• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you help me type this musician friend?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I recently made friends with this girl who is a musician (she plays piano and Highland bagpipes) and I am very curious about her type.
We get along quite well and conversation is generally easy. I can't seem to type her, she appears to be a very balanced person, like close to 50-50 on most letters except for the Feeling element. I'm pretty sure she is a feeler; she has a good sense of diplomacy and on the fourth time I met her, I shook hands with her and her boyfriend, and she asked :"Would a hug be improper?" and she hugged tight. She's quite sweet and generous.

I asked her if she was an introvert after her boyfriend teased her about being a bit shy and giving the call so softly when they are on a parade as a marching band -she leads the Montreal Pipes and Drums band. She answered that her mom said she was. But she seems quite comfortable around people and is involved in a lot of musical projects with all kinds of musicians. She eats music for breakfast, you can tell she's passionate.
She has studied arts and is now doing a degree in musical composition. She also gives music lessons.

About her way of dressing (if this can give you any kind of hint), when she isn't wearing a kilt and sporran, she dresses sober with a touch of originality (cargos or jeans with a special printed t-shirt). She has a few sober piercings but never has any make-up on.

My guess is ISFP, ISFJ (she likes traditional music, being a piper and doing celtic music and stuff) or any kind of NF.

What is your guess?

Last edited:

Poggle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Not really enough to go on, but that doesn't stop the extreme ENFP cat that is Poggle... :)

E/I - Possibly I, on the basis that E's tend to be extremely obvious as E's. If there's any doubt about her being an E (quiet voice in the parade et cetera) then she probably is an I. The obvious question would be what she does after the piping - is it straight home to glass of wine the boyfriend by the fire (I) or out on the lash in the nearest Irish pub with pipers and drummers until all hours of the morning (E)?

S/N - Really can't call this one on the info given. When she writes her own music, does she do it on the page first (in which case S) or does she improvise away on the pipes until something comes to her (in which case N).

F/T - F most likely. A T would not ask you about a hug they'd simply just do it or not.

J/P - Probably J from the way you describe her, which is organised rather than impulsive.

So, based on the info to hand IxFJ but I'm sure a few further meetings will tell you whether or not this is right.

KDude

^I think you might be off on the S/N description :) S conceptualizing isn't that disassociated with improvising. That's generally how things materialize for them (music or otherwise). Not by conceptualizing or writing things down.. umm.. unless of you have a Si type in my mind when you think of S. Perhaps some STJ musicians would like to take a Te approach and plan a lot of things (and even write...I dunno, maybe not), but SPs prefer the act of performing and working things out as they go along.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I don't know how she goes about writing music, only that she told me about the software their school is using and the mathematical order of notes (that was an exercise she had to do with her composition). She played a bit of it for me. I asked her if she "heard" the music in her head, she said she had heard that part that she played. It sounded a bit dreamy, like a film score. Her father once told me "she thinks in musical notes." She seems to analyze music a lot when she's hearing it.

About Extraversion/Introversion, it is quite confusing. You wouldn't feel that she is an extravert looking or speaking to her, but one of the characteristics of extraverts is that they feel energized by meeting people and being in a group. She seems to really like that and loves meeting new people. Although it might have something to do with her growing up an only child in the suburbs and needing to make connections with new people. I don't know.

My friend has a deviantart page. Would you be able to tell by looking at her art and favourite artwork?

JennaD123 on deviantART

I think she has a thing for icons and symbols. She saw one of my paintings and said: "I wish I used more symbolism in my work."
I had an NT vibe about her at first, but she has an obvious social/ feely/ considerate side.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I asked her to pass an online test on similarminds.com.

She is ISTJ. Probably one of the most considerate ISTJs I've met. :)