• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTJ???

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Im so confused right now. I have thought I was an ENTP, and I was pretty much positive of it but i have been looking into it and I think Im an INTJ. Im cerebrally equal so I flip between right and left brain all the time. I have a tendency to make strategies in a step by step manner just like an INTJ but at the same time im very social and hardly miss a chance to do something social. At the same time I am a total introvert around my family mainly because they are all sensors and wont understand me very well. Anyone have any ideas on this? Could I just be an INTJ who masks as an ENTP? Usually when im in a new environment i think about how I can adapt to a situation to end up on top. I dont have a real deep understanding of cognitive functions so this makes it harder for me. Do any of you know any external evidence i could definitely tell whether i am one or the other? This seems like a weird pair of types to be confused on.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you checked out www.bestfittype.com ? There are some very good type descriptions on there.

Also- INTJs are chart the course, ENTPs are get things going-

Chart the Course-

The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this stylefocus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.

As it manifests in an INTJ-

Maximizing achievements. Drive for self-mastery. Build a vision. Very long-range strategizing. Realizing progress toward goals. Systems thinking. Talent for seeing the reasons behind things. Being on the leading edge. Maintaining independence. Find it difficult to let go in interacting with others.

Get things going-

The theme is persuading and involving others. They thrive in facilitator or catalyst roles and aim to inspire others to move to action, facilitating the process. Their focus is on interaction, often with an expressive style. They Get-Things-Goingâ„¢ with upbeat energy, enthusiasm, or excitement, which can be contagious. Exploring options and possibilities, making preparations, discovering new ideas, and sharing insights are all ways they get people moving along. They want decisions to be participative and enthusiastic, with everyone involved and engaged.

As it manifests in ENTP-

Being inventive. Talented at building prototypes and getting projects launched. Lifelong learning. Enjoy the creative process. Share their insights about life’s possibilities. Strategically formulate success. An inviting host. Like the drama of the give and take. Trying to be diplomatic. Surprised when their strategizing of relationships becomes problematic.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
R

ReflecTcelfeR

Thanks, Black Cat, for posting that, this is very helpful in my aim if not Idontcare's.

elehci

MBTI Type
intj
Actually, I'm sort of curious too.

@Idontcare have you tried taking any function tests? They might help.

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Thanks for the help. I have concluded I am (still) an ENTP. After reading into functions is seems that I use both Ni and Ne quite a lot (which is why I was having this problem) with maybe a bit of dominance toward Ne.

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
What is odd is that I seem to agree with both roles on the best fit type website. I actually agree with the INTJ role more.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
This seems like a weird pair of types to be confused on.

Not a weird pair of types to be confused on at all, actually.

By the way I use the term, ENTPs and INTJs are actually eachother's "shadow" types.

I'm definitely an INTJ, but there are times when I seem to either flip into ENTP "shadow" mode (Ne+Ti), or I'm just downshifting completely into my auxiliary loop (Te+Se), which makes me like an ENTJ.

I still haven't figured out which it is, but what basically happens is that, either when I'm out partying really hard for an extended amount of time, or when I'm working extremely long hours, pulling all-nighters and stuff, I'll shift into this extremely outgoing, extroverted mode, in order to keep my energy level up. This, despite the fact that I'm an introvert.

It really could be Ne+Ti or Te+Se: I'm really not in a sober enough state of mind at the time, nor do I have enough experience in these states, to know which it is...

Don't believe all the bullshit about you only using 4 functions and the other 4 being "inactive" yada yada yada... it's not proven, and it's based on very shaky premises.

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Don't believe all the bullshit about you only using 4 functions and the other 4 being "inactive" yada yada yada... it's not proven, and it's based on very shaky premises.

Pretty much what I had figured from the beginning, I have never heard any firm evidence for the theory. I mean we call them preferences but yet we say the other four are somehow inactive or subconscious, just doesnt seem feasible.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Pretty much what I had figured from the beginning, I have never heard any firm evidence for the theory.

Exactly.

And the attempted explanations all seem rather contrived, if you ask me.

I mean, one can even cast doubt on the functions themselves, although I do think they stand up reasonably well.

Whether they're actually neurologically-based or not... :shrug:... but people definitely seem to identify with them, and talk about the same sorts of things going on in their heads, so...

I mean we call them preferences but yet we say the other four are somehow inactive or subconscious, just doesnt seem feasible.

If you look at most peoples' functional preference tests, they tend to show something along the lines of the first two theoretically predicted functions for their type.

And when it really comes down to it, that's all you need for 16 types: the first two functions, one perceiving and on judging, one introverted and one extroverted.

After that, well, I think it gets a bit more complicated than the dominant paradigm seems to give credit...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The overall tone of the OP is ENTP.