• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INxP

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I am either an INTP or an INFP.

I would like to be the subject of analysis.

I'm only sensitive when I want to be.. I'm not sensitive to criticisms of my ideas.. but I have a great capacity for love and affection.

I think it is very possible that I am an INFP with a developed Te, but I often catch myself using Fe, or simply being frank and tactless when I detect another is threatening my autonomy or boring me with endless chatter or invading my personal bubble.

It is not that I doubt I am an INFP. It is that I test INTP, and I identify with INTP.. My dad is an INTP, so is my grandfather, and we have pretty much no emotional connection, but we are extremely close because we appreciate the same things. My dad and grandfather aren't even nice people.. not at all, but I so very much value their intelligence that it doesn't matter.

I don't walk on eggshells, and I don't expect others to walk on eggshells with me. I have always been one to challenge the claims of people I am around, and I can detach and understand both sides of an argument.

I have always held competence to a high regard, whether or not I "like" the person. My feelings toward the person are often irrelevant and not even conscious. I value justice over mercy. I have never been a merciful person.. but I feel a connection with people that makes me think I could be an INFP. I am moved by movies and music... but I have little sympathy. I am just not a sympathetic person.. I don't understand it. Whenever someone comes to me with their problems, I always approach the situation frankly.. because I see it as an opportunity for them to understand a little more about life or themself.
I often disregard the feelings of others if they begin to suffocate me and try to get too close, and I'll have no remorse about it..

Would an INFP do this?

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
There can be no analysis without data.

Unless you want people to check the post history of your forum accounts, of course.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You play more as INFP right now... but more data points, please. :)

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Hmmm... is it that you doubt you are F, or think you are T?
If it is the former, coupled with the above post, could point to a likelihood of INFP. If the latter, could you tell us about what you're relating to where INTPs and/or INTP descriptions are concerned?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
For what it's worth the hobbies you listed in your profile seem more SP than NF or NT.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
For what it's worth the hobbies you listed in your profile seem more SP than NF or NT.

When you are filling out your profile, it offers "hobbies", not interests, so I only listed what I enjoy doing.

Psychology is a huge interest of mine. My research sucks up the greatest portion of my time.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm assuming by your avatar that you are male.
I have an INFP sister, but I get the strong impression that the type-behavior from one sex doesn't translate well over to the other sex.

My sister lets people walk all over her, though, to answer your question.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
the quote function isn't working

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
So you are saying that you don't think I'm an INFP because I don't let people walk all over me?

I know INFPs that don't let people walk all over them. Heart, for one of many.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So you are saying that you don't think I'm an INFP because I don't let people walk all over me?

I'm saying that what I know about INFPs probably doesn't apply to you.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I too was wondering about the quote function. It appears you deleted your lengthier post -- why?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
When you are filling out your profile, it offers "hobbies", not interests, so I only listed what I enjoy doing.

Psychology is a huge interest of mine. My research sucks up the greatest portion of my time.

Interesting answer. The fact that you discerned the difference between hobbies and interest might indicate that you are an INTP because allegedly INTPs are careful with grammar and wording. On the other hand I assumed hobbies and interests were bascially one in the same.

"Precise about their descriptions, INTPs will often correct others (or be sorely tempted to) if the shade of meaning is a bit off. While annoying to the less concise, this fine discrimination ability gives INTPs so inclined a natural advantage as, for example, grammarians and linguists. "
- INTP Profile

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It is not that I doubt I am an INFP. It is that I test INTP, and I identify with INTP...

I don't walk on eggshells, and I don't expect others to walk on eggshells with me. I have always been one to challenge the claims of people I am around, and I can detach and understand both sides of an argument.

I have always held competence to a high regard, whether or not I "like" the person. My feelings toward the person are often irrelevant and not even conscious. I value justice over mercy. I have never been a merciful person.. but I feel a connection with people that makes me think I could be an INFP. I am moved by movies and music... but I have little sympathy. I am just not a sympathetic person.. I don't understand it. Whenever someone comes to me with their problems, I always approach the situation frankly.. because I see it as an opportunity for them to understand a little more about life or themself.

Hi Dana,

You've expressed yourself very well. I especially relate to the bolded part in terms of the way my INTP husband is in this regard: he's kind but not in the least sympathetic. He's a problem solver who doesn't spend time on how bad something feels; instead he explains why things are the way they are and/or offers a suggestion about how to change or accept them.

He's not challenging, but he is a Devil's Advocate, seeing things from both sides easily. It's my experience that INTPs value competence and appreciate a logical point of view whether or not they like the person, even if that person is arrogant or obnoxious.

Jae Rae

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Nadir, I consolidated my "data" into the first post to make it easier for people to read.

INTJMom, I'm female, so it probably does.

Well I'm beginning to truly believe I am an INTP. I have always believed myself to be one until an acquaintance of mine convinced me I was an INFP. If someone has some evidence that sticks out to support the INFP theory.. now would be the time to jump in, because I'm committing.

Thanks JustDave and Jae Rae for your insightful contributions.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Ah, it seems I was briefly lost in the tempest of copious post-editing.

heart

heart on fire
Nadir, I consolidated my "data" into the first post to make it easier for people to read.

INTJMom, I'm female, so it probably does.

Well I'm beginning to truly believe I am an INTP. I have always believed myself to be one until an acquaintance of mine convinced me I was an INFP. If someone has some evidence that sticks out to support the INFP theory.. now would be the time to jump in, because I'm committing.

Thanks JustDave and Jae Rae for your insightful contributions.

What do you read for pleasure?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Nonfiction....

Rarely, very rarely, I will read fiction.. Rebecca, or Ender's Game, for example.

heart

heart on fire

Well, this didn't start until around my mid 30s really. It is like I am compelled to do it and I am compelled to argue about things that seem important to me at times and it is as if I am at war inside myself over it. It always creates a feeling of unpleasantness inside me when I create disharmony around me, but I feel I must be true to what is inside me as well. It is a conflicted situation at present. I am extremely sensitive to other people's emotions.

I think maybe you need the input of female INTP here to compare to.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I am strongly compelled toward self-preservation, and for me Self Pres and creating harmony tend to be mutually exclusive, because someone is crossing a territory of mine (expecting my time, company, emotions). It rears it's ugly head when someone of the opposite sex wants me to invest my time and emotions in them without my signaling of interest.. and I feel threatened or challenged. S types are the ones that cross that line.

It never happens between me and other females. I am very kind to them because I feel a sense of comraderie.

heart

heart on fire
I am strongly compelled toward self-preservation, and for me Self Pres and creating harmony tend to be mutually exclusive, because someone is crossing a territory of mine (expecting my time, company, emotions). It rears it's ugly head when someone of the opposite sex wants me to invest my time and emotions in them without my signaling of interest.. and I feel threatened or challenged. S types are the ones that cross that line.

It never happens between me and other females. I am very kind to them because I feel a sense of comraderie.

I am strong self preservation and strong initmacy, so this is why the inner conflict for me. The two needs are often warring because as you say it is hard to keep harmony with others in this world and to preserve self as well. When I was younger I compenstated for this by being extremely withdrawn and keeping my inner self protected. I was very cold on the outside and warm on the inside.