• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So I've got I and T... but not so sure about the rest...

What type do you think I am?

• INFP (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTP (Please explain)

• ISTP (Please explain)

• ISTJ (Please explain)

• INTJ (Please explain)

• Other

• Total voters

zhandao

MBTI Type
xxxx
Okay, I need some help here. I know *for sure* that I am Introverted and Thinking. Now, the other two, I'm not so sure.

Sensing vs Intuition:

I used to test S and lately I've been testing N, but usually it's VERY borderline. Well, I'm not a good "here-and-now" observer. I typically miss out on everything - sight and sound (and smell because I have horrible allergies) - when I have a goal I'm trying to focus on. When I'm looking for something, I always can't find it and it's always right under my nose. When someone's talking to me I almost always miss words or phrases or misunderstand what they're saying.

I get "sensory overload" also. I love automobile racing, and when I play games like Gran Turismo I can tell exactly what's going on and act perfectly. But when I go out and autocross in my Miata (time trials in a course marked by cones in an open lot) I get confused by all the G-forces and loose-tight feelings.

On the other hand I'm not so sure about N either. Mainly, I don't understand how you can get info through Intuition. I'm big on T, so in order to come up with logical conclusions, don't you need facts, not gut feelings? I don't know. In terms of patterns I have pretty good number sense (like, what comes next in a certain series of numbers), but I don't know if that's N or my experience in doing a lot of math just letting me see things quicker. Likewise, I can pick up new skills very fast, and I am a very quick learner in school (second year of college right now, btw), but is that N or just very fast T?

Now, I do default on speaking in generalities rather than specific details. On essays I always write out the general noncontradicting concepts that frame my argument rather than describe specific anecdotes and that has given me many bad grades in high school history (I was in IB, so harsh grading). I always have to know the concept when I'm learning a new topic, rather than just accepting the given equations as they are and using them when I don't understand what they're doing. I don't know if this is pro-N or anti-N because sometimes I have a hard time trying to grasp the concept (big example: electromagnetism in Physics), but it just feels wrong to work out problems when I don't understand the concept. I like learning when it's about understanding a hard concept and I hate-hate-HATE route memorization.

Judging vs Perceiving:

This is worse than S-N. I test my J-P so close that it's basically 50-50. It was 53% J and 47% P on one test.

Now, I like things orderly; they just don't turn out that way. I hate being late and it gives me horrible anxiety, but I tend to be late more often than not because I procrastinated trying to finish an interesting problem, a videogame, a TV show, etc. I hate routine but sometimes I plan things because I'm really excited about it. And then I'm stubborn as hell so that when I get attached to a plan I get very POed when the plan changes or falls through.

My room is a "clean mess." I have piles of stuff, but in a way that I (usually) know where something is. Again, I would greatly prefer that everything was clean and proper, but it just doesn't seem that important and I'm lazy, so it doesn't turn out that way. Did I mention I procrastinate? I'll spend the entire day playing videogames and then stay up the rest of the night starting and finishing my homework because the pressure finally kicked in.

I guess this all seems very P but the thing is, I really fear the unexpected. It's probably my worst fear. I'm shy when meeting new people, shy when joining new groups, when trying new things, etc., etc. So my life actually ends up rather the same, day-to-day, rather than being spontaneous and free.

I've also looked specifically at just the type descriptions. I agree with everything the INTP profiles say, but looking at the INTJ reminds me that a lot of the time I want to do more than just *think*. For example, while being a theoretical physicist or a philosopher really appeals to me, I would much rather also use my mind to solve real world problems as well. Right now my ideal career would be a race car engineer/designer, where I can come up with amazing ideas and theories and then put them to the test. Actually, what would be the best would be being a race car driver, finding the best strategies to pass all my rivals and using the knowledge of physics and automobile dynamics to perfect my driving (though... there's probably a lot less T involved and more conditioned physical instinct in racing a car, unfortunately).

I used to test ISTJ in grade school, but it doesn't really make sense. Sure, I believe in loyalty and faithfulness, but just... not that much. ISTP is probably one of those types I want to be. Adventuresome, attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving... Yes, I am definitely attracted to stuff like that (see being race car driver above) but I end up not doing so because I'm more fearful than courageous enough to do those things.

Besides type inventory, I should describe aspects of my personality in general. I think it's pretty obvious I like cars and video games the most, and I like reading fiction as well. In terms of video games I like RPGs the most, followed by FPSes. I'm not super-good in terms of twitch-based games. You may say, "But FPSes are twitch games!" Yes, but I tend to play them strategically (and also why I almost never play linear FPSes single-player). In, say, Battlefield 2142, I'm usually the sniper, finding a nice hiding & sniping spot so that I'm killing my enemies by outsmarting them. Or I play support and find a solid defensive point where I can start firing on intruders before they even see me. I am awful at run-and-gun, because I can't react fast enough to shoot someone before they kill me. It might be surprising, then, when I say I like Quake 3, but that's because with the rocket launcher it becomes more of a game of quickly predicting rocket angles and trajectories and which way the enemy is going to bounce away from the splash damage.

I like RPGs the most, though, Western cRPGs to be specific, like Fallout and Planescape Torment. The reason behind this is that they allow me to inject myself as a character into a different world, where I can do things not possible in reality. Being a master swordsman or powerful wizard are some basic examples, but there are also fantastical situations in these games which I can explore or decide the fate of. Mainly, it's escapism, being myself in another world but having skills or traits I would like to have and then interacting with a realistic world which I shape while it shapes my character.

I'm horrible with RTSes, though. Twitch-gameplay with masses of units I have to control AND micromanage =(. I'm much better with TBS like chess, where I have the time to consider everything logically, or even just with RTSes in single-player where it's pauseable.

And I said I like fictional books. I like sci-fi and fantasy, mainly. My favorite books right now are by Dan Simmons - books like Hyperion and Ilium, where there's a crazy unexplained mystery situation that demystifies into an "excellent" logical reason behind everything. I like fantasy for a similar reason, as magic is always a mystery element, but in these tales I also like the strong heroic and self-sacrifice actions that turn out to be so poignant.

So... have at it and type me!

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
You don't *have* to have a preference. If you think your're middle of the road on something, so be it. You're an IxTx, that's fine.

alicia91

Hi there - I have no answers for you since I'm very new to MBTI, but I wanted to let you know that you are not the only one around here with this problem!

I've decided to spend some time exploring all of this and researching (my specialty!) and am currently using my original post in this section as kind of a journal of my findings. At this point you are ahead of me since I only feel confidant of E(weak)-?-?-?

BTW - I have the exact same J versus P issue. I desperately WANT order and cleanliness but I have trouble achieving it myself (I delegate this to my family). Someone pointed out in my thread that this "frusterated perfectionism" is a J trait (P's wouldn't care). But then I've also heard that you gotta go with what you naturally DO - and not what you WANT. So who the heck are all the 'help you get organized' books appealing to if P's wouldn't care and J's already naturally are good at it? ha ha

Good luck with it and have fun in the process!

Alicia

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It sounds as though you can figure this out, if you can determine your temperament. I have plastered the test in other threads, but this one seems to work very well. I would not be surprised if you result in NT/SP preference.

From your statement that you prefer T and I, you never say that you actually prefer Ti as your dominant function. A little hint: "Ti and Ni are often accompanied by a sense of detachment and disconnection. With both there tends to be comfort with complexity. The difference is that when we are engaging in Ti, we usually have a clear sense of the principles or models something is judged against, whereas with Ni an impressionistic image forms in the mind." This statement is from "Dynamics of Personality Type: Understanding and Applying" by Linda V. Berens.

When you say that you want to know the concept, it sounds as though you are saying that you want to know the basic principles (a Ti trait). However Ni types do learn through understanding the concepts. Determining your temperament and interaction style will put you in the right direction, which right now seems apparent from your disclosure.

Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, I need some help here. I know *for sure* that I am Introverted and Thinking. Now, the other two, I'm not so sure.

Sensing vs Intuition:

I used to test S and lately I've been testing N, but usually it's VERY borderline. Well, I'm not a good "here-and-now" observer. I typically miss out on everything - sight and sound (and smell because I have horrible allergies) - when I have a goal I'm trying to focus on. When I'm looking for something, I always can't find it and it's always right under my nose. When someone's talking to me I almost always miss words or phrases or misunderstand what they're saying.

I get "sensory overload" also. I love automobile racing, and when I play games like Gran Turismo I can tell exactly what's going on and act perfectly. But when I go out and autocross in my Miata (time trials in a course marked by cones in an open lot) I get confused by all the G-forces and loose-tight feelings.

On the other hand I'm not so sure about N either. Mainly, I don't understand how you can get info through Intuition. I'm big on T, so in order to come up with logical conclusions, don't you need facts, not gut feelings? I don't know. In terms of patterns I have pretty good number sense (like, what comes next in a certain series of numbers), but I don't know if that's N or my experience in doing a lot of math just letting me see things quicker. Likewise, I can pick up new skills very fast, and I am a very quick learner in school (second year of college right now, btw), but is that N or just very fast T?

Now, I do default on speaking in generalities rather than specific details. On essays I always write out the general noncontradicting concepts that frame my argument rather than describe specific anecdotes and that has given me many bad grades in high school history (I was in IB, so harsh grading). I always have to know the concept when I'm learning a new topic, rather than just accepting the given equations as they are and using them when I don't understand what they're doing. I don't know if this is pro-N or anti-N because sometimes I have a hard time trying to grasp the concept (big example: electromagnetism in Physics), but it just feels wrong to work out problems when I don't understand the concept. I like learning when it's about understanding a hard concept and I hate-hate-HATE route memorization.

Besides type inventory, I should describe aspects of my personality in general. I think it's pretty obvious I like cars and video games the most, and I like reading fiction as well. In terms of video games I like RPGs the most, followed by FPSes. I'm not super-good in terms of twitch-based games. You may say, "But FPSes are twitch games!" Yes, but I tend to play them strategically (and also why I almost never play linear FPSes single-player). In, say, Battlefield 2142, I'm usually the sniper, finding a nice hiding & sniping spot so that I'm killing my enemies by outsmarting them. Or I play support and find a solid defensive point where I can start firing on intruders before they even see me. I am awful at run-and-gun, because I can't react fast enough to shoot someone before they kill me. It might be surprising, then, when I say I like Quake 3, but that's because with the rocket launcher it becomes more of a game of quickly predicting rocket angles and trajectories and which way the enemy is going to bounce away from the splash damage.

I like RPGs the most, though, Western cRPGs to be specific, like Fallout and Planescape Torment. The reason behind this is that they allow me to inject myself as a character into a different world, where I can do things not possible in reality. Being a master swordsman or powerful wizard are some basic examples, but there are also fantastical situations in these games which I can explore or decide the fate of. Mainly, it's escapism, being myself in another world but having skills or traits I would like to have and then interacting with a realistic world which I shape while it shapes my character.

I'm horrible with RTSes, though. Twitch-gameplay with masses of units I have to control AND micromanage =(. I'm much better with TBS like chess, where I have the time to consider everything logically, or even just with RTSes in single-player where it's pauseable.

And I said I like fictional books. I like sci-fi and fantasy, mainly. My favorite books right now are by Dan Simmons - books like Hyperion and Ilium, where there's a crazy unexplained mystery situation that demystifies into an "excellent" logical reason behind everything. I like fantasy for a similar reason, as magic is always a mystery element, but in these tales I also like the strong heroic and self-sacrifice actions that turn out to be so poignant.

So... have at it and type me!

The bolded parts virtually scream "N" to me... and I relate to a lot of other parts.

I still don't know if you're J or P, though.

zhandao

MBTI Type
xxxx
It sounds as though you can figure this out, if you can determine your temperament. I have plastered the test in other threads, but this one seems to work very well. I would not be surprised if you result in NT/SP preference.
Hah, I have NT first and then SP second based on that test. :D I'm also highly strategic and tactical (respectively), and knowledge and authority -centered (respectively, again). Expertise led for leadership orientations but they were all pretty similarly rated... Not that surprising because I have little or no leadership experience.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think you're an INTJ.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
In case of doubt, a possible way to find out is reading type descriptions. I have close S/N and P/J scores too, but after having read and compared descriptions of ISTP ISTJ INTJ and INTP it was crystal to me...

zhandao

MBTI Type
xxxx
Rawr...

I've discussed this for a while at INTPc - and thought about it constantly in my spare time - and I'm gonna go with INTP for now. Or rather, Intp. Mainly, I'm leaning towards Ti over Te because I spend a lot of brainpower trying to understand things that I do rather than just doing/planning. The CognitiveProcesses.com test I've taken a few times show that my Te is quite strong, almost secondary to my Ti, and I don't disagree with that, but I think I am more satisfied using Ti than using Te in most, if not all, situations.

I'm also leaning towards Ne because I'm pretty sure my Se and Ni are quite weak. And although I rely on Si frequently, I think I use it in a negative fashion and I have a horrible memory, so if anything it could very well be the Tertiary function of the INTP - especially considering that I prefer Ti over Te.

On the other hand I am having thoughts that my Fi may be strong in me, too. Mainly, one of my first instincts is to try to understand any situation through Ti, but on the other hand I do have desires to become "better" in many aspects. I still would rather default to using logical reasoning for any given situation, but I wonder if that itself is an Fi ideal that I hold myself to.