• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Matthew

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
For anyone here who remembers me, I suppose I'll give an explanation for my mostly-unexplained hiatus. I could go into a long story, but I'll keep it short and say that I subscribe more to Socionics and my personality theory time has been mostly devoted away from MBTI.

The reason I'm back, at least for a sliver of time, is to again attempt to ascertain my MBTI type after having spent time away from the theory. In Socionics, my typing is a rather solid LII, (INTj or TiNe, for those not familiar with the theory) and I especially identify with the Socionics' descriptions of Ne, for what it's worth. These days, while they're both based on Jung's work in some form or another, I see them as two separate entities and am willing to hear the possibility that my types in each system don't closely "correlate."

Anyways, that's the pertinent information for those of you I've interacted with before and remember me from past experiences here. For those of you thinking "who is this guy?" I'll digress into a brief but hopefully meaningful self description.

As for my background, I'm strict about not giving away my age online, but I will divulge that I am a full-time student as to give an accurate fix on what stage I am in life.

At this point, I'll delve a little into my belief system to perhaps give you all a perspective on how my mind works. In the metaphysical context, I classify myself as an atheist, although, using a strict technical definition, I'd be an agnostic. I follow a Dawkins-esque idea that, given the modern understanding mankind has, the most rational conception of a "god" or supernatural being is a "god of the gaps," and that this interpretation pails in comparison to the belief that there are no gods. From my understanding of social anthropology, I see religion as a conception in early man's mind as an attempt to explain what he could not fully explain, thus allowing his mind to be at ease. That said, I entirely disagree with theists on a intellectual level, but I do believe that, as an idea, religion was a psychologically beneficial idea to adhere to when the "god of the gaps" still had a lot of territory to inhabit, and I do have a great deal of respect and admiration for the philanthropic pillars of the major of the world's major religions.

Away form metaphysics and onto the level of personal philosophy, I describe myself as a sort of "hedonistic existentialist." I resonate strongly with the idea that it is the responsibility of each individual to assign meaning to his or her own life. To this end, I accept that there likely is only one life, and, in that life, I try create a "happy" existence for myself, for lack of a less vague term. When I find something particularly enjoyable or fulfilling, I have no problem indulging into that until such feelings fade away. That being my philosophy on a more abstract level, on a slightly more concrete level, I mostly disassociate from modern consumerist values as they are mostly unfulfilling and create only a temporary high, but I do prefer a well-off standard of living and am by no means an ascetic.

My long rant finished, I've been mulling over a few MBTI types for anyone here to consider, namely:
INTP
ISTJ
ENTP
INTJ
INFP
ISTP

I am fully open to questions and will attempt to answer them as openly as possible without jeopardizing my online identity security. I'm currently not debating my beliefs as outlined above simply out of concerns for time, but I'm more than aware that most any person without a sense of mindlessly following what they read will have struck at least some dissonant chord with what I'm written.

Thanks for reading,
Matthew

G

garbage

You always seemed like a pretty cool ISTJ to me. At the very least, the fact that you get more into your personal philosophies than into details of your personal life is pretty telling.

dunno, you give off a different sort of vibe than the INTPs do. I sure do wish that I could ask some meaningful questions about it..

Maybe this: Do you struggle with explaining your thoughts and conclusions--finding appropriate wording and so on--or do you feel like you have a pretty linear thought pattern that can be pretty easily laid out step by step?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Do you struggle with explaining your thoughts and conclusions--finding appropriate wording and so on--or do you feel like you have a pretty linear thought pattern that can be pretty easily laid out step by step?

If the two possible conclusions offered here are meant to be, at least mostly, mutually exclusive, I can't say I lean too far in either direction. On one hand, I'm completely a proponent of the notion that words are only a representation of an idea and, like any representation, cannot capture the essence of what they represent fully. On the other hand, I prefer to believe that, when necessary, I can explain myself very concisely and accurately, being able to choose good words to express the attitude I'd like to convey. When explaining things to others, however, I prefer to explain one "tried and true" method, while I personally may use others. An example of this would be in giving directions: I prefer to simply have a map with points A and B marked on them to later snake my route, while when directing others I will draw in the least confusing route and indicate important landmarks.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For anyone here who remembers me, I suppose I'll give an explanation for my mostly-unexplained hiatus. I could go into a long story, but I'll keep it short and say that I subscribe more to Socionics and my personality theory time has been mostly devoted away from MBTI.

The reason I'm back, at least for a sliver of time, is to again attempt to ascertain my MBTI type after having spent time away from the theory. In Socionics, my typing is a rather solid LII, (INTj or TiNe, for those not familiar with the theory) and I especially identify with the Socionics' descriptions of Ne, for what it's worth. These days, while they're both based on Jung's work in some form or another, I see them as two separate entities and am willing to hear the possibility that my types in each system don't closely "correlate."

Anyways, that's the pertinent information for those of you I've interacted with before and remember me from past experiences here. For those of you thinking "who is this guy?" I'll digress into a brief but hopefully meaningful self description.

As for my background, I'm strict about not giving away my age online, but I will divulge that I am a full-time student as to give an accurate fix on what stage I am in life.

At this point, I'll delve a little into my belief system to perhaps give you all a perspective on how my mind works. In the metaphysical context, I classify myself as an atheist, although, using a strict technical definition, I'd be an agnostic. I follow a Dawkins-esque idea that, given the modern understanding mankind has, the most rational conception of a "god" or supernatural being is a "god of the gaps," and that this interpretation pails in comparison to the belief that there are no gods. From my understanding of social anthropology, I see religion as a conception in early man's mind as an attempt to explain what he could not fully explain, thus allowing his mind to be at ease. That said, I entirely disagree with theists on a intellectual level, but I do believe that, as an idea, religion was a psychologically beneficial idea to adhere to when the "god of the gaps" still had a lot of territory to inhabit, and I do have a great deal of respect and admiration for the philanthropic pillars of the major of the world's major religions.

Away form metaphysics and onto the level of personal philosophy, I describe myself as a sort of "hedonistic existentialist." I resonate strongly with the idea that it is the responsibility of each individual to assign meaning to his or her own life. To this end, I accept that there likely is only one life, and, in that life, I try create a "happy" existence for myself, for lack of a less vague term. When I find something particularly enjoyable or fulfilling, I have no problem indulging into that until such feelings fade away. That being my philosophy on a more abstract level, on a slightly more concrete level, I mostly disassociate from modern consumerist values as they are mostly unfulfilling and create only a temporary high, but I do prefer a well-off standard of living and am by no means an ascetic.

My long rant finished, I've been mulling over a few MBTI types for anyone here to consider, namely:
INTP
ISTJ
ENTP
INTJ
INFP
ISTP

I am fully open to questions and will attempt to answer them as openly as possible without jeopardizing my online identity security. I'm currently not debating my beliefs as outlined above simply out of concerns for time, but I'm more than aware that most any person without a sense of mindlessly following what they read will have struck at least some dissonant chord with what I'm written.

Thanks for reading,
Matthew

Dude, the spews forth little streams of INTP that circle continuously around the solar system, raining down in droplets on the majestical stars of the heavens. No ISTJ. no S, definite INT. The P/J is harder to tell, I'm guessing P, but J is very possible.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Dude, the spews forth little streams of INTP that circle continuously around the solar system, raining down in droplets on the majestical stars of the heavens. No ISTJ. no S, definite INT. The P/J is harder to tell, I'm guessing P, but J is very possible.

Would you have a suspicion on how to type J/P?