• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or INTP

Ajax

MBTI Type
xNTP
I've always found myself struggling to answer which type I really am. There are examples where it might be described as either type I tend to always tell people when they're inaccurate but I enjoy going out and I get very energised from talking to people, especially if they cover my interests.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
"... but I enjoy going out and I get very energised from talking to people, especially if they cover my interests."

ENTP.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Extraversion (E)

•energy is directed mainly toward the outer world of people and objects
•energised by interaction and action
•concrete, experiential learning style
•tend to be sociable and expressive
•(not “loud” and “talkative”)

Introversion (I)

•energy is directed mainly toward the inner world of experiences and ideas
•energised by inner world and ideas
•reflective, observational learning style
•tend to be private and contained
•(not “shy” and “inhibited”)

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
ENTJ? What makes you think that?

Sorry, it was a joke. He quoted a single sentence and proclaimed you were an E from that (a very J tendency). So I quoted his sentence and proclaimed he was a J.

Ajax

MBTI Type
xNTP
Sorry, it was a joke. He quoted a single sentence and proclaimed you were an E from that (a very J tendency). So I quoted his sentence and proclaimed he was a J.

We're not the same person. :p

Certain friends of mine notably a ESTJ seem convinced that I am INTP, it is quite amusing when he only quotes passages from INTP descriptions.

I like to check that I am right before I say someone's wrong because I've suffered severe embarrassment (and I still do on occasions) where they've come back with the actual facts. I like to be impartial and I understand that's an INTP trait.

I identify with certain things in the I and the E because I do like to read (mainly on Wikipedia) before I commit to a debate but I love to discuss it as well.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Extraversion (E)

•energy is directed mainly toward the outer world of people and objects
•energised by interaction and action
•concrete, experiential learning style
•tend to be sociable and expressive
•(not “loud” and “talkative”)

Introversion (I)

•energy is directed mainly toward the inner world of experiences and ideas
•energised by inner world and ideas
•reflective, observational learning style
•tend to be private and contained
•(not “shy” and “inhibited”)

See now, I am seem to be both INFP and ENFP. Both of those descriptions describe me perfectly. I am not one of those more than the others.

Ajax

MBTI Type
xNTP
See now, I am seem to be both INFP and ENFP. Both of those descriptions describe me perfectly. I am not one of those more than the others.

INFP or ENFP. Ouch, I feel sorry for you.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
We're not the same person. :p

Certain friends of mine notably a ESTJ seem convinced that I am INTP, it is quite amusing when he only quotes passages from INTP descriptions.

I like to check that I am right before I say someone's wrong because I've suffered severe embarrassment (and I still do on occasions) where they've come back with the actual facts. I like to be impartial and I understand that's an INTP trait.

I identify with certain things in the I and the E because I do like to read (mainly on Wikipedia) before I commit to a debate but I love to discuss it as well.

xNTP. It's OK to be borderline. It is what it is.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

Ah, I was the one who did that, not him. You're right, though. I am a J. :tongue:

@Ajax: Could you give us a little more information? Your post is pretty vague. Since you said that you're energized when you're around people, I assumed that you were an E. Why do you think that you may be an I? Do you think that you use Ti/Ne instead of Ne/Ti?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Going off very little information, I'm going to venture a guess and say INTP. The two INTPs I know actually enjoy being around people every once in a while, most of all when they can talk about their ideas.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Going off very little information, I'm going to venture a guess and say INTP. The two INTPs I know actually enjoy being around people every once in a while, most of all when they can talk about their ideas.

I enjoy being around people. People I know, people who are capable of conducting an intelligent conversation and people who won't get too bothered when I talk incessantly about a new theory I read or something similar.

Yes, I can be a pain in the arse. Generally uninterested in talking unless it's about something that interests me personally (in which case it's me doing all the talking).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Yes, that definitely sounds more INTP... ENTPs have tons of ideas just like INTPs, but they don't mind stepping into conversations unrelated (or ones they have little interest in) as much. My ENTP best friend can hold a conversation with anybody about anything if he really wanted, and with little energy applied. I don't think my INTPs could do this even if it killed them.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I need more info. It's difficult to help type someone just on:

I enjoy going out and I get very energised from talking to people, especially if they cover my interests.

Ajax

MBTI Type
xNTP
I need more info. It's difficult to help type someone just on:

What info shall I specifically give?

@Ajax: Could you give us a little more information? Your post is pretty vague. Since you said that you're energized when you're around people, I assumed that you were an E. Why do you think that you may be an I? Do you think that you use Ti/Ne instead of Ne/Ti?

Because I do identify with both profiles but at the same time I don't identify with them. I like to correct people but I don't read a huge amount of books because I usually become distracted and read another, unless it is related to one of my projects and I can actively apply it or there is just really nothing else to do, like for instance in a long car journey. I also prefer to watch documentaries and I thought that a ENTP trait?

My understanding is that each type is simply reversed in their dominant function?

(ENTP)
However, Ti cannot match the activity of Ne, which leads the ENTP to juggle multiple projects and theoretical enterprises at any given time, in various stages of completion.
(INTP)
INTPs frequently puzzle over a problem for hours on end, until the answer suddenly crystallizes in a flash of insight.

I think I do both to various degree. I was supposed to do my dissertation ( :blush:) but I completely ignored it and focused on other projects despite being insanely enthusiastic to begin with. With regards to INTP, I think this is rather self-evident in that I am sitting at 5am in the morning writing this.

Maybe INTPness is right. I am stuck in limbo. :huh:

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When reading the type profiles you aren't goingto agree with everything it says. Bear in mind the description needs to cater to bother genders, differen't cultures, ages etc so it's not going to be a perfect fit. There's some things that don't fit me in the INFJ description but it doesn't make me any less of an INFJ. It's also possible to be borderline introvert/extravert like INTPness said :)

Have you ever been able to work out whether Ne or Ti is your dominat function?

R

Riva

"... but I enjoy going out and I get very energised from talking to people, especially if they cover my interests."

ENTP.

INTP.

If you want to light a INTP like a candle that is exactly what you should do.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
... Maybe INTPness is right. I am stuck in limbo. :huh:

It could be that your I and E are balanced, but people usually favor one or the other. I see more ENTP in you than INTP (especially since ENTPs are commonly viewed as the most Introverted Extrovert), but there's still not enough information given to type you accurately.

Would you mind telling us what your Big 5 and Enneagram types are? I've found that taking those tests can be very helpful in indicting your MBTI type. (If you're not sure, similarminds.com has versions of both tests available.)

Ajax

MBTI Type
xNTP
It could be that your I and E are balanced, but people usually favor one or the other. I see more ENTP in you than INTP (especially since ENTPs are commonly viewed as the most Introverted Extrovert), but there's still not enough information given to type you accurately.

Would you mind telling us what your Big 5 and Enneagram types are? I've found that taking those tests can be very helpful in indicting your MBTI type. (If you're not sure, similarminds.com has versions of both tests available.)

I have taken (or at least I think) Big 5:

Extroversion |||||||||||||| 52%
Orderliness |||| 18%
Emotional Stability |||||||||||||||| 64%
Accommodation |||||||||| 34%
Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||| 54%

Extroversion results were medium which suggests you average somewhere in between being assertive and social and being withdrawn and solitary.

Orderliness results were low which suggests you are overly flexible, random, scattered, and fun seeking at the expense too often of structure, reliability, work ethic, and long term accomplishment.

Emotional Stability results were moderately high which suggests you are relaxed, calm, secure, and optimistic.

Accommodation results were moderately low which suggests you are, at times, overly selfish, uncooperative, and difficult at the expense of the well being of others.

Inquisitiveness results were medium which suggests you are moderately intellectual, curious, and imaginative.

I sound like a narcissistic bastard. :(

I got 7 on the Enneagram test but I seem to remember getting both types at one point. I also believe that I understated my thirst for knowledge in the test since I only got 29 on type 5.

Two friends think differently on my type. I know that one ESTJ thinks I am INTP and another INTJ thinks I am ENTP. They both put their point across as if it is an absolute truth and to be honest although it amuses me, they do not seem willing to debate it (which irritates me). It is also ironic too is that the ESTJ says he hates everything that ESTJ stands for and seems to go off in a wild, angry tangent when I say I think that's his type. :p

Psychology is fascinating.

INTP.

If you want to light a INTP like a candle that is exactly what you should do.

I don't really understand what you mean.