• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type Is Highlander?

What Enneagram Type Is Highlander?

Votes: 4 50.0%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure you're sx/sp? (The reason I ask is because it would surprise me if the sx/sp for 6w5 fit you.)

[edit:] Here's the e6 sx/sp description I'm referring to. I guess it's also possible that this description isn't great. It's just that I've known someone who was 6w5 sx/sp who DID fit the description perfectly. He was scary. Lol. And you don't remind me of him.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you sure you're sx/sp? (The reason I ask is because it would surprise me if the sx/sp for 6w5 fit you.)

[edit:] Here's the e6 sx/sp description I'm referring to. I guess it's also possible that this description isn't great. It's just that I've known someone who was 6w5 sx/sp who DID fit the description perfectly. He was scary. Lol. And you don't remind me of him.

Well, I'm sure about SX. I'm less confident about the SP/SO ordering, but that's what the result was from the best paid assessment I could find and the overall ordering seems logical to me.

On that description - it was interesting to see that. Comments below.

Sexual/Self-pres

The sexual/self-pres Six is more concerned with strength, beauty and merging. With this stacking, the counterphobic energy is directed more toward individuals than towards ideas and concepts.
This sounds right I guess.

It’s more about controlling the people closest to them.
I don't see how I do this. The same things are said about 8s.

Paranoia arises when the Six feels abandoned by intimates. In the sexual/self-pres Six, doubt and anxiety is relieved by the knowledge that one's intimates really are trustworthy. These Sixes are always testing their mates for loyalty.
Paranoia sounds like an extreme word to describe it but my imagination can get the better of me at times. I have realized this tendency in myself for many years and actively work to recognize it when I'm doing it. I thought I somewhat had this licked but lately realized that I still do it even though I've rooted out some of the most negative manifestations of it and in particular, the action I take based on those perceptions.

The sexual Six is counterphobic in terms of needing to prove their desirability and strength.

This type is identified with their respective gender roles for security. They can be competitive and appear Eight-like. Male Sixes are likely to show strength as a form of counterphobia. Female Sixes are likely to emphasize their looks in order to be attractive. Security comes from knowing they are desirable. They can be very possessive of their mates. This can turn to extreme jealousy. On the down side, paranoia about the relationship can set in. The sexual/self-pres Six can appear Three-like, because of their need for validation and competitiveness.

The controlling and possessiveness thing - I don't know. Maybe I just haven't experienced situations that would cause that to occur. The linkage with 8 and 3 makes sense though because I thought I was an 8 already and seriously questioned if 3 might be accurate as well.

On the high side, this subtype can be the most fiercely loyal to their friendships and to those loved ones who have gained their trust. The intensity of the sexual instinct brings with it a passion that is unwavering for the love and protection of their loved ones. The nature of the Six to "go towards," combined with the merging of the sexual instinct, can sometimes create an idealization of others, the ones that have passed the test of the Six. On the down side, the fear of losing the close relationship can cause this subtype to desperately lash out counterphobicaly.

I agree with all of this except for the lashing out part. Don't do that at all.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, now that I've put a little more thought into it, I really just had a negative association because of one person. :doh: It's funny- I saw you're post earlier and thought "but Highlander seems WAY too sane for sx/sp 6w5..." (As if one crazy person makes for an ideal prototype. Duh.)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems you might have settled on 6w5, but in case you're still considering the poll options.....

Each of these (3, 5 & 8) are from a different triad, which makes for significant differences in their core motivations. Focus on your core motivations for your behaviors & attitudes & life, and then identify which triad & which type from it sums them up the best.

3 is in the heart triad. All of the heart types are motivated out of a fear of having no value. 2 seek to establish value by becoming necessary to others, 3s by impressing others & achieving status, and 4s by establishing a unique identity. In this way, they all try to fill that core emotional need to have value.

5 is in the head triad. All of the head types are motivated out of a fear of being controlled by others. They seek a mental freedom. 5s seek to understand the world from a distance & gaining knowledge becomes a way of conquering it, 6s either rebel or adhere (counter-phobic or phobic) to perceived authority in order to control its influence & not be controlled by it, and 7s seek novel experience & avoid unpleasantness to resist being boxed in or affected negatively.

8 is in the gut triad. All of the gut types are motivated out of a fear of their basic needs not being met or not being secure. 1s seek security by creating & maintaining structure & standards to meet their ideals, 9s withdraw into a fantasy world & seek to keep peace to promote external stability to protect their inner security, and 8s seek power so they can make sure they have what they need to be secure or to create security in general.

Also: 9, 4, & 5s are often said to be withdrawn (or passive) types; 2, 1 & 6s to be reactive (or passive-aggressive) types. 7, 8 & 3s to be proactive (or aggressive) types. These attitudes/behaviors are most obvious when their core need is threatened. If you're a withdrawn type, then you'll withdraw into your head to deal with it & usually let it blow over. Reactive types respond to the threat at hand, but usually don't go beyond that once it seems safe; they may resist taking responsibility for actions because of this, insisting it was provoked (hence, the passive-aggressive tendency). Proactive types take preventative measures, meaning they can get aggressive and will go beyond what is needed to quell the threat at times.

This article is really useful, IMO. It's from another forum, so you may not have come across it yet. It kind of "groups" the types into yet another set of subcategories, based on the id, the ego & the superego. It further clarifies the core motivations of each type.
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/47315-freudian-theory-enneagram.html

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems you might have settled on 6w5, but in case you're still considering the poll options.....

This article is really useful, IMO. It's from another forum, so you may not have come across it yet. It kind of "groups" the types into yet another set of subcategories, based on the id, the ego & the superego. It further clarifies the core motivations of each type.
http://personalitycafe.com/articles/47315-freudian-theory-enneagram.html

Thank you for all of those comments. They were very helpful as was the article link. I especially like this comment which further helps to strengthen the argument for the 6.

Let's examine the traits found in id aggression as compared to superego aggression:

Id Aggression 3-7-8:
- More often impulsive.
- Based on desire and want.
- Often inconsiderate of others.
- Involves more direct confrontation.
- Seeks gratification for the sake of gratification.
- Usually very direct in their aggression. More likely to be "active-aggressive."

Superego Aggression 1-2-6:
- More often calculated.
- Based on what's right and wrong.
- The aggression is often rationalized.
- Often considerate of others to some degree.
- Involves both direct and indirect confrontation. Can be "active-aggressive" or "passive-aggressive."

Freudian psychoanalysis illustrates the difference between id aggression and superego aggression in a way that elucidates this previously poorly-explained area of the enneagram. If you are stuck between 6 and 8 in deciding your type (and many are), look at the above list to determine if your aggression is centered more in the id or more in the superego. Some of those bullet points may not apply depending on the individual, so consider the points in their totality.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spoke to professional practitioner today (guru). She interviewed me for over an hour and confirmed that I'm a conterphobic 6. She also confirmed the 6, 3, and 8 tritype. She seemed to somehow feel this combination was rare. She said that people with this combination will always think they are 8s. She confirmed sx as primary but thought sp was close behind. With regards to the wing, she suspects a 7 but would need to ask more questions to confirm it. I'll have too look at that. It was money well spent.

yeghor

Z Buck McFate said:

Well, I'm sure about SX. I'm less confident about the SP/SO ordering, but that's what the result was from the best paid assessment I could find and the overall ordering seems logical to me.

On that description - it was interesting to see that. Comments below.
High Sx = High Sensing function

Sexual/Self-pres

The sexual/self-pres Six is more concerned with strength, beauty and merging. With this stacking, the counterphobic energy is directed more toward individuals than towards ideas and concepts.
This sounds right I guess.
Focus on strength, beauty = High sensing function

It’s more about controlling the people closest to them.
I don't see how I do this. The same things are said about 8s.
Don't know either.

Paranoia arises when the Six feels abandoned by intimates. In the sexual/self-pres Six, doubt and anxiety is relieved by the knowledge that one's intimates really are trustworthy. These Sixes are always testing their mates for loyalty.
Paranoia sounds like an extreme word to describe it but my imagination can get the better of me at times. I have realized this tendency in myself for many years and actively work to recognize it when I'm doing it. I thought I somewhat had this licked but lately realized that I still do it even though I've rooted out some of the most negative manifestations of it and in particular, the action I take based on those perceptions.
Paranoia = inferior N, inferior imagination wreaking havoc in the mind by flooding it with improbable possibilities.

The sexual Six is counterphobic in terms of needing to prove their desirability and strength.

This type is identified with their respective gender roles for security. They can be competitive and appear Eight-like. Male Sixes are likely to show strength as a form of counterphobia. Female Sixes are likely to emphasize their looks in order to be attractive. Security comes from knowing they are desirable. They can be very possessive of their mates. This can turn to extreme jealousy. On the down side, paranoia about the relationship can set in. The sexual/self-pres Six can appear Three-like, because of their need for validation and competitiveness.

The controlling and possessiveness thing - I don't know. Maybe I just haven't experienced situations that would cause that to occur. The linkage with 8 and 3 makes sense though because I thought I was an 8 already and seriously questioned if 3 might be accurate as well.
Usually, people who are this much confused about their enneagram type are E9s. I associate E9 with Si-doms.

On the high side, this subtype can be the most fiercely loyal to their friendships and to those loved ones who have gained their trust. The intensity of the sexual instinct brings with it a passion that is unwavering for the love and protection of their loved ones. The nature of the Six to "go towards," combined with the merging of the sexual instinct, can sometimes create an idealization of others, the ones that have passed the test of the Six. On the down side, the fear of losing the close relationship can cause this subtype to desperately lash out counterphobicaly.

I agree with all of this except for the lashing out part. Don't do that at all.
I associate E6 with Te. Lashing out is usually indicates high Se. You say you don't do this, which means your Se is contained, i.e., it has become Si.

In one of your latest posts, you say someone typed you enneagram tritype 638. From my understanding this yields, Te - Fe- Se, which doesn't make sense.

I also noticed in another thread you say you are drawn to numbers in your profession.

INTJ - Accounting and Computer Science. Never did much with the Accounting part though I am drawn to numbers.

My bet would be that you are an enneagram 9 - ISTJ. High Si explains your high sex drive without impulsivity and lashing out. Your tritype would look smt like 964.

yeghor

That has not been my experience and this description doesn't back up your assertion.

sx 6 description
Sexual counterphobic E6 sounds exactly like a regular E8. However E8s are impulsive, which you say you aren't.

Sexual Sixes' strength is often physical. They may develop this physical strength through sports or exercise that serve to build muscles and make them feel strong in their bodies. They tend to have marked control over their bodies as a way of cultivating a sense of inner strength to guard against feeling the chaotic emotions associated with the release of rage or other impulses.
It is clear that sx E6 has high S, exhibiting high physical strength.

These characters walk around with the idea that anyone can become dangerous, so they do everything they can to not feel cheated, manipulated, taken advantage of, or attacked. If you are someone who thinks and feels this way, you need to be prepared to be strong and mount a resistance. That's why Sexual Sixes not only develop strength but also intimidations-in the service of resistances, of being prepared to scare someone off, rebel, or be contrary.
Again, this distrust of others in sx E6s sounds very much like an inferior N type, i.e. S-dom, and sounds very much like E8. I think these people are failing to recognize that sx E6 is actually E8.

The Sexual Six can look like a Type Eight because both types can appear intimidating, strong, and powerful. However, in contrast to the Eight, who tends to be fearless, the Sexual Six is motivated by an underlying fear, even when they don't consciously feel it of show it. Also, while Eights like to create order, Sexual Sixes often like to disrupt order by stirring up trouble. Sexual Sixes can also look like Threes in that they are action-oriented, fast-moving, assertive, and hardworking. They differ from Threes, however, in that they have more paranoid fantasies and their assertiveness has its basis in fear rather than in the need to achieve and accomplish goals in the service of looking good.
This part from your link compares sx E6 to E8. It says sx E6s stir up trouble to distrupt order, and sounds someone impulsive but you say you aren't?

It also says they are prone to paranoia, which would point toward weak intuition playing games.

If you are impulsive and overbearing on others, I would say you are an ESTP, if not and if you are regimented and orderly in your life, I would guess an ISTJ. These align well with your career choice as well.

One thing is sure that you can check on yourself: Ni-doms are nerds, they don't look like muscled jocks. I understand you value physical strength as you seem to identify with the warrior in the movie Highlander. So imo, Ni-dom typing is off the table for certain.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sexual counterphobic E6 sounds exactly like a regular E8. However E8s are impulsive, which you say you aren't.

I tested as an 8 numerous times but it appeared to be wrong and others questioned it so I was professionally tested by a very reputable Enneagram authority with a long online assessment and a one-hour interview. It took me a while to understand it. Initially, I was like "fear? what fear?" After thinking about it a great deal it started to make sense though.