• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ OR ISTJ? WHAT ARE THE MAIN DIFFERENCES

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am now really quite confused about this. I believed someone to be an INTJ but a friend suggested they were more ISTJ and upon further reading i think they may be. I could really use some help understanding how the two types differ from each other. I have read the descriptions of both but i'm still uncertain. I also read a thread of an ISTJ which sounded so much like this person it was a little scary. Maybe i should post some info about said mysterious untyped person? but i'm unsure what i should say about them to help type them, any ideas?

(thank you)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Putting up information will help us type them, but it wont help you much, so I'll try and elaborate upon the differences between the two.

ISTJs are primary Si users, which means that they prefer to work with information that they consider to be reliable. To an extent, that is true of everyone, but for the ISTJ, it is particularly emphasised. Facts tend to be more easily verified than ideas, so the ISTJ will often focus upon them, rather than abstract concepts. However, it is the certainty of the knowledge that is important to them, rather than it's exact nature. That said, being auxillary Te users, they will often use the foundation of reliable information for practicle ends, such as completeing a given task in the safest, surest way known to them.

INTJs are primary Ni user, which means that they tend to focus in more on ideas and possibilities than the ISTJ. A new concept is more interesting to them than just another fact, because the concept its ramifications can be explored. Also being auxillary Te users, INTJs are frequently marked by a desire to turn the theoretical and untested into a workable reality.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Putting up information will help us type them, but it wont help you much, so I'll try and elaborate upon the differences between the two.

ISTJs are primary Si users, which means that they prefer to work with information that they consider to be reliable. To an extent, that is true of everyone, but for the ISTJ, it is particularly emphasised. Facts tend to be more easily verified than ideas, so the ISTJ will often focus upon them, rather than abstract concepts. However, it is the certainty of the knowledge that is important to them, rather than it's exact nature. That said, being auxillary Te users, they will often use the foundation of reliable information for practicle ends, such as completeing a given task in the safest, surest way known to them.

INTJs are primary Ni user, which means that they tend to focus in more on ideas and possibilities than the ISTJ. A new concept is more interesting to them than just another fact, because the concept its ramifications can be explored. Also being auxillary Te users, INTJs are frequently marked by a desire to turn the theoretical and untested into a workable reality.

Yes, this is what i am confused by, i see both in this person but probably more of the former, the s.
I know this person does everything to the letter in most things and completes everything. (i am a little envious of this)
But they also completely surprise me at times with being spontaneous which is something i do not expect with them at all. And then they have this streak of rebellion that surprises me.
Which would you say is more possessive and controlling of the two types? Or is that something you would not connect to type?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, this is what i am confused by, i see both in this person but probably more of the former, the s.
I know this person does everything to the letter in most things and completes everything. (i am a little envious of this)
But they also completely surprise me at times with being spontaneous which is something i do not expect with them at all. And then they have this streak of rebellion that surprises me.
Which would you say is more possessive and controlling of the two types? Or is that something you would not connect to type?

I think that either type has the potential to be controlling. Some examples of both will show those traits.

Don't be confused into thinking that Si means conformist! It doesn't. ISTJs are quite capable of disagreeing with the establishment, if they see it as opperating in a ineffectual or distasteful manor.

If you find your friends spontaneity surprising, it could well mean that they are an ISTJ. That type has Ne in the inferior possion, which means that it will only show itself in fits and burst, lying dormant most of the time.

I think ISTJ looks like the best fit.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It can be difficult to tell the difference between INTJ and ISTJ. Various tests had me pegged as ISTJ, at first. Part of the problem is that the tests' N vs S questions can be really quite stupid: "Do you prefer abstract theory or real factual details?" and variations on a theme. N is not a preference for "abstract theory" nor is S a preference for detail work. It's an abuse of the word "preference" in the MBTI context.

See, I "prefer" real factual details, because in real life, I know that if I don't have the real factual details (and it doesn't need to be many, just a good representative sample), then all of the various theories, thoughts and ideas floating around in my head are so much useless fluff. But really, I process things in terms of functional patterns that are not strongly anchored to specific details. I "memorize" functionality, not lists of detail. That's Ni. I process and match patterns, not specific events. That's Ni.

What one "prefers" in an MBTI context really means what one "uses"; it means how one actually processes incoming information, without regard to what one likes.

So, if your friend processes things "to the letter" as a matter of habit, and you don't see him regularly gain bizarre insights by noting how X works just like Y did, except for a couple of details, so he can use his understanding of Y to work with X and develop a deeper understanding of X, then your friend is probably ISTJ, regardless of how quirky and independent he might be.

Similarly, no matter how conventional, stick-in-the-mud, mundane, and boring your friend might be, if he can just look at a problem that looks unsolvable, solve it in his head, and then gets a bit frustrated as it takes forever to explain his solution and convince others of his solution, then he's likely to be INTJ.

MBTI doesn't indicate one's attitude, beliefs or emotional state. MBTI indicates how one processes incoming information and makes decisions based on that incoming information. The actual conclusions and attitudes of individuals of a given MBTI type can be remarkably disparate. The similarities you will see between individuals of a given MBTI type are far more functional than specific.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, this person became interested once they knew i was discussing thier type and then wanted to do the test....

Introverted (I) 56.25% Extroverted (E) 43.75%
Sensing (S) 71.43% Intuitive (N) 28.57%
Thinking (T) 56.41% Feeling (F) 43.59%
Judging (J) 75.76% Perceiving (P) 24.24%

How could i mistake them for an INTJ with such a strong s result?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
:D We were right then lol.

Coffee, big red, and a tasty sandwich, followed by an excellent result afterwards. (as he sat the test)

There are quite a few threads here dealing with ISTJ and ENFP relationships, even typing that in to google will bring back results that lead here so just trawl through them and see if anything matches up with what you are hoping to understand out of it.

I did it, hoping to post a few helpful links, but I wasn't sure which would be more relevant. :blush:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@Berbs,
Yes i think we may be onto something here, it looks all positive at the mo.
I'll check for threads and google
Communication is a very handy tool
P.s i have an idea for some more dresses, do not hide i will seek you out!