• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI and/or Enneagram do I sound like?

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
I've had some confusion about my type on either MBTI or the Enneagram. I've taken several tests, read many descriptions, and have the book "Personality Types". I've been told I was 3 different types for MBTI and 2 different ones for Enneagram. I figured I'd just tell about a typical day and how my reactions to things and my interactions with people are. Ask any and all questions you might have.

So, my normal day contains work, so I have to get up early. Early=before 9:30. I don't get up until the very last minute because I'm not getting paid for the time my job is taking away from my morning for me to get ready for it, nor the time it takes away from my night by making me go to bed before I'd like, so I go to bed as late as I can without being too tired and minimize the time between getting up and going to work.

I wake up at 7:40 when my alarm goes off. It is set to the local rock station because rock is the closest to the music I like. I shut it off within a couple seconds after it going off and never hit snooze. I don't want it annoyingly going off again. It's bad enough that it had to go off once. I set it at 7:40 so I can lay in bed awake a while before getting up. I'm supposed to be at work at 8, but I usually end up getting up at 8 because I've been going in 15-45 minutes late every day for the last couple years and have never heard a thing about it. I still email my morning clock-in time as 8, though, because my job consists of answering technical support calls and I often get calls before and at 8 on my cell phone that, as far as HR and my boss knows, I answered, and therefore need to get paid for.

I get up, grab a pair of pants and shirt from the closet, get my socks on, then go out to the kitchen and pour some coffee. It has a scheduled brew so it starts brewing at 7:30 every morning. It's nice. I then get my wallet (says Bad Mother Fucker on it), 32 GB flash drive, name tag, company cell phone, $160 sunglasses, dinky 2 GB MP3 player that I got for Christmas with my $300 ear phones (Etymotic ER-4P), turn it on listening to usually Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal, or Power Metal, and walk to work. It takes 12 minutes to walk from my front door to the time clock near my office.

My job consists of answering the phone for technical support and apparently being a psychiatrist to the people who have emotional responses to their technical issues. This is what my co-worker says, anyway. We usually have disagreements about it. He's more of a people-pleasing "good customer service" type person. I just want to fix their computer's problem and they should be mature enough to not need me to make them feel better about it. It's work for Pete's sake. Leave your personal issues at home. In fact, I'd rather they don't call me at all and just fix their own computer problems. Just pay me to sit here and surf the web. Or better yet, to stay home. I'm typing all this at work. And I hate it when people I'm talking to don't listen to what I say. I said to click on Start, not some other thing that you think will fix it. You called me to fix it, so let me do it and follow what I say. I also manage the servers and user accounts and email. High School is my highest level of education.

I find humor in things like Somethingawful.com and Weird Al and thereifixedit.com. I like things that make fun of things. I also like things that offend others because it offends them.

My desk is usually messy with papers laying around that I haven't touched in a while. As long as they aren't in the way and I haven't decided that I don't need them anymore, they stay there. I'd rather eat fast food than cook. I wouldn't mind watching a movie every night. I like playing RPGs (not online, I like the turn-based one-player ones) and watching anime (Japanese how it was intended with subtitles, not English).

When driving, I used to always go as close to the exact speed limit as possible and use the cruise control whenever I'm going for more than a mile at the same speed. I now always go 5 over the speed limit because I can always get away with it. I always use my blinker and always obey every rule of the road except music volume, which I turn down when I pass a cop. I have to let the people I drive by hear what real music is. I get very annoyed at every person who fails to use a turn-signal, accelerates too slow after a stop, slows down too much to turn, turns too slow, pulls out way too close in front of me and then fails to match my speed, FAILS TO YIELD AT A FREAKIN' YIELD SIGN, rides my tail when I'm already going 5 over the speed limit, tries to bully their way in front of me when it's my turn to go (even though I ignore them and make them slam on their breaks when they see I'm not being intimidated out of the way, and I've never been in an accident in my 8 years of driving), among other things. I usually wish I had supernatural powers during those times and I honestly would use them to blow up their car off the road if I could.

I live with my fiancée and her daughter and we have a son. My fiancée is an ISFJ and we believe a 6w7. Our usual arguments are over how much time I spend on the computer versus with her, me "grilling" her about things when I'm just asking questions to understand her, "defending" other people who she perceived as rude to her when it seems like there was just a misunderstanding and they probably weren't intending to be rude. She also seems to hate talking about things in very much depth and wants to end any disagreement as soon as it starts, which is very frustrating to me since I want to resolve it to both of our satisfaction. I usually look at the negative when trying to decide if we should do or get something, and look at the positive once we've done it or gotten it.

I can't think of anything else right now. Please read and ask questions and give your opinions. Looking back, this whole things sounds rather negative. Maybe I'm just in a negative mood. We just got back from camping and I don't want to be back at work. Plus my son and fiancée are sick and she wants me to take a half day to come home and help her out after I just took 2 vacation days for camping and it's busy here. I really do love her and my family and I think most people think I'm nice and get along with me. I guess the negative just stands out to me.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

As of now I see IxTP. S and N is tricky. Lemme get back to you on that 'x'. Or I suppose a probing question should be asked.

Which one sounds more like you. When you are looking at something do you see what is, meaning the literal object, or do you see what could be i.e. what the object represents? I'll also add that this is an immediate reaction. Do you automatically do the first, or second? Of course I could be wrong. So not corresponding with either of those descriptions very well is a welcome answer, too.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Ha ha. :D

I don't know what your type is, but I relate to almost everythingEDIT: lots of the things you said.

Especially THIS:

I always use my blinker and always obey every rule of the road except music volume, which I turn down when I pass a cop. I have to let the people I drive by hear what real music is. I get very annoyed at every person who fails to use a turn-signal, accelerates too slow after a stop, slows down too much to turn, turns too slow, pulls out way too close in front of me and then fails to match my speed, FAILS TO YIELD AT A FREAKIN' YIELD SIGN, rides my tail when I'm already going 5 over the speed limit, tries to bully their way in front of me when it's my turn to go (even though I ignore them and make them slam on their breaks when they see I'm not being intimidated out of the way, and I've never been in an accident in my 8 years of driving), among other things. I usually wish I had supernatural powers during those times and I honestly would use them to blow up their car off the road if I could.

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
ISTP

P - because not concerned with being to work on time; drives over the speed limit, messy desk
SP - really not into work, much rather be doing ANYTHING else, just wants to watch movies every night, desire to escape, experience pleasure
I - not interested in interacting with people on the phone (probably not best job for you)
T - not interested in talking to others about feelings - not overly sympathetic (or interested) in their problems. Get to the problem at hand and fix it.
S - literal - "I told you what the problem is" Get it? Computer techs are often Ss. Deal with concrete problems and clearly defined solutions. Not theoretical.

Just what I picked up from post. Oh yeah. If I didn't mention it - sounds SP because of rebellious streak and a possible unhappiness at not being able to play more? Of course, this is all speculative.

ISTP corresponds with type 5 and 6 - both head types.
Yeah. Your description sounded Fiveish. You're not interested in emotions. more cerebral. Detached. Just want to be left alone without intrusions of others (customers). But you also seem Sixish with your rebellious streak. Pushing the limits if only slightly.

I'd guess 5 with 6 or 6 with 5 wing.

Best to read descriptions from Russo Hudson to know for sure.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

ISTP

P - because not concerned with being to work on time; drives over the speed limit
SP - really not into work, much rather be doing ANYTHING else
I - not interested in interacting with people on the phone (probably not best job for you)
T - not interested in talking to others about feelings - not overly sympathetic (or interested) in their problems. Get to the problem at hand and fix it.
S - literal - "I told you what the problem is" Get it? Computer techs are often Ss. Deal with concrete problems and clearly defined solutions. Not theoretical.

Just what I picked up from post. Oh yeah. If I didn't mention it - sounds SP because of rebellious streak and a possible unhappiness at not being able to play more? Of course, this is all speculative.

ISTP corresponds with type 5 and 6 - both head types.
Yeah. Your description sounded Fiveish. You're not interested in emotions. more cerebral. Detached. Just want to be left alone without intrusions of others (customers). But you also seem Sixish with your rebellious streak. Pushing the limits if only slightly.

I'd guess 5 with 6 or 6 with 5 wing.

Best to read descriptions from Russo Hudson to know for sure.

This. :shrug: (such a strange, but amazing emoticon, where does it hail from I wonder).

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
This. :shrug: (such a strange, but amazing emoticon, where does it hail from I wonder).

I'm not sure if you're referring to me ---it's a painting of Joan of Arc. I like it.

The interesting thing is if he's actually ISTP (as Applied Orange suggested), he would also most likely be a 5 or 6.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
S? Well, that's a surprise. No one's ever suggested that before.

@ReflecttcelfeR

So, when I look at something... Let's see... I guess I see both. I look at this empty cup here and this is what goes through my mind:

One of my favorite cups.
Holds a good amount, but not as much as some others.
Good for filling with water and taking to bed, but not for when you are really thirsty. That takes one of the bigger cups.
Good for any kind of liquid, actually. Some, like the small glasses, are milk or orange juice cups.
One of Nichole's.
Plastic.
See-through.
Goes together with Nichole's blue plastic cups of the same shape and size.
This one has flip-flops on it (I used this cup for months before realizing this).

If I look at something else... (something I didn't think of while writing this):

Black.
Built it with Nichole and accidentally put the bottom panel on backwards so it isn't black.
Bookshelf.
Has the kids' books on the shelves.
Has the aquarium on it.
About hip-high.
Justin always grabs the books on it and rips them, so we took our books off and left only the kids' ones on because we were tired of getting him in trouble over it.
Wooden.

However, I might think of the back story of these objects first because I'm so used to them that I don't notice the physical properties of them right away. Just like I'm typing right now by thinking of the letters and pressing them, not thinking of where the letters are. It might work better if it is an object that I haven't seen before. What do you think?

@Onceajoan Applied Orange suggested ISTJ. Also

This is usually because I want to get the call over with as quickly as possible and get back to what I was doing. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
My gut feeling is that you're ENTP or ENFP EDIT: some kind of ExxP, and probably an Enneagram 7.

I don't have a lot of confidence in that feeling yet, I don't have the energy or the patience to explain it point by point right now.

I'll probably have to ask more questions.

Maybe I'll get back to it later.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

S? Well, that's a surprise. No one's ever suggested that before.

@ReflecttcelfeR

So, when I look at something... Let's see... I guess I see both. I look at this empty cup here and this is what goes through my mind:

One of my favorite cups.
Holds a good amount, but not as much as some others.
Good for filling with water and taking to bed, but not for when you are really thirsty. That takes one of the bigger cups.
Good for any kind of liquid, actually. Some, like the small glasses, are milk or orange juice cups.
One of Nichole's.
Plastic.
See-through.
Goes together with Nichole's blue plastic cups of the same shape and size.
This one has flip-flops on it (I used this cup for months before realizing this).

If I look at something else... (something I didn't think of while writing this):

Black.
Built it with Nichole and accidentally put the bottom panel on backwards so it isn't black.
Bookshelf.
Has the kids' books on the shelves.
Has the aquarium on it.
About hip-high.
Justin always grabs the books on it and rips them, so we took our books off and left only the kids' ones on because we were tired of getting him in trouble over it.
Wooden.

However, I might think of the back story of these objects first because I'm so used to them that I don't notice the physical properties of them right away. Just like I'm typing right now by thinking of the letters and pressing them, not thinking of where the letters are. It might work better if it is an object that I haven't seen before. What do you think?

I see the beginning as very sensual, which links towards Se which would lead to the SP, more so than the NP. However you mentioning the back story leans itself more to Si, which in turn leans you towards the SJ's. I'd say it's a toss up between SJ and SP. Most definitly T and I. I see more Se than I do Si and so in my opinion I say ISTP.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm not sure if you're referring to me ---it's a painting of Joan of Arc. I like it.

The interesting thing is if he's actually ISTP (as Applied Orange suggested), he would also most likely be a 5 or 6.

I was admiring P Diddy shrugging (he is gone now). What is your painting of exactly? I should've been more specific. Hmmmm, most people usually associate fives with NT's (this is not to say that it always is an NT, of course). I don't know much about enneagram specifics, but if ISTP's are known to have a rebellious streak and if that is found in 6's then we can connect the two and suggest him research it. Yes?

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'm quite confident that you're an ISTJ or ISTP. I'm not sure about your Enneagram type, but my guess is either 1w9, 7w6 or 6w5.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get S because of the way you describe yourself through a chronological account of a typical day, describing what has happened in detail. Something about that also suggested SJ (introverted sensing - focusing on perceptions of past experience, especially facts & details), but come to think of it, Se people talk that way a lot also. I'd still suggest looking at ISTJ, but also ISTP.

How familiar are you with the cognitive functions? That's the next step in deciding type if a profile doesn't easily pop out at you.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
I never considered to have an S. This is very interesting. I must admit I am biased toward INTP and 5w4, but I don't think I have much anxiety or fear. If anything, I have anger, which would correlate to 9 (9w1 for me).

I was told I was INFJ as well at INTPc. That one didn't jive at all with me.

Since being told I might be ISTP, I've been looking up ISTP vs INTP Google results and Sensing seems to correlate with physical activity. I thought I'd talk about some of my life growing up, school life, and some other things.

I'm the oldest of 6 kids. We had a 2 acre yard. My favorite things to do as a kid in the house were play NES (I'd use the Game Genie and it didn't take long until I read the manual and figured out you can make up your own codes by modifying some of the letters of the existing ones. I ended up trying every combination of codes I could and writing down the best ones), and later play RPGs, look stuff up online, and listen to music.

When I was younger, I'd find the best, strongest stick I could find and go around the yard finding other sticks. I'd pick these up, toss them into the air, and hit them as close to the middle as I could and try to break them in half. I was the Starship Enterprise from TNG and my stick was my weapons. The other ships were other alien races and the type of tree determined the race. The trees were their space stations, which I couldn't attack. Only the ships. When a little piece of one would hit me, that would be their weapons, but it didn't do much damage and they rarely hit me because I was THAT GOOD. Some sticks like the evergreen ones were really flexible and took many hits to destroy. I'd hit those things a good 30 feet away each time. I'd spend hours doing that.

Another thing similar was our garden. When we let it go, it would get weeds that grew to be at least 5 feet tall. I pretended I was a helicopter and the weeds I hit down with my stick were buildings in an enemy military base. Each type of weed was a building with a different function and each one I destroyed limited the functionality of that service in that area. We also had a rope swing that my dad put up and I'd pretend that was a knight or warrior of some type with a sword and I'd hit it and try to dodge it when it would come back. It really got me good sometimes. I thought I got pretty good at sword fighting that way.

We had a large trampoline that we all loved to jump on. I made up the majority of the games for us to play and everyone loved them. The first was The Fall-Down Game. You run around the parameter of the trampoline (inside the springs) clockwise and try to catch up to the person in front of you. Once you do, you have to touch their back and they HAVE to fall down. You MUST trip over any part of any person in your way and fall down yourself. You cannot jump over anyone. Once you fall down, you have to wait for 5 seconds and then get back up and continue running, but you can't get up if any part of anyone is on top of any part of you. If there is, you must wait until they get up first. It was very fun.

The next one was Rough Folder. I got the name from when we were folding clothes and I was feeling energetic and declared myself the rough folder and started folding clothes all forcefully. In Rough Folder the trampoline game, I'm always the rough folder and anyone else on the trampoline is against me. I have to remain on my hands and knees the whole time and the object is to get me onto my back with both my shoulders touching the trampoline. Most of the time I would outlast everyone else and they'd get tired and give up. I'd intentionally let them get me partially on my back just to get away from them and make them start over again.

The last one was The Shoe Game. Everyone's shoes would go onto the trampoline and we'd have to jump around avoiding the shoes while trying to bounce them off. Getting hit resulted in one hit point of 10 being taken away and having to do a "bosze" (pronounced "bo" like "bow" - "sz" like the "si" in "vision"). A bosze is where you land sitting down and bounce back up to your feet. Getting hit while doing a bosze still counts as getting hit. Getting hit 10 times means you lose one of 3 lives and have to land on your back and back up. The game was the best during summer with the sprinkler under the trampoline.

During school, I got only As and Bs for 5th and 6th grade. I got my first C in 7th, my first D in 8th, and my first F as a freshmen. It went downhill from there. In high school I averaged Cs and Ds. I'd fail the homework half of the grade because I had better things to do at home like play. I'd then worry about failing, feel overwhelmed by the daunting task of doing all the make-up work that would individually have a very small impact in raising my grade, and look forward to the tests so I could get As and Bs on them with minimal studying and significantly raise my grade with those. My favorite classes were helping the network administrator manage the network, P.E., and Art. My favorite sports are badminton and volleyball. Most of the other classes were boring and the only part I really enjoyed was listening to the teacher give the lecture. I didn't want to go out for any sports because I'd rather be at home, but I did join the track team for 7th grade and the 4 years of high school. 6:25 best mile, 11.9 best 100 meter, and 54 best 400. I tried going to a couple classes in college but lost interest and just dropped out.

I love going on hikes and going up difficult terrain. I like jumping across large rocks in rivers. Whenever I'm walking and there's a curb by itself without a sidewalk connected to it, I walk along it and never fall, making it look easy.

I've written several sci-fi/fantasy stories, similar to LOTR and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in nature. I played Uno a couple times and then made my own version of that, which everyone who's played loves and says it is much more fun than the regular one. I've also made my own card game based on that using regular poker cards called CIQ (currently version 2.3). I've been told by everyone who played it that it is awesome and very fun.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
OK, after reading all of your posts in this thread....

My current (and tentative) guess is ENTP.

You said you're leaning toward INTP.

Why do you see yourself as likely an Introvert?

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
Why an introvert? Because I definitely keep to myself most of the time. I always wait for someone else to say "hi" before I do and often wish they didn't see me so they wouldn't say it and make me have to say it. Not out of fear, just because it's bothersome. I usually score close to 100% introvert on tests. I wonder where you're getting E, N, and F when everyone else is seeing I, S, and T.

Also, things that I think are traits of N:

I love what-ifs. I'm always thinking of them. Like at work the other day, 2 completely unrelated computers had very similar but very unusual errors. I suggested that maybe our office was cursed and there was a real virus in there that infected computers that were brought in. Then I went on to talk about what if someone wrote a virus that actually infected the hardware and would transfer to any software on it.

When listening to music, I usually make up what the lyrics could mean. Such as the song that goes "...so take, these broken wings, and learn to fly again..." I went up to my friend and said, "I've figured out what this song is talking about. There's a karate dojo or something and the sensai has this pair of broken wings that straps to your back. You'd think it would be hard to learn how to fly with normal wings, but imagine how hard it would be to learn to fly with broken ones! So, when a student is bad or makes a mistake, the sensai hands the wings to the student and says 'take these broken wings and learn to fly again' because the frustrating process of learning how to fly all over again with the broken wings is the punishment." People are always saying I come up with the weirdest things.

I'm always going online to look something up that made me curious. Then while reading on that, something in there will draw me to look that up, then something in there will draw me away to that and so on. I once looked up black holes and read several articles about them just because they are interesting. The same with relativity. Or the largest number in the world. The origins of words is a big thing. I love trying to figure out where a word came from and then looking it up. Why is the sky blue?

I'm often coming up with an idea about a device that should exist and someone saying, "then why don't you invent that and become rich?" Well, because that would be too much work and I don't know anything about how to make it and I'd rather just think of the idea.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced you're ENTP or INTP.

And since you seem more inclined to think you're Introverted, then I guess I'll go with INTP.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
Meh, maybe I'll do a video of me talking. I've seen other people request that. Now I need to figure out what to talk about...

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I wonder where you're getting E, N, and F when everyone else is seeing I, S, and T.

Well, I didn't really have much to go on when I gave my initial guess of ENTP or ENFP.

In fact, I almost immediately changed it to ExxP, and mentioned that I was feeling pretty unsure.

But more than anything, I was leaning toward ENTP, from the very beginning.

I still have a slight feeling you're Extraverted, but it's hard to pinpoint why.

I'm really uncomfortable trying to explain my intuitive impressions in detail. It feels artificial and inaccurate because I don't actually KNOW how or why I get these impressions.

Trying to explain it is clumsy, at best.

And since you know yourself better than anyone else, and you consider yourself strongly Introverted, I have no choice, really, but to assume you're right.

Just remember though, if you decide you're ENTP in the future--I told ya so! :D :D :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm still getting S, but I'd say ISTP now.....I suggest looking into the functions still. Every type has 4 main functions, with the middle two letters referring to their top 2.

Both ISTP and INTP have dominant introverted Thinking (Ti). Some of the "curiosity" you describe actually sounds like Ti to me Introverted Thinking. You can read about the other functions on that site also.

The INTP's 2nd function is extroverted iNtuition (Ne), and the ISTP's 2nd function is extroverted Sensing (Se). ISTPs certainly can be imaginative - people sometimes call both ISxPs the "iNtuitive Sensors" because their 3rd function is Ni (introverted iNtuition). If you look into all the functions, this will make sense :tongue:.

EDIT: ISTPs can definitely be enneagram 5 also.