• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or INTJ

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Every Online test I have ever taken has indicated that I am either an INFJ or an INTJ. To further confuse matters I can equally identify with most of the INTJ and INFJ profiles I have read.

I am 99% certain about my N and J preferences, about 60% certain about my I prefernce but completely split on T vs. F.

So, can anyone help me discern my type?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
One of my best friends is an INFJ male, and it is difficult to tell the differences between us on many aspects. He is equally as ruthless as me and has a grasp of the big picture. The main difference, I think, would be that he is more idealistic than me. I will tend to focus on tangible, real-world outcomes (even if they are far fetched), while he will focus on the meaning of such a goal. We joke a lot about me being the Architect and him being the Propaganda Minister. He's loyal to a fault, but if I were about to go slay 100 kittens or something, he would stop me.

Was your life relatively in order when you were more INTJish? If not, I could see some kind of repression making you appear to be an INTJ.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Lenore Thomson makes a great distinction in her book, by saying that two NJ navel officers on a ship going down would come to the same results. The difference is the INFJ would be concerned about the crew's safety and the INTJ, the ship. I think the Tiegers make a similar distinction in hearing of an automobile accident. Two INJ parents receive a call from their child that they have been in an accident. The INFJ would be concerned about the child, however the INTJ would be concerned about the automobile (rationalizing that since the child is calling and they sound okay, the next concern would be the vehicle). Another comparison would be the INFJ having more concern for a terminally ill person, and the INTJ making sure that doctor's are getting it right and assuring that all hospital paperwork is in order.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
One of my best friends is an INFJ male, and it is difficult to tell the differences between us on many aspects. He is equally as ruthless as me and has a grasp of the big picture. The main difference, I think, would be that he is more idealistic than me. I will tend to focus on tangible, real-world outcomes (even if they are far fetched), while he will focus on the meaning of such a goal. We joke a lot about me being the Architect and him being the Propaganda Minister. He's loyal to a fault, but if I were about to go slay 100 kittens or something, he would stop me.

Was your life relatively in order when you were more INTJish? If not, I could see some kind of repression making you appear to be an INTJ.

Minor tragedies aside, my life has always been in order. Since a relatively young age (~10) I have always known what I wanted to do with my life. And, thus far have not strayed too far from that course.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Lenore Thomson makes a great distinction in her book, by saying that two NJ navel officers on a ship going down would come to the same results. The difference is the INFJ would be concerned about the crew's safety and the INTJ, the ship. I think the Tiegers make a similar distinction in hearing of an automobile accident. Two INJ parents receive a call from their child that they have been in an accident. The INFJ would be concerned about the child, however the INTJ would be concerned about the automobile (rationalizing that since the child is calling and they sound okay, the next concern would be the vehicle). Another comparison would be the INFJ having more concern for a terminally ill person, and the INTJ making sure that doctor's are getting it right and assuring that all hospital paperwork is in order.

Split again ...

I would certainly choose the crew over the ship. However, I constantly use the logic you described in the Child scenario.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I have a cat that looks exactly like your avatar. Does that help?:unsure:
:laugh: :laugh:

No, not really, but it's still funny :)

That was my way of checking whether you know about the functions or not ;) Just ask Athenian, she's always offering to help the newcomers with whatever they don't know yet :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Every Online test I have ever taken has indicated that I am either an INFJ or an INTJ. To further confuse matters I can equally identify with most of the INTJ and INFJ profiles I have read.

I am 99% certain about my N and J preferences, about 60% certain about my I prefernce but completely split on T vs. F.

So, can anyone help me discern my type?

Can you offer up what runs through your mind in making a decision for us?

For example... What things have you tried in figuring out your MBTI type? What thoughts ran through your mind when you were trying to determine whether you're a INTJ or INFJ?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
And here you see the difference between INFJ and INTJ :laugh: The INFJ goes off talking fluff and theory (yes, both at the same time :devil:), while the INTJ actually gives a *useful* and *practical* tip.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Splittet and Wandering,

To further confuse things, I know about functions, and I have taken the cognitive assement at least 6 times at different times of the day (just to be certain) and almost always got Ti.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Splittet and Wandering,

To further confuse things, I know about functions, and I have taken the cognitive assement at least 6 times at different times of the day (just to be certain) and almost always got Ti.
Ti first :shock: ? Wow... What about Fe and Te, what do they rank?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Read BlueWing's INTJ Profile and get back to us. That should give you some insight/enough time to think. :D

but seriously...n/m

Last edited:

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Can you offer up what runs through your mind in making a decision for us?

For example... What things have you tried in figuring out your MBTI type? What thoughts ran through your mind when you were trying to determine whether you're a INTJ or INFJ?

Here goes.

I have taken numerous Online MBTI type tests. Given that the people which created the tests probably know more about type then I do I tend to trust the results I receive. These results have almost been a 50/50 split between INFJ and INTJ.

Logically I must be an INTJ as my hobbies (which I enjoy immensly) are all of a technical/scientific nature as is my job. Also, I tend to employ logic when making decisions.

Also, overall I have more of a T preference. For example I hate overly emmotional people, I'm not very emmotional and truth alwasys wins over tact.

That being said, I genuinely like people and tend to sympathize with most I meet. Also, I am very idealistic, and will often do things simply becuase it feels like the right thing to do.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Ti first :shock: ? Wow... What about Fe and Te, what do they rank?

I honestly don't remeber. However, Se and Si were very underutilized.

Which is problematic as I tend to notice and remeber everything ...

Me so confuzed ...

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
JustDave, couldn't you just post your results and let us have a look? More experienced eyes might notice something you haven't noticed. That test usually needs some interpretation.

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Read BlueWing's INTJ Profile and get back to us. That should give you some insight/enough time to think. :D

but seriously...n/m

Ahh this should be telling!

I was going to read his profile but it was way too lengthy.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think you need to explore the differences between Ti and Te. An INFJ can be highly logical if his tertiary Ti is well developed. For example I've often explore issues myself in a strictly detached manner. Look at possibilities on both sides in order to make a sound, logical decision.

It is difficult to determine type by hobbies... especially for males. Society reinforces too many conventions.

Edit: There's no point in looking at BlueWing's INTJ Profile... he was after Ni... Te was a mere side thought in the description.