• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ENFP, INFP or ENFP, INFP or ENFP

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I keep going back and forth. I am almost exactly like both of the descriptions. The good the bad and the ugly of INFP and ENFP seem to describe me. I think I am ENFP, but only by a margin. Seriously can't I be both? :shock:

I am starting to think I became introverted because of my sucky childhood, but I enjoy my extroverted side and am becoming much more so as I get older. Even so it seems weird that I can align myself so closely with different types.

I'm also in a transition period so it's tougher for me to tell as I'm growing a lot right now. I have heard the ENFP called the shy extrovert, and I do think that describes me half the time, the other half I'm swinging from the chandeliers.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I keep going back and forth. I am almost exactly like both of the descriptions. The good the bad and the ugly of INFP and ENFP seem to describe me. I think I am ENFP, but only by a margin. Seriously can't I be both? :shock:

Of course you can...I am. It's all about balance, just because we've attempted to categorize something as fluid as personality doesn't mean it can necessarily be interpreted as black and white.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For some reason I think you are ENFP. But take that with a pinch of salt because you know better than I do :)
Have you ever looked at the cognitive functions? And ENFP's functions are Ne Fi Te Si whereas an INFP's are Fi Ne Si Te. Just google "Cognitive Processes Test" to take it and have a look at your function order (it will tell you what type seems to be the best fit). You can also find plenty or articles on cognitive functions :)

I am starting to think I became introverted because of my sucky childhood, but I enjoy my extroverted side and am becoming much more so as I get older.

You might be confusing low confidence with introversion (which is very easy to do btw) :)
I think you are extravert. Even if you feel that you don't have a particularly strong preference for extraversion, it doesn't make you any less of an ENFP.

I'm also in a transition period so it's tougher for me to tell as I'm growing a lot right now.

Bearing that in mind, I wouldn't worry about this too much. If you feel that it;s pretty much impossible to determine your type right now just settle for XNFP at the moment and when you feel up to it you can look into it a little bit more :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this sounds just like my first thread here haha i say enfp...simply by the way you write but obviously...no clue as i have never spoken with you or read any of your other posts. :)

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm glad it's not just me who was getting the ENFP vibe from this. I often second guess myself :blush:

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm leaning towards ENFP, but I have been very extroverted lately. I can be very introverted too.

I did suffer from insecurities and confidence issues for many years, but I also introverted around 5 when a series of sucky circumstances started happening to me. I became very much withdrawn and lived in my head a great deal. I was an avid reader and had some problems becoming emotionally attached to characters and stories in books. I had an imaginary friend for a couple years starting at 3. I tend to introvert to see how I view things, but then I need to express myself to others through writing, talking, sex, or performance arts. Sometimes I can only express myself accurately though writing, and other times speaking is much easier for me.

When I get hurt or defensive I think everyone is against me. For years I felt like no one liked me, and everyone was purposefully trying to leave me out, but then I go through periods where I am "the life of the party" so to speak.

I've read some on cognitive functions and taken tests. I am reading Lenore's book Personality Type: An owner's manual right now too. When I test for cognitive functions I usually end up as INFP or ENFP.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well it's possible to be on the border :)
And you said that you are growing a lot atm. When that's done it will be easierto determine your type...or you just might be an ambivert. My mother is more of an xNFJ than full on ENFJ...but she feels she is more on the ENFJ side (her dominant function is Fe).

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I didn't realize there was a word for it, but yes I feel like an ambivert.

I've always felt like the extroverted loner.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ambivert is when you have an equal number of introverted and extraverted traits...like you are right in the middle of the scale. So it's possible to be on the border :)

ENFPs do often feel like the extraverted loner. But INFPs often feel lonely and misunderstood. Both my sisters are INFP and ENFP.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
As soon as I read the original post, I said to myself, "Pshawwww.... she's an ENFP." Welcome to the fold sister.

I think HollyGoLightly's advice is dead on. It's all about cognitive processes and hierarchy of functions. My INFP friends and I are so much alike. But there are differences, too.

I recommend you check out the difference between Ne and Fi. Both INFP and ENFP have these functions. But it's more to do with our starting place. There is a big difference between:

Ne buttressed by Fi, and
Fi buttressed by Ne.

Once you understand the more subtle points, then you'll have no more doubt.

I say again, ENFP. T-O-T-A-L-L-Y. :)

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
As soon as I read the original post, I said to myself, "Pshawwww.... she's an ENFP." Welcome to the fold sister.

I think HollyGoLightly's advice is dead on. It's all about cognitive processes and hierarchy of functions. My INFP friends and I are so much alike. But there are differences, too.

I recommend you check out the difference between Ne and Fi. Both INFP and ENFP have these functions. But it's more to do with our starting place. There is a big difference between:

Ne buttressed by Fi, and
Fi buttressed by Ne.

Once you understand the more subtle points, then you'll have no more doubt.

I say again, ENFP. T-O-T-A-L-L-Y. :)

Thanks so much. I'm going to check it out.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Anyone can be bordering on anything! Yes, it is possible that you can be both. :)

TrueHeart

MBTI Type
INFP
No, you can't be both. That you both extravert (with intuition) and introvert (with feeling) doesn't mean you have two psychological types. No, you can't be both. Your type is one or the other, or something else completely. No, you can't be both.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Did you get that girlfriend/job, Trueheart?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Of course you can...I am. It's all about balance, just because we've attempted to categorize something as fluid as personality doesn't mean it can necessarily be interpreted as black and white.

i dont think you can be both, but you can be so close to bot that you dont know if you process information using Ne -> Fi or Fi -> Ne

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Has reading brought you any insight, so far?

Definitely.

I do feel like I am an ENFP, but I do operate and make decisions as an INFP a good part of the time. I am VERY sensitive, and even though I am working on it, I will get my feelings hurt and revert to INFP. I am aware of it now, but before I couldn't explain what was happening before.

I also see I have been almost exclusively acting in INTJ shadow mode for years due to stress. Not just in situations, like with INFP, but for huge blocks of time. I was a different person and I was pretty miserable.

I see I have been very introverted for most of my marriage, and a good chunk of my childhood/teen years. I feel like I did it out of survival, but I am much happier and natural when I am able to extrovert and "feel like myself".

So yeah, I am pretty much the typical ENFP who has all kinds of reasons for why I don't act typical :D

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
i dont think you can be both, but you can be so close to bot that you dont know if you process information using Ne -> Fi or Fi -> Ne

I think you nailed it for me. It's really tough to decide. I really feel like I function in both. If one has to be greater than the other than it is Ne. Therfore ENFP.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I agree with ENFP. As you've probably heard before, ENFPs and ENTPs are the most Introverted Extroverts. Blame your Dominant Ne for making you confused. :tongue: