• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INTJ

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Admit it! You just want another INFJ to add to your list. :yes:

Oh shush, you. :D I wanted to test his reaction to that statement. You can't ask someone direct what they are, you'd only get what they think they are. You've to observe how they react to things.

:D

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Errr, I definitely have to disagree.
Thinking is the greatest source of objectivity.
N and S are split. There are actually ways that S is more objective than N, mainly in that S does not interpret.

Extraverted processes are objective introverted processes are subjective.

Think of sensing: You SEEEEE a keyboard in front of you...
as opposed to highly varying (Siiiii) eyewitness accounts of a crime.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extraverted processes are objective introverted processes are subjective.

Think of sensing: You SEEEEE a keyboard in front of you...
as opposed to highly varying (Siiiii) eyewitness accounts of a crime.

And yet, almost nothing about Extraverted people seems more objective.
Introversion is self-derived, but also allows for greater seperation from bias inducing influences, no?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is the absolute easiest way I've found for distinguishing between male INTJs and INFJs.

Which system sounds most ideal?

System A, which gets great results but only a few get to enjoy the benefits of the results.

System B, which gets poor results but everybody gets to enjoy the benefits of the results.

Neither really seems ideal, honestly. But if I had to choose, I would be strongly tempted by System A if I were one of the few who got to enjoy the benefits... and even more so if my closest friends were also part of the few. But I would feel guilty if I had to see the people who weren't getting the benefits on a regular basis. If they were people I didn't see or talk to, I wouldn't mind using System A. If I had to look at or otherwise face them, System B.

For what it's worth, in my early 20's I would test as INTJ, and back then thought I was one. But it has become *quite* apparent to me, especially after interacting on this board, that I'm far from an INTJ!! hahaha.:) I think I fall pretty solidly in the NF camp, just based on a whole lot of other things.

I do agree that it's very easy to get confused. I've been into computers so long that I seem somewhat knowledgeable even to people whose jobs are in computing.

Oh shush, you. :D I wanted to test his reaction to that statement. You can't ask someone direct what they are, you'd only get what they think they are. You've to observe how they react to things.

I definitely agree with that. If you really just ask them, you won't learn about anything except what they think they already know.

Sorry I was so late to this thread, JustDave. But I didn't even log in until the conversation had progressed too far for me to give any really valid advice that hasn't been given. (I'm getting too slow for this forum, sigh.)

Anyway, your struggle in deciding leads me to guess INFJ. You're a little different from me, but then we're all kind of different from one another.

redacted

just found this quote: "truth alwasys wins over tact"

oops. must not be Fe then. INFP?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
*lol*. If he continues multiple guessing himself this way and starts purring, we'll know we have another INFP for sure then.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
OK. You are an _NFP. I suspect INFP. For further reference, there's the site INFJ or INFP? a closer look.
I say INFP because your Ne givaway has a certian "teach-ness" about it that sounds like a good parent (second function).
I know you say (and even emphasize) that you can logically construct/deconstruct things. By the way, deconstruct sounds more like Te. In fact, I'm not suprised anymore that you got a score for introverted thinking. This test is getting to be well known to give you the result of the process most different from what you do (except that they're both introverted judgement) (Linda Berens wrote an article about differentiating between extraverted sensing and extraverted intuition, I know that MANY improvisers mis-type as extraverted intuition types with that test. With that in mind, the test making this type of mistake again wouldn't suprise me at all)

I have read through the material on that website in the past. And with the exception of my preference for informing instead of directing I seem to better fit the INFJ type.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
just found this quote: "truth alwasys wins over tact"

oops. must not be Fe then. INFP?

Absolutely. But that could be a product of my environment as most of my family and friends are very blunt.

Something that might be helpful just occured to me. I hate overly emmotional people with a passion. Especially if said people are whining about how they've been victimized but refuse to take action.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have read through the material on that website in the past. And with the exception of my preference for informing instead of directing I seem to better fit the INFJ type.

OH no you don't. An acknowledged preference for informing (in this culture, and what you've said about your upbringing) is not an exception.
Now you can read about interaction styles. (It's important here NOT to get caught up in societal bias here. Many behind-the-scenes types are unnessicarily ashamed of thier interaction style, and behind-the-scenes is the least appreciated interaction style.
I also think your Ne-ish comment was not an accident at all.
So I'd like to here why you want to be an INFJ. Because I KNOW (KNOW!) that right now there is some feeling-decision going on in identifying as INFJ, that you've probably tacked a long-held value on to that type or something.
Because if you were to truly look at the evidence without bias (other posts here don't count as evidence. No offense guys, but all the other 'reasons' that this person is INFJ were wrong, backwards, or made-up. I'll get into that more if I have to)

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Absolutely. But that could be a product of my environment as most of my family and friends are very blunt.

Something that might be helpful just occured to me. I hate overly emmotional people with a passion. Especially if said people are whining about how they've been victimized but refuse to take action.

honestly, that sounds like you trying to kill your opposing personality, Fe.

A hard-to-live-up-to aspirational Te even shows up. No one should be openly emotional.
Seriously though, what do you do with your feelings?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
OH no you don't. An acknowledged preference for informing (in this culture, and what you've said about your upbringing) is not an exception.
Now you can read about interaction styles. (It's important here NOT to get caught up in societal bias here. Many behind-the-scenes types are unnessicarily ashamed of thier interaction style, and behind-the-scenes is the least appreciated interaction style.
I also think your Ne-ish comment was not an accident at all.
So I'd like to here why you want to be an INFJ. Because I KNOW (KNOW!) that right now there is some feeling-decision going on in identifying as INFJ, that you've probably tacked a long-held value on to that type or something.
Because if you were to truly look at the evidence without bias (other posts here don't count as evidence. No offense guys, but all the other 'reasons' that this person is INFJ were wrong, backwards, or made-up. I'll get into that more if I have to)

Actually if I had my choice I would be an ESTP. I'm not a big fan of whiny activists.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Well at this point I am more confused than ever before. And despite all the test scores, insight, etc. I'm starting to think I am not an NF or NT but rather an SP searching for depth. Is that possible?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

A hard-to-live-up-to aspirational Te even shows up. No one should be openly emotional.

You've been very passive-aggressive and accusatory about much of this, Gabe. I don't understand that.

But by aspirational Te, are you saying he's an INFP? I could believe that... but I honestly am having trouble seeing a real pattern in his behavior. Then again, sometimes I have that problem with xNxP's, so...

Hmm. I'm unsure.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well at this point I am more confused than ever before. And despite all the test scores, insight, etc. I'm starting to think I am not an NF or NT but rather an SP searching for depth. Is that possible?

lol, probably not. You've said that you 'notice' and 'remember' everything. Is this a brief, sort of book-mark memory, or do you remember things viscerally an sequentially?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
You've been very passive-aggressive and accusatory about much of this, Gabe. I don't understand that.

But by aspirational Te, are you saying he's an INFP? I could believe that... but I honestly am having trouble seeing a real pattern in his behavior. Then again, sometimes I have that problem with xNxP's, so...

Hmm. I'm unsure.

I'm not accusing, I'm trying to get someone to make an educated decision about thier type for once.

I was also saying that I believe he's an INFP.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP

Generally I do not dwell on feelings. And, discussing my feelings has never been an issue but I tend not to put too much weight into to them.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP

Hmm. I'm unsure.

Athenian,

BTW, I didn't really mean my comment about whiny NF activists. I was just trying to use an absurdity to better illustrate my point.

Which is another thing that might help clarify my type. Although I do feel bad for many people and can be very confrontantional, more often than not I am a very mellow person. Most things roll right off my back.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
lol, probably not. You've said that you 'notice' and 'remember' everything. Is this a brief, sort of book-mark memory, or do you remember things viscerally an sequentially?

More visceral and sequential. I wouldn't say a book mark but rather the entire book.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
More visceral and sequential. I wouldn't say a book mark but rather the entire book.

Ok, so when you say 'think outside the box' (which I previously, possibly incorrectly thought was Ne) what do you mean by that?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
It seems to me that Gabe is over complicating this. Most of the people in this thread have agreed with the assessment that you are INFJ. Ultimately, the best way to tell is to engage people in this forum and see which ones click with your way of thinking.