• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do ya think type 7 or 9?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So a friend has decided i'm type nine...i'd like to be type 9 haha

i feel very sevenish...what do i seem like tho?

People of enneatype Nine are essentially looking to maintain a sense of peace, harmony and balance and to avoid conflict and disruption. Nines tend to see the best in people, to be fundamentally optimistic about the future, and, when reasonably healthy, to have a calming and grounding effect on those around them. As a general rule, Nines are fairly "easy going;" they adopt a strategy of "going with the flow." They intuitively know how to wait for the openings so that they can slip effortlessly into the stream. Nines don't tend to "sweat the small stuff." On the whole, they are self-effacing, tolerant, even-tempered and likable individuals. Nines aspire to be supportive, loving and gentle and more than any other enneatype, are likely to embody these valuable qualities. Given such a portrait, it might seem difficult to understand what is so problematic about the type Nine fixation.

or

Enneagram type 7s are upbeat and energetic, and have minds that don’t quit. The Seven mind is always busy making connections between different ideas, which can make them seem scattered, but also funny and entertaining. Sevens are good at brainstorming new ideas and beginning new projects, but can have trouble with followthrough. In average levels of health, Sevens can seem ADD and manic, and many sevens get asked if they have been diagnosed with these disorders. While sevens like to live in the world of ideas, they also like to implement those ideas in practical ways.

KDude

7, if the way you are here is any indication. you're enthusiastic.. impulsive even.

in a good way, of course ;)

9's are just super chillin i think? i thought i was one too (which would be in line with isfp), but i don't think so now.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ha! how can you tell i'm impulsive online? i am but how do you know! haha

but yeah...we were just having dinner and he said you're a nine btw haha and i was like i feel more 7 than enfp even...i feel really really 7 but i am kinda chill and haven't really read much of the other types

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
You do seem a bit more contained in terms of the expression of your personal details, which can indicate a degree of 9 protectiveness.

However, you could just be a 7 with a self-pres instinct. I'd track down Blackcat, he's great with enneagram help.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oooh...are nines protective? i'm super protective. i don't think i'm self-pres tho i get sx/so/sp

okay...i'm off to read more thanks guys

ooh found this
Misidentifying Sevens and Nines

Sevens and Nines might seem difficult to confuse since average Sevens are the hyperactive extroverts of the Enneagram, while average Nines are obviously passive and complacent, and live at a much lower energy level than Sevens.

The main reason they can sometimes be confused is that both types can be extremely busy and both are usually rather ebullient and happy. Furthermore, the defense mechanisms of both types are similar: both have repressed their inner worlds—Nines to maintain their identification with an idealized other, Sevens to avoid cutting themselves off from sources of external stimulation.

The points of similarity are reflected in their psychic structures–the fact that both are sensation types in the Jungian model, Sevens corresponding to the extroverted and Nines to the introverted sensation type (PT, 193 and 250). While it is clear from even a superficial acquaintance with Sevens that they are highly extroverted and orient themselves to the world via sensation, what is unclear is that Nines are introverted. What is even more unclear is the nature of the sensation that they introvert on. This is why the inner world of Nines is so obscure and difficult to describe (and why others have not understood this type's proper correlation to the Jungian category).

A deeper understanding of the Nine's psyche comes from realizing that the Nine orients itself to the world by introverting on the "sensation" of possessing union with another–by introjecting another, and then idealizing that introjection. To put this in simpler terms, their sense of self comes from the emotion they feel when they sense their identification with another person, much as a pregnant woman introverts with thoughts of love for her unborn child. By talking to the child in her womb, she gains a sense of herself as a mother. In a similar way, Nines commune with their inner sensations (identifications), maintaining their sense of self by living through an identification with another person. Hence they correspond to the Jungian introverted sensation type.

This introversion accounts for the inner life of Nines, which is largely out of view, protected in the inner sanctum of their psyches so that it cannot be easily disturbed or changed. It is in their dealings with the outside world that Nines can resemble Sevens.

Average Sevens are hyperactive, busy with too many things superficially. They dabble around to amuse themselves and to stave off boredom and anxiety. Similarly, Nines are highly intolerant of anxiety, and they stay busy to avoid it, using errands and hobbies to occupy their minds in undemanding, non-threatening ways. They want to avoid conflict or over excitement; by contrast, Sevens love excitement. Sevens become demanding and excessive and crassly materialistic as they deteriorate, while Nines become more passive, indifferent, and unresponsive as they become more unhealthy. Sevens want to be stimulated, whereas Nines want to avoid anything that would overly stimulate, much less upset, them. The essential difference is that average Nines do not want to be emotionally involved in their activities (since these can threaten their identifications), whereas Sevens want to have an increasingly high emotional charge from their activities (since they have few subjective identifications).

Furthermore, Nines do not seek the same kind of happiness that Sevens do (euphoria and elation). Instead, they wish to maintain a state of placid contentment, of being neither too excited nor in discomfort. Indeed, if they could, they would be completely free of excessive stimulation of any kind. The Nine's desire to avoid becoming deeply involved with anything lest it arouse too high a response is the polar opposite of what we find in the average Seven. As we have seen, like all opposites, these two types can nevertheless be alike in many ways. Consider the differences between John F. Kennedy (a Seven) and Ronald Reagan (a Nine) or between Bette Midler (a Seven) and Ingrid Bergman (a Nine) for further insight into these two types.

KDude

ha! how can you tell i'm impulsive online? i am but how do you know! haha

but yeah...we were just having dinner and he said you're a nine btw haha and i was like i feel more 7 than enfp even...i feel really really 7 but i am kinda chill and haven't really read much of the other types

because i can just tell by the stuff you say sometimes that you're just speaking your mind/thinking aloud. haha.. it's more in line with enfp too, right? it doesn't have to be personal stuff, i think. just random opinions or whatnot.

anyways i think we talked about 7 once.i feel like i can identify with it a little more than 9 myself (this makes an argument for me actually being esfp but whatever).

quinlan and wolfy are like 9s, i think.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
oooh...are nines protective? i'm super protective. i don't think i'm self-pres tho i get sx/so/sp

okay...i'm off to read more thanks guys

You do seem to come off a bit as preferring to avoid conflict and bad "feelings." I think I've frequently seen you write something similar to "Ugh, why can't people just let people be" or "Why do haters gotta hate" and variations of that theme in response to topics about hateful judgments which you gives you that "peacemaker" feel.

Not sure what you're like in person though :blush:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha!! why haters gotta hate?? omg never said that but i'll have to steal it for another time :laugh:

i am a peacemaker tho...that was totally my role in my family. i felt like the translator...like no one else could understand each other...hmm

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the enneagram institute. i tried to just link it butt apparently you have to be logged in to see it.

KDude

i think anyone with healthy Fi can play the peacemaker. Fi is about recognizing sort of..universal values in a way (that's how Fi sees it at least)

7 or 9 though are distinct by the energy lvl put off. the first can be super lively,the other super relaxed. and 9's can sit on their thoughts and opinions longer than anyone else.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
7 or 9 though are distinct by the energy lvl put off. the first can be super lively,the other super relaxed. and 9's can sit on their thoughts and opinions longer than anyone else.

Yes, and this is why this is difficult to do having not met her in person.

I'd lean towards 7 as it is. Any ideas about a possible wing, LadyX?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well when i take test it tells me 7w8 but i had decided i was 7w6 and when i looked at those quick descriptions just now 9w1 sounds more accurate than 9w8 i guess because i have no desire for power

The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 9: Peace-Seeker

KDude

well when i take test it tells me 7w8 but i had decided i was 7w6 and when i looked at those quick descriptions just now 9w1 sounds more accurate than 9w8 i guess because i have no desire for power

The Enneagram Blogspot: Type 9: Peace-Seeker

9w8 doesn't want power either.. they still want peace.. it's just that their fuse blows when things aren't working out.. and then they go right back to where they were again. i think one site called the 9w8 the "referee". so it's not typically aggressive. just enforcing the peace sometimes.

personally, im just gonna stay away from enneagram. i end up liking all of them :laugh:

B

brainheart

personally, im just gonna stay away from enneagram. i end up liking all of them :laugh:

moi, aussi. It took way too long for me to figure out my mbti type, and now I'm going to do it all over again with the enneagram? :rolleyes:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9w8 doesn't want power either.. they still want peace.. it's just that their fuse blows when things aren't working out.. and then they go right back to where they were again. i think one site called the 9w8 the "referee". so it's not typically aggressive. just enforcing the peace sometimes.

haha i know! i just took another test and got 9w8...i can't be trusted to take tests anymore.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There's also snippets about mistyping here.

Sevens and Nines are both optimistic, and both types generally have a positive regard for others. Sevens are prone to self-centeredness however, whereas Nines often give too much deference to the thoughts and feelings of others. Sevens tend to throw themselves into activity under stress, whereas Nines are prone to withdrawal. Sevens are more "hyper," Nines more grounded.

I think the only other type I've scored as is 9, I don't relate at all to being hyper, based on the above snippet I'd lean towards 9 but 7 is just too me. You do certainly read as a peacekeeper but you've not presented anything that didn't seem mostly 7 to me. This part of what you quoted sounds particularly contrary to each other, what's your take on it?

Nines do not seek the same kind of happiness that Sevens do (euphoria and elation). Instead, they wish to maintain a state of placid contentment, of being neither too excited nor in discomfort. Indeed, if they could, they would be completely free of excessive stimulation of any kind.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
contentment sounds like death a lil bit....i mean in a way i wish i wanted it...i wish i didn't get restless and need to change things up so that i could just be happy and content but the idea of not having that constant passion and interest in things seems a bit like i would be giving up on life...but i fantasize about wanting it...wow that's contradictory. :/

wolfy

awsm
I'm 9w8 and I like the idea of contentment. I only get restless when my contentment is moved in on. That doesn't mean I don't like new things, I do. That post by kdude on 9w8 sums it up well. It is like I want balance while I move forward. For me and others. Hard to explain.

Everybody fights against aspects that are ingrained somewhat. It is just being honest with who you are now and running with it.

I would go with 7w6 off the top of my head.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i probably overstated that need. i mean i am content for long periods but i do desire new experiences and change a lot....i think the way it manifests for me is that i dream of finding that perfect place i want to live that's near a lot of cool places i want to travel to and i want my work to be something that has a lot of variety and room for expansion...so...i feel like i would be content if i had something stable that offered a lot of variety.

edit: it was my friends boyfriend who mentioned he thought i was and after thinking about it i was like...maybe that's why i feel much calmer than some of the enfps people talk about on here....robin williams in 7w6 and he's way energetic. i'm not like that.