• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which is more likely: an INFP who enjoys strategy or an INTP who values feelings?

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I just want to say that I'm pretty convinced that I'm either INFP or INTP, but one thing that bothers me is that there seems to be a strong dichotomy between the two: either you have Ti or Fi, and the opposite function must be very weak.

I think I'm an INFP, but I'm really good with (and enjoy) logical puzzles and problem solving, so I'm not sure whether that's just an anomaly or whether I should really reconsider my type because of it.

What do you guys think?

KDude

I've never read that the opposite judging function is necessarily weak.. it's just another function that isn't as preferred or exercised. It is always there as an alternative or support, not completely non-existent. I suppose just look on what's more common with you.

edit: Another way to look at it is imagine yourself in a new, unfamiliar situation where you could draw upon either approach.. which one takes less conscious effort?

Not always easy to figure out though, I understand (I'm confused myself :D).

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, I just want to say that I'm pretty convinced that I'm either INFP or INTP, but one thing that bothers me is that there seems to be a strong dichotomy between the two: either you have Ti or Fi, and the opposite function must be very weak.
Untrue.
Fi isn't the opposite of Ti, Fe is.

FWIW, you read like an INFP.

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh whoops. Right, that makes sense because each person has an inferior function which is directed the other way (introverted needs an extroverted function).

I can sound very technical (I've done research in cognitive psychology), so I'm surprised to hear I sound like an INFP.

Thanks, all 3 of you, for your speedy replies!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think you're an infp...and!! i think lots of nfs use ti and nts use fi...it seems that way sometimes to me....but maybe lots is an overstatement and it's really just that i know like 3 people who seem to. :/

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an INFP who does programming for a living (and enjoys it), so I don't think it's impossible to be INFP and logical/problem-solving. I don't much identify with Te and find the Ti descriptions to be closer to the logical process I seem to use. Whether it's actual Ti or something else depends on what functional model one subscribes to.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wait...so you signed up like a year ago and are just now asking? that's curious.

KDude

Actually...

What is it with T's who are less inclined to tap into their F side? I notice many F's who can pass for T.. While strong T types seem to struggle more with F and might even find it all unnecessary.

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
wait...so you signed up like a year ago and are just now asking? that's curious.

Well, actually I'm pretty active on INFJ forums, but I wanted a second opinion from another community. I hadn't really ever connected with any people here, but I have been aware for some time about the theory.

I hope I'm not seeming sketchy by doing this. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Dying Acedia

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually...

What is it with T's who are less inclined to tap into their F side? I notice many F's who can pass for T.. While strong T types seem to struggle more with F and might even find it all unnecessary.

I'd think it's because lots of schooling and work-related stuff causes F's to need to develop their T, whereas it's pretty easy to get validation and function in the world without ever developing F.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no... no questions you seem very infp to me. :)
was just wondering how that happened...like...a year later remembering an account you had and deciding to ask...i just thought it an odd funny thing...not sketchy tho no worries funny self conscious infp person. :)

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I think I'm an INFP, but I'm really good with (and enjoy) logical puzzles and problem solving, so I'm not sure whether that's just an anomaly or whether I should really reconsider my type because of it.

What do you guys think?

The F/T just indicates preference, not skill. An INTP prefers to use Ti, but that doesn't necessarily mean he/she is super smart. Similarly, an INFP may not prefer to use Ti, but that doesn't mean he/she cannot be good at it.

There are quite a number of INFPs on this forum who have T-type careers in science and technology

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
my infp friend has always been a huge sherlock holmes fan and i have learned to value feelings. but feeling for T is quite different than feeling for F. for feelers the feelings side is pretty constant, but for me logical thinking side is constant. im kind of like trying to figure out what my Ne tells me using logic all the time and thats how i understand whats going on behind the scenes and around me.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
my infp friend has always been a huge sherlock holmes fan and i have learned to value feelings. but feeling for T is quite different than feeling for F. for feelers the feelings side is pretty constant, but for me logical thinking side is constant. im kind of like trying to figure out what my Ne tells me using logic all the time and thats how i understand whats going on behind the scenes and around me.

you said exactly what i was going to go for :)

feelers "feel" pretty much all the time. we're almost always attuned to atmosphere/impression and people dynamics. thinkers "think" all the time. they're almost always attuned to logic and the way things work.

i also do programming and enjoy strategy and logic too, but it's only of good quality when i actually pay attention to it, whereas i "feel" pretty much regardless of whether i want to or not.

Chloe

I also say INFP who enjoys strategy.

And also, it's easier to get away in world with not valuing feelings than with not valuing strategy. There is no feeling class in school, but math is.

I am extreme F, but I am extremely good in math, to the point they say I am completely insane that I dont pursue it--but I dont enjoy it, I used to somewhat, mostly because I was good and feels good to be so good in something, and to figure something what others cant. But as purpose in life - Hah. I couldnt care less to be some great mathematician.

I have very NF goals and interests, for me to be happy I need to make a difference in emotional lives of people.
Also, math is pretty much only place where I am able to be logical, because there I can detach, it's very removed from real life. Other places I cant detach, so I am irrational.

Maybe you should view more at NF vs. NT.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An INFP who enjoys strategy.
This. INTPs tend not to exactly enjoy strategy (they prefer idle analysis and speculation), but INFPs, especially if they're older, could very well enjoy strategy due to inferior Te. INTPs on the other hand, are F-inferior and Fe, so they're not likely to be good at, or comfortable with, exploring their own feelings.