• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Following the Trend...S/N Problems

WTF is 'dis bitch's type?

• ISTP

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • INTP

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't give a rat's shit about your type!

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm going to add to the recent spate of S/N confusion threads and request that you, my sweet, dear readers, tell me whether you think I'm more ISTP or INTP. It's been suggested before on this forum that I kind of seem S-ish, so I thought I'd ask widely.

Since my last "type me! Please type me!" thread was a bomb (probably because I didn't include any detail and I'm not all that well known 'round these parts), I'm including a list for people to work with. And a poll. 'Cause I love polls. Keep in mind that some of the stuff I'm including will be pretty heavily reliant on stereotypes about the types, but there's really no getting around that using the forum-typing method. So forgive me if some of the things that I say sound stupid; I'm just trying to list anything I can think of to support the functions.

So, ISTP defense:

- I enjoyed and played a lot of sports when I was younger, and was known for being quite athletic and outdoorsy.

- I've been complimented before for my alertness and observational skills.

- I am quite impulsive and live, to a good degree, in the hear-and-now.

- I like to drive to relieve stress, and I drive faster and more aggressively than most people that I know.

- I can be quite crude and vulgar, and I have what is commonly referred to by large-hipped, uptight mother types as a "potty mouth."

- I have always had a problem with authority, though not to a large enough degree to make me a real criminal. The worst that I do is sometimes shoplift (mostly for the challenge) and fail to pay my traffic tickets (or parking tickets) or appear in court.

- I enjoy observing my surroundings when I'm out and about.

- I like observational drawing.

- I can often enjoy films purely for their aesthetic.

- I can sometimes take things a little literally.

INTP defense:

- I like to fantasize and daydream. A lot. In fact, the fantasizing can be almost crippling.

- My students have complained about my manner of speaking being too abstract. In fact, a few of them even said that they wished I would put things in more concrete rather than "philosophical" terms.

- My interests are, and have always been, theoretical and conceptual in nature. That's why I went to grad school in the humanities.

- I have been called "quick witted" and "clever." I am good at banter and repartee, though I avoid getting too "silly." I like it when the banter is sarcastic and borderline-mean rather than whimsical.

- I wanted to be an inventor when I was a small child.

- I am clumsy and can get lost in thought. It's why I've been in two auto accidents - not paying attention.

- I am not in the least practical in my day-to-day life, though I like to think that I'm pretty good at giving practical advice.

- I spend most of my day coming up with different scenarios for my future and fantasizing about what it'd be like to be in those scenarios.

- I really do spend a good portion of each day thinking about type theories, and have done so for a good two years now (save a couple month period where I was bogged down with work and didn't have time to think about anything that I liked.)

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me out.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
S and N does seem really tricky for you... You may be the kind of ISTP like ptgatsby. How do you relate to him?

How about the interaction styles and temperaments?

4temperaments.com -- Understanding Temperament Theory
Best-Fit Type : Exploring the Multiple Models of Personality Type <- how about the profiles on there?

Also, I didn't know you were a teacher. :)

Does S and N seem tricky because of my forum behavior or because of my list? Or both?

The only thing I really remember about ptgatsby, off of the top of my head, is that his tendancy to post long, statistical explanations for everything was tiresome to me. I usually skipped his posts. But the ones that I did read always seemed logical to me, I guess. Maybe I'll go and stalk his profile and read old posts.

I've read the stuff from the links you posted before. But I just read them again and found that while I relate to the Theorizer temperament description more than the Improviser, I equally relate to the INTP and ISTP profiles from the second link.

And yeah, I've taught for two years now as a TA. They rip us off and make us teach independent classes.

KDude

i'm just as confused, but i voted INTP anyways: you're very verbose ;)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does S and N seem tricky because of my forum behavior or because of my list? Or both?

Both generally. You could be an IS_P kinda like me, stuck in a JiNi rut (to lead you to think that you're an NP), or you could just be a different INTP. You've just never really seemed to be like the other INTPs on here really, you seem to have much more of an edge.

How do you relate to the ISTP girls on here?

I've read the stuff from the links you posted before. But I just read them again and found that while I relate to the Theorizer temperament description more than the Improviser, I equally relate to the INTP and ISTP profiles from the second link.

hmm, well it's clear you're definitely Ti dominant then and pretty balanced in S/N.

And yeah, I've taught for two years now as a TA. They rip us off and make us teach independent classes.

That sucks. =\

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
i'm just as confused, but i voted INTP anyways: you're very verbose ;)

Haha, thanks for voting! It seems that I can be either very verbose or very succinct, but never really in between.

Both generally. You could be an IS_P kinda like me, stuck in a JiNi rut (to lead you to think that you're an NP), or you could just be a different INTP. You've just never really seemed to be like the other INTPs on here really, you seem to have much more of an edge.

It's interesting that you say the bolded. The people IRL that I've asked have said nearly the same thing. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly do you mean by "edge?" I can never get anyone that tells me this to give a decent explanation of what they mean.

How do you relate to the ISTP girls on here?

I'm not really familiar with many of them, but the ones I have encountered seem more carefree and live-and-let-live than I am. I rarely see them in any sort of extended arguments. I, by contrast, enjoy arguments on here, even the trollish ones.

hmm, well it's clear you're definitely Ti dominant then and pretty balanced in S/N.

That's about the only thing I'm sure of. I guess I'll have to live with the "balanced" answer until life experience makes one or the other type more obvious.

That sucks. =\

Indeed. :yes:

Thanks for the replies, BTW.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's interesting that you say the bolded. The people IRL that I've asked have said nearly the same thing. If you don't mind my asking, what exactly do you mean by "edge?" I can never get anyone that tells me this to give a decent explanation of what they mean.

You seem to be pretty blunt about the obvious facts (or seemingly obvious) when you're arguing, and it seems like you get enjoyment out of arguing in an Se kind of way (within the current context). Along with being blunt you seem to not be all that carefree, you seem to be a serious person and you like to be taken seriously. You also just don't really seem to have much Ne, I don't see much coming from you. How do you relate to Ni vs Ne?

Also from what I've seen you don't seem to really... I dunno... you just aren't as NTish as the NTs on here, you seem to be apathetic about a lot of NTish things.

Keep in mind it's about 4 am and I'm crashing from having too much caffeine; lol.

What DO you relate to anyway? Who in particular? Any famous people that have been interviewed, etc?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You seem to be pretty blunt about the obvious facts (or seemingly obvious) when you're arguing, and it seems like you get enjoyment out of arguing in an Se kind of way (within the current context). Along with being blunt you seem to not be all that carefree, you seem to be a serious person and you like to be taken seriously. You also just don't really seem to have much Ne, I don't see much coming from you. How do you relate to Ni vs Ne?

Yeah, this is all true. I do enjoy arguments for the hell of it, and I've been called overly blunt IRL as well. And you're right, I'm definitely more of a serious person. But I always related more to Ne than to Ni, so I don't know. In fact, I've never related to Ni that much, even when I considered that I might be INTJ.

Also from what I've seen you don't seem to really... I dunno... you just aren't as NTish as the NTs on here, you seem to be apathetic about a lot of NTish things.

I s'pose.

Keep in mind it's about 4 am and I'm crashing from having too much caffeine; lol.

Lol, yeah, I'm going to sleep after this post as well.

What DO you relate to anyway? Who in particular? Any famous people that have been interviewed, etc?

I'd have to think about that and get back to you when I'm next awake. I don't usually relate to most celebrities or television personalities, or anyone I've seen give a public performance of any type. I'll see.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I s'pose.

YOU SPOSE???? k

godddd I'm tired.

I'd have to think about that and get back to you when I'm next awake. I don't usually relate to most celebrities or television personalities, or anyone I've seen give a public performance of any type. I'll see.

idk it seems like a lot of people have some popular figure, movie character or whatever that they can relate to. Maybe even a forum member that you relate to?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm going to add to the recent spate of S/N confusion threads and request that you, my sweet, dear readers, tell me whether you think I'm more ISTP or INTP. It's been suggested before on this forum that I kind of seem S-ish, so I thought I'd ask widely.

Since my last "type me! Please type me!" thread was a bomb (probably because I didn't include any detail and I'm not all that well known 'round these parts), I'm including a list for people to work with. And a poll. 'Cause I love polls. Keep in mind that some of the stuff I'm including will be pretty heavily reliant on stereotypes about the types, but there's really no getting around that using the forum-typing method. So forgive me if some of the things that I say sound stupid; I'm just trying to list anything I can think of to support the functions.

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me out.

- I am quite impulsive and live, to a good degree, in the hear-and-now.

- I spend most of my day coming up with different scenarios for my future and fantasizing about what it'd be like to be in those scenarios.

The first of these is applicable to either type. Both ITPs have extroverted percieving, which is present orientated. Introverted percieving, which handles temporal planning, is tertiary in both cases. However INTPs use Si, which tends to be more backward looking, extrapolting from what has happened before to predict the future andd find the safest, most sure path to proceed along.

What you describe in your second point here is actually an Ni out look, picking out a future possibility that seems favourable, then seeking to make it happen. So this actually points towards ISTP more than INTP.

- My students have complained about my manner of speaking being too abstract. In fact, a few of them even said that they wished I would put things in more concrete rather than "philosophical" terms.

- My interests are, and have always been, theoretical and conceptual in nature. That's why I went to grad school in the humanities.

- I really do spend a good portion of each day thinking about type theories, and have done so for a good two years now (save a couple month period where I was bogged down with work and didn't have time to think about anything that I liked.)

The important thing to remember is that your drive to take action comes from your extroverted percieving, not your introverted thinking. When you stop reading your books, musing in your thoughts and actually take action, what are you doing? Are looking to experience the world first hand, explore what's out there and just see what things are like for yourself?

Or are you exploring how the world relates to the abstract ideas that interest you? After you've read about the building of the pyramids of egypt how strong is the urge to go out there and examine them for yourself?To walk around them and live the history? To touch them and feel the connection to the abstract idea of history? That is an Ne attitude. The Se attitude might still want to look at them, but for different reasons. Se might want to see what people can build without the aid of modern equipment, to feel the heat of the desert so you just how hard it would be to work under those conditions. It is interested in the sold aspects of the pyramids existance.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Next.

Made me grin.

Lol, not a good combo :D.

The first of these is applicable to either type. Both ITPs have extroverted percieving, which is present orientated. Introverted percieving, which handles temporal planning, is tertiary in both cases. However INTPs use Si, which tends to be more backward looking, extrapolting from what has happened before to predict the future andd find the safest, most sure path to proceed along.

What you describe in your second point here is actually an Ni out look, picking out a future possibility that seems favourable, then seeking to make it happen. So this actually points towards ISTP more than INTP.

Well I don't so much seek to make anything happen as I do pure musing. And I've always related to Si. I'm pretty sure that has to be somewhere in my top four functions.

The important thing to remember is that your drive to take action comes from your extroverted percieving, not your introverted thinking. When you stop reading your books, musing in your thoughts and actually take action, what are you doing? Are looking to experience the world first hand, explore what's out there and just see what things are like for yourself?

Or are you exploring how the world relates to the abstract ideas that interest you? After you've read about the building of the pyramids of egypt how strong is the urge to go out there and examine them for yourself?To walk around them and live the history? To touch them and feel the connection to the abstract idea of history? That is an Ne attitude. The Se attitude might still want to look at them, but for different reasons. Se might want to see what people can build without the aid of modern equipment, to feel the heat of the desert so you just how hard it would be to work under those conditions. It is interested in the sold aspects of the pyramids existance.

I can't relate to either in your description.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
YOU SPOSE???? k

godddd I'm tired.

idk it seems like a lot of people have some popular figure, movie character or whatever that they can relate to. Maybe even a forum member that you relate to?

Well, if you insist, I suppose that I relate somewhat to these two.

[YOUTUBE="vBulbr4m9BM"]Zooey Deschanel[/YOUTUBE]

I have slightly different mannerisms and don't vary my vocal pitch as much as she does, but I talk just like her. Flat, smartass.

[YOUTUBE="LrYAe7TeIoY"]Kristen Stewart[/YOUTUBE]

And then 'dis bitch (which was weird because I hadn't really seen anything with her since before the last two days.)

I have the exact same facial expressions, mannerisms, posture, and tone (and lower jaw.) I talk slightly different from her, though...less rambling and more thoughtful. But I do it in the same way.

Of course, both of these guys are cooler than I am.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Damn. You really don't like being INTP, eh?

Didn't you try to persuade us you were INTJ before?

Nope. Sorry. THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!!

Pixar_aliens_article_story_main.jpg

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Damn. You really don't like being INTP, eh?

Didn't you try to persuade us you were INTJ before?

Nope. Sorry. THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!!

Pixar_aliens_article_story_main.jpg

:tongue10:

Even you claimed at one point that I could pass for INTJ.

I WILL OVERCOME!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:tongue10:

Even you claimed at one point that I could pass for INTJ.
Yeah but that was before you took the stick out of your butt.

Talking of which, when did you stop being a mod?? ;)

The "ISTP defense" is just not working for me. All those things also apply or have applied to me at some point.

INTPs are rebels too! We're just kinda dorky with it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah but that was before you took the stick out of your butt.

Talking of which, when did you stop being a mod?? ;)

Lol, I stopped being a mod when I was voted out for inactivity. I guess they wanted me to work harder. I was a bad employee.

The "ISTP defense" is just not working for me. All those things also apply or have applied to me at some point.

INTPs are rebels too! We're just kinda dorky with it.

Well I would be a little dorky for an ISTP...

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmmm...I guess INTP is winning. Wir brauchen mehr Stimmen! Mehr!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I struggle with the S/N difference too, especially when viewed from the lens of exhibited behavior. But if we're going to go with motivations, language, and such indicators of temperament, I'd say you're an INTP. You prefer the realm of the abstract and theoretical when it come to your thought processes. One thing I've noticed, is that Ti seems to have a much, much more pronounced "presence" in INTPs than in ISTPs. It shapes us. Se does a lot to take over and balance the Ti dominance I think, so ISTPs tend to be more grounded and less spacey. Although like Blackcat said, you could be the PTgatsby kind of ISTP, one that is incredibly cerebral, but also incredibly detail oriented [which you say you really can't relate to].

For me, the final decisive factor was that I'm just not cool enough to be an ISTP. I don't know you well enough to comment on that part though.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I struggle with the S/N difference too, especially when viewed from the lens of exhibited behavior. But if we're going to go with motivations, language, and such indicators of temperament, I'd say you're an INTP. You prefer the realm of the abstract and theoretical when it come to your thought processes. One thing I've noticed, is that Ti seems to have a much, much more pronounced "presence" in INTPs than in ISTPs. It shapes us. Se does a lot to take over and balance the Ti dominance I think, so ISTPs tend to be more grounded and less spacey. Although like Blackcat said, you could be the PTgatsby kind of ISTP, one that is incredibly cerebral, but also incredibly detail oriented [which you say you really can't relate to].

For me, the final decisive factor was that I'm just not cool enough to be an ISTP. I don't know you well enough to comment on that part though.

Thanks for weighing in! If the bolded is true, then that's a point in favor of INTP for me as well. Whenever I ask anyone that knows about MBTI (I have a few friends and family members who do) about what I appear to be, the most they can ever say definitively is that I have lots and lots of Ti. I seem to over-rely on it.

And yeah, I am definitely not "cool" in the ISTP sense of the word. Both INTPs and ISTPs can come off as quiet, aloof, and detached, but somehow they just "vibe" differently, at least from my observation. ISTPs seem to be so effortlessly chill and "badass." I've been told that I give off more of a straight-up nerd impression.

The only thing is that I've heard that ISTPs can seem a little intense, angry, and edgy underneath their quiet exteriors (sort of like INTJs) while INTPs are more...placid seeming? Or amiably detached? I think I come off more as the angry/intense kind. People always mistake my neutral face for angry and ask me why I'm so pissed and miserable all of the time.

I guess that means that I come off as a nerd bitch (the term reminds me of Liz Lemon's actual revealed demeanor as a high school kid, haha.)