• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

XNXP

Othon

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey, guys. Well, I'm not exactly sure where to start or what to say without boring you guys half to death with irrelevant information, so I'll try to make this short and to the point.

For some background information, I used to be on the fence between INFP and INTP, but I've since acknowledged that I have problems (though not so much now as before) with social anxiety due to excessive bullying throughout my childhood and early adolescence. Now that I've made it a point to take more risks getting out of my comfort zone and have met lots of people, I've started to wonder whether I'm just a shy extrovert (the question arose when I found to relate so well to the ENFP profile)? But in reality, I still need a lot of time alone, and I'm emotionally independent. I have a few very close friends who I love, but I feel like I have too many friends. I like them all, and I want to be close with all of them, but I know that's not possible. x-x

Anyway, enough with that, here are a few things about myself that may or may not help. I realize a lot of people here are well in identifying quirks with types, so I hope I'm not just babbling for the sake of babbling!

I tend to be a very logic-oriented person, but most of my thoughts revolve around people and humanity (but I guess this applies to most thinkers?). I also daydream quite a bit. In high school, my favorite classes were the social sciences. I would always dismiss the hard sciences and math as lame-o and impersonal (I remember back in middle school when I would personify numbers, LOL), but I'm really good with math and the sciences, so nowadays I embrace them and their open-ended interpretation for our use. That's kind of how I look at it. On another note, I was an ADD kid, so maybe I would've embraced them with some effort from the start if this wasn't the case?

I absolutely love music. I learned to play the clarinet in high school band, and despite it being a loser instrument on it's own, I still play it just for the sake of doing so, haha. I also learned the flute at that time, and now I'm taking up the guitar. As for music I like, my favorite is pretty music. Especially pretty music that makes me sniffle, like Cat Power. Catchy club tunes also do the trick for me. =P Just makes me want to move around. And metal's great. And I love that ambient, new-age music like Loreena Mckennitt and Enya. Short list of a few of my favorite bands: The Cure, Shakira, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Bjork, Tiesto, The Sisters of Mercy, Cradle of Filth, VNV Nation, Kate Bush, Tristania, The Gathering, Bob Dylan, Jefferson Airplane, HIM, Silversun Pickups, Emilie Autumn

Other things I like doing are hiking, swimming, reading, movies, and reading wikipedia page upon wikipedia page. My favorite books are 1984 and Crime and Punishment, and my favorite movies are Stardust, Pan's Labyrinth, and V for Vendetta.

As for spirituality, I'm not particularly spiritual (I'd call myself agnostic), but I don't have a single problem believing my friend when he tells me he sees auras and ghosts, and I think there's some sort of "God" just from other people's accounts. And my own experience tells me there's too much coincidence for there to just be random. And the way I see it, science and theory have plenty limitations. There's so much neither can disprove (or prove) because they're completely human-centric.

I'm somewhat politically oriented. Or at least I used to be. Nowadays, the whole system just seems like shit to me, and I wish politics would go fuck itself. But I still vote, if only to help keep right-wingers out of power.

I'm vegetarian. I started off doing it because of animal ethics and such, but nowadays it's just a matter of not wanting to something that was once living and perceptive.

So yeah, in a nutshell, I keep up with what's going on around me and definitely have fun with it, but I tend to keep to myself and do a lot of reflecting, but that's usually enough for me. And despite being so people-centric, I still have a very detached way of seeing things. I can't even remember the last time I cried. But then again, as I become more comfortable with myself and at peace with the world, I find myself become much more in-tuned with my feelings (understanding them rather than just putting them into words) and much more receptive of my intuition. Definitely rejecting intellectualism more and more and going with what feels right, even if it sometimes means getting bad vibes from people, whereas I would never give myself the luxury to pay much attention to them. Maybe out of insecurities (I'm not good enough to assume bad things of a people, so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt)?

But anyway, I did exactly what I meant not to, and went into a lot of self-centered babbling. Sorry, guys! Thanks for putting up with it all and for your time.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You sound like me, except you say that you prefer logical thinking. I would say INTP.

Just because you are introverted doesn't necessarily make you "socially awkward" so it's not a matter of how you behave around people, but weather if you prefer being alone or with others. So, the part about being a "shy extrovert" doesn't really seem plausible to me.

Check out an INTP profile page and see if it fits you at all.

Here's a nice one:
An INTP Profile

Hope this helps. :)

Othon

MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks a lot! Well, I don't really prefer one or the other. I get lonely if I don't spend time with friends and family, and I get overwhelmed if I don't spend time alone. All in all, though, I'd say I prefer more time by myself. I took a cognitive functions test, and I scored highest on both Fi and Ti, so I guess it's safe to say I'm an INP. =p I really appreciate the link you provided. It's very in-depth, and I definitely found it insightful. It seemed pretty hit or miss to me, though; lots I could relate to, but quite a bit that I couldn't. Would you happen to know of an INFP profile that's that in-depth? I'd love to read one and compare. Thanks again!

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I would always dismiss the hard sciences and math as lame-o and impersonal

Othon how do you mean impersonal?

Personally I very much like people around me and most of my thoughts have the focus towards the innerworkings of my being (if that makes sense), Im not an egoist but I am turned towards the focus of the ego.

Could you in a few paragraphs explain who you where as a kid?

I can describe myself a little first to give you a sense of what I mean. I kept to myself most of the time, I did have friends in school but they where other than the time spent in school not someone I spent a lot of time with. I liked taking things apart I didnt really keep my toys in good condition. I've always had difficulty engaging personal relations being it in the playground asking other kids if I could join them, or later in life having difficulty talking to the opposite sex. Its not that girls dont like spending time with me or in a sense that I dont have any female friends but many of the relations I have, has been started by them and not me.

One of the pictures of me as a kid that I think is very saying about my nature, I have a picture of me, my grandmother and my cousin (who is the same age as me) sitting and playing in a sandbox with other kids. My cousin is playing with the other kids while I sit by my grandmother and plays on my own. Which I think can be contributed to my (then) extreme need for feeling secure in social situations and my problem with engaging other kids.

I had a liking for technical things, I had a stampcollection, I liked animals and acted very emotionally towards animal cruelty.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say ENFP with some shyness, based on this.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks a lot! Well, I don't really prefer one or the other. I get lonely if I don't spend time with friends and family, and I get overwhelmed if I don't spend time alone. All in all, though, I'd say I prefer more time by myself. I took a cognitive functions test, and I scored highest on both Fi and Ti, so I guess it's safe to say I'm an INP. =p I really appreciate the link you provided. It's very in-depth, and I definitely found it insightful. It seemed pretty hit or miss to me, though; lots I could relate to, but quite a bit that I couldn't. Would you happen to know of an INFP profile that's that in-depth? I'd love to read one and compare. Thanks again!

No problem! Glad I could help! :)

Yeah, if being around people too much and for too long exhausts or depresses you, I, well in my view anyway, think you're definantly an introvert. So you're getting close. :)

Unfortunantly, I can't really find any INFP profile pages that are quite as in-depth as the INTP one I suggested, but, I think this one (below) is pretty descriptive. It confirmed to me that I was INFP. (I used to be bordering on INFP or ISFP :/)

I hope this will help you out some more! :)

INFP Profile by Sandra Krebs Hirsch and Jean Kummerow

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I personally really like these descriptions ...

INTP Profile

INFP Profile

Just because we are Fi dominant doesn't mean we can't ever be logical and assess situations coldly and just because we are introverted doesn't mean we don't have on moments when we chat up a storm with complete strangers. So it's tricky. ;) Everything is a spectrum and some are more balanced than others.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't really get an INTP vibe from you. I'd say that you're an INFP with a weak F.