• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asking for guidance on type

Katharsis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have not yet fully grasped how all of the functions operate and manifests, so if you could ask me questions and offer me some expertise to make me a little bit more illuminated, it would be much appreciated.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hi!

well, what was your last "normal" day like?

i think it is useful to look at yourself on an overall basis... and writing things out can illuminate your decision process and how you tend to operate. in general Is will be more drawn to contemplation and Es to action (not necessarily contemplating or acting, just contemplation and action); Ns to theorizing and Ss to attending to hands-on life; Fs to people issues and Ts to conceptual issues.

i leave out J and P because they are usually fairly easy to tell, and are just an indicator of whether you prefer to make decisions in the external world (J) or the internal world (P). the functions get more specific, of course. the cognitiveprocesses.com website is very helpful in explaining the functions, though recently google seems to think it has a virus.

i have a lingering suspicion that you are an INT, though that could be very off :)

Katharsis

MBTI Type
INTJ
INT you say? Considering that I have not yet shared any real personal information, is that your intuition speaking? But I do think my type might lie somewhere in that area, I wouldn't say you are completely off.

When I look at the way you described the differences of the letters, all I can say is that I'm probably an N. I am an originator of ideas and when working in groups I am the one people turn to when trying to figure out how to proceed. I usually already know how I want results to look like, and how I am going to get there. I have no trouble taking charge of the team, and I will if I feel that the project is going nowhere. However, individual assignments are preferable since I have issues with trusting the people I work with to do things right. I make no demands on others except in work situations. When people get to dependent on me to come up with the idea or give them constant direction I tend to respond with withdrawal and losing interest. Independence and originality I consider extremly important, for myself but also in others.

I can be talkative and social, I am confident and have no trouble approaching anyone. But at the end of the day I long for solitude. Sometimes, even in the middle of conversation, it is like one of my flips are switched and suddenly all the socializing and people are overwhelming and I just wish to be somewhere else. I suspect I'm more of an introvert, but not socially awkward like many introverts describe themselves as. Also having people around tend to be blocking my ability to do "deep thinking", wich I do alot when I'm alone.

I see myself as both rational and emotional. I always rely on logic in my reasoning, arguments and decision making. I'm not easily intimated or particularly sensitive, but like I said, I'm an emotional one. Emotional but not emotionally expressive except for anger or rage, prone to outbursts since I'm impatient and speak my mind if I feel there is something wrong. But as much as I am in touch with my own feelings, I don't resonate well with others'. If I hear someone tell me about their problems wich caused them great pain I can do nothing more but to offer advice. I'm empathic but not sympathic and absolutely not a consoler. The exception is if it is someone I share a certain bond with and deeply care for, like a partner or a family member.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INT you say? Considering that I have not yet shared any real personal information, is that your intuition speaking? But I do think my type might lie somewhere in that area, I wouldn't say you are completely off.

When I look at the way you described the differences of the letters, all I can say is that I'm probably an N. I am an originator of ideas and when working in groups I am the one people turn to when trying to figure out how to proceed. I usually already know how I want results to look like, and how I am going to get there. I have no trouble taking charge of the team, and I will if I feel that the project is going nowhere. However, individual assignments are preferable since I have issues with trusting the people I work with to do things right. I make no demands on others except in work situations. When people get to dependent on me to come up with the idea or give them constant direction I tend to respond with withdrawal and losing interest. Independence and originality I consider extremly important, for myself but also in others.

I can be talkative and social, I am confident and have no trouble approaching anyone. But at the end of the day I long for solitude. Sometimes, even in the middle of conversation, it is like one of my flips are switched and suddenly all the socializing and people are overwhelming and I just wish to be somewhere else. I suspect I'm more of an introvert, but not socially awkward like many introverts describe themselves as. Also having people around tend to be blocking my ability to do "deep thinking", wich I do alot when I'm alone.

I see myself as both rational and emotional. I always rely on logic in my reasoning, arguments and decision making. I'm not easily intimated or particularly sensitive, but like I said, I'm an emotional one. Emotional but not emotionally expressive except for anger or rage, prone to outbursts since I'm impatient and speak my mind if I feel there is something wrong. But as much as I am in touch with my own feelings, I don't resonate well with others'. If I hear someone tell me about their problems wich caused them great pain I can do nothing more but to offer advice. I'm empathic but not sympathic and absolutely not a consoler. The exception is if it is someone I share a certain bond with and deeply care for, like a partner or a family member.

So it sounds like you are definitely an introvert. (Not a socially awkward one, as you put it.) You seem like an N just by the way that you describe yourself. (In abstract terms.) Some stuff points to Te for me as well. But some other stuff points to some Fi... So I guess so far it looks like you're a well developed INTJ, but would need to know more.

Edit: Thinking a little more about originating ideas, knowing where you want to go, and finishing projects points a little more to Ni Te or Te Ni... You may be an INTJ or an ENTJ who is less focused on socializing and more focused on projects for your energy.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love guessing games. Ni something. INTJ or INFJ, leaning towards INTJ. Could be ENTJ or ENFJ.

based on:

1. Social Attitude. Notice the attitude surround the word "I". Overall pronunciation of "I" leads to Tertiary Fi.

2. N

3. Ni = "originator" + "already know how *I* want results to look like." + Tertiary Fi.

I have not yet fully grasped how all of the functions operate and manifests
You cannot do the reading yourself?

Katharsis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I love guessing games. Ni something. INTJ or INFJ, leaning towards INTJ. Could be ENTJ or ENFJ.

based on:

1. Social Attitude. Notice the attitude surround the word "I". Overall pronunciation of "I" leads to Tertiary Fi.

2. N

3. Ni = "originator" + "already know how *I* want results to look like." + Tertiary Fi.

You cannot do the reading yourself?

Well almost everyone seem to have different ideas of how the functions work and the descriptions of Ni and Ne in particular are usually very fuzzy. But I have been researching for the last few days and I feel like I have to agree with all of you, atleast on the INxJ part. INTJ most likely.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well almost everyone seem to have different ideas of how the functions work and the descriptions of Ni and Ne in particular are usually very fuzzy.

Yeah. Even I have my own ideas on the definition of functions but I think, for the most part, there are standards. The mpst common definitions, in my opionion, are inaccurate and vague but the idea is pretty much there. Extraverted Intuition, for example, is really just extraversion added with intuition.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

hehe, sweet. yeah, something about the way you phrased it sounded INT to me - now that i look at it, it seems INTJ to be specific... it was quick, clear, polite, slightly removed, and fairly eloquent given the short amount of words (which suggests J over P, Ps usually like to ramble a bit). not that i really thought about that at the time of course ;)

I am an originator of ideas and when working in groups I am the one people turn to when trying to figure out how to proceed. I usually already know how I want results to look like, and how I am going to get there. I have no trouble taking charge of the team, and I will if I feel that the project is going nowhere.

this sounds a LOT like Ni combined with an extroverted Judging (Te, Fe) function. you're right about people having a lot of different definitions of the functions, but to boil them down to one or two words Ne is more like "connections, possibilities", while Ni is more like "envisioning, foresight". it's much more of a Ni thing to see one good, clear path to where you want to go, while Ne conjures up about 500 different paths but is less clear about which ones are the good ones.

yeah, it's cool, you can be a socially suave introvert. i personally used to be - and still am to an extent - a socially uncomfortable extravert :D

it may help to understand that the attitudes of the functions (whether they are introverted or extraverted) applies to the functions themselves - in other words, extraverted Feeling is extraverted because it is Feeling applied to external people/objects/concepts. introverted Feeling applies to internal things - both internal to yourself and internal to someone or something else. introverted Perceiving functions (Ni, Si) look inwards at internal information, while extraverted Perceiving functions (Ne, Se) look outwards at internal information. introverted Judging functions (Fi, Ti) act inwardly to build and change one's own structure of thinking about things and assess information on the basis of what its internal significance is. extraverted Judging functions (Fe, Te) act outwardly to change one's environment and assess information on the basis of cause-and-effect between external things.

and then extraversion or introversion in terms of your 4-letter code depends only on what your first cognitive preference is - the attitude of your dominant function - and not whether you like huge parties or not, which so many internet tests like to go by, lol.

this sounds like Fi more than Fe, which also corresponds with INTJ, but you may want to check out that type's profiles and then the surrounding types (INTP, INFJ, ENTJ, ENTP) and see what you think.

i know what you mean about not wanting to type yourself, though. it's hard to escape your own paradigm... i didn't know i was an E, not an I, until about 10 people on these threads poured into my "Type Me" thread saying they seriously doubted i was an introvert. upon learning the functions, i discovered that they were very right. :yes:

more fun to make people guess anyway, lol

Katharsis

MBTI Type
INTJ
skylights said:
this sounds like Fi more than Fe, which also corresponds with INTJ, but you may want to check out that type's profiles and then the surrounding types (INTP, INFJ, ENTJ, ENTP) and see what you think.
Profiles can be deceiving. You read one and it is very flattering, it says that you are an "intelligent, original and social person", "charismatic leader" etc., and one who just took the test will most likely want to identify with all of these exceptional personality traits. You might even change parts of your personality, perhaps unconsciously, to fit with the profile, repressing your real self to become an archetype. Since I am an individualist (perhaps almost extremly so) I do not believe in lumping people together like this. Profiles can be used as guidelines but are in my opinion written in such a way that too many people can identify with it. And that is why my research is focused on the functions.

Perhaps they would be more useful if they instead described the types when unhealthy. I become obsessed with working out, indulging in food, cigarettes and sexual experiences to distract myself. This little piece of information, how Se emerges in unhealthy Ni dominant types has been far more useful than most profiles I've seen.

So I would like to settle for INTJ. Thanks everyone for making things a little clearer.