• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

help me figure out my cognitive functions?

psyche

I found this very interesting cognitive functions test: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

However, so much of the wording was too vague for me to actually take the test. I decided to just read over the explanations of functions to see if I could figure out which of mine was dominant, etc.

I can't figure it out for the life of me. I identified strongly with fe (extraverted feeling, right?) and almost equally strongly with te (extraverted thinking). I also strongly identified with introverted feeling, but less so. Same with introverted thinking.

So....I'm completely confused. I'm eNFj. Thanks for your help!

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Took the test in the OP. The scoring section 404'd, but I self-scored based on how many check marks I put. The results:

Ne- 26 (87%)
Te- 23 (77%)
Fi- 22 (73%)
Si- 15 (50%)
Ti- 11 (37%)
Fe- 11 (37%)
Se- 8 (27%)
Ni- 6 (20%)

Closest fit: Ne Fi Te Si (ENFP).

psyche

Okay. I took the test at Keys 2 Cognition. Here is what I got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************** (14.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.7)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.3)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************ (24.6)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.6)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.7)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************************* (49.9)
excellent use

I typed as INFP, but I'm pretty sure I'm eNFJ. However, these two statements were spot on:

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If I'm actually eNFJ (which I'm almost positive I am), what would my dominant and auxiliary processes be? Is there somewhere I can see a writeup of these, like the one above?

Thank you!

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFJ's processes:

Dominant: Extroverted Feeling (Fe)- Empathy, sympathy. Forging social connections through considerate treatment of others, awareness of shared social values, ability to sense others' feelings, and make them your own.

Auxiliary: Introverted Intuition (Ni)- Attraction to the symbolic and archetypal, ability to solve paradoxes and create the previously unimagined, foresight and visions of change. In layman's terms, Ni is the ability to play chess with life.

Tertiary: Extroverted Sensing (Se)- Situational awareness, intense focus on the here and now and in sensory stimulation.

Inferior: Introverted Thinking (Ti)- Precision, awareness of details, specifics and intricacies of an idea, subject, object, principle or concept.

I believe that you might be ENFP or INFP, and seem like a Judger due to the organizational skills and impulse inherent, to your lower Thinking function, which is Extroverted Thinking (Te). Te is organization, management, trust in empirical data and awareness of objective measures such as timing.

psyche

Thank you very much, Aleski. This is really interesting.

I don't identify with Se, Ti, or Ni. I mean I do identify with them, to a degree, but there's a lot I don't see in myself there. For example, with Se, though I'm "sensual" in that I love and am moved by beauty and experiences that stimulate my senses (I'm a 4 in the Enneagram), I'm not really in the here and now at all. Only for brief moments, when I'm struck by ambiance or something.

The J/P issue has been going on for a long time for me. I'm very organized in a lot of ways, I want to crawl out of my skin when my home is a mess or I have loose ends that I need to tie up, I'm impatient with scattered or vague people, I'm extremely self-structured and self-directed, clarity is vital to me....yet I do NOT make plans, because I always want to keep my options open. I've typed as a J most often but I just don't know.

I test on the line of e/i but I am pretty sure I'm an e.....

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you very much, Aleski. This is really interesting.
My pleasure. :)

I don't identify with Se, Ti, or Ni. I mean I do identify with them, to a degree, but there's a lot I don't see in myself there. For example, with Se, though I'm "sensual" in that I love and am moved by beauty and experiences that stimulate my senses (I'm a 4 in the Enneagram), I'm not really in the here and now at all. Only for brief moments, when I'm struck by ambiance or something.
That sounds like standalone Fi enjoyment of emotionally evocative themes, rather than Se.

The J/P issue has been going on for a long time for me. I'm very organized in a lot of ways, I want to crawl out of my skin when my home is a mess or I have loose ends that I need to tie up, I'm impatient with scattered or vague people, I'm extremely self-structured and self-directed, clarity is vital to me....yet I do NOT make plans, because I always want to keep my options open.
That sounds like Te rather than Fe, and without Ni. Organizational impulses in NFJs are generally more related with wanting to keep a harmonious environment, rather than wanting to keep order for its own sake. Lends credence to the idea that you're an NFP with a strong lower Te.

psyche

Okay. Well, here is how I identify in Judging (my words are after the --)

* I appear to be task oriented. -- I'm very driven
* I like to make lists of things to do. -- I have multiple to-do lists (day, week, month)
* I like to get my work done before playing. -- almost always
* I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline. -- almost always
* Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information. -- not so much, but I do miss the experience of working toward the goal.

Here is what I do/don't identify with in Perceiving:

* I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens. -- not sure
* I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum. YES, with plans, but I think it's because I don't want to be forced to be social when I'm not in the mood. I make plans with low-maintenance people (family, SO, a very very close friend, sometimes) but not with anyone else, ever, unless my back is against a wall. This includes plans to talk on the phone as well, though I'm on the phone a lot.
* I like to approach work as play or mix work and play. -- nope; work is work.
* I work in bursts of energy. -- sometimes, but usually I work for long periods of time.
* I am stimulated by an approaching deadline. -- no, I'm overwhelmed by it and hate it. I prefer to structure my time to avoid that crunch.
* Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed. -- Never.

So this is why I feel like I'm more J than P.....

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
* I appear to be task oriented. -- I'm very driven
* I like to make lists of things to do. -- I have multiple to-do lists (day, week, month)
* I like to get my work done before playing. -- almost always
* I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline. -- almost always
* Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information. -- not so much, but I do miss the experience of working toward the goal.
Te

* I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens. -- not sure
* I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum. YES, with plans, but I think it's because I don't want to be forced to be social when I'm not in the mood. I make plans with low-maintenance people (family, SO, a very very close friend, sometimes) but not with anyone else, ever, unless my back is against a wall. This includes plans to talk on the phone as well, though I'm on the phone a lot.
* I like to approach work as play or mix work and play. -- nope; work is work.
* I work in bursts of energy. -- sometimes, but usually I work for long periods of time.
* I am stimulated by an approaching deadline. -- no, I'm overwhelmed by it and hate it. I prefer to structure my time to avoid that crunch.
* Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed. -- Never.
Ne, mixed with Fi.

So yeah, as I said before NFP fits best. ;)

psyche

Okay. Well, I've never had my type explained this way before -- broken down into cognitive processes, etc., so now I'm going to have to do some more research! This is interesting and I really appreciate your insights, Aleksei.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp