• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mysterious INFx...

Mazaretti

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Hello there!

(If you are too lazy to read my little "introduction", than just scroll down to the BLUE text.. :) )

I am quite new into all this type detection thing(about 2weeks), but when Im find something that I like to do or see some meaning or potential in there - Im really into that! So Ive been reading lot of stuff - starting with one of the David Keirsey's temperament sorter tests which was kind of incorrect.. It tested me as ISFP.. I read the description of this type - well, it just typed me very partly... I thought - well, these tests cant be very precise and was doing other - more important things... But something deep inside me could not just let it be forgotten.. I started to read some other sources of information for this type and found that there is some similarities with another type - INFP.. I started to read the description of it and then I felt something like big avalanche of snow raised inside me - that kind of energy and only because this type was hitting many nails on their heads! I was so overwhelmed that I started to read all about Idealists which is the 1 of the 4 main classes of temperaments by Keirsey (well, I guess you already knew that :D) And it was really something quite close to me - because all my life I was kind of seeking myself.. I didnt know myself and also that doesnt mean I do right now - I have read lot of interesting knowledge, but I feel that there is more and more to discover...
So I got the Keirseys book - Please Understand Me II, I read the introduction, all the table of contents and then everything about the Idealists.. I read every word and felt that it was something about me like I finally have found my road to go... Then the next day I read it again (I was also trying to type people I know well the rest of the time :) ) and I realized that somehow other type of Idealists fits closer to me than INFP.. And that is INFJ.. Then I started thinking that there must be some way to compare and decide which of the types I really am? I started to read more in depth about MBTI, also found some universal type recognition tools where I noticed one more aspect I didnt know earlier - Jungian functions' scale with 8 cognitive brain functions. That is quite interesting because I always wanted to know how my information perceiving and judging is working... I tried couple more tests, but I didnt fit to any regular INFP or INFJ type functions... Mostly the tests showed INFJ at the final decisions, though... But the functions were like the mix of both... Finally I found this test which must be much higher precision level of the all tests I have done in my opinion... http://www.socionics.com/sta/sta-1-r.html
Many questions in the test and lot of thinking about myself, but final decision was INFx and the most interesting part - that it puts J to the Conscious and P to the Unconscious level of mind... That means Im INFJ when Im in control of everything, but when my Unconscious comes up - Im INFP...

• But is it really possible?
  • And how does look my cognitive brain functions?
  • Are they change all the time or they are at similar level?
  • Is it possible to switch those functions with the whole type by will?
  • How to control my strengths and what are my strengths anyway?

So Im a little confused... :shrug:
Because in the real life I really can find situations where I feel strongly as an INFP and also as an INFJ... Although more INFJ than INFP.. Does it mean Im split personality? :) I read that these types has a strong tendency to "copy" and feel others, but this is just interesting...

I hope you can make my confusion at least a little to fade away... And thank you for reading my little "life story"... :D

R

RDF

Just in case you aren't aware: The final test that you mention (the one where you provided a link) is a Socionics test. Socionics isn't a direct match with MBTI. Basically, an INFJ in Socionics = an INFP in MBTI (and vice versa). So that might add an extra layer of confusion. From the Socionics website: "This is not an MBTI(r) equivalent, although it looks similar. All the capital letters practically mean the same as those in MBTI(r) acronym, apart from the small j/p, which has a different meaning than the capital J/P in MBTI." http://www.socionics.com/advan/whoiswho.html

Aside from that, you might want to check out the website at PersonalityPage.com. They take a cognitive function approach. For example, compare the following:
INFP = http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFP_per.html
INFJ = http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFJ_per.html

Welcome to TypoC! :hi:

Mazaretti

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thank you! :) So the Socionics is something different... I have already checked the personalitypage.com - cognitive function approach - by that scale Im definitely more INFJ than INFP.. But Im still confused about my cognitive processes... I tried this test http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html and counted the "checks" for each function... I came up with something like this:
Ni-22 Fe-21 Fi-15 Ne-13 Ti-11 Te-8 Se-7 Si-5

Which is some kind of strange... :shrug:

Only it is hard to think/remember how I actually think in all these aspects... Maybe it would be easier to do some practical test-something like here-and-now instead of remembering from my experience.. Ok, some functions you cant really test it by here-and-know, but at least you could get something more precise... Probably something like IQ tests only it would show the usage of cognitive processes you are using...

Im thinking - Im not really clear INFJ (MBTI), but it is closest to this type anyway..

R

RDF

But Im still confused about my cognitive processes... I tried this test http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html and counted the "checks" for each function... I came up with something like this:
Ni-22 Fe-21 Fi-15 Ne-13 Ti-11 Te-8 Se-7 Si-5

Which is some kind of strange... :shrug:

To be honest, I'm not really into taking lots of different tests, myself. (Plenty of other folks enjoy testing; just not me). But when I see cognitive function results like yours, here's my own particular way of reading them: These tests are going to be approximate at best; the more they try to be precise, the more "white noise" they end up capturing in the results. So, for example, if you score high on Ni, then you'll probably score somewhat high on Ne as well due to overlap of functions or test inability to differentiate out the two similar functions. So in results like yours I would call the Ne function a "fellow traveler" in this instance, and I would strip it out. Same with all the other "fellow travelers."

Stripping out the "fellow travelers," your results would be Ni-22, Fe-21, Ti-11, Se-7. And that's a classic INFJ pattern. INFJ cognitive functions are (from strongest to weakest): Ni, Fe, Ti, Se.

Another way to look at it: The strongest two functions of INFJ are Ni & Fe, while the strongest two functions of INFP are Fi & Ne. According to your test scores, you're clearly stronger at Ni/Fe (22 and 21) than at Fi/Ne (15 and 13). So again, that tells me that you're a pretty strong INFJ. (Though you might be able to do a convincing imitation of an INFP under the right circumstances. :D)

Once again, that's just my own way of reading your test results. As I said, I'm not really into taking lots of different tests, so I don't know the exact rules for interpreting that particular test. I'm just giving you a personal interpretation based on what I've read about these things in passing.

Anyway, if you're into taking tests and personality inventories, then visit the "Online Personality Tests" sub-forum within the "MBTI and other personality matrices" forum. There are lots of tests listed there as well as discussions about tests and results. I suspect you'll find what you need over there.

Link to the sub-forum: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/

By the way, as an INFP myself, you sound pretty INFJ to me. At this point I would say that it's 95 percent sure that you're an INFJ. But go ahead and head over to the "Online Personality Tests" sub-forum, and the folks that post there should be able to confirm or deny the information I've given you so far.

Good luck!