• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I ENTP or ENFP?

Tzatziki

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've just begun to explore the idea of typing (I'm a Neuroscience major but I've started to become interested in Psychology as well), and I'm trying to decide how to type myself.

I've never been officially tested, but I've mostly scored as ENTP in the basic online tests. However, they score me right on the edge (45/55% or closer), and I notice I have some traits of both personalities:

ENTP-like:
-I Love to argue, and I play devils advocate constantly. I always argue logically, even in the context of relationships, and I pride myself on never raising my voice.
-I'm not sure if this is ENTP, but someone in another thread described this - I'm not confrontational in an uncomfortable situation - I'd rather brush it off, leave and not say anything if I'm offended
-I'm always trying to fix people's problems. When someone cries I'm not always good at comforting them - my first instinct is, what's wrong and how can we fix it, and I'm not so good at the "everything's ok"
-I value competence/skill above all else. I always try to make friends with people who are passionate about something (even if its something weird), and I'm attracted most strongly to people who dedicate themselves to becoming skillful at something, be it sports, arts, etc.
-I'm hypercompetitive. I don't have to win to be happy, but I have to be at my best. I get far more satisfaction out of narrowly losing to someone thats better than me at a sport than I do at beating someone who's worse. I can't stand when people play around and don't take something seriously.

ENFP-like:
-I have a hard time letting go in relationships. This is the one that made me wonder about my type, because supposedly ENTPs are supposed to be good at this? And I'm reaaaally not. I always think everything's my fault, and am always trying to fix a relationship when it's way past fixing.
-I care a lot about the way other people think of me. In every social situation I'm constantly thinking about the way I want to present myself and trying to adapt to that ideal image, and I'm usually very good at it.
-I'm always my happiest when I make other people happy. I love playing host at a party. At my most introverted, I love watching my friends enjoy themselves even if I'm not having a good time.
-I need validation from other people about my talent/charity/etc. If I do something for someone and don't get praise or thanks my first instinct is to worry that I've offended or misread them.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas or insights! Thanks!

Nick

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I've just begun to explore the idea of typing (I'm a Neuroscience major but I've started to become interested in Psychology as well), and I'm trying to decide how to type myself.

I've never been officially tested, but I've mostly scored as ENTP in the basic online tests. However, they score me right on the edge (45/55% or closer), and I notice I have some traits of both personalities:

ENTP-like:
-I Love to argue, and I play devils advocate constantly. I always argue logically, even in the context of relationships, and I pride myself on never raising my voice.
-I'm not sure if this is ENTP, but someone in another thread described this - I'm not confrontational in an uncomfortable situation - I'd rather brush it off, leave and not say anything if I'm offended
-I'm always trying to fix people's problems. When someone cries I'm not always good at comforting them - my first instinct is, what's wrong and how can we fix it, and I'm not so good at the "everything's ok"
-I value competence/skill above all else. I always try to make friends with people who are passionate about something (even if its something weird), and I'm attracted most strongly to people who dedicate themselves to becoming skillful at something, be it sports, arts, etc.
-I'm hypercompetitive. I don't have to win to be happy, but I have to be at my best. I get far more satisfaction out of narrowly losing to someone thats better than me at a sport than I do at beating someone who's worse. I can't stand when people play around and don't take something seriously.

ENFP-like:
-I have a hard time letting go in relationships. This is the one that made me wonder about my type, because supposedly ENTPs are supposed to be good at this? And I'm reaaaally not. I always think everything's my fault, and am always trying to fix a relationship when it's way past fixing.
-I care a lot about the way other people think of me. In every social situation I'm constantly thinking about the way I want to present myself and trying to adapt to that ideal image, and I'm usually very good at it.
-I'm always my happiest when I make other people happy. I love playing host at a party. At my most introverted, I love watching my friends enjoy themselves even if I'm not having a good time.
-I need validation from other people about my talent/charity/etc. If I do something for someone and don't get praise or thanks my first instinct is to worry that I've offended or misread them.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas or insights! Thanks!

Nick

ENTP.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Almost certainly ENTP.

ENTPs care a lot about how they're perceived, much more than they let on. They need just as much validation as ENFPs, just a slightly different kind.

They may also have trouble letting go of relationships with people they really genuinely care about--the whole "jumping around from relationship to relationship" stereotype is just a function of the ENTP's difficulty with finding someone he really cares about and the ensuing boredom with everyone else. Once an ENTP is in a committed relationship with someone who really holds his interest, it can be very hard to let go.

Making others happy is not really unique to either ENP type. Remember ENTPs have Fe as well, which (if used in a healthy way) leads them to facilitate the enjoyment of and meet the needs of loved ones.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i say entp also

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Hello.

I relate to not being sure weither I am ENFP or ENTP

And I relate to all the points the OP refered to.

And I understand the justification for that he is an ENTP.

However, I don't understand why he is not an ENFP, could somebody clarify why ENFP is ruled out?

Thanks

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well...i was just going by the fact that i can read the entp profile and relate to a lot of it...parts of it that seem SO me that the enfp profile doesn't get into much...and then realizing that a lot of that is just ne or how i experience it...but for me my fi is a lot higher than my ti...so i'm totally an enfp and...i think the opposite is true for them....although you can certainly be an an enfp with high ti...or entp with high fi.

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
well...i was just going by the fact that i can read the entp profile and relate to a lot of it...parts of it that seem SO me that the enfp profile doesn't get into much...and then realizing that a lot of that is just ne or how i experience it...but for me my fi is a lot higher than my ti...so i'm totally an enfp and...i think the opposite is true for them....although you can certainly be an an enfp with high ti...or entp with high fi.

How do you really tell them apart?

Ti/Fi is the dilemma of my life here on typeC

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ti is about making objective distinctions based on what is known and what makes sense. A person that strongly utilizes Ti is someone that is readily willing to spend time on sifting through varied data in order to come to a refined or new conclusion, or a better explanation. They prefer to express their objective, analytical, intellectual side to others and tend to keep their subjective, emotional side more under wraps. They most trust what is logical or sensible.

Fi is about making subjective assessments based on what is personally valued and what feels right. A person that strongly utilizes Fi is someone that is readily willing to spend time on mulling over different ethical questions in order to come to a refined or new code of morale, or a better way of expressing their beliefs. They prefer to express their personal viewpoints and sensitive side to others and tend to keep their cool, objective, rational side more under wraps. They most trust what is "right" or "good".

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Ti is about making objective distinctions based on what is known and what makes sense. A person that strongly utilizes Ti is someone that is readily willing to spend time on sifting through varied data in order to come to a refined or new conclusion, or a better explanation. They prefer to express their objective, analytical, intellectual side to others and tend to keep their subjective, emotional side more under wraps. They most trust what is logical or sensible.

So Ti utilizers kind of value what they can trust through objective analyzis? Couldn't this really be Ti?

Fi is about making subjective assessments based on what is personally valued and what feels right. A person that strongly utilizes Fi is someone that is readily willing to spend time on mulling over different ethical questions in order to come to a refined or new code of morale, or a better way of expressing their beliefs. They prefer to express their personal viewpoints and sensitive side to others and tend to keep their cool, objective, rational side more under wraps. They most trust what is "right" or "good".

So Fi utilizers trust what is right or good? So, if an Fi-user gets their moral and ethics through objective analyzis, is it still Fi? Couldn't it just be Ti?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh shit...confused...who the hell knows what function they're using all the time anyway!!

all i know...is i can tell the difference between the way i judge things through fi and the way others judge things with ti...and then i have a friend who does both...and talk about mind f@*k!! but yeah...seems to be a bit like that...what you described...so perhaps you are an enfp with high...maddening ti :)

Jaguar

-I Love to argue, and I play devils advocate constantly.

Pop Quiz:

You're in pre-law class. The professor singles you out and asks:
"If you knew for certain your client was guilty of murder, could you defend him?"

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^^ oooh good one

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
more importantly yet... are you named after the absolutley delicious cucumber flecked sauce that dresses gyros? :huh:

if so, marry me! :wubbie:

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Pop Quiz:

"If you knew for certain your client was guilty of murder, could you defend him?"

You mean would right?

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Pop Quiz:

Hmmmm. I'm not even sure if this would suss out a T/F difference. ENTP's have their own moral code, and depending on who it was/what point they were at in their lives, this might not gel with it.

I would probably be a smartass and tell the prof that if I had been present during the murder, I would make a terrible attorney for agreeing to present the client in the first place. If I were not present for the murder, it is my responsibility to defend this client to the best of my ability, as everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty. Also, there is no way I can know for certain. If it's a hunch I have, the prosecution had better bring their game and be prepared to fight if someone is going to be charged with murder.

fusetah

MBTI Type
CAGE
Hmmmm. I'm not even sure if this would suss out a T/F difference. ENTP's have their own moral code, and depending on who it was/what point they were at in their lives, this might not gel with it.

I would probably be a smartass and tell the prof that if I had been present during the murder, I would make a terrible attorney for agreeing to present the client in the first place. If I were not present for the murder, it is my responsibility to defend this client to the best of my ability, as everyone should be considered innocent until proven guilty. Also, there is no way I can know for certain. If it's a hunch I have, the prosecution had better bring their game and be prepared to fight if someone is going to be charged with murder.

That professor would probably fail you. :D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think the OP could be either. There are ENFP traits in the ENTP section and ENTP traits in the ENFP section.

Both ENP types:
- Are very aware of external opinions and very good at adapting to their surroundings.
- Argue about relationships logically. "You can't rationalise people" would be a line ENFPs get told a lot. We still try.
- Neither type is very confrontational. They make the most of life and avoiding work.
- Both try to help people out, but their styles are significantly different. ENFPs might be more comfortable dealing with emotional or crying people, but also have trouble saying stuff that they don't mean, and normally take a logical approach to fixing problems.
- Value brilliance. I do as much as any ENTP I know. As ENFP I tend to set the bar in the stars and compete with the dead rather than try to win in my local vicinity though. ie. achievement and recognition seem more important to ENTPs, as do realistic goals.
- Have a hard time letting go. They both see the whys and question everything. Ts can even have more trouble than F in this area because it is less natural/comfortable for them to process. As ENFP I crash hard and am totally distracted by it, then it slowly finds its place.
- Like seeing others happy and people watching. Hosting IMO is a bit more of an ENTP trait.
- Need validation. As ENFP I really like to slip under the radar after doing anything charitable, but appreciate thanks. If no one thanked me for a long time I'd worry, but I normally trust my judgement on it. I do question as you said, but need more affirmation that I'm on the right path than external validation of ability or compassion. I often won't trust the compliments anyway.
- Love a challenge and would not settle for beating just anyone. Both are known for trying to play above their ability also.

The type's primary traits are quite similar and in the right mood they can be very hard to tell apart. ENTPs can seem more social, but ENFPs will seem more personal. ENTPs are more freely silly, ENFPs are more senselessly silly. ENTPs seem to need to be rational, ENFPs seem to think it is an optional tool.