• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think I might be a J?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We were building a desk I bought from a store a while ago, and I wanted everything to be precise, so I was using the instructions. I have always relied on the instructions, but aren't Ps meant to not really care about them so much? Well, needless to say, I got to a certain part where the instructions were absolutely useless, they had diagrams that flip upside down and they didn't tell you which part was the front or back, I couldn't work it out. Then my dad and brother came and helped, and they just started putting bits in where they looked like they'd go, and I was pretty well like - :shock: 'You can't do that!!' But it worked, and now I have an awesome desk to study on ;).

Does my strict reliance on instructions make me more of a J than a P? I also have quite a lot of perfectionism, where everything HAS to be done in a certain way, it's not until I've had a certain amount of experience that I'll worry less about the instuctions. My dad and brother are both Se doms though, so maybe I can chalk it up to that? What do you think?

Chloe

you are a P.

i was very helpful:D I know. but its extremely obvious:D

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree, but I thought Ps hated going by the book?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think I might be gay too, often. Want to make out ?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We were building a desk I bought from a store a while ago, and I wanted everything to be precise, so I was using the instructions. I have always relied on the instructions, but aren't Ps meant to not really care about them so much? Well, needless to say, I got to a certain part where the instructions were absolutely useless, they had diagrams that flip upside down and they didn't tell you which part was the front or back, I couldn't work it out. Then my dad and brother came and helped, and they just started putting bits in where they looked like they'd go, and I was pretty well like - :shock: 'You can't do that!!' But it worked, and now I have an awesome desk to study on ;).

Does my strict reliance on instructions make me more of a J than a P? I also have quite a lot of perfectionism, where everything HAS to be done in a certain way, it's not until I've had a certain amount of experience that I'll worry less about the instuctions. My dad and brother are both Se doms though, so maybe I can chalk it up to that? What do you think?

I don't know you well enough to assess where you stand on the J/P scale but I don't think the above example is a very reliable indicator of J/P. I think poorly written instructions would frustrate most people and I think lots of different types are perfectionists who care about doing things right. I know for myself, I definitely want clear instructions for some things, especially when it comes to assembling things because I am retarded in this area. I also prefer to follow a recipe when cooking something for the first time. This is primarily because when I'm starting out, I may not have enough knowledge to know what ingredients are absolutely essential and if having the correct amount of something is crucial or not. Once I've had more experience cooking something, then I'll start to vary things more and rely less on recipes but certainly not right away.

In some instances I don't read instructions when I'm confident I can figure things out on my own. When joining a new forum, I usually don't bother to read the FAQs. When trying out a new database or search engine I rarely read instructions. I just play around with the various buttons and controls. Then again, I'm alot more confident with my Internet search skills then I am with my mechanical skills.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

You, my friend are... NORMAL! :D There is a first for everything!

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
P's don't always have to have P-functions. Same goes for J's.

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
That sounds like Si or possibly Te. I suppose the safest assumption is that you just had a high Si day.