• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I INFJ or INTJ?

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have taken various free personality tests and always come up with either INTJ or INFJ. Just wondered which of these people thought me more likely to be, or am I just a hybrid straddled between the two (if such a thing is possible).

Relevant characteristics - my potential 'T' ness -
- I loved Maths at school. I disliked Art. I still find it difficult to enjoy or appreciate art.
- I am very logical and love logic, especially when it is in an abstract context. I study Philosophy at university, I like the logic side of it best probably.
- I tend to view the world in a scientific way. I am not mystical and do not believe in any kind of psychic dimension. I am interested in evolution and am always wondering why we evolved in certain ways. I see the world as deterministic, and believe firmly in the influence of genetics on our lives.
- I dont always pick up on unsead signals from other people in a social context (that may be just because I am sometimes socially uncomfortable). I tend to take people literally and at face-value, and am not very good at spotting people lying.
- Manners are not something which I find terribly important. I'm generally not bothered whether someone thanks me or whether cashiers smile at me. I hate to upset people though, so I am usually paranoid about my own manners around others. I hate to be rude. I wish manners came easier to me.

My potential 'F' ness
- I love to be creative, and my favourite form of this is creative writing. I really enjoy it. I liked English (the creative side) at school. I also really loved Drama.
- Science was always one of my least favourite subjects at school. I found it extremely dry and impersonal. I really found very little interest in it. I am still not interested by most science. I couldn't care less about space launches and mixing chemicals and protons and electrons.
- I am an emotional person. I tend to get feelings about people, about whether I am compatible with them, and listen to those. I tend to get strong emotions about whether I am enjoying something, or not.
- I get emotionally overwhelmed sometimes, and cry reasonably often. I cried recently at my Grandads funeral, whom I only see a few days a year and am not particularily close to.
- I am quite sentimental, and romantic. I am prone to descending into romanticized fantasy.
- I really hate it when people look down on others. I detest bullies, and love to stand up for people being bullied.
- I am deeply affected by music. It is almost like a drug for me. I actually got addicted to my iPod at one stage.
- I have an extremely thin skin (not sure if this is specific to Fs).

My dad is an ENTJ, and my mum is an ENFP. Any thoughts?

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's possible to be a split of the two. A lot of people can be a split between preferences.

So, judging by you evidence, you are probably a hybrid. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have taken various free personality tests and always come up with either INTJ or INFJ. Just wondered which of these people thought me more likely to be, or am I just a hybrid straddled between the two (if such a thing is possible).

Relevant characteristics - my potential 'T' ness -
- I loved Maths at school. I disliked Art. I still find it difficult to enjoy or appreciate art.
- I am very logical and love logic, especially when it is in an abstract context. I study Philosophy at university, I like the logic side of it best probably.
- I tend to view the world in a scientific way. I am not mystical and do not believe in any kind of psychic dimension. I am interested in evolution and am always wondering why we evolved in certain ways. I see the world as deterministic, and believe firmly in the influence of genetics on our lives.
- I dont always pick up on unsead signals from other people in a social context (that may be just because I am sometimes socially uncomfortable). I tend to take people literally and at face-value, and am not very good at spotting people lying.
- Manners are not something which I find terribly important. I'm generally not bothered whether someone thanks me or whether cashiers smile at me. I hate to upset people though, so I am usually paranoid about my own manners around others. I hate to be rude. I wish manners came easier to me.

My potential 'F' ness
- I love to be creative, and my favourite form of this is creative writing. I really enjoy it. I liked English (the creative side) at school. I also really loved Drama.
- Science was always one of my least favourite subjects at school. I found it extremely dry and impersonal. I really found very little interest in it. I am still not interested by most science. I couldn't care less about space launches and mixing chemicals and protons and electrons.
- I am an emotional person. I tend to get feelings about people, about whether I am compatible with them, and listen to those. I tend to get strong emotions about whether I am enjoying something, or not.
- I get emotionally overwhelmed sometimes, and cry reasonably often. I cried recently at my Grandads funeral, whom I only see a few days a year and am not particularily close to.
- I am quite sentimental, and romantic. I am prone to descending into romanticized fantasy.
- I really hate it when people look down on others. I detest bullies, and love to stand up for people being bullied.
- I am deeply affected by music. It is almost like a drug for me. I actually got addicted to my iPod at one stage.
- I have an extremely thin skin (not sure if this is specific to Fs).

My dad is an ENTJ, and my mum is an ENFP. Any thoughts?

My mom is an INTJ, my son is an INTJ, and I am an INFJ, with good use of Te. If you are going between INTJ/INFJ (and I detected some 'S' in your statements.......), I'd say more likely INTJ. I say this because your decriptions are sensitive for both, but specific to INTJ, because you cannot be the bolded and still be very INFJ, as that is sort-of our hallmark.

Furthermore, it is a myth that INTJ's are heartless; those from bad homes or uprbringings or whatever can be, but there is a ying/yang quality to the emotions of the healthy INTJ; hard/soft; cold/hot; uncaring/caring; angry/happy; apathetic/loving; insensitive/sensitive.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with aprodite, I think INTJ is more likely

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Totally INTJ. I don't even know exactly why I get such strong INTJ vibes off of you, but I do.

As far as the creativity thing, Ni is very creative... and the dominant function for both INFJs and INTJs. And it's not like INTJs don't have feelings. My INTJ ex had lots of feelings and could be very sentimental. Both INTJs and INFJs are very thoughtful, focused and quietly intense people. (This is why I love them.)

I'd guess one way to differentiate would be to look at your worst behaviors. You can clearly differentiate between INFJ and INTJ in extreme behaviors. For example, when you are at your worst, do you have a tendency to be a callous dick or to be a "big ole' woman." (Relax INFJs... I'm speaking in hyperbole to make a point.)

Finally, I suggest that any ambiguity regarding your type will be cleared up if you learn about the MBTI dynamic model which talks about hierarchies of functions. (Read more about this here.)

INFJ— Ni > Fe > Ti > Se > Ne > Fi > Te > Si
INTJ— Ni > Te > Fi > Se > Ne > Ti > Fe > Si

Note that the major difference between INTJs and INFJs is that their auxiliary function is Te and Fe respectively. If I were you, I'd read up on Te and Fe and then see which you are more prone to tap into.

hybrid_rainbow

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with the responses so far. I'm an INFJ who's in the science/engineering field. I love math and logic. I think an INFJ can express a lot of things you listed under the "T" category. In fact, I that an INFJ can sometimes appear to be an INTJ if he/she has a high J preference.

I think you're an INFJ simply because of the last 4 or 5 things you listed about yourself in the "F" category. I've known a lot of INTJs and they would never say such things about themselves.

I guess the basic question you have to ask yourself is what motivates you to do the things you want to do with your life? Does that motivation come from some rational place? Or does it come from an emotional place. For example, I work in scientific research because in the end, I want to make people's lives better (specifically, I want to help them not suffer cancer). And it's completely emotionally driven. So how about you?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with the responses so far. I'm an INFJ who's in the science/engineering field. I love math and logic. I think an INFJ can express a lot of things you listed under the "T" category. In fact, I that an INFJ can sometimes appear to be an INTJ if he/she has a high J preference.

I think you're an INFJ simply because of the last 4 or 5 things you listed about yourself in the "F" category. I've known a lot of INTJs and they would never say such things about themselves.

I guess the basic question you have to ask yourself is what motivates you to do the things you want to do with your life? Does that motivation come from some rational place? Or does it come from an emotional place. For example, I work in scientific research because in the end, I want to make people's lives better (specifically, I want to help them not suffer cancer). And it's completely emotionally driven. So how about you?

hybrid_rainbow makes a very good point. Even though I do get an INTJ vibe off of tommyc, it's also true that I wouldn't have expected an INTJ to post such comments.

Plus, I think it's important to note that male INFJs have unique challenges. They are born into a society that encourages them to be as un-INFJ as possible. I think this means that some male INFJs work very hard to strengthen their T capabilities. This could be at play here.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for all your input. I think I'm marginal between T and F, whichever way I look at it. After reading this...

In the INTJ pattern, the tertiary process is for introverted Feeling. Thus, they habitually consider importance and worth, clarify values, and decide whether something is of significance and worth standing up for. ("This doesn't match our priorities so we should refuse that assignment.") They have a strong sense of what's important to them or the project. Sometimes they can be seen as "selfish."

In the INFJ pattern, the tertiary process is for introverted Thinking. Thus, they habitually analyze. They devote energy to deciding whether something fits a framework or model, and will often clarify definitions to get more precision. ("Let's define our terms before we get more deeply involved in this conversation.") They enjoy categorizing, and figuring out underlying principles. Sometimes they can be seen as "critical."

... I'd say I'm more likely INFJ. But its certainly very close. I'll think of myself as INxJ until I get a bit more experienced about myself and understand me a little better.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a male INFJ. You seem slightly more INTJ to me.

Here are a couple of thoughts:

- I love math too and I was good at it. F doesn't stand for illogical. And T people have feelings too, and a desire for love/romance just like any other human being. So, these things don't really count when I'm thinking about type.
- In my experience, INFJs keep an open mind to those "psychic dimensions" and mysticism, because there are still tons of secrets to be uncovered. Also, INFJs are defenders of the underdogs, so they are likely to support unpopular views. Sometimes just for the sake of reminding others that there are other possibilities.
- Maybe you cried at your grandad's funeral, because the hidden feelings came to you as a surprise? F people are likely spending more time attuning to their own feelings. INFJs tend to do that beforehand via "what if" speculations. Maybe Ts have more suprises in the feeling arena?

Have you always felt that you don't fit in? Isolated? A hermit, an outcast? Male INFJs face some rather unique challenges.