• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Zarathustra's Enneagram Type

What enneagram type am I? (please only vote if you've read the whole thread... thx:))

• 1w2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w8

• Total voters

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Btw, speedy, did you recently change yourself from a 6w5 to a 6w7?

Also, I saw you write this in another thread:

1: IxxJ+ENFJ
2: Any F type, especially the ExFJ ones, none T type
3: Everyone, except introverted feelers. Thinkers still though more prone to be 3 than feelers in my opinion
4: NF+ISFP
5: IxTx+INFJ and also some ENTPs, I've seen a few ENFPs too, but that still rare
6: Any type seriously. 6 seems to be more related with a lack of stability and certitude in childhood or youth than with any specific type
7: SPs+ENxPs
8: ExTx+ExFPs, and also INTJ and IxTPs, but it's less common.
9: IxxP+xNFJ. Especialy ISFP, ISTP, INTP and ENFJ for the 9w8 and ISFP, INFP, INTP and INFJ for the 9w1. In a minor way, we can see some ExFPs, ISFJs and ENTPs (especially the 9w8 for that last).

@bolded: odd you say that, because I'm generally considered to have had one of the most stable a secure childhoods of anybody I know... but I guess there was some uncertainty and insecurity that could only be seen from within my family that might make this note apply a bit more to me than would generally be thought by an outsider looking in... :thinking:

G

Ginkgo

The way I determined what enneagram type I was was by looking at their integration/disintegration points. When you're integrated, you're in "the zone".

For 8:
Stress/Disintegration point: Five. Eights may become withdrawn and isolated like unhealthy Fives in their pursuit of control
Security/Integration point: Two. Proactive and forward-thinking Eights learn to become helpful and cooperative like healthy Twos

For 6:
Stress/Disintegration point: Three. Paranoid and anxious Sixes may try to win over others, like unhealthy Threes, to cover up their anxiety
Security/Integration point: Nine. Positive Sixes may become more peaceful, open and receptive like healthy Nines

Which profile typifies your relationship with your girlfriend better?

Enneagram Type Four (the Individualist)
with
Enneagram Type Six (the Loyalist)

What Each Type Brings to the Relationship
Both Enneagram Fours and Sixes, have many natural affinities for each other, especially since both are highly emotional and often feel insecure around people. Both tend to strong, immediate feelings and to act on their unconscious hunches or intuitions. Sixes often misidentify themselves initially as Fours because of the traits that they actually have in common. These very traits can also be ones that they bring to the relationship, enabling them to have an unusual degree of empathy and tolerance for each other. In short, Fours and Sixes can bring to each other the feeling that they are kindred souls, connected by their feelings of abandonment and a certain distrust of others. They may feel like "orphans in the storm" who offer mutual support and reassurance. Rather than energize each other, when they are healthy, Fours and Sixes tend to support and stabilize each other, usually acting as a sounding board for worries and complaints that they feel they cannot air anywhere else.

Fours bring sensitivity, sensuality, and the ability to express emotions openly, including the feelings that Sixes themselves do not know how to express. Fours talk about their inner lives—again, something that Sixes often need to learn. Sixes bring hard work, perseverance, practicality, loyalty, and concern with security to the relationship. They are also often warm and unpredictably playful and able to break through whatever gloom and self-absorption Fours may periodically fall into. Fours give Sixes the sense that they are needed—helping to give Sixes more confidence in their ability to cope with things. Sixes like being practical and they often provide Fours with a platform of some kind to develop their creativity as well as the time and support they may need to work through their emotional issues. This combination creates steadiness and daring, balance and the ability to fill in the gaps for each other both in their own development and in practical affairs.

Or...

with
Enneagram Type Eight (the Challenger)

This can be one of the most creative relationship couplings, although it is also one of the most inherently volatile. Both Enneagram Fours and Eights are intense and have strong emotional responses; both seek to get a reaction from the other, and both can be dominating of their environments—Eights are socially dominant, Fours are emotionally dominant. Both types bring passion, intensity, energy, and deep (often unconscious) feelings to all aspects of the relationship. They are attracted to each other's storminess, the other's vulnerability, and the other's "hidden" qualities: neither is what they seem to be on the surface. Both types are also highly intuitive—Fours by being self-aware and knowledgeable about how they are feeling, and Eights with their intuition about external phenomena, often with an extremely accurate insight about the potentials and possibilities exhibited by others. Because of their passionate natures, both types can become impulsive and reckless, taking extreme risks for love of thrills or for the sensation of being alive—and this can be tremendously exciting to the other. But there are trade-offs: Fours tend to depend on the Eight's practicality and ability to protect and provide for them, whereas Eights tend to depend on the Four's sensitivity and mysterious sense of challenge—the Four's emotional life and heart may be one world that the Eight cannot easily conquer.

On the other hand, Fours see strength, charisma, and solidity in Eights. Both feel that the other can meet their intensity—that the other will not be boring or non-responsive to them. They make each other feel more alive—something that both want. Intensity, vitality, passion, and immediacy are the emotional hallmarks of this couple, and they relate to each other (and to others in their world) from an unusually high emotional pitch—there is always something happening in their relationship, and they like it this way.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

This could be the description of my relationship with my father:

Active child vs. Active parent
This scenario is thought to produce Enneagram type 8.

The child and parent experience open conflicts on a regular basis. They both have different agendas and oppose each other, thus giving rise to power struggles and explosive arguments. The Active parent is impatient and intolerant of the child's rebellious nature and tries to impose his will in an authoritarian fashion. The Active child, on the other hand, becomes aggressive, argumentative and persistent in getting his own way. The relationship becomes a sort of battlefield, which is how the child will later perceive the world around him (type 8).

Such a childhood scenario encourages the child to develop a keen eye for spotting other people's weaknesses and a thirst for imposing their will in an overly aggressive fashion. They learn to be assertive, strong and deny their fears and feelings of intimidation. These are the traits they needed to have in order to stand up to their domineering parents and still keep their own Active inborn approach.

This could be the description of my relationship with my mother:

Responsive child vs. Responsive parent
This scenario is thought to produce Enneagram type 6

This child will usually establish a very close relationship with his caretaker and will tend to become dependent on the nurturing, affectionate figure that offers him support and understanding. A strong desire for harmonious relationships is created and the Responsive child will reject and feel threatened by conflicts and lack of stability. Such types will seek playmates and groups that share their values and interests and will take an 'us against the world' stance, typically towards unfamiliar people and circumstances.

These Responsive children will prefer to play by the rules in order to keep themselves safe from any disharmony that will endanger their comforting, supportive relationships. They will be playful, endearing and loyal to their chosen groups and intimates, while at the same time remaining alert and vigilant to avoid any conflicts and hidden threats. Suspicion of other people's motives can arise as a protection from abandonment and rejection - they are in fact very afraid of losing their safe, nurturing grounds.

Both parents were very present in my childhood.

I just skimmed the article, but I didn't notice anything about determining which parent to use.

I did see something about "their main caretaker", but it's kind of ridiculous to assume that a child must have only one "main caretaker"...

EDIT: The one thing I'd have to add as an addendum to the relationship that supposedly produces eights is that my conflicts with my father were not exactly acrimonious, at least not in an open and hostile way. My dad is an extremely intimidating figure -- very loud, and very sharp -- and it would have been insane for me to engage in open hostility towards him. Furthermore, I respected him, and felt that most everything he expected of me was perfectly reasonable. What we did do was constantly engage in debates, on all different kinds of topics, ever since I can remember. It was more of a controlled conflict with an intentionally intellectual bent. My childhood friends still joke that I majored in rhetoric so I could defeat my dad in debates...

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Thanks for the opinions and comments, guys.

Anybody have any idea how to differentiate myself from a 6w5 sx/so, and an 8 sx/so?

Also, at what point does one of the numbers to the left or right of your primary number become a wing?

And what does it mean if you've got two numbers, not adjacent, that are both really high?

Is that supposedly a problem with the test? Or are there such things as 6/8s?

Or is it most likely aggression due to counterphobic 6ness causing me to register high on 8ness?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

A good point. I never claimed to be an 8, but viewed myself as a 5. Some people still suggest I am either, infact one guy claiming that I was only labelling 6w5 because I thought type 6's got a bad rep. :doh:

Anyway, it would seem that a type 8 is constantly trying to be assertive in all situations with a 8w7 being much more assertive than the 8w9 which is a mellower flavour. The type 6w5 seems to be only willing to assert when feeling stressed or pushed.

The complication for INTJs is that we 'should' most frequently type as 5w6, the analyst who believes in the importance of the analysis.

So if you are an INTJ with either 5w6 or 6w5 you will integrate towards 9w8 or 8w9 and thus carry a lot of the assertive 8 traits with you (on a good day).

Anyway, from what I can gather:

5 = Analytical and ignores the politics of the situation with a focus on technical arguments
6 = Analysis of both the politics as well as the technical arguments
8 = Will ignore both the technical or political an analysis unless required but demands adherence to their leadership and progress along paths they require.

Another note is that a 6 wishes to offload responsibility. they don't necessarily trust their own analysis because they dislike the risks in it; hence stress forcing action. Generally 6s know what they want much less than type 5s and are much happier when someone helps them to share the responsibility for decisions in work and personal life.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
The way I determined what enneagram type I was was by looking at their integration/disintegration points. When you're integrated, you're in "the zone".

For 8:
Stress/Disintegration point: Five. Eights may become withdrawn and isolated like unhealthy Fives in their pursuit of control
Security/Integration point: Two. Proactive and forward-thinking Eights learn to become helpful and cooperative like healthy Twos

For 6:
Stress/Disintegration point: Three. Paranoid and anxious Sixes may try to win over others, like unhealthy Threes, to cover up their anxiety
Security/Integration point: Nine. Positive Sixes may become more peaceful, open and receptive like healthy Nines

I think the least true of these would be the disintegration point for the 6; the disintegration point for the 8 seems to be more accurate. I'll have to mull this over a bit more, though.

The integration points both seem relevant to my life...

Not sure if this method is gunna do it...

Which profile typifies your relationship with your girlfriend better?

with
Enneagram Type Six (the Loyalist)

Both Enneagram Fours and Sixes, have many natural affinities for each other, especially since both are highly emotional and often feel insecure around people. Both tend to strong, immediate feelings and to act on their unconscious hunches or intuitions. Sixes often misidentify themselves initially as Fours because of the traits that they actually have in common. These very traits can also be ones that they bring to the relationship, enabling them to have an unusual degree of empathy and tolerance for each other. In short, Fours and Sixes can bring to each other the feeling that they are kindred souls, connected by their feelings of abandonment and a certain distrust of others. They may feel like "orphans in the storm" who offer mutual support and reassurance. Rather than energize each other, when they are healthy, Fours and Sixes tend to support and stabilize each other, usually acting as a sounding board for worries and complaints that they feel they cannot air anywhere else.

Fours bring sensitivity, sensuality, and the ability to express emotions openly, including the feelings that Sixes themselves do not know how to express. Fours talk about their inner lives—again, something that Sixes often need to learn. Sixes bring hard work, perseverance, practicality, loyalty, and concern with security to the relationship. They are also often warm and unpredictably playful and able to break through whatever gloom and self-absorption Fours may periodically fall into. Fours give Sixes the sense that they are needed—helping to give Sixes more confidence in their ability to cope with things. Sixes like being practical and they often provide Fours with a platform of some kind to develop their creativity as well as the time and support they may need to work through their emotional issues. This combination creates steadiness and daring, balance and the ability to fill in the gaps for each other both in their own development and in practical affairs.

Or...

with
Enneagram Type Eight (the Challenger)

This can be one of the most creative relationship couplings, although it is also one of the most inherently volatile. Both Enneagram Fours and Eights are intense and have strong emotional responses; both seek to get a reaction from the other, and both can be dominating of their environments—Eights are socially dominant, Fours are emotionally dominant. Both types bring passion, intensity, energy, and deep (often unconscious) feelings to all aspects of the relationship. They are attracted to each other's storminess, the other's vulnerability, and the other's "hidden" qualities: neither is what they seem to be on the surface. Both types are also highly intuitive—Fours by being self-aware and knowledgeable about how they are feeling, and Eights with their intuition about external phenomena, often with an extremely accurate insight about the potentials and possibilities exhibited by others. Because of their passionate natures, both types can become impulsive and reckless, taking extreme risks for love of thrills or for the sensation of being alive—and this can be tremendously exciting to the other. But there are trade-offs: Fours tend to depend on the Eight's practicality and ability to protect and provide for them, whereas Eights tend to depend on the Four's sensitivity and mysterious sense of challenge—the Four's emotional life and heart may be one world that the Eight cannot easily conquer.

On the other hand, Fours see strength, charisma, and solidity in Eights. Both feel that the other can meet their intensity—that the other will not be boring or non-responsive to them. They make each other feel more alive—something that both want. Intensity, vitality, passion, and immediacy are the emotional hallmarks of this couple, and they relate to each other (and to others in their world) from an unusually high emotional pitch—there is always something happening in their relationship, and they like it this way.

We both read these, and felt that there was some truth to each of them, but neither of them really hit the nail on the head.

I think there's a problem due to these descriptions lacking specificity -- a relationship between a 4w3 and a 6w7 would seem significantly different than that between a 4w5 and a 6w5...

The following post by Jim actually seems to be one of the most pertinent in this thread:

Anyway, it would seem that a type 8 is constantly trying to be assertive in all situations with a 8w7 being much more assertive than the 8w9 which is a mellower flavour. The type 6w5 seems to be only willing to assert when feeling stressed or pushed.

Hmmm...

Well, that begs the question of how often one is feeling stressed or pushed...

I could very well say that I'm always pushing myself, so therefore, I feel assertive all the time...

So if you are an INTJ with either 5w6 or 6w5 you will integrate towards 9w8 or 8w9 and thus carry a lot of the assertive 8 traits with you (on a good day).

THIS, I think, might be the mother lode.

So would 5w6 integrate towards 8w9? And 6w5 towards 9w8? Or the other way around?

Cuz I definitely have a power-seeking, assertive side to myself that I think is more characteristic of 8s, but I think the 6w5 description might be a better fit if I had to choose just one, so it very well could have to do with me being a 6w5 and just heading towards my integration point, or whatever.

This seems like a good nugget by which to spring into enneagram studies.

Thanks, Jim.

Anyway, from what I can gather:

5 = Analytical and ignores the politics of the situation with a focus on technical arguments
6 = Analysis of both the politics as well as the technical arguments
8 = Will ignore both the technical or political an analysis unless required but demands adherence to their leadership and progress along paths they require.

I'd say I go something like 6>5>8.

That's greater than, not heading to.

;)

Another note is that a 6 wishes to offload responsibility. they don't necessarily trust their own analysis because they dislike the risks in it; hence stress forcing action. Generally 6s know what they want much less than type 5s and are much happier when someone helps them to share the responsibility for decisions in work and personal life.

Unfortunately, neither of these descriptions seem to fit me very well.

:shrug:

Time to go learn about the enneagram.

Thanks for all the info folks.

It's been very helpful, and is much appreciated.

:cheese:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Actually, yeah, they both do, to some extent, but the 6 example rings more true than the 8.

Thanks for the find, but man, could those descriptions make everyone sound like any more of a bitch???

I think I'm a 6w5, but, for whatever reason, I've got somethin goin on with 8 as well. Could, as Jim said, have to do with the integration point of my 5 wing.

The thing is: when it comes to the "security" I'd supposedly be craving as a 6, I definitely go beyond that... I want more than just security -- I want to do great things.

That, I think, is where the question about 8ness comes into play, but, if I actually knew more about the system, I might find that it's simply an irrelevant concern.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Intuitives have a hard time identifying with sixes because the usual six description is very sensor-oriented and also uses a lot of corporate stereotypes. I could see you as a six, because you scored very high on the inner triangle of the enneagram of (3, 6, 9). And since you're a sexual subtype (more assertive and intense) it also makes sense why you would lean more towards three than nine. When sixes disintegrate to 3, they become VERY eight like. Also sometimes six have an "ubermensch" thing going on, where they try to be achieve superhero status as a form of compensation, so don't think that's just an eight quality.

It is very tricky to disentangle these two types, because they both can seem very aggressive and they are both acutely aware of power dynamics. If you got a phobic six result this wouldn't be a problem, but you just had to go and be assertive. :p But there are a few differences.

Sixes are always reactive, even if it doesn't appear that way. Because counterphobics sometimes react to things that haven't happened yet, it looks like mere aggression, but in reality it's because they are trying to deal with their concern before it deals with them. They would rather investigate the rustling sound in the bushes, because their imagination runs wild if they don't confront it. They are often reacting to a threat that their imagination posed. This can make them very good debaters, as they anticipate their opponents arguments and they focus on the negative, giving them an acute awareness of flaws and inconsistencies in reasoning. Eights are more likely to build up a strong argument and then just charge ahead full-steam until the conflict is over. Once they have made their minds up it's hard to stop them, where as six are more likely to modify their arguments mid-debate.

Sixes are skeptics who are always scanning for subtext. 8's are often oblivious to subtext, and if they sense hidden meaning they get angry. They see it as a form of treachery: If that's what you mean, then say it.

The thing is: when it comes to the "security" I'd supposedly be craving as a 6, I definitely go beyond that... I want more than just security -- I want to do great things

Here is something to ponder: When you say you want to do great things, do you fear the exposure that comes with it? In leadership positions do you find you feel safe because you are controlling the situation (Eightish), or do you feel defensive because your underlings resent your power over them(Sixish)?

Edit: Also here are six sx/so description vs. eight sx/so

personalitycafe.com said:
The counterphobic stance of the sexual Six can be seen in competition for attracting the right mate, and in testing to see who is worthy of trust. This is true of both sexual subtypes and especially true of the sexual/social. This type is likely to be found quite commonly among actresses and actors as they tend towards a dramatic presentation. Their need to be identified with their desirability and their strong social instinct, combine to sometimes make them public figures. They are less possessive of their mates, but still feel the need to have control in the relationship. They can have a very focused intensity. They can appear Four-like in their desire to express themselves and give into their passions. They define themselves in accordance with the prevailing gender norms opting to appear masculine or feminine as the case may be. This outward energy is sometimes counterbalanced with inward doubting, which can lead to depression, anger, and acting out, at the lower levels of health.

Anxiety isn’t as noticeable with the sexual variant of type Six, especially when the self-pres instinct is last. The typical things we associate with anxiety aren’t obvious with this subtype. Their anxiety is focused in the arena of relationships, and since their stance is mostly counterphobic, anxiety is not always obvious, and the Six too might be unaware of its presence. This can be true of all the subtypes of type Six. Their anxiety exists at a core level so that Sixes don't always know how to gauge its existence. So, even the more visibly anxious subtypes might not be aware of their underlying anxiety. The sexual/social can appear Eight-like, in their defense of their loved ones and social standing.

personalitycafe.com said:
This subtype of Eight manifests as the alpha male and alpha female. They demand everyone's attention, and usually get it. They can be very charismatic. The assertive energy of the Eight combines with the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. With the self-preservationist instinct least developed, this subtype has a lot of extroverted energy. This type isn’t afraid to go after what they want in life. The fixation on lust and the emphasis on control combine with great intensity. At times, it’s almost as if their energy gets ahead of them, which can cause problems. They often have a vision of the future, but they have their blind spots too. They can harness a tremendous amount of energy for change, but at the same time be unaware of the fallout they might encounter because of their sometimes excessive self-assertion.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See, this is what makes it difficult, cuz I definitely do not fit in with the 8w7s
The contrary would be surprising, from an INTJ.:D

, but the 8w9 seems like a realistic possibility.

Speedy, do you happen to know what MBTI types James Brown and MLK are generally considered to be?

James Brown is the most often typed as ESFP, sometimes ENTJ and Martin Luther King the most often typed as an ENFJ, sometimes INFJ.

Btw, speedy, did you recently change yourself from a 6w5 to a 6w7?

Yeah, I'm quite balanced between differents variants off Sexual 6, I'm unsure wich one is mine. Depends of my mood.
Also, I saw you write this in another thread:

@bolded: odd you say that, because I'm generally considered to have had one of the most stable a secure childhoods of anybody I know... but I guess there was some uncertainty and insecurity that could only be seen from within my family that might make this note apply a bit more to me than would generally be thought by an outsider looking in... :thinking:

Typically, 6s had problem with authority, in particular parental authority because they saw it as unpredictable. They learned from an early age to observe and scan behaviors of authorities in order to be prepared and to predict their actions. That behavior is named in Enneagram "projection", 6s overestimate the power of peoples because they actually project their own power on peoples, and so, renounce to their power, feel they are weak and must survive in a world stronger than them. 6s can be dependent from authorities, or, because they resent that built dependance, be rebel.

So, their orientation is different from the 5's, who is focused on his own power of reasoning and to be knowledagable and independent. 5 and 6 are on the Head Center, wich is used to live an efficient, independant and free lifestyle but also to feel fear, anxiety and a need to be prepared. 5s have the head center oriented externally and fear the external world and withdrawn from it, focused on their own power of reasoning and dissociated from their emotions, while 6s fear the world because with the head center oriented internally and externally, they are disconnected on their mental power and project it on peoples, so they are not "withdrawing" in the typical sense, but compliant.

The 6's orientation is also radically differant from the 8's orientation. 6s project their power on others, but 8s project their weakness on others. Their compulsion is "deny", they deny their weakness, they are focused on their strength and consider other peoples as weaks who must be protected by their right justice. They seek confrontation with peoples and like when they are able to compete with him. 6s are fearful and must be connected with their virtue of courage to deal with the world. 8 have a deep feeling of vulnerablility also, but they deny it compulsively. Couterphobic 6 are agressive because they overestimate peoples, 8s because their compulsion is to deny their weakness and consider others peoples as weaks who need their protection. They don't really consider them "courageous" because they deny their weakness so much-when 6s are focused on danger and their weakness-that they have naturally a large comfort zone.

Also, when 5s integrate, or are at their security point, they are able to "invade" the external world rather than fear to be invade by it. So they are connected to 8. The Sexual/Social 5 wing 6 is an especially assertive variety of 5 and the 6 wing increases the connection to 8 under security or integration. I think also it fits more with your MBTI type. Maybe it is your type? Here are some examples:

[youtube=1m_OXH7n0Rw]Leon Trotsky 5w6 Sx/So[/youtube]
[youtube=ez4rbj1AZGg]Howard Hugues 5w6 Sx/So[/youtube]
[youtube=vQdrcPYSG28]Stan Lee 5w6 Sx/So[/youtube]
[youtube=dplb8D3Rhdw]Mystery 5w6 Sx/So[/youtube]

Here are some videos about differents types:
[youtube=fDFsq-KnzkQ]Enneagram Type 5[/youtube]
[youtube=nUuzAkKxIEY]Enneagram Type 6[/youtube]
[youtube=QmH4YdYJzCI]Enneagram Type 8[/youtube]

[youtube=OKHAxnM3wuM]Enneagram Type 5[/youtube]
[youtube=WqXjvs4APuI]Enneagram Type 6[/youtube]
[youtube=VL4b4Z0_igo]Enneagram Type 8[/youtube]

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Why not fork over a few bucks and take the longer test here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/Tests_Battery.asp#RHETI

Perhaps that will provide the clarification you seek.

Yes, that one's better. I took it at PeaceBaby's recommendation several months ago. It's worth the $10 or whatever it was.

Ok, just took the 38 question sample test (http://www.9types.com/rheti/index.php) that is a shorter version of the test you guys recommended, but I didn't really like it.

Honestly, the forced choice method was horrible; I've never taken a test where such a high percentage of the time I could say yes to either option.

Anyway, here were my results:

RHETI Enneagram Type Indicator Results

Your highest score will indicate you basic type, or it will be among the top 2-3 scores. You answered 36 questions out of 38. For best results, you should answer all the questions that apply.
Type 1 - 7
Type 2 - 1
Type 3 - 5
Type 4 - 4
Type 5 - 6
Type 6 - 4
Type 7 - 2
Type 8 - 4
Type 9 - 1

This would seem to add the possibility that I'm an enneagram 1 or an enneagram 5, on top of the possibilities we've already mentioned that I'm a 6w5 or an 8w9.

Honestly, I'm starting to think that the enneagram just isn't as good as MBTI/typology...

Why would just one of these "traits" be the central trait to our lives, as opposed to all of these traits potentially being significant traits, to varying degrees, in our lives?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Wow, took their new test from that same site, which I actually liked a lot more, as it wasn't just either/or but was on a 5-point sliding scale, and the results came out even more ambiguous:

Enneagram Personality Type Indicator Results

Your highest score will indicate you basic type, or it will be among the top 2-3 scores. Low scores in some type might come out negative. That's perfectly normal.
For best results, you should answer all the questions that apply.

Type 1 - 4
Type 2 - 1
Type 3 - (5)
Type 4 - 5
Type 5 - 3
Type 6 - (3)
Type 7 - 1
Type 8 - (4)
Type 9 - (2)

If the number is in (parentheses) it's because it was negative.

Went back and changed two of my answers slightly (as I'd planned to do), to see how it would affect my scores:

Type 1 - 5
Type 2 - 1
Type 3 - (5)
Type 4 - 5
Type 5 - 4
Type 6 - (3)
Type 7 - 1
Type 8 - (5)
Type 9 - (3)

http://www.9types.com/newtest/

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Believe me: stop to take tests: it is useless if you don't really understand the model. An enneatype can't be summarized just with one trait. Actually, the theory is that we lost one essential quality when we grew up in the world, and so we built our personality to replaced that quality. That "aquired personality" is our fake self, with a mental fixation and a passion associated, while when we can overcome our personality, we are connected with our essence with an holy idea and a virtue associated. For example, the lost essential quality of the 6 is faith, faith in peoples, in life, in authority. The mental fixation (or "vice") is cowardice, the passion is fear/doubt, and in the essence, the holy idea (wich is actually, the lost essential quality) is faith, the virtue is courage. Some peoples are more in their personality, some others more in thier essence, you can be yourself one of the two, or a mix of both.

I recomend you the Helen Palmer's book for the description of the 9 types, and to read it entirely, including the introduction. You can also read some others books or online ressources for more precision. But Enneagram is not about to use categories to class your behaviors, like MBTI, so, your enneatype is not findable just with a test. You need serious study, and a various level of introspection. Some peoples identify their type quickly, some others don't. But you need to read the 9 descriptions. It is usually advised to read them like that: 3-6-9 then 1-7-5-8-2-4, in that order, to see the integration/disintegration process and understand better the differences between the diferents types. I think it is a good idea.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, just took the 38 question sample test (http://www.9types.com/rheti/index.php) that is a shorter version of the test you guys recommended, but I didn't really like it.

Honestly, the forced choice method was horrible; I've never taken a test where such a high percentage of the time I could say yes to either option.

I took the long test and thought it was fine. Not sure why it was bad for you but I've felt that way before with other tests so I understand what you mean. I think Jennifer once said there are people enneagram doesn't really seem to work for. I've found it to be of value though.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Believe me: stop to take tests: it is useless if you don't really understand the model. An enneatype can't be summarized just with one trait. Actually, the theory is that we lost one essential quality when we grew up in the world, and so we built our personality to replaced that quality. That "aquired personality" is our fake self, with a mental fixation and a passion associated, while when we can overcome our personality, we are connected with our essence with an holy idea and a virtue associated. For example, the lost essential quality of the 6 is faith, faith in peoples, in life, in authority. The mental fixation (or "vice") is cowardice, the passion is fear/doubt, and in the essence, the holy idea (wich is actually, the lost essential quality) is faith, the virtue is courage. Some peoples are more in their personality, some others more in thier essence, you can be yourself one of the two, or a mix of both.

I recomend you the Helen Palmer's book for the description of the 9 types, and to read it entirely, including the introduction. You can also read some others books or online ressources for more precision. But Enneagram is not about to use categories to class your behaviors, like MBTI, so, your enneatype is not findable just with a test. You need serious study, and a various level of introspection. Some peoples identify their type quickly, some others don't. But you need to read the 9 descriptions. It is usually advised to read them like that: 3-6-9 then 1-7-5-8-2-4, in that order, to see the integration/disintegration process and understand better the differences between the diferents types. I think it is a good idea.

Cool.

Thanks for the advice.

I liked your quick summary of the underlying theory, which I have somewhat acquainted myself to.

A question: doesn't it seem a bit odd that each of us would lose exactly one "essential" quality? Seems a little new age, mumbo jumbo to me...

I took the long test and thought it was fine. Not sure why it was bad for you but I've felt that way before with other tests so I understand what you mean. I think Jennifer once said there are people enneagram doesn't really seem to work for. I've found it to be of value though.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder whether it might just not work for me...

My MBTI type fits me extremely well, but I've read about five of my most likely enneagram profiles, and none of them seems to quite hit the nail on the head...

My girlfriend agrees, too; like me, she thinks that a number of the profiles seem to fit to a certain degree, but none of them to all too strong of a degree...

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Actually, the theory is that we lost one essential quality when we grew up in the world, and so we built our personality to replaced that quality.

just a few thought starters for your likely types,
i forgot where i read this.

• lost sight of: we are all one and are perfect as we are
  • believes instead: ppl are not accepted for who they are--good behavior is expected and taken for granted. bad behavior and impulses are judged negatively and punished
  • adaptive strategy: gain love and self regard by being good, meeting high internal standards. surpress anger and developed tension and resentment

• lost sight of: there's an ample supply of all the knowledge and energy everyone need
  • believes instead: world demands too much from ppl / gives them too little - potential leaving depleted
  • adaptive strategy: protect self from intrusive demands and being drained of own resources by becoming self sufficient and private -- limiting desires and wants by accumulating knowledge.
  • develop a sense of avarice--only for things they can't do without

• lost sight of: faith in ourselves, others
  • believes: world is unpredictable and hazardous, can't trust one another
  • adaptive strategy - doubting, vigilant, questioning,
    --counter phobic : defy authority to avoid percieved threats and hazards
    --phobic: obey authority to avoid percieved threats and hazards

• lost sight of: everyone begins with innocence--everyone can sense truth
  • believes instead: hard injustice world--powerful takes advantage of others, must be resisted.
  • adaptive strategy: learned to become strong and powerful by imposing own truth and hiding
  • vulnerability in order to protect self and gain respect, developed a forceful, lustful energy and rely on own instincts