• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFJ, ENTJ, or ENFP?

lasdf23

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Hi all,

I'm quite confused about my personality expressed on MBTI.

I have consistently tested as an ENFJ throughout high school, then ENTJ during first two years of college. I grew up under a very strict academic environment, so I was very competitive with my achievements up until the first two years of college.

Then my boyfriend of two years broke up with me, I started becoming much more introspective, lately I have been a lot more relaxed about my attitude toward school and my future, I am able to enjoy my life more. Then I took the MBTI test for fun, and for the first time it came out as ENFP.

The problem is, each and every time I have taken the test, all parameters fall very close to the center besides N. The latest result as an ENFP came like this:

E (58%) / I (42%)
S (32%) / N (68%)
T (42%) / F (58%)
J (47%) / P (53%)

My intuition tells me that I'm closer to ENFJ/ENFP than ENTJ. But I do turn on my logical thinking when necessary (when working), and while that happens, I do not think in terms of F at all...

Some of the things I have noticed about myself:
  • I can be quite social, have friends from multiple mutually exclusive groups, and I adjust myself to interact with every single one of these groups.
  • When I do school work, I completely turn my F off. I become very precise in speech, directive, and analytical/logical. Many friends who worked with me on project have pointed out that I become very impersonal and direct. But somehow I have a hard time applying those clear-cut logic on how I deal with people relationships.
  • I like social gatherings, but it usually takes me a lot energy to get my mindset ready for going out. Once I'm out I go all out and have a blast, but I feel very drained and needs to RECHARGE in solitude for a long time.
  • I'm very interested in people. especially their potentials. When I see my friends not living up to their full capabilities, it makes my heart ache and I will try to show them that in a very subtle way (like asking them how much work do you have and make them feel guilty possibly if they haven't done their work yet, though I won't say the latter part)
  • I notice relationships and changes very easily. I think at the very bottom of my consciousness I assume continuity in life.
  • I notice little things that other people may dismiss. I'm always the first to notice somebody's haircut, a cute squirrel on the street, etc. People have called me scatter-brained recently because of that. Don't know what to feel about it, but I'm strangely proud of it.
  • When I get attached to people, I GET ATTACHED. I will often see off the relationship deteriorate until the very end, until it's absolutely unsalvagable. I go into extremely aggitated/grieving state afterwards, and often wonder if the other person thought I was psycho for pouring my feelings out so freely.

I know you can't easily type people's personalities into 16 categories, but I want to understand my cognitive styles, and there are so much difference between an ENFJ, ENFP, and an ENTJ. If I can choose freely which cognitive functions I find myself using often, they would be N(i/e), F(i/e), Te, and Si but I've thought of myself as a milder less people crazy form of ENFJ for a long while, it would be a rude awakening.. like an identity crisis if I turned out to be an ENFP.

What could be some explanations to my MBTI types? I would appreciate any comments!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it's not very accurate, but you should take the cognitive function test. you can find a link on here. Also, consider making a video for the type thread........:) and we'll give you our feedback.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
You sound like a judging enfp. but i can relate to all of those things you mentioned, even turning off the F in necessary times.

I feel like you'd KNOW if you were an entj.

but do you LIKE being a leader? that would point more to enfj than enfp.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You sound very much like me in my early to mid 20s. I've learned to become a bit more temperate in my relationships with age. When I was younger, it was a disaster.

The only thing you said that I cannot relate to is your ability to notice things like haircuts or things on the street. I. Am. Oblivious. Or, when it comes to things like haircuts, I'll think, "Something is different. Damn. What is it?....Ohhhh yeah..."

Otherwise, I could have written your post.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I can very much relate to alot of what the OP said. When I was younger, I thought I was an ENFP, because I was more carefree. Now I'm VERY career and goal oriented, and can be very Ti and analytical in some situations. I too grew up in a very success oriented environment. If I were to describe what motivates me as a person, 1# is achievements, and 2# connecting with people.

However know I'm an ENFJ because I'm alot more organized and focused than ENFPs, my values are like a religion to me, and the things that annoy me the most about people are lack of responsibility and dependability. I've wondered if I was an ENTJ, but I'm too hyper aware of everyone's emotions in a group around me, and relate easily to people.

As far as noticing the details in the surroundings, an INTJ friend of mine has actually commented on that about me recently... we'll walk down the street and I notice all kinds of little things in the buildings and atmosphere. The details affect me more at work though, I notice little things like random missing spaces/periods.

The only thing I don't relate to in your post is a) being very drained by social gatherings, and b) getting super attached in relationships.

Re ENFJ = leader, I have to add that while I naturally gravitate to being the leader, I am uncomfortable there because I'm afraid of bulldozing over people with my opinion, or being controlling. This seems to be a maturity thing.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I do not gravitate toward leading at all, the very prospect makes me anxious because of indecision and fear of aggrivating others.

the super attachment thing to people is like.. the story of my life...

what is the MAIN difference between enfps and enfjs? is it just the issue of enfjs being more focused? and more attuned to leadership?

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
BlackCat pointed me to the cognitive processes, which helped me better understand myself. You ENFPs are so free and spontaneous, I envy that about you. Domino (ENFJ) also has all kinds of great examples between her and her ENFP sister being significantly more open.

Cognitive Processes

ENFJs are dominant Fe, Ni, Se, Ti. Whereas ENFPs are Ne, Fi, Te, Si. ENFP fits perfectly with the OP's self described function order.

I'd imagine as an ENFJ I have significantly less patience with incompetent people, and I have this ridiculous sense of responsibility and agenda to accomplish... My ESFP friend is always teasing me about it.

Fecal McAngry

Hi all,

I have consistently tested as an ENFJ throughout high school, then ENTJ during first two years of college. I grew up under a very strict academic environment, so I was very competitive with my achievements up until the first two years of college.

Then my boyfriend of two years broke up with me, I started becoming much more introspective, lately I have been a lot more relaxed about my attitude toward school and my future, I am able to enjoy my life more. Then I took the MBTI test for fun, and for the first time it came out as ENFP.

The problem is, each and every time I have taken the test, all parameters fall very close to the center besides N. The latest result as an ENFP came like this:

E (58%) / I (42%)
S (32%) / N (68%)
T (42%) / F (58%)
J (47%) / P (53%)

My intuition tells me that I'm closer to ENFJ/ENFP than ENTJ. But I do turn on my logical thinking when necessary (when working), and while that happens, I do not think in terms of F at all...

• I can be quite social, have friends from multiple mutually exclusive groups, and I adjust myself to interact with every single one of these groups.
  • When I do school work, I completely turn my F off. I become very precise in speech, directive, and analytical/logical. Many friends who worked with me on project have pointed out that I become very impersonal and direct. But somehow I have a hard time applying those clear-cut logic on how I deal with people relationships.
  • I like social gatherings, but it usually takes me a lot energy to get my mindset ready for going out. Once I'm out I go all out and have a blast, but I feel very drained and needs to RECHARGE in solitude for a long time.
  • I'm very interested in people. especially their potentials. When I see my friends not living up to their full capabilities, it makes my heart ache and I will try to show them that in a very subtle way (like asking them how much work do you have and make them feel guilty possibly if they haven't done their work yet, though I won't say the latter part)
  • I notice relationships and changes very easily. I think at the very bottom of my consciousness I assume continuity in life.
  • I notice little things that other people may dismiss. I'm always the first to notice somebody's haircut, a cute squirrel on the street, etc. People have called me scatter-brained recently because of that. Don't know what to feel about it, but I'm strangely proud of it.
  • When I get attached to people, I GET ATTACHED. I will often see off the relationship deteriorate until the very end, until it's absolutely unsalvagable. I go into extremely aggitated/grieving state afterwards, and often wonder if the other person thought I was psycho for pouring my feelings out so freely.

I know you can't easily type people's personalities into 16 categories, but I want to understand my cognitive styles, and there are so much difference between an ENFJ, ENFP, and an ENTJ. If I can choose freely which cognitive functions I find myself using often, they would be N(i/e), F(i/e), Te, and Si but I've thought of myself as a milder less people crazy form of ENFJ for a long while, it would be a rude awakening.. like an identity crisis if I turned out to be an ENFP.

What could be some explanations to my MBTI types? I would appreciate any comments!

You are clearly not a T. Are you certain you're an extrovert?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can very much relate to alot of what the OP said. When I was younger, I thought I was an ENFP, because I was more carefree. Now I'm VERY career and goal oriented, and can be very Ti and analytical in some situations. I too grew up in a very success oriented environment. If I were to describe what motivates me as a person, 1# is achievements, and 2# connecting with people.

However know I'm an ENFJ because I'm alot more organized and focused than ENFPs, my values are like a religion to me, and the things that annoy me the most about people are lack of responsibility and dependability. I've wondered if I was an ENTJ, but I'm too hyper aware of everyone's emotions in a group around me, and relate easily to people.

As far as noticing the details in the surroundings, an INTJ friend of mine has actually commented on that about me recently... we'll walk down the street and I notice all kinds of little things in the buildings and atmosphere. The details affect me more at work though, I notice little things like random missing spaces/periods.

The only thing I don't relate to in your post is a) being very drained by social gatherings, and b) getting super attached in relationships.

Re ENFJ = leader, I have to add that while I naturally gravitate to being the leader, I am uncomfortable there because I'm afraid of bulldozing over people with my opinion, or being controlling. This seems to be a maturity thing.

Hi all,

E (58%) / I (42%)
S (32%) / N (68%)
T (42%) / F (58%)
J (47%) / P (53%)

Ill be the second enfj to jump in and say enfj. you dont sound enfp at all. if i really went into detail on why, the enfps would just turn this into a pissing match about who's more/less:
--logical
--responsible
--open
--attached
--needing alone time

so rather than that pissing match, ill just say that you sound more NFJ

lasdf23

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
You are clearly not a T. Are you certain you're an extrovert?

Out of the 10+ times I've taken MBTI tests, I came up as an I only once. I do think I'm an E, but a more private E at that. I talk easily with strangers, I have no problem expressing my thoughts and emotions (if anything people say I'm too expressive at times). Yet, I don't know how to explain feeling drained after going out/partying. I'm definitely more of a "pop a DVD in make some food and chill with a small group of friends" type of person than the life of a party. Very low maintenance. I figured, the reason why I don't like going out much is because I don't believe the kind of people you meet at parties are prospects for meaningful long term relationships/friendships. So I'd rather prefer staying in with a few of close friends.

do you LIKE being a leader? that would point more to enfj than enfp

I can definitely be a strong driver in a group, freely contributing thoughts and ideas. And I could act like a leader if I wanted to. But in actuality, I would rather not be in charge because I do not like organizing meetings or maintaining communication among the group. I'm not organized in that way. I plan my day out in my mind mentally, or will do research about restaurants before heading over, but I am bad with writing timelines and schedules. Those are boring things best and I don't feel guilty at all leaving that function for the ESFJ in my group to take charge of, for example.

Come to think of it, my primary thinking function should probably be Ti instead of Te now that I examine a bit more closely with the Cognitive Processes chart. But I feel like I have equally balanced tendencies towards Fe and Fi, as well as Ne and Ni. I still can't get a concrete sense of difference between Se and Si, but I do have a pretty strong Si for sure.

I found the link to the cognitive processes test but I can't afford to pay :-(

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Check out the signiture...we're almost the same :hug:

I have tested INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTJ, ENTP, INFJ (I think the only N I haven't tested is INTJ). It depends on the test and the day, but the results are always close to xNxx. I do however test most often as an ENFJ.

I can find bits of my personality in most N descriptions, ENFJ is probably the most accurate, although I still don't relate to a good bit of it. I just think of myself as an eNfj instead of an ENFJ. I am definitely pretty moderate in 3 of the 4 functions.

*shrug*

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I have tested INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTJ, ENTP, INFJ (I think the only N I haven't tested is INTJ). It depends on the test and the day, but the results are always close to xNxx. I do however test most often as an ENFJ.

I can find bits of my personality in most N descriptions, ENFJ is probably the most accurate, although I still don't relate to a good bit of it. I just think of myself as an eNfj instead of an ENFJ. I am definitely pretty moderate in 3 of the 4 functions.

*shrug*

whats funny is that you're an enneagram 2 (a very FJ friendly number). I would generally think that not feeling like a "fit" with 100% of a type comes down to enneagram differences...but apparently not, in your case :).

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
whats funny is that you're an enneagram 2 (a very FJ friendly number). I would generally think that not feeling like a "fit" with 100% of a type comes down to enneagram differences...but apparently not, in your case :).

Barely a 2, as well. 9...and I think 7 are very close (hard to remember...I have the breakdown posted somewhere...I just can't remember where :) ). It's mostly the manipulative, controling, need to be needed stuff that just does not ring true to me. And I think I am way more laid back than the ENFJ and type 2 descriptions...as well as in comparison to the ENFJ's I know. I think I am kind of like what the described ENFJ would be like if she was really, really high on pot :)

lasdf23

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4

*shrug*

Wow I'd really love to meet you in person! haha

So I just took the Cognitive Processes test, and the answer actually came out to be ENTP:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************* (21.6)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.1)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.8)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************ (36.7)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************** (26.7)
average use

After a tweaking it for a bit more, it came out as ENFP as well.

Looks like I'm really leaning towards a P more at this point. I do notice I am very easily bored, often doesn't finish a pet project, etc.

What perplexes me is the T or F thing. I do find myself expressing care for people, constantly asking "hey, what's up, how are you?" but that could very well be because I grew up in Japan where customary formal greetings are an ESSENTIAL part of all interpersonal relationships.

I also notice that when my friends genuinely have a problem, all I can say is "aw I'm really sorry for you..." and then offer some objective advices. And I have always equated that with the ENFJ's "offering to help, genuinely care for other people" but at the same time, I cannot help but feel slightly superficial at my attempts. It's like, I'm solving a problem for others. I am interested in people and how people interact. But I do not make my friends' problems my own, if you will.. so that could be an argument against ENFP.

I do like to argue like one would typically find on the ENTP description, but I make sure I do not offend people when I do that. Again, this could be attributed to me growing up in a culture where harmony is valued above all else.

ahh. I wish I knew.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow I'd really love to meet you in person! haha

So I just took the Cognitive Processes test, and the answer actually came out to be ENTP:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.2)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************* (21.6)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.1)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.8)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************************ (36.7)
excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************** (26.7)
average use

After a tweaking it for a bit more, it came out as ENFP as well.

Looks like I'm really leaning towards a P more at this point. I do notice I am very easily bored, often doesn't finish a pet project, etc.

What perplexes me is the T or F thing. I do find myself expressing care for people, constantly asking "hey, what's up, how are you?" but that could very well be because I grew up in Japan where customary formal greetings are an ESSENTIAL part of all interpersonal relationships.

I also notice that when my friends genuinely have a problem, all I can say is "aw I'm really sorry for you..." and then offer some objective advices. And I have always equated that with the ENFJ's "offering to help, genuinely care for other people" but at the same time, I cannot help but feel slightly superficial at my attempts. It's like, I'm solving a problem for others. I am interested in people and how people interact. But I do not make my friends' problems my own, if you will.. so that could be an argument against ENFP.

I do like to argue like one would typically find on the ENTP description, but I make sure I do not offend people when I do that. Again, this could be attributed to me growing up in a culture where harmony is valued above all else.

ahh. I wish I knew.

from looking at your numbers I still see ENFJ. If you were ENFP, we would expect you to have closer Ne and Ni, but instead we see high Fe and Fi. Ti is also way higher than Te...and Se is about the strength I'd expect in an ENXJ.

(on these sorts of tests, most people test very high in their combined 1 and 5, but not as high on their combined 2 and 6 functions for whatever their type is)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You'll find it much easier to type yourself when you stop ataching yourself to everything around you. You're hiding who you really are behind meaningless qualities, younger people are pretty well encouraged to do this by their friends and tv and everything, it's rediculous how many people fall into the trap.

Well, you're probably a perciever at the very least.