• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who thinks I'm a Sensor? Line forms to the right.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wait just a sec, there is a whole thread about you wanting to be a sensor now.
Ahh now it makes sense why you changed your preferences before.
I'm glad you came to your senses and are happily very ENFP, doesn't it feel good, like a great pair of designer shoes. :)
CalvinPicasso003.jpg

:D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ha ha thank you synapse :hug:

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ha ha thank you synapse :hug:

muhahaha I know this could continue, tries to put on my devils advocate hat. :devil:
*weakness to hugs*
You are so lucky. ;)

Tries anyway.

How have you concluded you are ENFP?
Give facts to your ENFPness? Situational, you know what do you do that makes you feel ENFP?
During stressful situations are you energised or depleted, if you had to make a public presentation, would you hesitate or accept?

How do you express your intuition? Do you understand what it means to think intuitively, are you guided by your intuition in the decision making process?

How about your emotions? Do you speak with emotions, rationally, both? How much is the scale for you to express your thoughts in an emotionally intuitive way? Is there a difference between emotional intelligence and logical intelligence, which do you prefer?

How are you able to differentiate between sensory perception and intuitive perception? When you are perceiving are you discriminatory in your choices rather than judgmental? Are you open to experience and have an open ended way of looking at things?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok guys I've made a firm decision this evening that I completely and utterly reject function theory, given the newfound realization that it cannot be based upon temperament, interaction style, observable behavior, or brain scan. I can't get behind anything that proposes to know someone's brain functions without any regard for observable behavior.

You don't know how your own mind works? Why do you need external evidence?
The theory concerns thought processes, not behavior or interaction style. Do you not grasp your own reasoning behind your behavior and interaction? It's the way you reason and the way you "see" things mentally that indicate your cognitive processes. I see these thought processes in people all the time. To be sure, it is not tangible or measurable in any concrete way, but it is apparent. Even moreso is my own thought process apparent to me.

Have you ever just contemplated how your thinking works, before it becomes action or is verbalized? Then you compare your thinking to the theory, and see what matches it best. It's not a matter of the theory knowing your thought processes, it's a matter of you knowing them. Try looking inward for the answer, and not outwards. Although, I don't mean to assume you haven't, but from this post I am just guessing that has not been the focus in typing yourself.

Synapse asks some pretty good questions to jog analysis, IMO. You could even try examining your thinking without relating it to MBTI immediately; maybe jot some of the analysis down, and then compare at a later time to function descriptions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm okay well I could try that - the thing is, people type themselves way wrong all of the time.

My original type was INFJ for years and years.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Sure they do, but often it is because they don't understand the theory (still stuck on the 4 letters or whatever), they aren't good at introspection, and/or they look to outward indicators (which can amount to stereotypes). I think maybe some free writing would help (you're a writer, right?). As I suggested, just describe your mind, and then put it aside, & so when you revisit it, you can see it with different eyes, almost objectively. Do you keep a journal of sorts? Have you ever read an old entry and seen your mindset at the time more clearly because you're a bit removed from it now? Something like that can help.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ok. Thank you OrangeAppled. I'll definitely try this.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol following OrangeAppled's suggestion, I found this gem of a journal entry from 2003:

"So I was flipping through the latest issue of Spin (only $8 for a year's subscription!) and noticing gratuitous references to on-line trends such as file sharing, Friendster.com, and the return of Napster. Suddenly a disturbing revelation occured to me: all of the "with it" hipsters are on the Internet and only dorks who are behind the times get this info from magazines. When did this 180 in youth culture take place? But nevermind. There's more important things to think about. Like my low-paying job.

My manager, whom we'll refer to as Peg Leg, is drunk with the power of ruling over surly teenagers and underachieving adult losers. I know this because he uses up an astonishing amount of his paltry brain thinking up more interesting ways to cover my innocent little lizard tattoo, such as wrapping my forearm in a ripped piece of beige material (circa World War II) and fastening it up with safety pins and scotch tape. You're right, Peg Leg! That looks so much more professional! Peg Leg often speaks of firing employees for such dastardly crimes as putting too much mozzerella cheese on the pizzas. How dare those damn kids attempt to make our cardboard-like food product more appetizing for the customer? And Baby Boomers wonder why Generation X has such low ambition about stepping up and taking their own petty, meaningless position in a world ruled by salaried robots, such as our friend Peg Leg.

Working with children isn't nearly as bad as I first assumed it might be. In fact, tolerating the kids is a breeze compared to dealing with their yuppie parents. Imagine three women, dressed head to toe in Tommy Hilfigger clothing, who have also never worked a day in their life, blaming me for out of stock items at the prize counter. Glaring, one rather plain 30-something Summerlin hausfrau assumes her irritating role, not as a parent but as a fucking breeder and sighs, "You get the kids hopes up and then let them down." Oh! You're absolutely right madam! I am single-handedly responsible for the American greed culture that entitles your spoiled brats to think that they deserve every little piece of crap created by a seven year old in a Thai sweat shop for two cents per day that they set their beady little eyes upon! I'm also responsible for the decisions of a corrupt, monster corporation that "cares" so much about it's clientele that they don't even bother to keep coveted items in stock. Yes! That's right! Take it out on me, a helpless cog in the wheel of Capitalist, consumer-driven culture that doesn't even make enough money to reasonably live on. Meanwhile, when Peg Leg the drooling mongoloid is called over for assistance, the women begin behaving like polite adults instead of the overgrown adolescents that they obviously are.

However, my job is easy compared to many and I should be thankful that I am even working in a time when so many cannot find employment. As long as I wear my war-wound bandage and stick to the cut tables, everything will be o'tay!"

lol I know this has nothing to do with analyzing my functions

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ Sure they do, but often it is because they don't understand the theory (still stuck on the 4 letters or whatever), they aren't good at introspection, and/or they look to outward indicators (which can amount to stereotypes). I think maybe some free writing would help (you're a writer, right?). As I suggested, just describe your mind, and then put it aside, & so when you revisit it, you can see it with different eyes, almost objectively. Do you keep a journal of sorts? Have you ever read an old entry and seen your mindset at the time more clearly because you're a bit removed from it now? Something like that can help.

Well I definitely see FP when I look at all of my old journal entries - an insistence that life is a series of images, feelings, perceptions...essentially moments of consciousness and doesn't have a particular goal, and that art should reflect that. Also an insistence that art or writing should be "gritty and real" rather than socially acceptable or prettied up. Lots of focus on fantasy, though, and acknowledgment of my own idealistic nature. Statements like "my imagination controls me, I don't control it." This may suggest NFP, as well as observing a perspective shifting within my own entries surrounding my own opinions - like I would state a strong philosophical or social opinion, but then turn around and view it from a different angle and marvel at the paradox within the same paragraph...but isn't that Ni, not Ne? Lots of self-reflection, trying to figure myself out (Fi). But details of sensory experience in writing could be Si, not Se. Lots of emphasis on metaphor as well as sensory description. The statement "sometimes memory is the best fantasy" sounds like Ne, Fi, and Si, probably.

I see a jumping from idea to idea, making random connections, within the same journal entry too. Repeatedly. Probably Ne. What if this, what if that.

Definitely NFP, I'd say. Don't know that I see ENFP or INFP, though, honestly.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
muhahaha I know this could continue, tries to put on my devils advocate hat. :devil:
*weakness to hugs*
You are so lucky. ;)

Tries anyway.

How have you concluded you are ENFP?
Give facts to your ENFPness? Situational, you know what do you do that makes you feel ENFP?
During stressful situations are you energised or depleted, if you had to make a public presentation, would you hesitate or accept?

I have no problem doing public speaking, but I don't like to be "on" every day. That would be hellish. Also, I think I am more depleted and want to hide when I'm stressed, which seems more like an Introvert trait.

How do you express your intuition? Do you understand what it means to think intuitively, are you guided by your intuition in the decision making process?

How about your emotions? Do you speak with emotions, rationally, both? How much is the scale for you to express your thoughts in an emotionally intuitive way? Is there a difference between emotional intelligence and logical intelligence, which do you prefer?

How are you able to differentiate between sensory perception and intuitive perception? When you are perceiving are you discriminatory in your choices rather than judgmental? Are you open to experience and have an open ended way of looking at things?

I looked through my old journal entries at OrangeAppled's suggestion and answered these questions in my last post, sort of.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I have no problem doing public speaking, but I don't like to be "on" every day. That would be hellish. Also, I think I am more depleted and want to hide when I'm stressed, which seems more like an Introvert trait.

I looked through my old journal entries at OrangeAppled's suggestion and answered these questions in my last post, sort of.

Strangely reading that particular passage I thought of ENFJ. Timeless made a visual representation of personalities somewhere and when I looked at them I saw patterns and could tell who didn't seem energetically like their personality. Come to think of it you do have that mischievous twinkle I saw when I worked with an ENFJ girl once. Although statistically I would have to know more than one person to know. And yet you do have that awesome ENFP quality about you. :yes:

Besides OrangeAppled has a point about about thoughts and interactions.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I definitely see FP when I look at all of my old journal entries - an insistence that life is a series of images, feelings, perceptions...essentially moments of consciousness and doesn't have a particular goal, and that art should reflect that. Also an insistence that art or writing should be "gritty and real" rather than socially acceptable or prettied up. Lots of focus on fantasy, though, and acknowledgment of my own idealistic nature. Statements like "my imagination controls me, I don't control it." This may suggest NFP, as well as observing a perspective shifting within my own entries surrounding my own opinions - like I would state a strong philosophical or social opinion, but then turn around and view it from a different angle and marvel at the paradox within the same paragraph...but isn't that Ni, not Ne? Lots of self-reflection, trying to figure myself out (Fi). But details of sensory experience in writing could be Si, not Se. Lots of emphasis on metaphor as well as sensory description. The statement "sometimes memory is the best fantasy" sounds like Ne, Fi, and Si, probably.

I see a jumping from idea to idea, making random connections, within the same journal entry too. Repeatedly. Probably Ne. What if this, what if that.

Definitely NFP, I'd say. Don't know that I see ENFP or INFP, though, honestly.

I hear a lot of "should be" and "could be". Make of that what you will....I'm coming from my own bias.

How's your understanding of cognitive theory? What have you read?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hear a lot of "should be" and "could be". Make of that what you will....I'm coming from my own bias.

Should be and could be? I'm basing this upon pages and pages of journal entries that I didn't post here, not that one little anecdote that I found it amusing to share and not too personal to be revealing.

As for my understanding of cognitive theory, it's mediocre I'm sure.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Strangely reading that particular passage I thought of ENFJ. Timeless made a visual representation of personalities somewhere and when I looked at them I saw patterns and could tell who didn't seem energetically like their personality. Come to think of it you do have that mischievous twinkle I saw when I worked with an ENFJ girl once. Although statistically I would have to know more than one person to know. And yet you do have that awesome ENFP quality about you. :yes:

Besides OrangeAppled has a point about about thoughts and interactions.

Maybe I AM INFJ after all, because I ain't no fucking ENFJ. My best friend from high school and my ENFJ sister make me look a like a mute, a curmudgeon, a loner, and a hermit in comparison to their constant socializing and effortless management of other people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm taking a full week off from the forum.

This is ridiculous.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm taking a full week off from the forum.

This is ridiculous.

Um yeah I started talking crap. Stay as you are please. hahah its like this thread has turned into a horror film. Itches need exploring, you've itched your knee, now off with you. :D

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I was also going to say that while I was going through phases in my development I'll call it, my health was shonky. And were I to read my own passages from blogging once awhile ago they would read like SJ/NJ. And I always thought that maybe I could be INFJ because of the level of detail and listings and analysis I wrote that was unlike me prior to this and pre those days of long ago. Ah yeah apologies for the confusion there I was in a confused mood and that was naughty of me to have tried to explore this some more. And confuse you more. So take much of everything with a grain of salt and instead of trying to understand you, meditate. :D

And find the source of your intuition and what feels right, rather than exploring with your minds intuition determine what it would be like to think with the hearts intuition. I think a lot of people self doubt while thinking from the mind and miss what the heart is saying in an intuitive way. Like some native amaricans would say to the westerners why worry, when you analyse with your heart worries go away and your intuiting in the present. When you analyse with your mind your self doubting and confused of what your saying and the confusion could become endless and when you analysing with heart intuition I think the mind becomes more present and understands in a way unlike when the heart and mind are in conflict of each other. :thumbup:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No need to apologize Synapse it wasn't you lol. I just meant it was ridiculous for me to question my type so much. It was also good for me to stay away from the forum for a few days!

I did think about something, though. I remember as a twenty/twenty-one year old actually being a bit of a social orchestrater and being far more social than I am now, and actually taking an interest in pushing other people socially or even "helping" my friend get rid of a guy she didn't like anymore by hanging out with him platonically to distract him.

Then again, I also remember being 22 and saying "I hate my friends" (not my real friends, but the people I went to parties with) and suddenly avoiding most of them.

I am very affected by "emotional atmosphere" as well but that may just be an F thing.

In any event, I seem to do things which probably would be indicative of extroversion OR Fe, even though I'm not very social now that I'm older, I suppose. I've been told that being social has nothing to do with extroversion anyway, but I do really need one-on-one contact with people, it's not as though I ever want to be COMPLETELY isolated for very long.

Take this forum, for example, it seems at times I primarily use it to socialize.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think if we look at functions I was more frightened or bored of a T function than an S function as a younger person (thus probably making either Te or Ti as my inferior, even though I have better use of it now than I'm older...I think it's a good idea to keep in mind that I'm old enough probably to be in touch with my inferior, more than I was as a teen or very young adult.)

One of the reasons why function theory is so annoying to me is because the same mindset could be explained away by different combinations of functions.

I do think I have more Si than Se, for whatever it's worth.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I also want to re-address this after a few days distance. Are you simply suggesting more Fi than Ne? I just want to clarify.