• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm an ENTP, not an SJ. However, why am I not an ENTJ?

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
That test isn't trustworthy. I tested 2 or 3 times as an INTP and my J is close to 75% strong.

Again, the test cannot be taken too much at face value, it have to interpreted. If you interpret it properly, I think it's probably the best MBTI test online, but it should be combined with a conventional one though. But it's kind of hard to comment when you have never posted your scores. I cannot know if your INTP result was clear or not, without seeing the raw scores. If your Ti tested as stronger than your Te, and your Ne stronger than your Ni, I think you should reconsider your type though. You are possibly just an organised P.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, tests don't really mean anything... I tend to use them as just a means to a kinda 'ballpark figure', which I then hone and refine by gaining my own understanding of the system and using that to self-define.

Sometimes I get ENTJ, sometimes I get INTP. But my knowledge of the functions and dichotomies tells me that my E is around 70% and despite having trained myself to do a fairly decent J impersonation when circumstances require it in RL, I know it's a learned skill and not a natural tendency; my natural tendency has to be around 80% P.

The tests don't say much about me either in the S/N or T/F parts - my religion has caused me to hugely increase my F, and years of thinkning "close enough!" and then having things fall down due to inattention to facts/details has forced me to be more careful with planning and checking facts.

But again, these are learned skills and not natural traits. The tests can't distinguish between the two. If it asks "do you try to stick to facts?" and I answer "yes", it just gives me an extra point on the S scale. It doesn't provide room for me to explain how hard I have to try to stick to facts, and how I only try to in order to counterbalance my own natural tendency to fly off into speculations and theories and alternative possibilities. It doesn't give me room when I answer "I prefer to be compassionate and merciful rather than fair and objective", to explain how, again, this is something I've learned in order to counterbalance my natural tendency to be rather harsh and dismissive of the subjective element.

So yeah, I'd say to learn about the individual functions and decide for yourself which ones are natural, and which ones are 'artificially' augmented. If I were counting all my tendencies, as they're seen on the outside, without taking any account of the internal processes that lead to the behaviours, I might type myself as ENxx, with a much lower E score as my religion has also taught me to spend long periods in solitary reflection. But because I know myself, and I know what comes naturally and what doesn't, I can confidently say ENTP, even if I might not always appear that way to others.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Again, the test cannot be taken too much at face value, it have to interpreted. If you interpret it properly, I think it's probably the best MBTI test online, but it should be combined with a conventional one though. But it's kind of hard to comment when you have never posted your scores. I cannot know if your INTP result was clear or not, without seeing the raw scores. If your Ti tested as stronger than your Te, and your Ne stronger than your Ni, I think you should reconsider your type though. You are possibly just an organised P.
Haven't I?
I thought there was a thread that encouraged people to take the test and post the scores?
Did you look for it already?
I can't find it.
I remember manipulating the copy and paste to make it neater before I posted.

Hope nobody gets mad at me for de-railing the thread.

It happened again for the 4th time. I must not understand the questions.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********** (11.1)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.8)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.4)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************************** (40.1)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************** (27.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************************** (46.6)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************** (17.3)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.9)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INTJ

Last edited:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Haven't I?
I thought there was a thread that encouraged people to take the test and post the scores?
Did you look for it already?
I can't find it.
I remember manipulating the copy and paste to make it neater before I posted.

Ah, I tried to find your scores, but was unable to, that might explain why.

Edit: I was looking some more, and still couldn't find. All I could find was posts where you said what you tested on it, but not the raw scores.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ah, I tried to find your scores, but was unable to, that might explain why.

Edit: I was looking some more, and still couldn't find. All I could find was posts where you said what you tested on it, but not the raw scores.
I re-took the test and edited my previous post.
Thanks.

I think it comes down to that I don't really understand what they're asking me.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJMom, your cognitive functions scores is admittedly a bit weird, but they certainly don't disprove you are INTJ. They seem to quite clearly indicate you are either INTP or INTJ, although judging by the scores you seem to fit the INTP profile a little better, but nothing conclusive. It's funny to see that all your introverted functions tests higher than your extroverted functions. You must be extremely introverted. You say you are 75 % J, but if you are, it is a mystery to me your Te doesn't score higher.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No. I've only read one at typelogic, and another one with a pale background. I agree with most of it; the only thing I don't agree with are things like

"Question authority! (then do exactly what it tells you)" sums up the dilemma in which ENTPs may find themselves by attempting to best the tarbaby Sensing.

It's so 6ish. It doesn't apply to me at all. And there's also this shit about how the 6 is like the juggling, bumbling professor. I scoff at that, like a toff scoffs at the working class as he gallops along on his horse. Okay, I can be pretty scattered and "oh!" "ooh!" "yeah, btw!" *cuts off mid sentence* in my thinking, but I'm not one of these characters. I'm pretty damn grounded. I just have a lot of ideas that often come to me at once, and I think far quicker than I speak, so it sounds like shit, when it all makes perfect sense in my head.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/2928-entp-profile.html

Please keep in mind the temperament/personality distinction.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Here's a video of me I made earlier today.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]YouTube - My Life As It Stands 2.0[/FONT]

ENTJ 8w7... But you sound at 5...

The whole impression I got was that of an ENTJ that is in a phase of "WTF, everything is meaningless. Why bother controlling things. I don't care. I can't find what really suits me. What's the point in doing too much anyway... Fuck everything else." Or maybe that's the definition of an ENTP ;)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
The whole impression I got was that of an ENTJ that is in a phase of "WTF, everything is meaningless. Why bother controlling things. I don't care. I can't find what really suits me. What's the point in doing too much anyway... Fuck everything else." Or maybe that's the definition of an ENTP ;)

:yes:

especially in their teens, whilst not feeling too great about life generally.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I watched it... and you seem ESTJ in some ways. You have good awareness of ideas, but you seem to have a certain Si vibe. ESTJ's tend to seem similar to NT's in some ways, and it would explain why you see yourself as ENTx... you have strong Ne and Te.

Hearing you say you hate abstractions sounded very S to me.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I watched it... and you seem ESTJ in some ways. You have good awareness of ideas, but you seem to have a certain Si vibe. ESTJ's tend to seem similar to NT's in some ways, and it would explain why you see yourself as ENTx... you have strong Ne and Te.

Hearing you say you hate abstractions sounded very S to me.

He is ENT.

ESTJ's are only supposed to develop their Intuition at mid-life, yet Ezra's highest scoring function is Intuitive. Ezra shows a high interest in the abstract through his academic choice of philosophy - a very unusual choice for the practically minded ESTJ that has Ne as 3rd function, usually developped only later in mid-life.

He is frustrated with it because ENT's are driven to apply theories, whereas all that philosophers do is constant theorizing. This may appeal to INxx's but less to ENxx's. Considering the contrast with you as an INxx, it only makes sense you perceive him as S.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
He is ENT.

ESTJ's are only supposed to develop their Intuition at mid-life, yet Ezra's highest scoring function is Intuitive. Ezra shows a high interest in the abstract through his academic choice of philosophy - a very unusual choice for the practically minded ESTJ that has Ne as 3rd function, usually developped only later in mid-life.

He is frustrated with it because ENT's are driven to apply theories, whereas all that philosophers do is constant theorizing. This may appeal to INxx's but less to ENxx's. Considering the contrast with you as an INxx, it only makes sense you perceive him as S.

Okay, then... but it could be hard to tell an ENTx from an ESTJ if the circumstances were right, couldn't it?

If he's ENTx, do you think J or P? Why? My guess is J... He doesn't seem to be absorbing the way a "P" would, or even the way an "I" would. There's definitely a sense of Te assessing, and I know that ExTJ's have that in common.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind applying theories, I just don't see how it's possible to really apply them in their entirety. I don't like cutting things away to make it fit the situation and losing the underlying essence of the idea, although I try to evoke and use as much of the idea as I can to improve the situation. I think you have to understand the idea before you can do that. That's the INxx thing from our own perspective.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah actually in the video he didn't seem as animated as ENTP's usually are... but that could easily be because he was on the spot and sort of a bit nervous and concerned about how he was coming across (typical E!). He didn't seem very at home with the camera being on him, but wanted to seem as though he did... hm, I don't think that's a type thing though, that could apply to many people of different types.

In some circumstances athenian I agree that ENTJ and ESTJ can be difficult to tell apart, though it's obvious what the differences are when you get them talking for any length of time. But ESTJ and ENTP are very different and very easy to tell apart, IMO.

Because he's so young, I'd say it's not so easy to tell either from the writing or from the video... but the writing contradicts the video to me, tells me there's more animation and enthusiasm, more passion on the inside than appears on the outside. But as I said that could just be in that video - when he's relaxed and without a camera on him, we don't know how passionate/animated he can get.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Okay, then... but it could be hard to tell an ENTx from an ESTJ if the circumstances were right, couldn't it?

If he's ENTx, do you think J or P? Why? My guess is J... He doesn't seem to be absorbing the way a "P" would, or even the way an "I" would. There's definitely a sense of Te assessing, and I know that ExTJ's have that in common.

On one hand, I would like to say ENTJ because of a general hunch I have.

On the other, he did score highest in Ne and not that high in Te. He also seems to have trouble coming to closure about his type and is constantly doubting it, which could indicate P.

However, considering he is in his late teens, I wouldn't put much stock into this. Identity issues are common in adolescence and part of a normal developmental process. This often manifests as a bias towards P. It coincides with the development of Ni in ENTJs. It could explain Ezra's current interest for philosophy. If Ezra remembers himself as being Te as a child, then it would all make sense.

As a child I was very much Te myself. As a teen, I started developping Ni. It was so strong that after 3 months of studying economics I switched to studying philosophy. However, I quickly realized it wasn't for me. It was too abstract and not focused on actual problems.

As you see, there are similarities between Ezra and myself.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind applying theories, I just don't see how it's possible to really apply them in their entirety. I don't like cutting things away to make it fit the situation and losing the underlying essence of the idea, although I try to evoke and use as much of the idea as I can to improve the situation. I think you have to understand the idea before you can do that. That's the INxx thing from our own perspective.

Sure, and I'm not making a value judgment about the INxx approach. There is not one approach that is better than the other, just different preferences for one or the other depending on the person.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah actually in the video he didn't seem as animated as ENTP's usually are... but that could easily be because he was on the spot and sort of a bit nervous and concerned about how he was coming across (typical E!). He didn't seem very at home with the camera being on him, but wanted to seem as though he did... hm, I don't think that's a type thing though, that could apply to many people of different types.

I always thought it was the other way around... E's weren't self-conscious about how they came across, so they weren't as anxious in public. So you worry how you look to other people too? I always thought E's had it easier in that regard... just didn't think or worry as much and still managed to get through everything somehow.
In some circumstances athenian I agree that ENTJ and ESTJ can be difficult to tell apart, though it's obvious what the differences are when you get them talking for any length of time. But ESTJ and ENTP are very different and very easy to tell apart, IMO.

That's actually what I was suggesting... that the issue is between ESTJ and ENTJ, so ENTP isn't really possible. That's just my opinion of course.

Because he's so young, I'd say it's not so easy to tell either from the writing or from the video... but the writing contradicts the video to me, tells me there's more animation and enthusiasm, more passion on the inside than appears on the outside. But as I said that could just be in that video - when he's relaxed and without a camera on him, we don't know how passionate/animated he can get.

Passion on the inside indicates Fi rather than Fe, right?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not sure I agree... I wouldn't say PinkPiranha lacks inner passion at all, but she's definitely very Fe...

athenian yes, extraverts do worry about how they come across to others. I can't speak for all extraverts or all ENTP's but my impression is that sometimes when talking to other people the fascination I have for them overrides my self-consciousness and takes my mind off it. But that doesn't mean that if I'm being video'd or photographed or reviewed in my absence, I don't think about how I look or super cringe when I look bad!