• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ/INFP

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Ok, this is yet another a silly "type this person I know" case... I know there is a whole website devoted to "are you an INFJ or INFP" but it was written for the people themselves, so I didn't get much from it.

I have not known this guy long, but he did take an online test after we talked about MBTI and he scored ENFJ. I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.

This person is clearly an NF, the N is very strong (he's a successful scientist, a theorist, actually) but as an NT I can see that he is not one of us. When asked directly he said "how you feel about something is the most important thing in making a decision" (as opposed to logic). He's very sympathetic (to me) but I have not known him long so I can't say if that is a universal thing.

I'm pretty sure he's an I, he's mentioned that he prefers small groups of close friends and abhors a party where he knows few. He seems to like being alone, though he does have a lot of friends.

The J/P question... this is not the first time I've had trouble telling. Sometimes I think it is the most flawed of the 4 attitudes.

He seems open to new things, certainly not dogmatic about religion or rules, doesn't seem to have a definite schedule to his days (but I don't know him THAT well), and seems ok with uncertainty. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have difficulty making decisions, his house is tidy, has no problems being direct communicator ("put that there, not , "that should go there"), and professionally he has been very succesful (not saying P's aren't, just that he reminds me almost of an INTJ in this respect). On a recent trip he definitely had a big print-out of information about every place we were going or might go and maps, etc.

What should I be looking at to tell? Does it really matter? Well, kind of. I have a relationship with this person and I'd like to know if we're likely to have J/P clashes, or if we're both going to become a giant pile of P-ness.

P

Phantonym

Prepare for both scenarios and when the time comes...you'll know. And then deal with it.

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Hmmm... good point. I'll be working closely with him so I guess I will probably figure it out... Though J/P clashes can make me want to smash my head into something, I have a ton more experience with them (and how to avoid). The super-P scenario is what I'm fearing, because as I'm actually moderate on that scale, I can feel myself stretching over to be more and more J-like to keep things balanced. And I hate that feeling.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on the usual J/P criteria & what you've said, I'd go with J. If someone tests extrovert, then I tend to believe it, but then as an expressed introvert I can't see not being sure of your introversion....

hilo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9 sx
Based on the usual J/P criteria & what you've said, I'd go with J. If someone tests extrovert, then I tend to believe it, but then as an expressed introvert I can't see not being sure of your introversion....

Interesting, thanks. Also, this guy is older (>40)... I often think that makes it harder to type people, assuming they have matured and developed other functions.

I forgot the functions too, I think it makes a lot more sense that he is a Ti/Fe and not the other way, just based on his job and interactions with people.

Random detail... he is terrible at typos in emails. It is one of those things that drive me crazy (even though I am guilty of lazy grammar and sentence structure on things like this very post). It's as if he types something once and never reads it through before sending. Do people do that? I read everything (especially work emails!!) like 5 times before sending.