• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP? Or something else?

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
Hey guys,

so I have difficulty finding my type and I tend to become obsessive with these things. I have a pretty strong NT, borderline P/J, but I think I'm more P than J. (feel free to suggest I am an S or a J, though, although I think I'm pretty set on the T). I think I've narrowed it down to a confusion between I and E.

THIS WILL BE LONG AND BORING. Sorry guys :(

I'm very hard to get to know, at least to really get to know. I guess once people break my "friendly" shell they realize I'm kind of "mysterious". I've been described as "picky" with people, and unless I show interest in somebody and look for them, they tend to not become close to me. That said, there can be quite a few people I become interested in and "pursue". I have a large circle of friends, many whom I consider close, some more than others. But, I prefer meeting with all these acquaintances on one-on-one to get to know them and talk to them personally.

This might be weird, though, but I don't like being with my close friends by themselves... I get bored of it sometimes, unless it is to listen to their problems and help them out (I'm an awesome listener, and I love to play therapist and give advice). I prefer having a group of close friends, yet meeting acquaintances on their own. This has led to a complicated social situation in which I have a lot of friends that are very different and don't really get along together, while still maintaining a core group of 3-4 friends that I am always with.

When I am in a comfortable environment (small group, small class, or my university, for example), I am usually pretty loud and have no problem meeting people, I say what I think usually and like to meet all kinds of people. In class I can be sort of jokester-y and loud. In larger classes, though, I tend to speak with a more monotonous voice and usually just point out technical things instead of making arguments.

People who are my acquaintances tend to think I am an extrovert, unless they met me in an environment that was completely new to me (at my university, I'm usually regarded as an extrovert), although people who have known me for a very long time tend to think I'm more I (I was a bit antisocial and shy in middle school and the beginning of high school).

All that said, I love going out, I'm very adventurous and I like taking risks and trying new things. I am very, very humorous. If there's any plan to go out, I'm always in. I'm also not afraid of making a complete fool of myself in public by being ridiculous. I am terribly bored by small talk, so when I meet people I tend to put a topic that interests me, which can range from TV shows/movies to basically any random funny thing that happened to me in the day.

I think I might be a borderline I, or a shy extrovert? I'm also confused because ENTPs tend to be mistyped as I sometimes, while INTPs tend to be one of the more reclusive types, and I definitely do not regard myself as reclusive...at all!

Sorry for rambling. Hope this wasn't too boring. Feel free to ask questions so I can be more precise/clear about things. Thanks :D

EDIT: To make things even more confusing, I've been testing 9w8 sexual on my enneagram lately. I'm really easygoing if that makes sense?

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, you don't have to work about being xNTJ I think. Those guys are much crisper than you seem to be.

I would say that you are probably ENTP. INTPs tend to be reclusive, yes, but also really 'in their heads' about things. Being bored with people is a typical ENTP complaint. Introverts tend to get annoyed or drained by them. Also, your thing about close friends seems really strange to me. I would think that if they were close friends you'd want to be just with them, and if you didn't then they weren't really close friends. I don't really consider anyone who I can't be comfortable and engaged with alone as a close friend.

Also, the small talk thing tends to be everyone, I find. What you call small talk might be someone else's interesting conversation. See, I could still consider your talking about random funny things as small talk, i.e. still just breaking the ice.

If you want to be more certain of your type, you should consider looking into the cognitive processes. One good starting point, if you've never taken it or read about the cognitive processes, is this test: Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Once you've done that, you might consider reading more about the cognitive processes.

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
I guess what I meant by the things with close friends is that I'd rather be with them as a group than with them one by one. Maybe that's something that just a preference now since I have many individual acquaintances, I may be wishing for a sort of group? You can overlook this fact, though, because I just see it as something that just came up and not necessarily a trend.

I don't get bored of people that easily unless they fall in a rut... but my reaction to this isn't cutting them off, just maybe trying to shake things up a bit or hanging out with other people for a while. People tend to drain me if they're very emotional, otherwise I'm pretty content. I just can't deal with emotional people. @_@;

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
I did the cognitive functions thing, I got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.4)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.5)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.5)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.6)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************************* (33.3)
good use

which makes me more INTP, but just by a bit. Other recommended types were ENTP and INFP...

A) Ti > Ne ... B) > Fe > Si

A) this part is very INTP...
B) this part is very ENTP...

@_____@

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
I guess the chameleon part of INTPs makes sense in my case, but that also makes INTP an easy fallback type.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
aaaaaahhhhh!!!! I think you might be both lol.

That sucks with the uni thing, I flitter between many groups and hang out with a different lot of people every day, so there's a little difference there. And most of my friends know each other, often really randomly, it's pretty awesome :D I have heard from TED talks that more extraverted people will generally have a more web-like group of friends, most probably because they introduce people often. I find it really interesting watching two of your friends meet for the first time lol.

I've been wondering about this more and more lately, I have typed a few people INTP and a few people ENTP in physics, it's quite sketchy, but I think I'm right in most cases.

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
I would love a link to that ted talk.

I hate having my friends meet, though. Most of the time it doesn't work out. They're all too different.

I'm a bit reluctant about putting up my pic here... but I might eventually. Still, I think typing by physics is kind of bull so I dunno :/

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That sucks with the uni thing, I flitter between many groups and hang out with a different lot of people every day, so there's a little difference there. And most of my friends know each other, often really randomly, it's pretty awesome :D I have heard from TED talks that more extraverted people will generally have a more web-like group of friends, most probably because they introduce people often. I find it really interesting watching two of your friends meet for the first time lol..

lol!

i have this tendency to be like oh we're going to (this place)! (person) and (person) are there, i would like to see them! but (person i'm with) doesn't know them! well i guess we could avoid them but maybe it'd be cool for me to just drop in on them for a second so as not to annoy (person i'm with) too much!

so if the person i'm with is also an E they will typically end up meeting the others. if they are an I there is probably less of a chance because they are probably not as interested in meeting people they don't know and will voice that to me.

so i feel like i have this big group of mostly Es that know one another... and then lots of Is on the outer ends of the web that tend not to know one another as much.

op, i would try to look at your own thought processes and think about if you do more contemplating/fitting things together internally (Ti) or more linking and development of external ideas (Ne). in an ENTP Ne will play the primary role, while Ti will guide Ne. so you tend to be interested in lots of external stuff while using your internal sense of logic to understand it. whereas INTP will have Ti as the primary, and will tend to use Ne - external ideas and connections - to guide their construction and refinement of an interior logical system. so both are very similar, but ENTP's focus is primarily outward / N, while INTP's focus is primarily inward / T. ENTP will generally seem more all over the place and INTP will seem more grounded.

i wouldn't worry about your tertiary and inferior functions as much, though an interesting analysis can be to look at how you use them. ENTP will tend to use Fe to extravert Ti reasoning (ie, diplomatics and people-navigation) while INTP will tend to use Si to back up Ti reasoning (prove their ideas with a storehouse of information.) both types can develop one or the other function more strongly, of course, but those are general tendencies.

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
the thought processes are very hard. i feel like i have both a strong Ne and Ti. i've done the test many times and whether Ti or Ne is stronger always changes. i guess i'll have to read more about them to see for sure.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
i did score highest on ti aswell in that test, but an equally high score on ne and se is what made me think entp

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Don't worry. There are a lot of people who are somewhere in the middle. No big deal.

redacted

You sound like an ENTP to me.

Introvert/Extrovert in MBTI don't really fit the dictionary definitions. It's only which function you use more often (and don't trust that cogfunction test so much that you won't allow for a 5% margin of error :)).

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would love a link to that ted talk.

I hate having my friends meet, though. Most of the time it doesn't work out. They're all too different.

I'm a bit reluctant about putting up my pic here... but I might eventually. Still, I think typing by physics is kind of bull so I dunno :/

hrmmm... here we go: TED talk- Social Web

wait... typing by physics??? what do you mean, I have typed a lot of people in physics and chemistry who are XNTPs (unsurprisingly). I wish I could type people using physics but I can't lol.

You must be a true chameleon if your friends are all that different, yeah?

HEY WTF!!! THERE'S A NEW SMILEY!!! :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

AWESOME :D

lol!

i have this tendency to be like oh we're going to (this place)! (person) and (person) are there, i would like to see them! but (person i'm with) doesn't know them! well i guess we could avoid them but maybe it'd be cool for me to just drop in on them for a second so as not to annoy (person i'm with) too much!

lol, I'd drag them along anyway, the only problem is when you start talking to (person) and (person you're with) sits back quietly for a moment, you kinda feel bad for leaving them out, yeah?

so if the person i'm with is also an E they will typically end up meeting the others. if they are an I there is probably less of a chance because they are probably not as interested in meeting people they don't know and will voice that to me.

so i feel like i have this big group of mostly Es that know one another... and then lots of Is on the outer ends of the web that tend not to know one another as much.

I wonder if there are weird little threads of introverts all over the place :shrug:, I find it hilarious when you be all friendly towards super introverted people and they're kind of like... who the hell are you? :devil:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You sound like an ENTP to me.

Introvert/Extrovert in MBTI don't really fit the dictionary definitions. It's only which function you use more often (and don't trust that cogfunction test so much that you won't allow for a 5% margin of error :)).

I thought the error was more like 20%?

pseudoku

MBTI Type
xNTp
hrmmm... here we go: TED talk- Social Web

wait... typing by physics??? what do you mean, I have typed a lot of people in physics and chemistry who are XNTPs (unsurprisingly). I wish I could type people using physics but I can't lol.

You must be a true chameleon if your friends are all that different, yeah?

HEY WTF!!! THERE'S A NEW SMILEY!!! :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

AWESOME :D

i meant by physical appearance ;) i think typing people by chemistry might work, though. yummy chemicals.

not sure if i'm a true chameleon. i guess there are lots of layers to me. like a shrek. or an onion. whatever.

the other day i was at a table where i felt awkward and instead i ignored everyone and played with my rubik's cube. i think that was a very intp moment.

also, how does it make sense for me to be an xNTP and a 9w8? aren't 9s supposed to be ISFP/ISFJ? wtf. so confusing.

edit: another thing--why are Fs the only people interested in others' feelings? i love playing therapist and understanding people :p i can't deal with over-emotional people though... i like people reflecting on their feelings more? hmm.