• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Verdict on My Type

What do you believe my type to be?

• Total voters

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I'm not trying to force either one of the options.
I just want the answer to this dilemma ASAP.
Also, couldn't this rigid determination to find out my type just be a manifestation of Ti? There have been several INTPs like this.

[Oui!] Maybe it's me but to say ASAP also seems very J to me. Even the acronym itself is sucinct and decisive.

Last edited:

MerkW

[Oui!] Maybe it's me but to say ASAP also seems very J to me. Even the acronym itself is sucinct and decisive.

Possibly, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I have been uncertain of my type for nearly one year now, and it is really starting to get on my nerves.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm. One thing that might disrupt the J/P dichotomy for me is the fact that I have obsessive-compulsive disorder, which may possibly make me more J than I technically should be.

Oh. Yes, that would throw things off. It's just like Asperger's or autism, in the sense that those blur a few types together (usually a combination of ISTJ, INTJ, and INTP).

*I cannot use a toothbrush or eat food that was touched by someone. My mother once accidentally used my toothbrush, and I then had to throw it in the trash (this is a trait I have observed to be more present in INTPs than INTJs. It may be a total coincidence, though).

I don't know. I get a little grossed out but find work around's for it.

With the toothbrush, I'm grossed out but am too lazy to buy a new one, so I just clean it as thoroughly as possible and once my head "knows it's clean," I am okay.

With the food, I cut off the parts that other people's lips touched, and then I'm okay. I could never eat the same part they did. I'm iffy on drinking out of the same glass as someone; I will use a [new] straw.

*I count random things obsessively.

No, I don't do that. It sounds OCD.

*I like to create large lists, hierarchies, and categories, and I enjoy hoarding much information. For example, if I plan on staying at a hotel in a location I have never been to before, I will obsessively research the location and the hotel itself to find out everything I possibly can. I will commit subway maps to memory, I will keep track of the precise number of restaurants in a 2-mile radius, all sorted by a quality ranking system, etc. In other words, I like to do things in a rather systematic manner. I can't tell if this is the J in INTJ, the Ti in INTP, or simply OCD.

I don't know either. My INTJ boss loves trains and will do all the stuff you are doing, but despite it being extensive, I don't think with him it's obsessive -- he just loves it, but he could choose to not do it, if it would cause undue hardship or he needed to stop.

The Ti thing does lead me into similar behavior, but not as much detail just to "control" what I am studying, what I am looking for is just indicative detail from which I feel I can truly understand something. So I try to collect various 'types" of detail that truly represent the topic/item in questions... at which point I get bored and stop.

I am the kind of person who methodically calculates things. The kind of person who selects the the most efficient walking route to school based off complex mathematical equations.

Ha, I do that too -- not the "complex equations" but an overall assessment of which is best. (Basically an interpolation/rough guess.) Sometimes I don't bother to follow it, if I don't feel like it, but I can get annoyed if people proceed to take the inefficient route after it is quite clear that the efficient route is the best.

So the tendencies are there, but I think I can more easily flex, compared to your descriptions. I'm annoyed, but I don't lose sleep afterwards over it.

When i was younger, I was less flexible. The practicalities of living made me loosen my grip some.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Possibly, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I have been uncertain of my type for nearly one year now, and it is really starting to get on my nerves.

I can sympathize with that as I have been trying to determine my ture type for about three years or so. In fact that's one of the reasons I joined this forum. Up to yesterday (when I joined) I was convinced that I was either and INFJ or an INTJ. Now I'm thinking that I am neither an NF nor an NT.

MerkW

Oh. Yes, that would throw things off. It's just like Asperger's or autism, in the sense that those blur a few types together (usually a combination of ISTJ, INTJ, and INTP).

Asperger Syndrome seems to be most prevalent amongst INTPs, INTJs, INFJs, and occasionally ISTPs. Meanwhile, Autism is more of an ISxJ thing.

I believe Wildcat (it may have been someone else) summed this up nicely by stating something along this lines of true autists are between extreme sensing and borderline S/N, while those with Asperger's are from the S/N borderline up to extreme intuiting.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe Wildcat (it may have been someone else) summed this up nicely by stating something along this lines of true autists are between extreme sensing and borderline S/N, while those with Asperger's are from the S/N borderline up to extreme intuiting.

No, I think you are right, it was Wildcat, in the last few weeks.

MerkW

According to Lenore Thomson, I would clearly be an INTP. However, I am not entirely certain as to how accurate his theories are. Any opinions?

heart

heart on fire
According to Lenore Thomson, I would clearly be an INTP. However, I am not entirely certain as to how accurate his theories are. Any opinions?

P types want to keep options open.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I am in the same boat as everyone else. Despite my previous postings, trying to force a conclusion is so J. So my vote is for INTJ.
So you mean that P types don't care about their MBTI type, whereas J will invent one if they can't decide?

Kidding aside, wanting to decide on a function is only a tiny, miniscule part of what a person can do. So if someone is "decisive" over this thing, what does it tell us? Nothing.

MerkW

For reference:

On the cognitive processes test, INTP is always selection #1
On the humanmetrics test, INTJ is virtually always the result
And lastly, on the similarminds test, INTP and INTJ are equal in their influences.

My Oldham style tests as a cross between Solitary and Idiosyncratic.

My Big Five score is RLUEI.

My Socionics type is probably ILI-Ni, but it might be something else.

Lastly, my Ennegram type is definitley 5, yet the wings etc. are not entirely clear yet is one of the following four: 5w4 sp/sx, 5w4 sx/sp, 5w6 sx/sp, 5w6 sx/so.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
So you mean that P types don't care about their MBTI type, whereas J will invent one if they can't decide?

Kidding aside, wanting to decide on a function is only a tiny, miniscule part of what a person can do. So if someone is "decisive" over this thing, what does it tell us? Nothing.

Normally I would agree. However, from his postings Merk seems very forceful with a drive towards closure. Also, he seems dead set on INTJ or INTP and has shown little interest in entertaining different possibilities.

MerkW

Also, he seems dead set on INTJ or INTP and has shown little interest in entertaining different possibilities.

If you do take notice, there does exist an option declaring "other" on the poll. I am not entirely dismissing other types aside from INTJ and INTP, but I would find it rather unlikely, taking into consideration the fact that I consistently test as 100% I 100% N and 88% T. My Se and Fe are literally non-existent, my Si is not that great, and my Fi tests as average.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
If you do take notice, there does exist an option declaring "other" on the poll. I am not entirely dismissing other types aside from INTJ and INTP, but I would find it rather unlikely, taking into consideration the fact that I consistently test as 100% I 100% N and 88% T. My Se and Fe are literally non-existent, my Si is not that great, and my Fi tests as average.

According to all the tests I took I was either an INTJ or an INFJ. However, after posting on this forum I'm almost certain I am neither. My point is those tests are probably not very accurate.

Just a thought ...

MerkW

According to all the tests I took I was either an INTJ or an INFJ. However, after posting on this forum I'm almost certain I am neither. My point is those tests are probably not very accurate.

Just a thought ...

It's not just the tests. I couldn't care less about the tests. This is mainly personal self-assessment. The only reason I put those numbers and results up there was so that no one would go off on some nonsense rant about how self-reflection is unreliable, or something similar. So, no, it isn't only those tests, it is also approximately one year of self-reflection.
If you notice anything distinguishably non-INT, please feel free to point it out. I would be fascinated to hear.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
It's not just the tests. I couldn't care less about the tests. This is mainly personal self-assessment. The only reason I put those numbers and results up there was so that no one would go off on some nonsense rant about how self-reflection is unreliable, or something similar. So, no, it isn't only those tests, it is also approximately one year of self-reflection.
If you notice anything distinguishably non-INT, please feel free to point it out. I would be fascinated to hear.

You got it. Unfortunately that might require a lot of reading on my part so an answer might not be forthcoming:devil:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Normally I would agree. However, from his postings Merk seems very forceful with a drive towards closure. Also, he seems dead set on INTJ or INTP and has shown little interest in entertaining different possibilities.
Ok, you have probably paid more attention to that than I.

Good luck for merkw's type hunting :)

MerkW

I'm interested to hear the respective reasons of mippus and falcarius, since both voted in the poll, yet have not yet explained their hypotheses.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ok, you have probably paid more attention to that than I.

Good luck for merkw's type hunting :)

Possibly, who knows? :)

Merk,

Don't shoot me, i'm only trying to help ...

You have been very candid about your behavior any chance you are an Extrovert not an Introvert?