• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Not sure if I'm INFJ or INTJ

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hello there!

I wonder if I am INFJ or INTJ. I know these two personality types are very much alike, and therefore I have problems knowing in which group I belong.

I read this, and felt like it was a description of me when studying and working. INTJ Information

I love science and I am planning to become a vet. I am highly structured. I am complex, and sometimes I don't even understand myself. The feeling of seeing things most people don't see make me feel deeply lonely.

There is a few things, though, that make me disbelieve in the fact that I'm INTJ. I am very sensitive about others. If I am out with someone eating at a restaurant, I would feel bad the rest of the day if one of the others didn't like the food. It stresses me when others aren't pleased. I am not good at handling conflicts. It might seem like it on the outside, but inside I'm stressed. I need everything in my life to fit.
Also, when someone has problems, I like to listen to them and give advice.

When I make judgments, I always include both feelings and thinking. I try to find the golden middle that works for both feelings and reason.

Any questions, opinions or ideas of "what" I am? Thanks. :)
I struggle between T & F too.

I think the core difference between T & F is whether you think/believe people should make decisions impartially or whether they should consider extenuating circumstances.

If you think it is WRONG for people to consider extenuating circumstances when making a decision, you are a T.
If you think it is WRONG to make a decision without looking at the extenuating circumstances, you are an F.

extenuating circumstances: the life situations and/or feelings of the people impacted by the decision

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I struggle between T & F too.

I think the core difference between T & F is whether you think/believe people should make decisions impartially or whether they should consider extenuating circumstances.

If you think it is WRONG for people to consider extenuating circumstances when making a decision, you are a T.
If you think it is WRONG to make a decision without looking at the extenuating circumstances, you are an F.

extenuating circumstances: the life situations and/or feelings of the people impacted by the decision

I am not sure I agree with the wording, as if you think people's feelings and life situations are applicable objectively to the situation, then you can factor them in and it can still be a "T" decision.

T vs F logic is like impersonal vs personal rationality. Both are rationalities. T-style thought is the sort that can be reached by anyone, regardless of culture or personality or whatever else. This is why philosophy and science and systematic theology (built on premises) and whatever else is considered "T" thinking, or why math is "T" style thinking. The rules are the same no matter who you are.

F logic is very personal in nature. Who you are (either individually or who you are role-wise in the culture) matters The rules can be set by the culture in question (Fe) or the individual in question (Fi), but the rules are not universal ones. They change based on the specific culture or the people who are involved and cannot be derived apart from the people; the rules depend on the people involved.

Funny that you use the word "wrong" in your definitions.
"Wrong" has very different definitions for a T vs an F.
(For a T, it's more like "incorrect" vs an F-style "morally wrong.")

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I am not sure I agree with the wording, as if you think people's feelings and life situations are applicable objectively to the situation, then you can factor them in and it can still be a "T" decision.

T vs F logic is like impersonal vs personal rationality. Both are rationalities. T-style thought is the sort that can be reached by anyone, regardless of culture or personality or whatever else. This is why philosophy and science and systematic theology (built on premises) and whatever else is considered "T" thinking, or why math is "T" style thinking. The rules are the same no matter who you are.

F logic is very personal in nature. Who you are (either individually or who you are role-wise in the culture) matters The rules can be set by the culture in question (Fe) or the individual in question (Fi), but the rules are not universal ones. They change based on the specific culture or the people who are involved and cannot be derived apart from the people; the rules depend on the people involved.

Funny that you use the word "wrong" in your definitions.
"Wrong" has very different definitions for a T vs an F.
(For a T, it's more like "incorrect" vs an F-style "morally wrong.")
I was hoping to hear your point of view on this.

So what do YOU think is the core difference between T & F?

musttry

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd try to focus on which of the two feeling orientations is strongest and which of the T functions is strongest.

Are you more about understanding the inherent logic of a process or thing (Ti) or more directive about how you organise space and time (Te)?

Are you more about trying to figure out how you feel about something or someone (Fi) or about what should be done with respect to your social surroundings (Fe).

Amalie

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I'd try to focus on which of the two feeling orientations is strongest and which of the T functions is strongest.

Are you more about understanding the inherent logic of a process or thing (Ti) or more directive about how you organise space and time (Te)?

Are you more about trying to figure out how you feel about something or someone (Fi) or about what should be done with respect to your social surroundings (Fe).

I'm not sure about Ti or Te yet, but I'm definitely Fi.

Amalie

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
About decisions. I will always try to avoid making decisions if it's not right in regards of both logic and feelings. If I have to make a quick decision, though, I think I'd choose the logic one.

You make it sound like INTJs don't have feelings. Isn't that a bit wrong? I know an INTJ that's the most cuddly and sensitive person I've ever met. Sure only his very closest sees it, that's how it's with me too, but it's still him. :)

jameslysirius

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Amalie, speaking as an INFJ who has had a friend for 8 years who is definitely an INTJ, I'd have to say you're in INFJ. This is why I think so from your previous posts:

"I am complex, and sometimes I don't even understand myself. The feeling of seeing things most people don't see make me feel deeply lonely." I feel this way all the time. My INTJ friend, though, doesn't feel that way at all.

"I am very sensitive about others. If I am out with someone eating at a restaurant, I would feel bad the rest of the day if one of the others didn't like the food. It stresses me when others aren't pleased." This is an INFJ trait. If I was out to eat with my INTJ friend and this situation happened, I would be bothered about it the rest of the day while she wouldn't think about it at all.

"I am not good at handling conflicts. It might seem like it on the outside, but inside I'm stressed. I need everything in my life to fit." Again, an INFJ trait.

You keep leaning toward T because you say you make a lot of your decisions based on logic; I do, too, but I'm definitely F. Just because you think logically doesn't mean that you're T, especially since we are trained to think logically in school, and as you wish to become a vet, you'll do this even more.

Where are you reading the description of the INFJ? I use the description found on personalitypage.com and it really helps. Here are some defining characteristics of an INFJ that may help:

- "They put a lot of energy into identifying the best system for getting things done, and constantly define and re-define the priorities in their lives." (Which could seem like a T trait, as INFJs are big on efficiency and prioritizing.)
- "They know things intuitively, without being able to pinpoint why, and without detailed knowledge of the subject at hand."
- "INFJs are concerned for people's feelings, and try to be gentle to avoid hurting anyone. They are very sensitive to conflict, and cannot tolerate it very well."
- "They may tend to internalize conflict into their bodies, and experience health problems when under a lot of stress."

Also, from my own personal experience, INFJs are perfectionists and have very high expectations.

Take a good profile of an INFJ and a good profile of an INTJ and contrast the two. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! :) Good luck figuring yourself out ;) (Which probably means you're an INFJ :p )

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
flip a coin and then start adapting to the type you want to be.

No wait thats fail isnt it ?

Amalie

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Entropie, I won't change a bit even if I know or don't know which type I am. :)

Jameslysirius, You're INFJ. How well do you fit to this description? :) INTJ Information

(And, yep, you got me, it's very me to ask whithout being willing to take in what others tell me. :p)

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took this test (http://www.greenlightwiki.com/lenore/inventory.html) and got this result:

INTJ
E 3 I 11
S 6 N 8
T 13 F 1
P 4 J 10

After reading a bit I'm pretty sure I use Te/Fi.

One thing I've noticed is that for INxJ especially, Te and Fe appear to be very, very similar. Especially if one is experienced in social contexts, Ni will decipher these and essentially "broadcast" Fe signals for all the Fe people to read. In my real life interactions, xxFJs tend to believe I am a kindred spirit, because I send all the proper signals. This tends to fall apart online, because Fe doesn't transmit too well in text, especially when discussing/arguing objective matters that can be interpreted subjectively.

However, while Ni appears to be able to broadcast both Te-style and Fe-style signals, INTJs seem to only be able to understand Te with any fluency, and INFJs only seem to receive Fe with real fluency. INTJs will totally miss a bunch of social implications that are totally obvious to INFJs, while INFJs will assume a bunch of social signals being conveyed, when all that is happening is a bunch of Te-style objective information is being sent.

So, if you often feel socially clueless, and tend to have the INTJ social problems, you're most likely INTJ. No matter how "feeling" you are, INTJs have strong feelings, but tend to hide them, even from themselves, so "having feelings" is not an INTJ disqualifier. It's as silly as asserting that INFJs can't think.

However, if you are really socially adept, or at least socially aware, and have been so for most of your life, you're more likely INFJ, no matter how smart and analytical you are.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I am out with someone eating at a restaurant, I would feel bad the rest of the day if one of the others didn't like the food. It stresses me when others aren't pleased.

I'd go with Fe over Fi on this.....but in general you sound like an NF to me. Your writing style is "softer" than INTJs. I'll go with INFJ.

Amalie

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
Hm.. Ok. I don't have any problems in getting the social keys. I've been told I have problems in getting when people make jokes, but I think it's more because of a slight lack in confidence, so that I have to be sure. :)

I thought I'd post this too. A bit interesting. Seems I use both Fi and Ti most.. I really don't think I have such a strong Fe, and it's proven through tests over and over again. :)

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************************** (27.5)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) *************************** (27.4)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (29.7)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************* (25.4)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.4)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************************ (48.8)
excellent use

Maybe I am still in development. I'm 15, so I might develop more towards one of the two in the following years. :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah... well, if you're only 15... haha... it may be too soon to tell on this. No offense.

Although..you seem convinced you're INTJ, and if you're convinced of something, you're going to test as such. I mean, the test where you scored 13 for 'T' and 1 for 'F'. I tend to think you've decided you're not F, hence you're relating to the T questions. I'd be willing to put money down that in another month or two, if you decide maybe you're F instead, that you'll test as such. :) And..the first test really contradicts the cognitive functions one... cog. functions has F (Fi) as incredibly high, which contradicts your incredibly low F on the first test.

So if we're going to judge strictly by the cognitive functions test, you're neither INTJ or INFJ - your Te is lower just like the Fe, AND your Fi is clearly the highest. Which would mean you're IxFP (your Ne and Se scores are pretty close). My point being: you have to take these tests with a grain of salt. With the exception of Fi and Fe, all of the other functions are statistically pretty close. Nothing pops out significantly.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Don't put too much weight on the cognitive functions tests. They can help give you an idea of what the functions are about, but they really don't weight them well enough to actually determine your type.

Spent some time browsing the forum, or perhaps watching INTJ and INFJ youtube videos. Also, if you think you're using Fi, review INFP videos, too. and check out the INTP videos for completeness. While some of the videos are of mistyped people, in general you can glean a pattern of what INTJ is like, vs INFJ, vs INFP vs INTP. Certain types will seem more likable and familiar, while others will grate on your nerves. When you figure out which seem more sensible to you, you'll be closer to understanding your own.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uumlau's right. Go with your intuition.

The best way to determine your type is to go with the one that you feel best fits you. Read up the descriptions on each type to see which one applies the best to you. If it sounds familiar, it most likely is your type.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
@Craft: Using smileys and emoticons do not necessarily mean that you're an F. It is an Fe trait, yes, but it's certainly not solid proof that she's an INFJ. I'm an INTJ (my T is weak, but I still identify with the type slightly more than INFJ) and I use emoticons fairly often. I know some other Ts that use them, too.

@Amalie: I can relate to you quite well. I've questioned whether I was an INTJ or INFJ many times. The vibes I get from your posts are more INFJ than INTJ, but since your test results seem to indicate otherwise, I would say that you're an INTJ with a well-developed Fi.

However, you do seem more keen on being an INTJ than an INFJ, so I think you may have answered according to what you want the results be to instead of what you actually are. Be sure to be as honest as possible with yourself when taking these tests. I find it very strange that someone so in tune with their Fi would get T 13/F 1. I would expect you to get something like T 8/F 6.

Would you mind taking the Big Five Personality Test? That may give you more insight into what you are. If you get RCOEI or RLOEI, then you are probably an INTJ. If you get RCOAI or RLOAI, then you're probably an INFJ. If you get something else, then ... Well, I'm not sure, but the test should give you more insight into your MBTI type.

Amalie

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
So tests aren't countable anymore? I try as far as it's possible to be honest. I've taken the Myers-Briggs test three times and gotten INTJ twice and INFJ once. In the beginning I thought I was INFJ because I am such a sensitive person with extreme feelings (yep, extreme), but then I read that description of INTJ I posted here (did anyone read it?), and it is very very me.

I was thinking about maybe writing a bit longer text about myself with more aspects included than the first I wrote. Would it help?

Havane, I appreciate your post. I took the test. I thought some questions were hard to answer, such as "Do you make people feel welcome?". When you first meet me, sure, I'll be nice and respectful. When you get closer to me, though, I'm a stubborn beast that not necessarily makes anyone welcome. :)

I didn't see any result like RCOEI or RCOAI, where is it?

Sociability ||| 6%
Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||||| 56%
Assertiveness |||||||||||||||||||||||||||| 82%
Activity Level ||||||||||||||| 42%
Excitement-Seeking ||| 8%
Enthusiasm ||||||||| 21%
Extroversion |||||||||||| 35%
Trust |||||| 18%
Submissiveness ||||||||||||||| 50%
Altruism ||||||||| 22%
Cooperation ||| 2%
Modesty |||||||||||| 34%