• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or something else?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A problem is that I'm better at figuring out other people than myself.

E or I: I lean more towards E. More people tell me that I talk too much rather than that I talk too little. I often don't think before I speak. I'm the kind of guy who will make a joke or a comment which offends someone with an overly sensitive disposition. I'm comfortable with meeting people I've never met before and am pretty good at sizing people up. I love reading and writing which are typically solitary activities but I love talking about what I'm reading/writing. I can be quiet when I feel that it's in my best interest but when I'm being myself, I'm a big talker. However, if I'm in a social situation which bores me- I'm more eager to get out of it than to "find a way to make it more exciting because it probably wouldn't work anyway".

S or N: This dichotomy confuses me somewhat. I have many "iNtuitive" traits (comfortable with abstract topics, often thinks outside the box). However, I wonder if I'm just a "high-IQ" Sensor. As a Math major in my college, I can't really get interested in many of the more high-brow topics because there often isn't any real way to apply these concepts to reality. It's all theory. I understand it but I'm not thrilled by it. I'm more comfortable dealing with tangible and real things. Some of my clearly Intuitive friends struggle with the abstract topics on an intellectual level but they seem to enjoy dealing with abstract topics and eschew practical concerns completely. (Most of these people are or were humanities majors in college-also they are all NF's, so maybe NT's and NF's just deal with Intuition differently.) I don't trust my gut and will only do something if I think it's reasonable.

T or F: I have strong feelings (but who doesn't?). I understand that not everything I do is for rational or logical reasons. However, I feel most comfortable dealing with things logically and what boils my blood the most is seeing someone do something which is unreasonable AND which harms others. I often act on an image of being "overly polite", especially around people I have no desire to offend and have often been called the nice guy relative to some other guys who are definitely Feelers. I've thought about being an F but I think I'm a T. I tend to be very argumentative and often get too much into the spirit of an argument and forget about the feelings of the person I'm arguing with. I have a competitive streak. The whopping majority of my friends who I've introduced to typology think I'm a T. I'm very loyal to the people I care about and I think the worst thing someone can do to somebody is to lie to them. I take pride in my honesty.

J or P: I'm disorganized. I'm bored and irritated with routine. However, I'm an organized thinker. I don't always enjoy following the rules but I like knowing what the rules are. When doing something that is important to my future, I like having some kind of plan to rely on. I'm generally easygoing and adventurous. However, I am also fastidious about cleanliness. This is for practical reasons though because I catch colds and other viruses easily, so I take extra measures to avoid getting sick. I like being busy and often take on a lot of duties. I don't actively seek leadership positions but when I end up in one, I tend to be very organized and results-focused. I don't procrastinate. I don't want to screw up. I think I tend to be more of a J when dealing with other people but a P when dealing with myself.. if that makes any sense. I think, overall, I'm more of a P.

So thoughts?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENTP, although I wouldn't rule out ESTP.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'high-brow topics' though.
If you're talking about anything abstract in math, I'm not sure many people (including iNtuitives) are fans of that.

Just look at me! I tie in S and N, but they are also both my inferior and superior functions, whether I type myself as ENTP or ESTP.

Plus a lot of people who are originally ENTP might be mistyped that way and are actually ESTPs.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
By high-brow topics, I mean topics like abstract algebra and analysis. I couldn't get excited about either of these classes and found some of the applied classes to be more interesting. I prefer problem solving to proving theorems.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
By high-brow topics, I mean topics like abstract algebra and analysis. I couldn't get excited about either of these classes and found some of the applied classes to be more interesting. I prefer problem solving to proving theorems.

Honestly, I don't think they're all that exciting either :sick:
But that's too little of an example to be stating whether you're an S or an N.
Ask yourself, are you more detail-oriented, or idea oriented?
Generic questions like these might help.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Honestly, I don't think they're all that exciting either :sick:
But that's too little of an example to be stating whether you're an S or an N.
Ask yourself, are you more detail-oriented, or idea oriented?
Generic questions like these might help.

I can be detail-oriented and am going into a very detail-oriented field: accounting. However, I'm primarily idea-oriented, I'm always thinking about the future and what I can do to improve things ten years from now rather than just looking at tomorrow. I guess that helps me lean more towards N.

Lucky_Rabbit

MBTI Type
iNTp
Enneagram
IDK
U might be an INTP. DO you like to be around large groups, or when ur alone do u like to find social interaction or do something to benefits ur self socially

Liesl

Well, first of all, I can see ENTP as a good starting guess for you based solely on the vibe I'm getting from your post. However, type isn't meant to be broken down into single letters like that. I would advise you to try to type yourself based on temperament and which cognitive processes you're the most comfortable with.

First of all, read the temperament descriptions here: Myers-Briggs Temperaments

Figure out whether the 'action seeker' temperament or the 'knowledge seeker' temperament fits you better. And remember that MBTI isn't about what you can do. We all use all of the functions and have aspects of all of the temperaments. MBTI is about what you can't live without.

Then confirm it by reading the descriptions of the cognitive processes here:

Myers-Briggs Typology System

Which processes are you most energized by? Ne and Se are actually harder to differentiate than one would guess. Sometimes I feel like I'm using Se because I'm in the moment, noticing the possibilities and feeling stimulated by them...but Se is tied to immediate action. You're stimulated, and you react to it. With Ne, it's more like, you're stimulated, and suddenly, you get lost in the implications of that. You can definitely find someone on this forum to explain the processes better to you, it's not my strength!

PS: Compare the way you interact to other ENTPs and notice what's similar and what's different about your interaction styles...that can be helpful too for figuring out whether it's really your type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
One thread is enough, merged.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Well, first of all, I can see ENTP as a good starting guess for you based solely on the vibe I'm getting from your post. However, type isn't meant to be broken down into single letters like that. I would advise you to try to type yourself based on temperament and which cognitive processes you're the most comfortable with.

First of all, read the temperament descriptions here: Myers-Briggs Temperaments

Figure out whether the 'action seeker' temperament or the 'knowledge seeker' temperament fits you better. And remember that MBTI isn't about what you can do. We all use all of the functions and have aspects of all of the temperaments. MBTI is about what you can't live without.

Then confirm it by reading the descriptions of the cognitive processes here:

Myers-Briggs Typology System

Which processes are you most energized by? Ne and Se are actually harder to differentiate than one would guess. Sometimes I feel like I'm using Se because I'm in the moment, noticing the possibilities and feeling stimulated by them...but Se is tied to immediate action. You're stimulated, and you react to it. With Ne, it's more like, you're stimulated, and suddenly, you get lost in the implications of that. You can definitely find someone on this forum to explain the processes better to you, it's not my strength!

PS: Compare the way you interact to other ENTPs and notice what's similar and what's different about your interaction styles...that can be helpful too for figuring out whether it's really your type.

This is useful, thanks! I think I'm more of a "knowledge seeker" than an "action seeker" simply because the "action seeker" gets most of his or her stimulation from physical pursuits while the "knowledge seeker" looks for whatever would be a "learning experience"- whether it's physical/mental etc..

rhinocub

MBTI Type
ESFP
A problem is that I'm better at figuring out other people than myself.
not only you )) it's a common case. It is a sequences of System Theory. A system can be understood by itself.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can be detail-oriented and am going into a very detail-oriented field: accounting. However, I'm primarily idea-oriented, I'm always thinking about the future and what I can do to improve things ten years from now rather than just looking at tomorrow. I guess that helps me lean more towards N.

You dislike abstract math and LIKE accounting? :thelook:

I would've majored in Math if it weren't for the extreme impracticality of doing so! Accounting is my major, which makes me want to jump into a black hole, but for the sake of career use, it was either that or Nursing. :17425:

From just this post, you're a Sensor, and if you're into accounting, statistically most likely an ESTJ.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I like accounting to dislike abstract math too, although for that reason I never would have studied it, doesn't make someone a sensor though.

Anyhoo you don't "vibe" as ENTP, Mondo. Kinda read as ISTP to me.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7

I would've majored in Math if it weren't for the extreme impracticality of doing so! Accounting is my major, which makes me want to jump into a black hole, but for the sake of career use, it was either that or Nursing. :17425:

From just this post, you're a Sensor, and if you're into accounting, statistically most likely an ESTJ.

Math is actually very practical, in terms of finding a job. Corporations have been looking at my math major very positively. My school doesn't have an undergrad business school..

Why can't an Intuitive be into accounting?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I like accounting to dislike abstract math too, although for that reason I never would have studied it, doesn't make someone a sensor though.

Anyhoo you don't "vibe" as ENTP, Mondo. Kinda read as ISTP to me.

I know "vibes" can be hard to explain but if you can explain it all, what else gives you an ISTP "vibe"?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
U might be an INTP. DO you like to be around large groups, or when ur alone do u like to find social interaction or do something to benefits ur self socially

I like large groups and am energized by them. It depends on if the social situation is fun or not. Not all social situations are fun and some are boring.
I don't like to be bored.

Liesl

I like large groups and am energized by them. It depends on if the social situation is fun or not. Not all social situations are fun and some are boring.
I don't like to be bored.

I feel exactly the same way. I think that's Ne talking.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I know "vibes" can be hard to explain but if you can explain it all, what else gives you an ISTP "vibe"?

ENTPs are Ne doms, ESTPs are Se doms, therefore I suspect most times those who are confused about their S/N are something else. ISxx types can appear more sociable and chatty to others than INxx types. You come across as more practical than theoretical. It's just a suggestion though, based only on what is in this thread.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Math is actually very practical, in terms of finding a job. Corporations have been looking at my math major very positively. My school doesn't have an undergrad business school..

Why can't an Intuitive be into accounting?

^ Maybe that's why they favored your Math degree. Since your school doesn't offer business degrees, companies figure that you must have the analytical skills that are needed for jobs in finance anyway.

And sure, Intuitives can be into accounting. ESTJs can be into poetry. It can be, and frequently is, done. But by-and-large, it's not the general occurrence, and isn't typically recommended - going by MBTI alone. To succeed at accounting, you really have to nail the details and structure - which SJs are famous for. And it's no coincidence that the field is largely dominated by SJs. (Based on personal observation and actual statistics.) <-- and don't pull out the "three kinds of lies" quote by Mark Twain. :D