• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or INTP? or even something else?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
I always thought I was INTJ but am having doubts. First off, I know very little about the cognitive functions and the test I took didn't run properly, but am I right in thinking you have to add up the boxes ticked for how much things apply to you to get what your functions are and then the highest for each is what you get? I got

se - 5
si - 12
te - 14
ti - 22
fe - 10
fi - 20
ne - 16
ni - 11

so basically, my functions are

ti
fi
si
ne

and that doesn't directly correlate to anything, but it seems pretty close to intp. I might have got the extra i because I'm very introverted, but I don't know. Also, I was a little confused by some of the statements so I could have mistakes there. Anyway, on the mbti test, I always come up as INTJ, though judging is my least prevelant. I get like 15 or something usually. I find that I tend to fit more closely with INTJ profile, though I do have some traits of INTP such as laziness and doubting myself (although that could be due to my anxiety, which could have something to do with my introversion). Anyway, I just wanted to know what type do you think I am and am I taking this test correctly?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should look into the many threads about the differences between the two. I consider these two types very different. It's a boss(INTJ) and an idler(INTP).

Physical Implementation or Thought construction?

Leader or Adviser?

goodgrief

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs don't tend to lead unless they feel it is necessary. I myself am no good at telling people what to do and being listened to.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTJs don't tend to lead unless they feel it is necessary. I myself am no good at telling people what to do and being listened to.

^I was waiting for this. I = solitary (more or less).

Not that INTJ's can't be leaders of people, but it would almost be like saying that extroverts are studious. They can be if they want to be, but it may not come as natural as it does for an introvert.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
^I was waiting for this. I = solitary (more or less).

Not that INTJ's can't be leaders of people, but it would almost be like saying that extroverts are studious. They can be if they want to be, but it may not come as natural as it does for an introvert.

When all else fails, an INTJ will step up and lead.

R

Riva

Holy mother of God. When INTJs (real ones) say you to do something you don't feel like questioning them ever. Lead you they can.

R

Riva

INTP

INTJs wouldn't have doubts as to what there type is. Decisive they are. Wouldn't care and doesn't believe that others would be better at telling them what their type is.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) Forget functions tests.

2) Read up on the functions.

3) Figure out which functional grouping describes your outlook best.

Studiousness is unrelated to introversion/extroversion. ESTJs are, by and large, far more studious than ISFPs.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I always thought I was INTJ but am having doubts. First off, I know very little about the cognitive functions and the test I took didn't run properly, but am I right in thinking you have to add up the boxes ticked for how much things apply to you to get what your functions are and then the highest for each is what you get? I got

se - 5
si - 12
te - 14
ti - 22
fe - 10
fi - 20
ne - 16
ni - 11

so basically, my functions are

ti
fi
si
ne

and that doesn't directly correlate to anything, but it seems pretty close to intp. I might have got the extra i because I'm very introverted, but I don't know. Also, I was a little confused by some of the statements so I could have mistakes there. Anyway, on the mbti test, I always come up as INTJ, though judging is my least prevelant. I get like 15 or something usually. I find that I tend to fit more closely with INTJ profile, though I do have some traits of INTP such as laziness and doubting myself (although that could be due to my anxiety, which could have something to do with my introversion). Anyway, I just wanted to know what type do you think I am and am I taking this test correctly?
Does anyone have any answers for my questions though?
Alright then. ANSWER MY QUESIONS NOW!
Good grief, calm down. No, you are not taking the test correctly, or else the test itself is flawed. This sounds a lot like a test that was recently torn apart as invalid. It's reading that you are an introvert and projecting that onto everything else.

I suspect MBTI tests have taken you as far as they're likely to at this point. Besides, once you become familiar with MBTI you can (consciously or subconsciously) manipulate the results to tell you what you want to hear. You can and should use tests to help narrow your possibilities initially, but ultimately you probably need to look at descriptions of the different types and functions and see what fits best.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Holy mother of God. When INTJs (real ones) say you to do something you don't feel like questioning them ever. Lead you they can.

INTP

INTJs wouldn't have doubts as to what there type is. Decisive they are. Wouldn't care and doesn't believe that others would be better at telling them what their type is.

I get the feeling you're putting INTJ's on something of a pedestal. In my line of interest I meet quite a lot and most really aren't this fearsome, decisive or self-assured. In fact the ones I knew, were led by little old P me...

Maybe when they get older, the ones I know are early 20's.

R

Riva

I get the feeling you're putting INTJ's on something of a pedestal. In my line of interest I meet quite a lot and most really aren't this fearsome, decisive or self-assured. In fact the ones I knew, were led by little old P me...

Maybe when they get older, the ones I know are early 20's.

When I said INTJ, I mean the type of INTJs that would never cast a doubt on their type. Stereotypical INTJs. And the three INTJs I know and are close to are stereotypical INTJs.

And decisive they are. Not the most charismatic. But people who knows them never doubt their decisions (except when it comes to feelings of others').

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
When I said INTJ, I mean the type of INTJs that would never cast a doubt on their type. Stereotypical INTJs. And the three INTJs I know and are close to are stereotypical INTJs.

And decisive they are. Not the most charismatic. But people who knows them never doubt their decisions (except when it comes to feelings of others').

The trouble is that the stereotypes aren't helpful to those of us (the majority IMO) who aren't stereotpyical! :tongue:

R

Riva

The trouble is that the stereotypes aren't helpful to those of us (the majority IMO) who aren't stereotpyical! :tongue:

True.
The three people I talked about have been friends of mine for years. I know too much about them not to easily label them as INTJs. Infact I have also given them the tests. (which they did and didn't smile as usual :doh:)

On topic again.
INTJs are sure of themselves. Especially their strengths and weaknesses. If they read a description of INTP they would know for sure that something is wrong. And they would know for sure that INTJs description hits jack pot.

They know they are not social butterflies.
They also know that they know enough to know themselves.

But they never ever know that they are AssHoles. ;)

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Nice bit of Ti-Ti cooperation...now that we've refined the definition, I can agree. ;)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You should look into the many threads about the differences between the two. I consider these two types very different. It's a boss(INTJ) and an idler(INTP).

That's best case scenario for the INTJ and worst case for the INTP. It's not a very fair comparison.

It's about equivalent to saying INTP vs. INTJ is an astrophysicist vs. a conspiracy theory nut.