• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

....I'm sorry I have to do this....INTJ or INFJ?

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I've been lurking the forum for quite a while and I think that I finally have reached a point where I'm so biased in my perception of myself that I won't get a good answer from looking inward any more lol. Well, I think I'm Ni dominant and I would have to be Se inferior which leaves me with two possible choices, INTJ and INFJ. I've been around both INTJs and INFJs (on their respective forums) and I feel that I fit in and, at the same time, I don't really. I know both types are very rare but even my friends who knows quite a bit about MBTI says he can't really place me (He being an INFJ.) I have to much "F" in his opinion to be an INTJ but I don't seem to have the emotional quality that INFJs tend to have (My writing isn't filled with emotions and in real life, I can be both quite expressive and quite quaint when it comes to my emotions.)

A few things about me:

• I love science, I tend to excel at Biology, Chemistry, and I have a deep seated love for physics (despite knowing nothing about doing it. It just seems so...useful and esoteric! It's quite beautiful in a way, knowing how the universe works)

• I love people. I know people. Even before I had the option of studying psychology in high school, I loved the idea of knowing how people would react and helping them understand themselves and how others perceive them. I have a deep seated interest in people and I'd like to die knowing that I helped out humanity in some way.
  • I'm somewhat emotional. I can have very intense nearly paralyzing feelings at times (Though this is not often.) With that being said, I understand that sometimes feelings should not be my focus at times and that I have to swallow my pride and work through it (For example, if I'm feeling sad, that doesn't mean I can stop going to work)
  • I'm sensitive towards others, when I plan events, I want everyone to have fun. I've been told I'm a really good listener and that I don't judge people.
  • I don't tend to like conflicts but with that being said, I have a really bad tendency to not back down. My best friends tend to call me an "Unemotional, argumentative, asshole"
  • I love helping out people and such but I have to focus on myself as well. You can't help anyone if you yourself aren't in the right place to begin with.

• Feelings might not be logical, but they have to be included in any plan that involves anyone else.
And...this might be a bit awkward, but I actually have a list of hobbies that I'm interested in, maybe my hobbies will point you in a particular direction!

Tennis. (I already play tennis, I just want to get better)
Swimming. (Swimming is fun and healthy!)
Photography (I like taking pictures and encapsuling a moment of time in a picture but I can't see myself being a photographer. It would distance me from life to much)
Programming (I use computers frequently, I'd like to be able to write my own programs and such)
Building computers (See programming)
Experimental rocketry (My friend actually got me interested in this, I just think it's a pretty neat thing to do.)
Robotics (See experimental rocketry)
Fencing (I fell in love with this sport the first time I saw it at the olympics. I can't tell you why. It's just interesting to me. It's the only sport that I haven't even played that I'm interested in)
Video gaming (I used to be a big gamer. I was pretty decent too. I tend to like RPGs and such)
Viola (I play a lot of instruments but I finally want to master one (or two) and I think the sound of a stringed instrument is pretty and also, since orchestras require stringed instruments usually and not brass instruments which i play as well, I'd be getting the best of both worlds: Both strings and brass (and woodwind)
Bicycling (I just like biking)
Canoeing (I went conoeing once and I loved it. Seems like a fun thing to do)
Rock climbing (I went rock climbing once and I loved it. The combination of the exertion and the fulfillment you get when you reach the top is like nothing else. It also helps that my body type is built for it. )
Reading (I don't read much actually, outside of the internet)
Story telling (I would like to be able to tell a good story.)

And that's it! So guys....tell me what you think. I'm also willing to answer questions as well. You guys are doing me a big favor! Thanks

(Sidenote: People tend to think I am INTJ, followed by INFJ (closely), followed by INTP, followed by INFP. Just for references sake)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Frankly I see Fi and Fe, Ti and Te in there. Either type could easily fit. Balanced INFJ seems just a tiiiny bit more likely, but I'm not sure.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Frankly I see Fi and Fe, Ti and Te in there. Either type could easily fit. Balanced INFJ seems just a tiiiny bit more likely, but I'm not sure.

Oh god...looks like I broke it. Why does Balanced INFJ seem more likely? I'm not actually sure what a balanced INTJ or balanced INFJ would look like, most INTJs/INFJs that I've met are around my age (teenage) and they all seem to heavily prefer their first two functions. It's actually bothersome. Some INTJs go on this hellbent drive to make everything logical and some INFJs feel the need to accommodate for everyone and dream about sweet perfect worlds and ignore everything that isn't a part of that, like other peoples opinions.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I see INFJ. An interest in science is common among INFJs, and many go on to make great doctors, scientists, etc. The fact that you love people, are sensitive, emotional, etc. are indicators that you might be an INFJ.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
INTJ
* Able to absorb extremely complex theoretical and complex material
* Driven to create order and structure from theoretical abstractions
* Supreme strategists
* Future-oriented
* See the global, "big picture"
* Strong insights and intuitions, which they trust implicitly
* Value their own opinions over others
* Love difficult theoretical challenges
* Bored when dealing with mundane routine
* Value knowledge and efficiency
* Have no patience with inefficiency and confusion
* Have very high standards for performance, which they apply to themselves most strongly
* Reserved and detached from others
* Calm, collected and analytical
* Extremely logical and rational
* Original and independent
* Natural leaders, but will follow those they can fully support
* Creative, ingenious, innovative, and resourceful
* Work best alone, and prefer to work alone

INFJ
* Intuitively understand people and situations
* Idealistic
* Highly principled
* Complex and deep
* Natural leaders
* Sensitive and compassionate towards people
* Service-oriented
* Future-oriented
* Value deep, authentic relationships
* Reserved about expressing their true selves
* Dislike dealing with details unless they enhance or promote their vision
* Constantly seeking meaning and purpose in everything
* Creative and visionary
* Intense and tightly-wound
* Can work logically and rationally - use their intuition to understand the goal and work backwards towards it

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh god...looks like I broke it. Why does Balanced INFJ seem more likely? I'm not actually sure what a balanced INTJ or balanced INFJ would look like, most INTJs/INFJs that I've met are around my age (teenage) and they all seem to heavily prefer their first two functions. It's actually bothersome. Some INTJs go on this hellbent drive to make everything logical and some INFJs feel the need to accommodate for everyone and dream about sweet perfect worlds and ignore everything that isn't a part of that, like other peoples opinions.
Well, a balanced INFJ would be more Thinking than a regular INFJ, as they'd have a strong tertiary function. As the INFJ thinking function is Ti, this would make the INFJ in question more inquisitive, more deductive and more pragmatic than they otherwise would be. A balanced INTJ, by contrast, would be more Feeling than other INTJs; this taking the form of a stronger tertiary Fi. These INTJs tend to be more introspective, more romantic and passionate, and more sensitive to criticism. INTJs are actually the Thinking type most likely to be emotional, and the one most likely to be Enneagram 4 (the Romantic). An example of a balanced INTJ would be the Count of Monte Cristo (INTJ 4w3), and a perfect illustration of a balanced INFJ would be Patrick Jane from the Mentalist (INFJ, 5w6).

Your OP seems to give both Fe/Ti signals (inquisitiveness, concern for the well-being of others, emphasis on feelings when a plan involves others rather than when it involves yourself), as well as Te/Fi (introspection; discipline, powering through your feelings; abrasive, confrontational nature despite yourself). I guessed INFJ over INTJ simply because your overall tone indicates Fe/Ti over Te/Fi -- meekness, trepidation about how we'll react. I'm basically going on the "vibe" I get from you, you seem more INFJ than INTJ.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
Well, a balanced INFJ would be more Thinking than a regular INFJ, as they'd have a strong tertiary function. As the INFJ thinking function is Ti, this would make the INFJ in question more inquisitive, more deductive and more pragmatic than they otherwise would be. A balanced INTJ, by contrast, would be more Feeling than other INTJs; this taking the form of a stronger tertiary Fi. These INTJs tend to be more introspective, more romantic and passionate, and more sensitive to criticism. INTJs are actually the Thinking type most likely to be emotional, and the one most likely to be Enneagram 4 (the Romantic). An example of a balanced INTJ would be the Count of Monte Cristo (INTJ 4w3), and a perfect illustration of a balanced INFJ would be Patrick Jane from the Mentalist (INFJ, 5w6).

Your OP seems to give both Fe/Ti signals (inquisitiveness, concern for the well-being of others, emphasis on feelings when a plan involves others rather than when it involves yourself), as well as Te/Fi (introspection; discipline, powering through your feelings; abrasive, confrontational nature despite yourself). I guessed INFJ over INTJ simply because your overall tone indicates Fe/Ti over Te/Fi -- meekness, trepidation about how we'll react. I'm basically going on the "vibe" I get from you, you seem more INFJ than INTJ.

I see, I see, thank ye! Also, about the opening post and how the forum would receive it, I really didn't actually care much. In other words, I wasn't all too concerned, if people responded then that's great, if people didn't respond then that was fine as well. I made the thread title in humor. It's also a bit funny, many of the INFJs on the INFJ forum tend to not get an INFJ vibe from me. With that being said, I know it's best not to compare yourself to others in the MBTI system. It's only about how you think.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You really, really could be either type from what you've said about yourself so far. Just go with the one you identify with most. ;)

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
You really, really could be either type from what you've said about yourself so far. Just go with the one you identify with most. ;)

Just to note: Aleksei and I talked on aim yesterday and he now thinks I'm an INTJ for assorted reasons.

Liesl

I'd love to hear his reasons. From what you've posted, you do not sound like an INTJ.

Edit: Also, NFs can be interested in science/math/engineering too. Believe me. I was that type of NF.

Last edited:

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'd love to hear his reasons. From what you've posted, you do not sound like an INTJ.

Edit: Also, NFs can be interested in science/math/engineering too. Believe me. I was that type of NF.

IIRC, the main crux of why I'm an INTJ is the way I use Te more than Ti. Ti seeks to gain knowledge for the sake of knowledge. I tend to gain knowledge not for the sake of knowledge in itself, I tend to gain knowledge so that I will be aptly prepared for the future. That seems to show that I use more Te than Ti. I'm kinda shocked by the overwhelming INFJ response I'm getting lol. Most people tend to peg me as an INTJ (on the INFJ forum, of course. The INTJ forum tends to think I have to much F for them so I get INFJ from them lol) I tend to see Fe as a function that is based around the accommodation of other people, and that's something I really don't believe. The only person in life that you HAVE to take care of is yourself and you really can't help anybody if you're always bending over backwards to make them "feel" better. Sometimes tough love is what you need.

also, I know that NF can be interested in anything they turn their mind too.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
INTJ
* Able to absorb extremely complex theoretical and complex material
* Driven to create order and structure from theoretical abstractions
* Supreme strategists
* Future-oriented
* See the global, "big picture"
* Strong insights and intuitions, which they trust implicitly
* Value their own opinions over others
* Love difficult theoretical challenges
* Bored when dealing with mundane routine
* Value knowledge and efficiency
* Have no patience with inefficiency and confusion
* Have very high standards for performance, which they apply to themselves most strongly
* Reserved and detached from others
* Calm, collected and analytical
* Extremely logical and rational
* Original and independent
* Natural leaders, but will follow those they can fully support
* Creative, ingenious, innovative, and resourceful
* Work best alone, and prefer to work alone

INFJ
* Intuitively understand people and situations
* Idealistic
* Highly principled
* Complex and deep
* Natural leaders
* Sensitive and compassionate towards people
* Service-oriented
* Future-oriented
* Value deep, authentic relationships
* Reserved about expressing their true selves
* Dislike dealing with details unless they enhance or promote their vision
* Constantly seeking meaning and purpose in everything
* Creative and visionary
* Intense and tightly-wound
* Can work logically and rationally - use their intuition to understand the goal and work backwards towards it

Italics = Slightly to usually
Bold = Definitely.

Also, about the sensitive to other people thing: I can be sensitive, I usually am now, but I can turn that off rather quickly. Also, my ennegram type is probably 5w6 with a Sx/Sp/so stacking. 5w4 is possible though. Also, I'm not very emotionally affected by a lot of things. I can see a mountain or landscape that most people would call beautiful and I would not see what the big deal is. Music, though, can get to me every time. IRL, my friends tend to see me as unemotional or emotional in a different way. I supposedly can be very charismatic, quite a few people have told me that I should be a preacher or a public speaker.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd love to hear his reasons.
Well, he isn't really as outwardly concerned as he appears in the OP -- he wrote the title halfway in jest. Most people see him as "cold" and "distant" according to his Nohari. Then there's the fact that according to him his intellectual interests, while broad, are more rooted on what he feels he will need down the road, rather than idle curiosity -- Te, rather than Ti. Be careful not to fall in the trap of typing him a Feeler just because he appears Feeling -- Thinkers have feeling functions and Feelers have thinking functions. INTJs are actually the T type most likely to be emotional (ISTJs have Fi in the same position, but oddly they seem less likely to have it developed).

Definitely INFJ then.
Ouch!

G

Glycerine

INFJ. With strong Ni and Ti, they can appear "cold" and "distant". From what I gather INFJs seem the most T-ish of the F's.

Liesl

Well, he isn't really as outwardly concerned as he appears in the OP -- he wrote the title halfway in jest. Most people see him as "cold" and "distant" according to his Nohari. Then there's the fact that according to him his intellectual interests, while broad, are more rooted on what he feels he will need down the road, rather than idle curiosity -- Te, rather than Ti. Be careful not to fall in the trap of typing him a Feeler just because he appears Feeling -- Thinkers have feeling functions and Feelers have thinking functions. INTJs are actually the T type most likely to be emotional (ISTJs have Fi in the same position, but oddly they seem less likely to have it developed).
No, no, no, I didn't assume he was a feeler. I just didn't think he sounded like an INTJ. It's possible.

Last edited: