops back and worth between the Ne and se, if she isnt flopping the Si and Ni as well....thus sort of overwriting lessons learned..

She also has PTSD as she was very badly abused as a kid and it left her pretty messed up.

Sunny Ghost

You might even be able to tell from the WAY he is manic...I'm not trying to be funny. I think Js may be more likely to become MOAR controlling and angry when manic, and perhaps Ps are the kinds that go into "whhheeee I'm going to gamble away my life's savings" type of mania.

agreed here. i don't know if this is possible, but i think i used to be bipolar... and through separating myself from the world and severe introspection as well as studying buddhist philosophy, i "fixed" the situation slowly over the course of several years. this past half a year has been the most calm i've ever been. and the years prior, i'd slowly been slowing the swinging pendulum.

anyways, the phases of my life where i considered myself to be manic i came across much more extroverted. i had no inhibitions and partied a lot, drank a lot, went shopping a lot with the money i didn't need to spend. and to an excessive degree. however, one can see these are still very SP qualities i think. manic in an SP way.

on the low's, i retreated a lot. (i'm an introvert anyways, but these periods of retreating involved a lot of crying.) in general though, i have no problem being by myself and often won't think much of the fact that i'm by myself. i don't feel alone when i'm alone. even in the manic phases, my introversion i suppose would show in the fact that i might take off to another place by myself and go on a shopping spree.

Yes it's more like type and shadow-type, but essentially the same type.

Extraverts don't become introverts if depressed, I've heard this more than once. Being introspective and retreating to yourself, doesn't make you an introvert, it makes you a depressed extravert.
But I don't know if it's the other way around.
Manic introverts becoming extraverts, I think that may be possible. Or not
i don't know if one necessarily becomes extroverted, but i certainly made a lot of friends in my manic phase. inhibitions were lower, and due to feeling on top of the world, it was easier to meet new people.

but like i said, in general, manic or not, i never thought much about whether i was surrounded by people or not. i never felt alone necessarily because i was alone. my low's were full of self hatred or unexplainable sadness, but not necessarily loneliness.

Sunny Ghost

Orobas story actually just reminded me of an ENFP friend whom is diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

being an extrovert, with her specifically, her mood disorder will display itself with feeling abandonment or neglect from friends. she doesn't react too well to people not responding to her phone calls. or if she hasn't seen a friend in a few days, she freaks out and suddenly reacts in a stalk-like fashion and worry taking it all very personally. she personally had me drive her around to try and find a friend of ours once. this was when i first noticed her emotional problems. i later was in the middle of a break up of hers with another friend of mine, where i came to find out she kept driving by to check up on him wondering what he was up to and why he wouldn't respond to her.

prior to these instances, she had always seemed so calm and reposed. but when hurt she reacted very brashly. she even began severely talking down about our group of friends and spoke as though she were in a much better place or position in her life than everyone else we knew. though the reality wasn't necessarily true. and it was often spoken in a defensive sort of way.

i can't decide if this was her high or low, but i suppose being an extrovert, this was her low point. she was just more blunt and talkative about her thoughts than an introvert. she's one of those types that is completely incapable of being alone.