• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

gromit an ISFP?

gromit

likes this
So I will try to summarize that memoir...

Recurring themes:
  • Intellectual precision (details/facts/follow-through, etc.)
  • Personal values
  • Opinions of others
  • Self-acceptance

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not seeing much indicating ISFP over ENFP.

The following two items strike me as particularly "N":

• Accepting that I am not defective, spiritually... this one has been huge. I have decided to maintain the faith tradition of my childhood, even though I feel like I understand a lot of concepts a lot differently (i.e. less literally) from most other people in the community. I have come to the realization that we just speak different "faith languages" and instead of letting myself feel alienated by that, just teaching myself to translate it in my mind, relate it to the ideas that I understand, which relates to the next "lesson"...
  • Integrating all of my moral/philosophical/spiritual ideas into a holistic system... it makes sense inside of me, but when I tried to articulate it all through an email correspondence with a friend recently, but it was really frustrating... it is just too deep/wide, but little bits can crop up into conversation here and there (I am imagining this is me developing/starting to master Fi, which might also be why that is coming out as my primary cognitive function at this point in my life)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jeffster, I guess it is difficult for me to know which roles I fill naturally anymore. Maybe I am having a bit of a minor identity crisis and so I'm trying to get to the "core" of myself, but it does seem that there are several roles I can do with ease...

What do you LIVE for? What keeps you getting up in the morning?

gromit

likes this
What do you LIVE for? What keeps you getting up in the morning?
This is a pretty difficult question. I have been thinking about it all afternoon, believe it or not...

I live for... meaning, spiritual and intellectual. I spend a tremendous amount of effort on how I can grow as a person, how I can have more sincere and loving relationships with the different people in my life. I want my existence to contribute something to the world. I love to learn. I love cherishing all that this rich and complex universe has to offer, savoring little moments, beautiful little details. I love creating a place where people can feel safe in their emotions...

I just... believe in goodness and redemption in our daily lives, though I have certainly known sorrow.

I'm not seeing much indicating ISFP over ENFP.
You seeing more that is indicating ENFP over ISFP? That makes me a little sad, somehow...

The following two items strike me as particularly "N":
How so? Not more Fi?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is a pretty difficult question. I have been thinking about it all afternoon, believe it or not...

I live for... meaning, spiritual and intellectual. I spend a tremendous amount of effort on how I can grow as a person, how I can have more sincere and loving relationships with the different people in my life. I want my existence to contribute something to the world. I love to learn. I love cherishing all that this rich and complex universe has to offer, savoring little moments, beautiful little details. I love creating a place where people can feel safe in their emotions...

I just... believe in goodness and redemption in our daily lives, though I have certainly known sorrow.

Idealist. (NF)

See? That was easy. :) Your words portray your main role as identity-seeking. The Guardians (SJ) are primarily security-seeking, Artisans (SP) sensation-seeking, and the Rationals (NT) knowledge-seeking. It doesn't mean that we don't all seek those things some of the time, but there is almost always one that rises to the top when you bottom-line consider what you really live for.

For instance, as I'm typing this my son just fell down the stairs. He said "Ow! My arm hurts and my neck hurts and my toe!! Owww!........That was fun! I wanna do it again!" and he has proceeded to throw himself down the stairs three more times since I started this. No question he is sensation-seeking above all else. ;) Yes, all kids love to play. But if you pay attention, you can see that they play somewhat differently, and this is another example of temperament in action.

So, we've figured out Idealist. If you want to narrow down to one of the specific "role variants" I can help with that too, if you want.

gromit

likes this
So, we've figured out Idealist. If you want to narrow down to one of the specific "role variants" I can help with that too, if you want.

Okay... I mean yes, please. Is there another question like "What do you LIVE for" for role variants?

For instance, as I'm typing this my son just fell down the stairs. He said "Ow! My arm hurts and my neck hurts and my toe!! Owww!........That was fun! I wanna do it again!" and he has proceeded to throw himself down the stairs three more times since I started this. No question he is sensation-seeking above all else. ;) Yes, all kids love to play. But if you pay attention, you can see that they play somewhat differently, and this is another example of temperament in action.
But I'm not certain I would not have been that child... isn't it different comparing children to adults?

Idealist. (NF)

See? That was easy. :) Your words portray your main role as identity-seeking. The Guardians (SJ) are primarily security-seeking, Artisans (SP) sensation-seeking, and the Rationals (NT) knowledge-seeking.
Also, why are Ns split up by F/T and the Ss split up by J/P?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay... I mean yes, please. Is there another question like "What do you LIVE for" for role variants?

Not quite as much of a simple one, but yes. First one I would ask would be, do you feel like you are naturally inclined to be directive or informative? In other words, do you tend to spend more time telling people (including yourself) what you believe they should or can do OR do you spend more time informing people about your own beliefs or values or issues?

But I'm not certain I would not have been that child... isn't it different comparing children to adults?

Absolutely. And you can't just go by one incident. That was just an example. I'm observed my son for almost eleven years now, and especially since I started really learning about type theories in 2008, I've asked him questions and paid attention to his actions in the context of the theories to get a strong idea of what truly motivates him. Being that he is such an expressive/extroverted child, it hasn't been as difficult as it might have been if he was less so.

As I said, we all seek these four primary ways to happiness, especially as children, but we seek them in varying degrees. And even in children, if you observe them carefully you can see the patterns start to emerge of what they truly go back to time and again.

Also, why are Ns split up by F/T and the Ss split up by J/P?

The short answer is that it's just a coincidence. Now, others have theorized why, mentally, people of these types tend to share common behaviors across the Meyers scales that way, but the bottom line is that Keirsey agreed with Isabel Myers' conclusions that there were significant common behaviors across all four NF types and all four NT types, but did not see as much commonality between SF and ST. But when he compared types that shared SP and SJ in their type, it seemed to form a much more natural grouping, and one that lined up with the historical precedents of four temperament theories that he had previously studied.