• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Trouble Enneagram-Typing Yourself? Come To Papa

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're genuinely confused about what Enneagram type you are, I will help you find it. It might take some time, but we will find it.

MerkW

If you're genuinely confused about what Enneagram type you are, I will help you find it. It might take some time, but we will find it.

Very well then. I know that I am a 5. I know I am sp/sx. But am I 5w4 or 5w6? I can't decide. It keeps switching back and forth. I am very irritated by this. Which am I?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

You believe it's possible to be completely positive of your enneagram type? Why? It's not written on you anywhere, and the tests aren't foolproof. I guess I'm confused by your confidence that such a thing can be known.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

Yuck. Why in the world you feel entitled to being an authority on it? Not even Gurdjeff dared speaking this way. If this is a joke, fine. Otherwise, bah.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...It's not written on you anywhere...

*roll eyes*

Look at the stamp on your butt, silly!

Very well then. I know that I am a 5. I know I am sp/sx. But am I 5w4 or 5w6? I can't decide. It keeps switching back and forth. I am very irritated by this. Which am I?

In a completely unprofessional opinion built off extremely limited and superfluous evidence, I'll say that you sound like 5w6 here.

Because here's the 5w4 version (edited):
Well, I know that I am a 5, I think, and probably sp/sx. But am I 5w4 or 5w6? Why can't I decide? It keeps switching back and forth, and I'm in agony. Why can't I figure this out? What does this say about life and me? Which one, oh, which one could I be? Alas! I cannot bear the ambiguity.... but I must, of course! God, please just shoot me now... Oh, hell, forget it.

(That one is me, of course.)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

Me, me, me, me, me! :D

I'm 7 or 9 but which one? :thinking:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP

I don't mind being your test bunny.

I couldn't figure out how it works. Took the test. How many wings can a person have - I've 3 ties for e.g, and though I'm type 4 here, it is very close. How does this gel with the ENTP; and how do I inteprete the relation between the main and the wing?

Results as below:

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||| 65%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 52%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 65%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||||||||||||| 68%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||| 61%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 65%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||| 51%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 31%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 45%

sp/so/sx.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds more like a strong 4 than a 5w4.

You're right, I was probably a little too dramatic. Although a true 4 might sound like this:

I don't know who I am anymore! Am I a four to adore? Or perhaps I am a five today,that jives, simply because I'd like to be one? Yes, that might be it. I shall be a five until tomorrow. Then I'll be a four again. Or maybe a six.

There is a man, nearby, watching me, and I cannot tell whether I should run from him, alone, into the cold but safe darkness or else flee into his mysterious but passionate embrace. His eyes are black and indecipherable... like mine. Agony, yes, I know it is, to not know the answer to the meaning of my life, but if my heart was not breaking, perhaps I would not even realize I was alive!

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Just love me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I decided a few months back that I was a 4, because I was browsing through an Enneagram book at a bookstore, and 4 just seemed to describe me perfectly, in a way none of the other descriptions did.

Here's the most recent test results --

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||| 62%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 45%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||| 52%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||| 42%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 37%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 42%

sp/so/sx

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Alright, here goes. I did three tests, and these were my results:

The first one I got was type 2, closely followed by type 7 and 9 equally.
The next test gave me type 2 and 9 equally, with type 3 and type 7 coming after that.
And the third test gave me type 7, then type 9 and then type 2.

And then the Instinctual Variant test gave me type 2 with a 3 wing, variant social, although in the description it mentioned that type 9 tends to mistype as 2 (and I felt the differences put me more on the 9 side).

So, what's your expert opinion? :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The next test gave me type 2 and 9 equally, with type 3 and type 7 coming after that.

And then the Instinctual Variant test gave me type 2 with a 3 wing, variant social, although in the description it mentioned that type 9 tends to mistype as 2 (and I felt the differences put me more on the 9 side).

Oh, you're a 972.3, obviously. :D

Seriously, though, women in many cultures have to be careful when they receive a "Two" rating, because they've been culturally pushed to perform in a Two role regardless of personality. This bias is well-known among enneagram practitioners.

I would see a Seven or Nine reading as normal for an MBTI ENFP type. The Sevens tend to be more energetic and into sampling a lot of things (experiences, sensations, etc.), whereas the Nine are more interested in peacekeeping and keeping life safe and stable. Seven behavior can lead into conflict because they're immersed in the world and pursuing things; Nines tend to show less energy or activity.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All right, I'll bite. Here are my results:

Type 1 Perfectionism - 74%
Type 2 Helpfulness - 18%
Type 3 Image Focus - 38%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity - 22%
Type 5 Detachment - 78%
Type 6 Anxiety - 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness - 26%
Type 8 Aggressiveness - 54%
Type 9 Calmness - 58%

Evidently I'm a 5, but I don't really understand the second number thing. Some numbers can't go together or somesuch?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Mine's weird as always... since everyone else is posting results, here:

Type 6 Anxiety - 85%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity - 78%
Type 5 Detachment - 70%
Type 1 Perfectionism - 60%
Type 2 Helpfulness - 51%
Type 3 Image Focus - 50%
Type 9 Calmness - 41%
Type 8 Aggressiveness - 20%
Type 7 Adventurousness - 14%

sp/so/sx

I presume I'm a 4w5 based on various previous assessments.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The fundamental difference between the 5w4 and the 5w6 is easier to spot than in the other types. It's simple: do you spend a lot more time studying technical things, like philosophy or HTML coding, or is most of your time dedicated to artistic pursuits?

Read this. Which sounds more like you?

The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliche of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.
-lifexplore

You believe it's possible to be completely positive of your enneagram type? Why? It's not written on you anywhere, and the tests aren't foolproof. I guess I'm confused by your confidence that such a thing can be known.

We can never be certain of anything. That's why pragmatism exists.

Yuck. Why in the world you feel entitled to being an authority on it? Not even Gurdjeff dared speaking this way. If this is a joke, fine. Otherwise, bah.

Why are you so averse to others attempting to achieving something, or to others helping others to achieve something?

I'm 7 or 9 but which one?

Their fundamental motivations for living are very different. 7s want to be satisfied. They'll probably to this by snapping up as many opportunities to enjoy themselves as possible, and the unhealthier they are, the more they'll want to do. They like variety in what they do. This is no concern for a 9. So long as there is peace and harmony in their surroundings, 9s are happy. They can indulge in the same activity for hours and hours and hours. This would be pure hell for a 7.

I don't mind being your test bunny.

I couldn't figure out how it works. Took the test. How many wings can a person have - I've 3 ties for e.g, and though I'm type 4 here, it is very close. How does this gel with the ENTP; and how do I inteprete the relation between the main and the wing?

Results as below:

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||| 65%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||| 52%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||||||| 65%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||| 61%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||||| 65%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||| 51%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 31%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||| 45%

sp/so/sx.

Taking a guess, I think you're a 4 with identity issues, as opposed to someone who is relatively balanced in their many motivations. Because you're low in both 8 and 9, I think the anger triad can be ruled out. You're moderate in the fear triad, but your highest scores are in the shame triad. If you had to choose three types that were most like you in behaviour, what would they be?

I think the first results are always the most accurate. After a while, you begin to understand the patterns behind the questions, and you can pretty much manipulate the results to get what you want; subconsciously or not.

You're not the first person who I've heard of who's scored highly in 2, 7 and 9. Although each of them represent each of the hornevian triads - 2 is compliant, 7 is assertive, 9 is withdrawn - I can see how people might be confused between them. But they're still very different types. See my above comments on the differences between the 7 and the 9. The 2 is a different breed altogether. In contrast to the 2, the 7's and the 9's self-preservationism (I'm not talking about variants here) are so much easier to spot than they are in the 2 (to most people at least). The 2 'lives for others' outwardly, with their hidden agenda safely tucked away. They look like martyrs. Does a 7 look like a martyr? Does it fuck. It looks like someone who wants to enjoy themselves. Most if not all 7s are very self-focused, and are totally unashamed of it. Ask any of them, and they will tell you. The 9 isn't so self-centred, but their modesty is more genuine than that of the 2, simply because the 2 is normally the master of the social arena when compared with the 9, who may enjoy parties and social gatherings, but could just as easily derive enjoyment from eating a rich meal or having a bath or something. The 2 is other-focused. The 7 and the 9 are self-focused types, with the 7 taking top spot in obviousness of it.

Oh, you're a 972.3, obviously.

Seriously, though, women in many cultures have to be careful when they receive a "Two" rating, because they've been culturally pushed to perform in a Two role regardless of personality. This bias is well-known among enneagram practitioners.

I would see a Seven or Nine reading as normal for an MBTI ENFP type. The Sevens tend to be more energetic and into sampling a lot of things (experiences, sensations, etc.), whereas the Nine are more interested in peacekeeping and keeping life safe and stable. Seven behavior can lead into conflict because they're immersed in the world and pursuing things; Nines tend to show less energy or activity.

True, but as surprising as it seems, apparently the most common type for a 2 is an ENFP.

All right, I'll bite. Here are my results:

Type 1 Perfectionism - 74%
Type 2 Helpfulness - 18%
Type 3 Image Focus - 38%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity - 22%
Type 5 Detachment - 78%
Type 6 Anxiety - 70%
Type 7 Adventurousness - 26%
Type 8 Aggressiveness - 54%
Type 9 Calmness - 58%

Evidently I'm a 5, but I don't really understand the second number thing. Some numbers can't go together or somesuch?

5w6. What do you mean by the last sentence?

Mine's weird as always... since everyone else is posting results, here:

Type 6 Anxiety - 85%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity - 78%
Type 5 Detachment - 70%
Type 1 Perfectionism - 60%
Type 2 Helpfulness - 51%
Type 3 Image Focus - 50%
Type 9 Calmness - 41%
Type 8 Aggressiveness - 20%
Type 7 Adventurousness - 14%

sp/so/sx

I presume I'm a 4w5 based on various previous assessments.

Why do you think you're not a 6w5?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
We can never be certain of anything. That's why pragmatism exists.

That's right... If you understand that, then perhaps you can determine enneagram types with good accuracy. But what I'm asking is, what's the source of your confidence that you understand the enneagram better than most other people? Intensive study? Formal training? Strong ability to read people?

But I have to admit I'm curious as to whether you agree that I'm a 4w5. I can always use more information, opinions, and ideas on the matter, after all. Of course, if you're busy helping people who really don't understand this at all, then don't worry about it...

You have one core type, and one "wing" that modifies it's characteristics (some claim to be wingless, however). Your wing must be one of the types adjacent to your core type. For instance, a 5 can have either a 6 or a 4 wing. It gets complicated with 9 and 1, however. A 9 can have a 1 or 8 wing, and a 1 can have a 9 or 2 wing. The rest of it is fairly predictable.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's right... If you understand that, then... perhaps you can determine enneagram types with good accuracy. But what I'm asking is, what's the source of your confidence that you understand the enneagram better than most other people? Intensive study? Formal training? Strong ability to read people?

I dunno. I just want people to be more confident in and certain of themselves, because I believe this is a fundamentally good thing.

MerkW

Technically speaking, I think the 5w4 description might describe me a little better than 5w6, yet at the same time, I am much more scientific than artistic.