• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ISFP? I'm confused

KDude

I understand. So if I'm not wrong, your point is every type is capable of doing/feeling everythings other can, just with less or more ease. No particular action or judgment is reserved for only one type and not other.

I'm wondering if there are any particular articles do you find most helpful for your decision?

Also, after taking many people's posts into consideration, I decided that I'm an ISFP. This post really speaks to me:

My coldness usually results from me being unable to express my sympathy or my lack of offers to help. I feel deeply for someone and empathize with that person strongly, but I feel uncomfortable expressing to that person how I feel. I feel connected to an acquaintance once and offer my empathy to him, hearing his talk his difficulty connecting with strangers. He probably did not want it because he never responded back. From then on, it's hard for me showing sympathy to people, out of the fear of rejection or annoying them. As a defense mechanism, I usually try to push my empathy aside. At the time, I rather seem cold than to have my feeling hurt.

I'm aware that I have a fairly weak Fe, and that probably explains my usual clash with my ESFJ mom, who often complains that I don't reach out to help her unless she asks me to. This also have embarrassed my friends sometimes, who perceived what I said or did in public as just plain weird.

I'll probably have more identity crisis in the future :tongue: But right now, I'm just going with ISFP because it feels more right.

Fi types in general would come off as discrete (I'm not sure who would be more though).

As for literature, Lenore Thomson's book is good. Interestingly, she divides chapters by dominant function (and then breaks it down into sub chapters). ESP/EFJ/ENP/INJ/IFP/ITP/ISJ. A couple of other books I've seen do that too. Point being though is that ISFP/INFP have a lot in common, just for being Fi dominant. So it's probably not unusual to be confused.

As for the functions/actions.. Some things would come harder than others probably. IFPs wouldn't be enthusiastic to develop Te. I think schooling, technical skills, and hobbies (like reading or games) all indirectly lend to Ti though. Although it would not be an IFP's natural choice..just something to draw upon. Additionally, depending on how you were raised, you'd get forced to do things that required Se (kind of like those stories of kids being taught to be right handed). For example, my dad wanted to make me live out his dreams of being an athlete, I think. I remember the first organized team I joined was in soccer. Which was a disaster at first. I was the kid who ran the ball the OTHER way, thinking I was some big hero.."I'm totally beating everyone!" Umm, no. But anyways, I got better.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs and tend to be perceived as very compassionate people. Sometimes people would call me cold, mean, even heartless. But this could be because I don't express my love and concern they way they expect me too. Also, it's difficult confiding in people. Is this an INFP trait, or applicable to any IXFP?

INFPs are described as people who feel a lot of compassion, not necessarily people who show a lot of compassion. Quite honestly, ISFPs are described pretty much the same way.

The is is because the feeling is turned inwards when you are a Fi-dom. It can make you appear cold to others, even if you feel warm towards them.

Jung on Fi-doms said:
There is little effort to respond to the real emotions of the other person, which tend to be damped and rebuffed, or to put it more aptly, are 'cooled off' by a negative value judgment. Although there is a constant readiness for a peaceful and harmonious co-existence, strangers are shown no touch of amiability, no gleam of responding warmth, but are met with apparent indifference or a repelling coldness. Often they are made to feel entirely superfluous.

The most consistent thing I see in your posts is Fi. If you identify with dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way, trusting your senses, and preferring that theories have a practical application, then ISFP is probably more likely than INFP.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Fi types in general would come off as discrete (I'm not sure who would be more though).

As for literature, Lenore Thomson's book is good. Interestingly, she divides chapters by dominant function (and then breaks it down into sub chapters). ESP/EFJ/ENP/INJ/IFP/ITP/ISJ. A couple of other books I've seen do that too. Point being though is that ISFP/INFP have a lot in common, just for being Fi dominant. So it's probably not unusual to be confused.

As for the functions/actions.. Some things would come harder than others probably. IFPs wouldn't be enthusiastic to develop Te. I think schooling, technical skills, and hobbies (like reading or games) all indirectly lend to Ti though. Although it would not be an IFP's natural choice..just something to draw upon. Additionally, depending on how you were raised, you'd get forced to do things that required Se (kind of like those stories of kids being taught to be right handed). For example, my dad wanted to make me live out his dreams of being an athlete, I think. I remember the first organized team I joined was in soccer. Which was a disaster at first. I was the kid who ran the ball the OTHER way, thinking I was some big hero.."I'm totally beating everyone!" Umm, no. But anyways, I got better.

haha I could totally imagine the situation. That's hilarious. :D

INFPs are described as people who feel a lot of compassion, not necessarily people who show a lot of compassion. Quite honestly, ISFPs are described pretty much the same way.

The is is because the feeling is turned inwards when you are a Fi-dom. It can make you appear cold to others, even if you feel warm towards them.

The most consistent thing I see in your posts is Fi. If you identify with dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way, trusting your senses, and preferring that theories have a practical application, then ISFP is probably more likely than INFP.

That makes sense. I could see how that creates problems for Fi people. I guess I have to try to develop my Fe then. But it's rather difficult, because when I do, I usually feel fake in a way. :sadbanana:

Can you elaborate "dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way". I know that's the essence of Se, but I think I need more examples.

And I guess I usually like theories to have some practicality. Like learning psychology for the sake of understanding myself more and by doing so, will have an easier time sorting my thoughts and feelings. It also would help dealing with people. Though sometimes I do learn them just for fun. But If I learn something just for the sake of knowing, and they're getting too depressing or complex, I will stop.

What makes me feel most un-INFPish, I think, is that I'm not naturally abstract and imaginative and even though fairly easy, it does require some effort in making inferences. Not saying that ISFPs are not, but it just seems like it comes more effortlessly for INFPs.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can you elaborate "dealing with the outer world in a pretty concrete way". I know that's the essence of Se, but I think I need more examples.

And I guess I usually like theories to have some practicality. Like learning psychology for the sake of understanding myself more and by doing so, will have an easier time sorting my thoughts and feelings. It also would help dealing with people. Though sometimes I do learn them just for fun. But If I learn something just for the sake of knowing, and they're getting too depressing or complex, I will stop.

What makes me feel most un-INFPish, I think, is that I'm not naturally abstract and imaginative and even though fairly easy, it does require some effort in making inferences. Not saying that ISFPs are not, but it just seems like it comes more effortlessly for INFPs.

Fe is a bit awkward for me too :laugh:

i can't really speak much to Se, but i think the hallmark of Ne is making connections even where others don't perceive any. i know that i can argue my way out of any corner based on that. so it's easy for me to see almost anything as "practical", because it has some application that's important in some way. or it could. i don't usually learn for the sake of learning - it's just that i don't mind learning anything because i believe that it has some kind of connection somewhere. and as i understand it, INFPs with Ne 2nd make connections for the sake of their Fi values. so they may be more discriminating than an ENFP with Ne - they would direct it to areas they have judged with Fi to be worthy of attention.

here is the main difference i think lies between SFP and NFP:

ISFPs are action-oriented individuals. They are "doers", and are usually uncomfortable with theorizing concepts and ideas, unless they see a practical application. They learn best in a "hands-on" environment, and consequently may become easily bored with the traditional teaching methods, which emphasize abstract thinking [...]

ISFPs are extremely perceptive and aware of others. They constantly gather specific information about people, and seek to discover what it means. They are usually penetratingly accurate in their perceptions of others.

ISFPs seem to be wayyy better at being in the moment. one i know is a little "dreamy" just like her INFP counterparts - quiet, gentle, mysterious - but still in a more down-to-earth way.

i think INFPs tend to have more intellectual hang-ups too. ISFPs seem more organic in a way. more go-with-the-flow.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because I'm not really attracted to sad things like many INFPs seems to. I love to dance and you would find me busting into random moves while listenting to songs. My INFP cousin can stand Seattle and loves living there. But I can't because weather conditions affect my mood. I usually feel more down on a gloomy, cloudy day, as opposed to clear, sunny weather.

Yeah, me too. I'm really affected by weather, surroundings, dirtiness, ugliness, smells, lack of sleep, what food I eat, light and sound sensitivity (I actually wear earplugs when I sleep, unless I live alone or am in a very quiet place) etc. It really makes me wonder sometimes.

And I'm unsure about me placing harmony as a priority. When I believe in something, I usually state it out, despite creating some irritation and tension to people around me. In arguments, I usually don't back down, unless the person starts crying and yelling, then I will withdraw. But if I see people close to me start doing so, it troubles me greatly.

Me too.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Your definitely an INFP. Your contempt for blindly following religion (something a Sensing person would more like do), your egalitarian ethical values, and your appreciation for abstract and theoretical subjects are all highly intutive traits.

This is completely stupid bullshit. OP, please don't listen to this nonsense.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Orangey

Alright, I'll admit that the first two traits aren't necessarily intuitive, I apologize for being wrong. But I'm not taking back what I said on the third trait, having an interest in theoretical and abstract subjects is usuallu an indicator that some is intuitive.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Alright, I'll admit that the first two traits aren't necessarily intuitive, I apologize for being wrong. But I'm not taking back what I said on the third trait, having an interest in theoretical and abstract subjects is usuallu an indicator that some is intuitive.

Good.

As to the third trait you mentioned, I suppose that is more acceptable. I think that typing by interests, however, is a bad way to go about it. Many types can have many different types of interests. It's their motivations and the way they go about pursuing their interests that differentiates them.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram

I already addressed it. And I it's ok really, Orangey was just trying to help out. :)

Edit: I mean Savage Brain.:doh:

Last edited:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, me too. I'm really affected by weather, surroundings, dirtiness, ugliness, smells, lack of sleep, what food I eat, light and sound sensitivity (I actually wear earplugs when I sleep, unless I live alone or am in a very quiet place) etc. It really makes me wonder sometimes.

Some of that may be a 4 thing (you are enneagram 4, right?). 4s are very affected by their physical atmosphere, although the response tends to be emotional. It can stem from their idealism. In people with an sp instinctual variant, there is also often a sensitivity to these things, because it threatens their well-being. For a 4 type, I think it's almost an unwelcome reminder of reality, a sensory intrusion on their fantasy world.

I don't like being uncomfortable physically at all either. I just thought this meant I am high-maintenance :D. But for me, I see how it could be related to my enneagram type.

However, I do see my ISFP step-dad being affected more by some sensory stimuli than I am. The washer/dryer can bug him, whereas I block that out easily.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Fe is a bit awkward for me too :laugh:

i can't really speak much to Se, but i think the hallmark of Ne is making connections even where others don't perceive any. i know that i can argue my way out of any corner based on that. so it's easy for me to see almost anything as "practical", because it has some application that's important in some way. or it could. i don't usually learn for the sake of learning - it's just that i don't mind learning anything because i believe that it has some kind of connection somewhere. and as i understand it, INFPs with Ne 2nd make connections for the sake of their Fi values. so they may be more discriminating than an ENFP with Ne - they would direct it to areas they have judged with Fi to be worthy of attention.

here is the main difference i think lies between SFP and NFP:

ISFPs seem to be wayyy better at being in the moment. one i know is a little "dreamy" just like her INFP counterparts - quiet, gentle, mysterious - but still in a more down-to-earth way.

i think INFPs tend to have more intellectual hang-ups too. ISFPs seem more organic in a way. more go-with-the-flow.

Yeah, compared to people I know, I'm pretty good at making connections. Many times, people say something, and I would say "Oh, that reminds me of [insert]". And when reading, I can relate the information to the past material that I have learned pretty well.

I'm quite different from my INFP cousin, and even though close, we have many clashes with each other. This usually results from her trying to "help", and me refusing, as I rather take time out to deal with it myself. I read that INFPs tend to reach out for people even though they don't ask for it, and when people don't accept their helps, it hurts their feelings. She's dreamier and creative. We both love to draw, but her arts are much more abstract, consisting of angels, saints, masks, trees growing from hearts, etc. Mine are just people posing and smiling.:smile:

And do ISFPs necessarily need to be good at arts and craft? :huh:

Me too.

So are you a "cute" INFP or ISFP? :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the posts in this thread by you, I definitely am seeing a major Fi vibe. I think ISFP though, you remind me a lot of myself. An ISFP with strong Ni. I thought that I was INFP for years.

An ongoing theme for you seems to be freedom. Your own freedom and other's freedom. Your values have an Se flavor to them. Everything seems to be pretty practical and pragmatic for you; straightforward.

Basically Se and Ne are kind of the same thing, but not really. Se sees things in terms of the current context. Ne sees things in terms of other contexts. Ni feeds Se by seeing how things in the current context relate to other things in reality; thus making reality itself, your reality, the current context if Ni had fed Se enough. As for Si feeding Ne, Si's impressions of previous experiences make Ne's random tangents a bit more tangible and realistic.

Se is fully objective; it's based on raw sensory data. Ne is based on possibilities, what could be. Potential.

Here is a visual representation (that I made lol) of how these functions work-

picture.php

Se sees many facts and just generally sees reality. Ni connects all of these things to come to a conclusion. Ne sees one thing and sees how it could develop, Ne branches out. Ne is fed because Si provides these random ideas, they are actually just relating reality to other things.

Here is a good site for the temperaments- 4temperaments.com -- Understanding Temperament Theory That pretty much settled SP for me.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
It's nice to see other ISFPs who have a strong N. Because that's what I'm suspecting myself to be right now. :)

So Se accumulates information, and Ni forms a general idea. And Ne grabs a hold of idea and develops details from there? I'm still kinda confused about the function of Si though.

KDude

Ni doesn't necessarily form a general idea, I think.. It could, but it's more like looking at different angles. It could possibly be a negative in ISFPs (like paranoia or suspicion in reading something into a situation). Creatively, it'd seperate you from making dull things and being an all around bore, who just talked about or was artistic merely on a superficial level (for example, you wouldn't find many ISFP painters who painted still lifes exactly as they saw them.. or be very throwback and conventional in their taste in music).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's nice to see other ISFPs who have a strong N. Because that's what I'm suspecting myself to be right now. :)

So Se accumulates information, and Ni forms a general idea. And Ne grabs a hold of idea and develops details from there? I'm still kinda confused about the function of Si though.

:laugh: See, thats the stuff that makes me think BlackCat's NOT an S. The day I draw a diagram of hypothetical functions is the day I got hit in the head really hard by a blunt instrument. ;)

I go by observation, without claiming to know anyone better than they know themselves, but also believing in the "if it quacks like a duck" premise.

If abstract speech/thought is your norm, then that's N. If concrete speech/thought is your norm, then that's S. I have yet to meet someone that really is 50-50 with that, and it's usually pretty obvious within a few minutes of conversation.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

To me, Si is kinda like a hashed memory system (though that may be because of the Ne). It's what happens when you hear a certain song and remember that this was the song that was playing when you proposed to your wife. Or you wince when you see someone stub his toe against something because you've done that before and you know how it feels.

Si also allows you to tell when things are different or changed from before. You enter your room and immediately notice that something has been moved or removed.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Ni doesn't necessarily form a general idea, I think.. It could, but it's more like looking at different angles. It could possibly be a negative in ISFPs (like paranoia or suspicion in reading something into a situation). Creatively, it'd seperate you from making dull things and being an all around bore, who just talked about or was artistic merely on a superficial level (for example, you wouldn't find many ISFP painters who painted still lifes exactly as they saw them.. or be very throwback and conventional in their taste in music).

Oh, so Ni is what allows you to make connection from different materials and to view things in different perspectives. If I do something I hate and choose to look at in a different light so that I can have a better time, I'm using Ni. Hope I'm understanding it correctly.
And it's true, Ni can be very annoying as it makes up stuff that's unlikely to happen but still scares the crap out of me. Sadly, the latter tends to happen and not the first. D:

:laugh: See, thats the stuff that makes me think BlackCat's NOT an S. The day I draw a diagram of hypothetical functions is the day I got hit in the head really hard by a blunt instrument. ;)

I go by observation, without claiming to know anyone better than they know themselves, but also believing in the "if it quacks like a duck" premise.

If abstract speech/thought is your norm, then that's N. If concrete speech/thought is your norm, then that's S. I have yet to meet someone that really is 50-50 with that, and it's usually pretty obvious within a few minutes of conversation.

Well, I usually think and speak in a concrete manner and I love using funny catchphrases. I'm an ISFP? :confused:

To me, Si is kinda like a hashed memory system (though that may be because of the Ne). It's what happens when you hear a certain song and remember that this was the song that was playing when you proposed to your wife. Or you wince when you see someone stub his toe against something because you've done that before and you know how it feels.

Si also allows you to tell when things are different or changed from before. You enter your room and immediately notice that something has been moved or removed.

That's a good explanation. Thanks. :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I usually think and speak in a concrete manner and I love using funny catchphrases. I'm an ISFP? :confused:

Could be. What do you live for?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I think with INFPs, it's important to note that Si in the tert spot is often not very good at remembering factual details so much as remembering nuances of feeling. Si seems to be working with Fi, recalling what was important so Fi has some experience to work with & not just Ne hypothetical ideas.

I definitely see my Si working in frivolous ways also, such as the room example (I sense something has been moved - can't always pinpoint it though), or with me, noting when food is not prepared the same, or someone changed their hairdo, etc.